Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Saturday 4th of October 2008

Well. If I had Ambre Sultan, I'd wear that for S&S Saturday, but I have myself to blame for getting side-tracked when I went out to buy it this summer (that was my Harrods trip where I ended up sampling a zillion scents and buying two, neither of which was AS - it was too hot and I was seduced by fresh, green and gingery scents).

So I'm in Byzance by Rochas again. It's a little scary how much I suddenly crave this scent (see yesterday's SotD), so I'm just going to go with it and wear it again.

Have a happy Saturday, everyone!

Default Re: SotD Saturday 4th of October 2008

SnS day.
    I'm at the hospital, this w/e-
    But Geisha Noire it is....

I feel 'annointed' in this one; I love so many other ambers- Aki, AS, Voile D'Ambre, Ambra , Ambra Aurea, Fior D'Ambra, AR....

Have a great day !

Sur la Plage

Yves Saint-Laurent Opium pour Homme - For Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday - Amber

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

How did that happen? Completely missed the S'n'S announcement. As it is, no amber for me: I'm going on a little trip to sample some choice fragrances. Biehl's Parfumkunstwerke, to be precise.
    I'm suffering from instant class anxiousness, since the shop is located in a very high class district - SA's there can be snooty. We'll hope for the best, though. I'll report back!

L'Occitane Ambre.

Good luck Veuve Amiot!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Basenotes Plus

Veuve Amiot, just relax and have fun sampling. And don't waste another thought on any potentially snooty SAs. Just dispatch any snoots with a dismissive wave and a stink eye Enjoy yourself!

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux, for SnS Day.

Have a lovely Saturday, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello everybody FINALLY I have a weekend off. So far haven't done much.Will probably make some waffles later.For S'n'S I'm in Madame X from Ava Luxe.

No amber for me today...sorry...I'm participating in a 'fitness challenge' for charity, and I really want to wear Kai! Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Scent sister with tdem1961 in MPG Ambre Precieux today. Going to work, will report later.

Opium pour Homme

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I am starting with Aqaba Spring, but i predict the afternoon will find me in something by l"artisan. Yay samples!

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    How did that happen? Completely missed the S'n'S announcement. As it is, no amber for me: I'm going on a little trip to sample some choice fragrances. Biehl's Parfumkunstwerke, to be precise.
    I'm suffering from instant class anxiousness, since the shop is located in a very high class district - SA's there can be snooty. We'll hope for the best, though. I'll report back!
    Chant d'Aromes today, from a small decant, it's beautiful.

veuve amiot, I am sympathetic, as I am trying to talk myself into going to the Bergdorf Goodman's Guerlain boutique in nyc. This is so easy for me to get to, but I am more of a downtown girl
    ahhh... but all those Guerlain's, waiting to be sampled...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Accidentally find myself now in Love's True Bluish Light from the bottle leaking on me. Perfect for this rainy night though!

M. Micallef Gaiac

For Amber SnS I started the day in Profumum

Fiore d'Ambra

Then, at midday, I was tempted by a sample of Montale Black Aoud, which I am also wearing. Black Aoud is growing on me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Well. If I had Ambre Sultan, I'd wear that for S&S Saturday..
    Well, I volunteer to be your SnS proxy, and am wearing Ambre Sultan on one wrist, a little incongrously in my Per Una pyjamas, it must be said. At 1.30pm, shame on me!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Villoresi DILMUN
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Missed SnS too...I'm wearing Oscar de la Renta Oscar Fresh Vanilla today, I can see this getting lots of skin time with our Summer not too far away !

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Well, I volunteer to be your SnS proxy, and am wearing Ambre Sultan on one wrist, a little incongrously in my Per Una pyjamas, it must be said. At 1.30pm, shame on me!
    Gheheheh, ok, thanks (I always get a giggle out of Per Una - I do have some of their clothes too, by the way - "peruna" means "potato" in Finnish). Also: nothing wrong with pyjamas at lunchtime (why does that sound like the battle cry of some obscure group: "It'll be pyjamas at lunchtime!"). It is a Saturday after all. Enjoy it while you can!

I've decided that actually, I am kind of participating in S&S Saturday, given that Byzance becomes so ambery on me so quickly (the big soap mercifully passes in minutes and somehow I skip the part where this is supposed to chiefly be a floral oriental; just goes woody, vanillic, soft, musky with a hint of a floral idea in the somewhere).

V.v. envious of your lovely Ambre Sultan though. And I doubt I'll even manage to buy it next; I've got my eye on Datura Noir.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 4th October 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Nukapai: Many thanks for the pajama explanation. That's so cute!!

And you ladies intimidated by snotty SA's....remember - YOU pay THEIR salary (or not) and most of the poor creatures share digs with three or four other upwardly mobile "high class" wannabes. There may be the exception like Chaya, who purveys frags out of love (among other things) and you have read how she treats perfumistas like us...but she is one in a billion.)

As reported on the SnS: My bug being still in residence (and many thanks for all your kind emanations!) I was a bit concerned I might not be able to fully appreciate the divine

I get all kinds Cossack-y vibes from this (apologies to any Russian friends with bad memories)

The pervasiveness of Saddle leather, steaming samovars, in the officers' quarters- shots of vodka amid swirling ciggie smoke.... and gleaming amber under all....OH BOY!! So what if it's going to 85 F....I'm ready!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Creed Ambre Canelle as SotD in concert with the Sniff'NSpeak suggestion.

Also sending telepathic commands for Taolady's resident bug to BACK OFF!

And wow..a James Dean look and look-a-like!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Last edited by kbe; 4th October 2008 at 01:56 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

ooooh! I forgot all aout my decant of Geisha Noir when I was trying to choose an Amber frag today ( thanks Chaya!) I absolutely love this stuff. It's official I will have to get a full size bottle.

No amber for me today. I am wearing Neil Morris Prowl and Romeo Gigli Sud Est (thank you so much, noirwest!). I am really pungent today!!!!! And I love it!

Prowl: floral musk

Sud Est: aromatic jasmine
    Last edited by Aiona; 4th October 2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: mini-info

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (first time from a sample - thanks Ron199)

Il Profumo's Ambre d'Or for SnS today
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Gaultier²: amber, musk, vanilla.

Feel better soon, dear Tao.
    Last edited by tang; 4th October 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Spritzed my new bottle of Ambre Sultan for S'n'S. The opening is a bit medicinal, but definately worth waiting for the drydown. Last more than 10 hours on my skin, which normally doesn't hold anything for more than 3-4 hours.

Thanks to the ever-lovely Tao, I am also in Ambre Russe. And it's as good as she says! Plus, perfect for a crisp autumnal day that finds me sporting corduroy and flannel (almost as good as pyjamas).
    Interestingly, after a fleeting whiff of saddle leather today the tobacco leapt forward, but now it has mellowed into a beautiful dry but rich amber tobacco. May I suggest that on a gentlemen this would be downright ravishable? (Fougere Bengal is dynamite too.)

And here's a question: why do we seem to like tobacco in fragrances so much now? Do you think it's because it's more of a rarity since smoking bans came in? One to ponder.
    Hope you're all having a lovely day. Be well, Tommi Tao.
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Youth Dew Amber Nude

Taolady I hope you can chase those bugs away, soon.

Tough choices for me today as I love my amber.
    for me though it is a recent acquisition that comes to mind when I think amber and thats:

Montale Blue Amber

I'll speak more about this in the SnS thread.

Have a great Saturday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

bleu autumn haze

I'm in very good company this morning with Taolady and Wordbird ... I'm also wearing Ambre Russe.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Tabu

Five O'Clock au Gingembre

Have a great weekend!

Romance Silver by RL
    Gary

Basenotes Plus

Kingsbury Fragrances, Classic Amber II
    Amber & jasmine .....wonderful!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Anné Pliska again today.

Well, my right wrist joined SMM today in Montale BLUE AMBER. Gracing my left wrist is Sonoma Scent Studio AMBRE NOIR.

The back of my right hand is enhanced by Hermessence AMBRE NARGUILE, and the left hand sports Jo Malone DARK AMBER & GINGER LILY.

Glad it's a cool day here, as this is a little overwhelming. VM I Hate Civet, how do you do this, day in and day out? And frequently with more than four?!

I will post comments on the Sniff 'n' Speak thread. Wishing all a lovely weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    Anné Pliska again today.
    I keep wanting to sample that one. Is it one of your HG scents? Fighting off a cold today so not feeling very scentish.

after reading this thread, my goal is to get back into my pajamas and sample some of my amber samples, I have a Montale Blue Amber somewhere ...

right now I have Montale Patchouli leaves on one hand and Caron's Alpona on the other, just a drop of each.
    yum
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

For Sniff''n'Speak Amber Saturday - on one wrist, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, on the other, Tom Ford Amber Absolute.

Thanks for the support, ladies! As it turns out, the SA's weren't snooty at all. Before you think that must be a good thing: they were highly unprofessional. After waiting /forever/ to be allowed by one of them in the inner sanctuary of the perfume cabinet, and then asking not once, but /twice/ for attention, I left in a huff. Seriously, I'm not waiting around for you all day. They didn't have the mb03 anyway, which was the one I most looked forward to.
    So I crossed the street, entered a perfume store, and left with generous samples of Armani Bois d'Encens, Serge Lutens Arabie and Ambre Sultan, L'Heure Bleue and Attrape Coeur. So I join the S'n'S after all: Ambre Sultan has grown on me a lot. It used to be overpowering and sweet to me, now I detect a delectable bitter edge to it. I could grow to love it, yet.

Black Sun/Salvador Dali
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Amber newbie, but doing the SnS today.

Started off in Violet Amber, a perfume oil from Whole Foods (nothing special).
    Moved on to Sarah Jessica Parker's Covet, quite nice.
    Now wearing Calvin Klein's Obsession for women, and loving it.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I got my new samples from TPC just now. I am testing PDN Le Temps D'Une Fete on my left wrist, and MDCI Enlevement au Serail on my right wrist. I am also, because I have no common sense, testing MDCI Promesse de L'aube on the top of my right hand. So far, the scent from PDN is making me swoon, while the MDCI scents, though lovely, are not having the same effect on me.

Germs, germs, go away! Feel better soon, Taolady.

Scent twins with LiB, at least on one wrist: Fiore d'Ambra. On the other, my Auric Blends Amber. Will report in later on the SnS thread after these develop.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I finally remembered to to a Sniff 'n' Speak - I'm in the Gap's White Amber, one of my favourite bargain scents. Amber + incense + a whisper of vanilla.

Ambre de Cabochard for today and White Amber tonight Thanks to kaye dawn for reminding me about it

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Well, my right wrist joined SMM today in Montale BLUE AMBER. Gracing my left wrist is Sonoma Scent Studio AMBRE NOIR.

The back of my right hand is enhanced by Hermessence AMBRE NARGUILE, and the left hand sports Jo Malone DARK AMBER & GINGER LILY.

Glad it's a cool day here, as this is a little overwhelming. VM I Hate Civet, how do you do this, day in and day out? And frequently with more than four?!
    I am proud of you Haunani for working "the system", indeed I noted quite a few members doing multiple amber tests today and was very pleased to see it. Since donning Ambre Sultan this lunchtime, I got dressed, raided my drawer AND popped into Boots, so a number of non-amber scents have jumped aboard:

DSQUARED she WOOD (new fave - how EL Sensuous was meant to smell! Like a muted whispery version of Narciso Rodriguez for Her with a hint of lemon. Like MaxMara with less sugar cane and more whispery woods. My new daytime squeeze!)
    MaxMara EDP (much nicer than I remember)
    Hilary Duff with Love (better than your run of the mill celeb scent - like a poor man's Dolce Vita with an unexpected woody drydown)
    Prada by Prada (not liking the weird top note, reminiscent of that evil cumin-heliotrope accord in Lalique Le Parfum)
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Today I am testing new ambers. I wear the standby's so often (Amber Russe, Ambre Precieux), I thought I would take this opportunity to give full wearings to some of the samples I haven't given much time yet.

Left arm: Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    Notes: benzoin, labdanum, musk, vanilla, caramel, honey, sugared tonka bean, grilled sesame seeds, cinnamon, rum, coumarine and white orchids (from NowSmellThis)

Right arm: Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet (thanks to Pebbles!!!!)
    Notes: Tibetan amber, cardamon, Madagascar vanilla, ambergris, civet (from Ava Luxe web site)

Both started similarly--light spice, vanilla, a touch of leather and powder. The opening of each was really enjoyable, and different from most things out there. Unfortunately, neither stayed in this sweet spot.

As I have mentioned many times before, my skin dries scents out. Both of these are supposed to be very sweet, I am sure. Reviews of AN in the directory talk about its foody, sweet, sometimes cloying qualities. Well, on me, the sweet is gone, and all I have left now is tart, dry baby powder. The top notes were gone in a flash, and the middle was bypassed, going straight to the powder. This happened within 1 hour. I applied liberally since the Hermessences are known to have poor longevity, but it did not seem to matter. For most of the rest of the drydown, I have something that smells very similar to a baby's butt. I can see how this would work with the right skin chemistry--it reminds me of Bond Chinatown and Montale Sweet Oriental Dream. It may be worth looking into it if those other fragrances are appealing.

This is the first time I have tried the Ava Luxe, and I had no idea what to expect. I applied liberally with this one also, since it didn't seem very strong right out of the vial. The opening was beautiful, and I actually prefer it to the Hermes. It is a bit less "staunch" in its minimalism, and yet retains so much charm and perhaps some innocence (if a scent can have such a quality). AT has a bit of a modern leather note similar to the sharp leather found in Ambre Russe and some of the new Parfumerie General leather scents. That seems to be just the nudge needed in the top notes to give it a bit more balance than the Hermes. I sure wish this stage lasted longer, but given the affordable price of Ava Luxe frags, maybe needing to refresh a couple times a day is not all that bad. The dry down is very straightforward--mostly a simple vanilla skinscent. But I must say it is lovely, not pretentious, and not a caricature of vanilla (which is often the case with strong vanilla scents).

Neither of these really compare to my "go to" ambers for complexity or longevity. Of what I have tried in the Hermessence line, I must question the price, given the behavior of some of the compositions. I think it is normal to expect better performance out of a high end frag, and I just have not been getting it with Hermes. For the Ava Luxe, I am reminded of Comme des Garcons--very straightforward, affordable, modern, and most important--not FUSSY. This is a line I will enjoy exploring more!

Frédéric Malle Noir Epices

I'll wear something amber-ish later...

Blog Entries

veuve amiot-- I'm reminded of an episode of Absolutely Fabulous where Eddie says to a girl working in an art gallery, "You only work in a shop you know, you can drop the attitude."

Taolady-- I hope the Ambre Russe makes for a good bug spray!

I forgot about the SnS and am wearing my Black Cashmere yet again, but this time with a bit of Fracas behind the knees. I'm really liking how they work together.

I'll go thru my samples later and pick an amber for my SotE. It has just now occurred to me that I should make more of an effort to arrange my samples by perfume category, rather than house, or tried vs not tried, or any other method that has failed to keep me organized so far. Duh! (Hope it works!)
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Stardust for Men as SotE. Sun dried lime juice with a hint of salt.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Ambre Sultan

Got a sample of Kouros from KBE (kisskisskiss) and spritzed it on left wrist to underscore a general wash of the divine Voile d'Ambre. I've already rhapsodized about the veil - a warm and lady-like amber that's sweet but never cloying. The aggressive woodsy/spicy blast and hint of incense of K is a nice accent.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Polo Double Black
    Gary

This morning was Ambre Narguile for SnS.

I switched into Joy EDT for the rest of the day, to add to the myriad of calculations for SMM!

After reading some recent posts, I discover that many others also test more than a few scents at a time. I thought I was all alone on this count -- I feel much better knowing I am not.

I've been testing all day. On my left wrist I started out with Molecule 1 and then added some Antimatiere to it a little later. On my right wrist have Armani Prive Ambre Soie. I added a little DSH Peru Balsam to it. The right wrist is winning by a nose.

AnnayakeMiyako

Tonight I am testing another new amber, Montale Patchouli Leaves.

Notes: patchouli, oak, vanilla, amber, white musk, cystus ladaniferus (from luckyscent)

On first application (from a dabber), the scent is strong, sharp and rooty--the typical "head shop" patcouli. Within a few minutes, the sharpness fades, and the sweet vanilla and amber peeks out a bit. This scent is developing very quickly, and is taking on a foody and slightly metallic quality. There must be some spices in this frag, even though they are not listed. However, I have never smelled oak as a note, but I can see the resemblance of this strange foody, chewy metallic scent to the smell of oak when it is being milled in the woodshop. Needless to say, the quick development means the "head shop" quality becomes much more subdued, and the woodyness of the oak (and probably the labdanum) blend with the patchouli to balance it. I smell what seems to be that sharp leather note from Ambre Russe and Bois 1920 Real Patchouli (and several Parfumery Generale scents), too, although it is not listed.

The development seems to have slowed a bit after the first few minutes, and PL is settling into what I hope will be an earthy patchouli amber--sweet, sour, bitter, woody and resinous. I am worried about the longevity given how quickly it has changed, but that remains to be determined in a longer wearing.