Code of Conduct

Default To those with 500+ reviews...

How do you manage to sample so many fragrances (SirSlarty, I'm looking at you...)?

I've been into the cologne world for a couple of years, and I've proudly managed from the free samples at Nordstrom, the occasional mini purchase, and the vials I've managed to track down to sample about a 100 or so fragrances.

And so I'm absolutely bewildered by those of you who are able to review hundreds of fragrances.

So my question is, how do you do it? Do you work in a store? Do you simply spend a small fortune on bottles of every fragrance known to man? Are there brick-and-mortar stores that I am unaware of (I live in the pacific northwest, and fragrance stores are not exactly common out here)? Is there a secret society of fragrance lovers that trade samples?

There are so many fragrances that I would like to smell, if only once, and so I'm curious to learn your secrets.

Any responses would be appreciated.

-Scotch77

Blog Entries

Default Re: To those with 500+ reviews...

In answer to your question....

(e) All of the above.

Trust me, guy - you stick with the program for a year, and you'll have samples out the wazoo. Between what you order, what they throw in for free, what you pick up, and what friends and other BNers will start giving you, you'll have so many samples, you literally won't know what to do with them.

And it's a good thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotch77 View Post

So my question is, how do you do it? Do you work in a store? Do you simply spend a small fortune on bottles of every fragrance known to man? Are there brick-and-mortar stores that I am unaware of (I live in the pacific northwest, and fragrance stores are not exactly common out here)? Is there a secret society of fragrance lovers that trade samples?

There are so many fragrances that I would like to smell, if only once, and so I'm curious to learn your secrets.

Any responses would be appreciated.

-Scotch77
    Sounds like you know all the "secrets" haha. It is starting to rain and pour samples for me and um... I kinda got them through BN sales (little gifts), spent a minimal fortune ordering them through Luckyscent, recieved a few directly from niche houses after I freakin' hounded them (with offers to pay at times....) and finally am getting a godsend of samples from someone who's just got too much and wants to get rid of scents lolz. Sometimes it's a matter of persistance, other times it's a matter of connections.

What I'd like to know is how someone could have time/patience/confidence to review so many... as a n00b it takes me days to a whole week before I feel confident enough to put my experience of the perfume to words.
    Last edited by masuerte; 4th October 2008 at 05:08 AM.
    Immediate Wishlist: CDG Palisander/Avignon

There's a huge swapping community on MakeupAlley ... maybe 95% female, but we do tend to have guy's fragrances mixed in with all the rest.
    Ormonde Jayne Woman, Etat Libre d'Orange Encens et Bubblegum

I'm not anywhere near 500 reviews, though I am amazed at what I've done. Sometimes I go through a week of a new scent a day, other times I fall back on old favorites. It is easy to get samples of the newly-released scents, the outlets usually have those. The standards and the niche scents are more difficult. Luckyscent and Les Senteurs do a good job of supplying carded samples or little decants for a modest handling fee.
    Cheers, this is a great hobby... more than a hobby really, part of a way of life.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

*deep breath*

Decants, trades/swaps, cheap blind buys, free samples from niche houses by talking to them, free samples from departments stores by asking for them, purchase samples from online vendors, sample offerings from places like Beauty Habit, LuckyScent, and Aedes, minis from various places, smelling them at a store, smelling them at a friend's house, free sample offers from people who PM me, smelling those strips you get in magazines, finding free samples at drug stores, finding samples at flea markets, pretty much anything and everywhere I'm always looking.

*chokes*

Haven't got nearly 500 reviews, but I want to add one more angle: being old(er) and having had many, many years of fragrance sniffing, wearing and obsession.

You say that you've been properly into this for 2 years and have managed to sniff/sample 100 fragrances, just think what happens when you've been into it for, say 10-20 years, then multiply by 50 per year. Suddenly having a THOUSAND reviews doesn't seem so strange...