Code of Conduct

Default I just did a blind buy of Guerlain Imperiale, did I make a mistake?

Hi everyone,
    I just did a blind buy of Guerlain Imperiale. What do you guys think? Was this a good buy? I like clean smelling fragrances, and the notes of this fragrance made it seem like it is pretty clean smelling. Is this fragrance like Creed Royal Water where it has a clean, citrus, lemon, woodsy, an almost herbal smell? Can it even be compared to Royal Water? What am I in for? All help welcome.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
    Last edited by Maz24; 4th October 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Default Re: I just did a blind buy of Guerlain Imperiale, did I make a mistake?

Ever smell 4711? This is what 4711 would smell like if it contained really high grade materials. It is in other words a classic Eau de Cologne with sharp citrus neroli lavender and a faint base of cedar and tonka. This was all the rage during the Enlightemnment and far into the 19th century (Imperial is from 1853). It's wonderful as a body splash especially in summer. Do not expect any longevity there's a reason Napoleon used twelve bottles a day (in case you're wondering: the "comma" on my notebook keyboard is broken).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sur la Plage

I doubt you would dislike the fragrance. It is a very nice, classic, clean EDC with all of the characteristics I think you are looking for. As the_good_life pointed out though, don't expect a lot of hours of longevity from it without reapplying.

Good luck!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't think you can go wrong with this one. its a classic eau de colonge and very well made. Royal Water has peppermint in it and that takes it in a completely different direction. I do find imperiale to be a clean scent although to me its drier (maybe due to the woods) than royal water.

If by any chance it doesn't agree with you i'm pretty sure you will have no trouble selling it on here.

please post back once you have a chance to wear it and let us know how you it worked for you.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Ever smell 4711? This is what 4711 would smell like if it contained really high grade materials. It is in other words a classic Eau de Cologne with sharp citrus neroli lavender and a faint base of cedar and tonka. This was all the rage during the Enlightemnment and far into the 19th century (Imperial is from 1853). It's wonderful as a body splash especially in summer. Do not expect any longevity there's a reason Napoleon used twelve bottles a day.
    Totally agree. A good scent, perhaps best approached with very low (or no) expectations, about longevity.

You won't regret it at all as long as you expectations are in line with what you are buying. You need to know the idiom. It is not a modern EDT fragrance blended with longevity in mind.

It is certainly up there with the very best classic EDCs being made. It is made of fantastic ingredients with a lemon and limeflower top, wonderful neroli and lavender and a faint drydown which persists for ages. The hit and body of the scent are made of very volatile oils and so leave early with great diffusion leaving just a ghost of themselves in the base.

If I expect very low sillage after the initial wonderful rush and apply very heavilly (which is normal for an EDC) I find that I can get some reasonable longevity out of it, but its purpose is really a short blast of beauty.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    a clean, citrus, lemon, woodsy, an almost herbal smell
    I think this describes the Imperiale quite nicely. I love it, and I think that if you're looking for anything clean, light and fresh you can't possibly be disappointed. I hope you bought a big bottle though, because as other have mentioned, the longevity is terrible - you'll need to drench yourself in it (something like 8 sprays I'd say).

I love it, too. I love eaux de cologne, and Imperiale is one of the best I have ever encountered. I think that there is maybe more of a lime note than in the "original" concept of an eau de cologne?

Smells exactly like Roger & Gallet's Jean-Marie Farina/Extra Vieille. If you have it already, no need for Imperiale.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976