Code of Conduct

Default Perfumes of The East IV: Mitti Attar

Continuing with my reviews of indian attars, here's a new one: my review of the Mitti attar. According to my Indian friend, this perfume is a staple of India. It smells of earth. I don't have Terre D'Hermes, so I can't make a comparison, but I'll do my best to describe it.

First, I will paste here a basic description that I found on the internet. It is very precise about how the perfume is made and smells:
    "....The fragrance of the earth, derived from distilling cakes of mud into sandalwood. This rich, earthy, soothing, and exotic aroma was created by the ancient Indian perfumers to capture the smell of the first monsoon rain on the soil."

It really does smell like rain on earth. I must add that there is an oily base in it, I mean, it smells of oils, pure oils. It is the sandalwood, however it is different from the other sandalwood oil that I have. It is more oily than creamy (I hope this makes sense). Also, there is a slightly sharp top note that is a perfect contrast to the earthy smell that comes in the middle and end. I couldn't identify exactly what this top note is, but I would guess a sharp herb.

This perfume is truly beautiful, audacious in its simplicity and faithfulness to nature. It has moderate sillage but good longevity. It is an elegant and discreet perfume, quite masculine in my opinion. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 3rd October 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Default Re: Perfumes of The East IV: Mitti Attar

Interesting.... would love to get my hands on some of this.

Thanks for the review LV

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Tigerflag.com and White Lotus Aromatics both have an excellent Mitti Attar here in the States.
    Tigerflag uses a very nice Indian Sandalwood and I think that makes the difference.
    True Mysore Sandalwood bases are going away if not gone already and that makes a big difference.

I second the Tigerflag. I own some and it truly is wonderful.

Mitti Attar is very unique. I think every fragrance lover should at least try it.
    Last edited by ajmc; 3rd October 2008 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks, Guys. I just wanted to add that it smells like dark wet cool earth, not dry or hot earth.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    True Mysore Sandalwood bases are going away if not gone already and that makes a big difference.
    You are quite right, unfortunately.

Hell, I live in India and procuring the real deal is difficult for me too.

Very nice review, LV, as always.
    Yep, you have painted an accurate depiction of what Mitti smells like. For me though, its pretty sweet in its variations. It is certainly elegant and masculine. This is another typical 'mosque'/temple fragrance.
    Whereas Terre DH is quite in-your nose and sort of metallic (it has a warm feeling to it), Mitti is sweeter and more earthy (cooler).

@Javagreen : Actually - you can get some if its a reliable source. It all boils down to the relationship between the dealers/suppliers.
    Since the govt of Karnataka started giving the sandalwood jobs (cutting etc) to private contractors, prices increased astronomically. Cutting down more than the demand led to a scarcity of the real thing. You CAN find sandalwood oil/wood, but its very likely its going to be less than 30 years old (making it mild, compared to old wood).
    One of my friends has a few sandalwood trinkets (wood carvings/figurines) at his place. They were handed down over a couple generations. The smell when you step in his room is incredible! Very mild sandalwood fragrance in the air, nothing strong, but you can feel its presence.

That means the trinkets have been continuously releasing sandalwood fragrance for more than two generations! It is amazing. If I go to India someday, I'll try to find a sandalwood trinket for me. Actually, I will probably visit New Delhi 3 years from now. One of my PhD mates is from India and she is going back to her country later this year. She invited me to go there. So, after I become a professor, my first vacation will be there.
    AK3D, is there a market for these sandalwood carvings? I mean, is it possible to buy one, in case you are willing to spend a lot of cash?
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 3rd October 2008 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    That means the trinkets have been continuously releasing sandalwood fragrance for more than two generations! It is amazing. If I go to India someday, I'll try to find a sandalwood trinket for me. Actually, I will probably visit New Delhi 3 years from now. One of my PhD mates is from India and she is going back to her country later this year. She invited me to go there. So, after I become a professor, my first vacation will be there.
    AK3D, is there a market for these sandalwood carvings? I mean, is it possible to buy one, in case you are willing to spend a lot of cash?
    The old ones are hardly available these days. There are 'fake' sandalwood trinkets available, in the sense that shady dealers will soak the wood in sandalwood oil for some time (days, months?) and then sell it off to unsuspecting buyers. Its a case of caveat emptor as always (buyer beware). There are trinkets made of real sandalwood too, but they would be pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D View Post
    Very nice review, LV, as always.
    Yep, you have painted an accurate depiction of what Mitti smells like. For me though, its pretty sweet in its variations. It is certainly elegant and masculine. This is another typical 'mosque'/temple fragrance.
    Whereas Terre DH is quite in-your nose and sort of metallic (it has a warm feeling to it), Mitti is sweeter and more earthy (cooler).

@Javagreen : Actually - you can get some if its a reliable source. It all boils down to the relationship between the dealers/suppliers.
    Since the govt of Karnataka started giving the sandalwood jobs (cutting etc) to private contractors, prices increased astronomically. Cutting down more than the demand led to a scarcity of the real thing. You CAN find sandalwood oil/wood, but its very likely its going to be less than 30 years old (making it mild, compared to old wood).
    One of my friends has a few sandalwood trinkets (wood carvings/figurines) at his place. They were handed down over a couple generations. The smell when you step in his room is incredible! Very mild sandalwood fragrance in the air, nothing strong, but you can feel its presence.
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant when I said "difficult"

I used to have a good friend living in Mysore but he moved out of there a few years ago.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks, Guys. I just wanted to add that it smells like dark wet cool earth, not dry or hot earth.
    Lucius would you describe it as the 'smell of mud'?

A few fragrances smell just like mud: Black March by CB I Hate Perfume, Cumming by Alan Cumming and Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie. I find that particular accord very comforting and nostalgic.

But then again, some people perceive 'mud' and 'wet cool earth' as different smells...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th October 2008 at 03:09 PM.

Yes, I perceive Mud and "Dark wet cool earth" as different things. To me, the Mitti Attar smells like soil, dark wet soil. It is not mud. According to my olfactory memories from childhood, dark soil has a stronger, more organic smell than mud. Also, dark soil is more solid than mud.

I hope this makes sense to you folks. At least it makes sense to me!

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I perceive Mud and "Dark wet cool earth" as different things. To me, the Mitti Attar smells like soil, dark wet soil. It is not mud. According to my olfactory memories from childhood, dark soil has a stronger, more organic smell than mud. Also, dark soil is more solid than mud.

I hope this makes sense to you folks. At least it makes sense to me!

OK, I understand.

Then, forget about your Terre de Hermes reference. IMO TdH smells nothing like dark soil.

I'm going to order the Mitti very soon. Thanks for the review.

Continuing with my reviews of indian attars, here's a new one: my review of the Mitti attar. According to my Indian friend, this perfume is a staple of India. It smells of earth. I don't have Terre D'Hermes, so I can't make a comparison, but I'll do my best to describe it.

First, I will paste here a basic description that I found on the internet. It is very precise about how the perfume is made and smells:
    "....The fragrance of the earth, derived from distilling cakes of mud into sandalwood. This rich, earthy, soothing, and exotic aroma was created by the ancient Indian perfumers to capture the smell of the first monsoon rain on the soil."

It really does smell like rain on earth. I must add that there is an oily base in it, I mean, it smells of oils, pure oils. It is the sandalwood, however it is different from the other sandalwood oil that I have. It is more oily than creamy (I hope this makes sense). Also, there is a slightly sharp top note that is a perfect contrast to the earthy smell that comes in the middle and end. I couldn't identify exactly what this top note is, but I would guess a sharp herb.

This perfume is truly beautiful, audacious in its simplicity and faithfulness to nature. It has moderate sillage but good longevity. It is an elegant and discreet perfume, quite masculine in my opinion. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Lucius

I received a sample of the Mithi Attar from one my Indian supplier and I could feel only a medicinal smell, I guess they have send me a Mithi oil rather than a Mithi attar as I couldn't smell any Sandalwood in that oil. Anyways I have ordered other samples from them, hope they smell great.

Majmua 96 is a good mitti attar, its very reasonably priced too. I love traditional Indian attars, they are very floral animalic or very green/mossy.
    I also recommend Agar Hina (Oud, Henna,Vetiver and Indian Oakmoss)

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Majmua 96 is a good mitti attar, its very reasonably priced too. I love traditional Indian attars, they are very floral animalic or very green/mossy.
    I also recommend Agar Hina (Oud, Henna,Vetiver and Indian Oakmoss)

Hi
    Thanks for the info. So you mean to say that Majuama in a category of Mithi attar. I thought both are totally different. Mithi is from baked clay of Gangus and Majmua is a combination of five different attars with other Indian herbs and spices.

Where do you buy your attars from ? Can you recommend some places for purchase ? I know about White Lotus aromatics as well as Tiger flag.

Would appreciate if any Indian manufacturers as they have more variety than foreign sellers.

Thanks

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by rvinodh199 View Post
    I know about White Lotus aromatics as well as Tiger flag.

Would appreciate if any Indian manufacturers as they have more variety than foreign sellers.

Thanks
    Sadly, Tigerflag has closed down. Would be interested in more sources for great Attars here in the states as well

Native to India, Mitti attar is broadly knwon as the aroma of dry parched earth surface when it gets hit by the first rain of monsoon rains after long summer. In Europen and American Sub-continent, Mitti attar is generally known as fullerís earth fragrance or attar of eastern soil. The mystic and calming aroma of this attar is seductive enough to bring the feeling that refreshing scent of the wet earth. This attar helps to invoke regeneration of brain cells in the persons who encounter stress and anxiety more often.

Being a resident of countryside, I really miss its divine fragrance. For the ones who are a little nostalgic about their childhood and the smell of first rain, Mitti attar would become the best alternative to them. Even for those who are seeking for an effectual natural relief for mental complexities or tensed mood, go for Mitti Attar. I have used it a lots of time. It is regarded as the best attar to calm down the tensed state of mind. It is indeed the best attar to spread the calming fragrance throughout the room during meditation or religious ceremonies.

P.S: For those who were seeking for Indian Mitti Attar, here is something I got for you guys.
    http://www.allinexporters.com/mitti-...ked-earth.html