Code of Conduct

Default Etro Messe de Minuit Or Avignon Incense?

Hey gang, I have samples of both and am having a tough time choosing between the two. Unfortunately my wife hates both, so she's no help LOL. The MdM is quite a lot cheaper but that's not the motivating factor for me...any advice on either would be much appreciated.

Steve

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Etro Messe de Minuit Or Avignon Incense?

I posted this exact same question in a thread I posted here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198841

No perfume can match Avignon, in case you want the smell of a catholic church. But beware, it is very difficult to wear it. It is eccentric stuff.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 4th October 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Hi Mike, sounds like you got the Avignon Incense. I've had samples of each and finally decided to revisit them; took a shower, dabbed on some MdM and though; I like this. Asked my wife, she said "Blah!" LOL.

I can't justify getting both, but if they are going to discontinue the avignon, maybe I'll get that. The MdM did seem like a much better deal. I'll have to check around online for the best deal as nobody around me sells it. I may pick it up here: http://www.tobi.com/product/7889-com...n-incense-home

Oh well, thanks again for the response, I should probably just delete this thread.

Steve

P.S. I just realized that I'm listening to Morrissey as I respond to a post about Avignon Incense LOL.
    Last edited by desmoface; 4th October 2008 at 12:13 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    I can't justify getting both, but if they are going to discontinue the avignon, maybe I'll get that.
    It seems that the Avignon discontinuation rumors were not true. It's totally available.

Get the one that you like the best. If you like both, get both.

Blog Entries

Both are great. But I'd go with the Etro as Avignon is done better by Olivier Durbano (Black Tourmaline).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Sur la Plage

I personally would go with Avignon.

It is available on the Barneys website for $62. But you could also call one of the stores and order directly. The Las Vegas store is very friendly and are very good about including a lot of samples with your order - and then periodically sending you more samples.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

black tourmaline is not a better version of avignon! if anything it's a bad ripoff of le labo patchouli! interesting to hear about barneys. the perfume house in portland is also a place to buy it for $62 and no sales tax but they don't do follow up samples!

if it means anything, desmo, Steven M is said to wear Avignon. (I suspect this discussion is now closed!)
    Last edited by perfumeboss; 4th October 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Avignon. No question, if you're choosing between these two. Durbano's Black T. is really interesting, but it's in a different realm than the two you're deciding between. If you want Catholic church, you want Avignon. If you want other kinds of incense or smoke, that opens up all kinds of other possibilities too numerous to name.

Another vote for Avignon. Also, I don't find Black Tourmaline similar to Avignon, they're quite different IMO.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I absolutely love Avignon, but I love MdM even more.

I think Avignon is a more straight-forward rendition of Mass, while the MdM has a hint of orange pomander in its heart that is thrilling as it unfolds.

Smelled side-by-side, the CdG also has a slight chemical blast which I never noticed until I compared it directly to the Etro, which is more natural smelling. They have equal longevity.

I also think they are different enough to merit having both in your collection, so for your first buy get the one that's hardest to source, then purchase the other later on.

The Black Tourmaline is much more smokey and would sit nicely with the others, as would Cdg's Jaisalmer, a fabulous spicy incense which I like as much as Avignon. Two other possibilities would be Un Parfum des Bois & Encens by the Different Company, which is gorgeously transparent but rich smelling, and Eau Lente by Diptyque, which is a huge but stunning incense. (CdG EdP would be a great alternative to Eau Lente...)

Once you've got that lot, then you can chase the "incense jones" like me - and a few others on this list!

(BTW Some time ago I asked this forum about incense scents. Have a look at that thread, as I came away with a list of over 30 that I hadn't tried. Been steadily chasing them all down ever since, and have discovered some real beauties - and surprises - along the way! )
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Although a choice of fragrance is very personal (also depends on how fragrance behaves on your skin).
    My personal preference is Avignon. I love it!!
    I also agree that it is not easy to wear and not for every occassion, but I enjoy it very much at bedtime.

I think it is a genuinely subjective choice as MdM smell musty and difficult to some while I for one find it to be a rather casual easy to wear incense. Avignon as others have said is quite unmitigated Catholic Mass and therefore not always an easy wear (Morrissey has a great sense of irony even regarding his perfume choices).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'd say listen to your wife. One smells like 7-UP/Sprite and the other like the inside of a really old couples home (after they died). Sorry, couldn't get into either.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 4th October 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I took a shower, shaved and put on some Avignon Incense. Very nice, but after about an hour, it's starting to disappear. The MdM does seem to have a bit more staying power as I could still smell a bit on my wrist this morning. I do like both.

Steve