Code of Conduct

Default Your (very) first fragrances

I'm curious about your first experiences with fragrances. So please name your first ones.

1. The first one you ever tried / wore (probably something form your dad, older brother, grandfather, or maybe mom (why not?))?

2. The first one you got as a gift?

2. The first one you bought?

These are mine very firsts:

1. Dad's Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz and grandad's 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by Muelhens. Not really sure which one I've tried first, but I liked both of them.

2. Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Got it from my sister. It was nice, but a bit too sweet. Girls liked it a lot.

3. Photo by Lagerfeld. Someone gave me after shave as a gift. It was so nice that I had to buy a perfume, too.
    Last edited by adrianis; 4th October 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Default Re: Your (very) first fragrances

1. Grandma's "Uralt Lavendel" (translates as "really old lavender" ) by Lohse. It's still around at drugstores. I was intoxicated by that lavender smell. I occasionaly sniffed Dad's Old Spice too.

2. never did get a fragrance gift

3. Azzaro pour homme. Pretty good choice for an 18-yr. old though it was a total mismatch in retrospect. I did better with my next one Jil Sander Man Pure (the one from 1981).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

1. First tried my stepfather's Tsar (Van Cleef & Arpels)

2. First received as a gift, a bottle of YSL Kouros from my mother for my high school ball.

3. Bought Paloma Picasso Minotaure with my very first paycheck!

Old Spice - which I somehow snagged from my Dad
    Aqua Velva (Ice Blue aftershave - and it smelled better in the good ol' days according to Luca Turin!)
    Jade East (which I loved the the first time I smelled it on someone else but was uncomfortable with on myself - would love to have that vintage bottle back though!
    Canoe - wouldn't mind having that old bottle back as well!
    Last edited by Delmar; 4th October 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: grammatical improvement :)

1 & 2) Penhaligon's Eau de Verveine
    3) Guerlain Vetiver

The first one I tried was English Lavender by Atkinson's. It belonged to my grandmother.

The first one I got as a gift was Polo Green.

The first one I bought was Azzaro.

AromiErotici

Of course like others, I tried my father's Old Spice, Mennen,Aqua Velva, English Leather, Jade East and my favorites as a kid; Brut and Hai Karate. Thought they were great....and the memories of them are ( just not the wearing of them)

My first purchases were Aqua de Selva and Pino Sylvestre. I had a thing for being blasted by pine.

The very first fragrance I recall is Youth Dew that my grandmother wore , but the first I tried was probably Chanel Pour Monsieur , which my father always wore .

My first purchase was Dior Farenheit the day it came out

The first one I think I wore was Dana's Canoe, which was a gift from my mother. I don't think I tried anything of anyone's until I was given this one, and it might count as my first gift too.

Other gifts that came at about the same time were Halston Z-14 and Halston 1-12, but I'm certain they came after Canoe. They also came from my mother. My grandfather gave me some Signoricci about this time too.

I think Aramis must have been the first scent I purchased for myself. Could have been Lagerfeld Classic too, Polo, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage, Grey Flannel, or Habit Rouge. I got all of those about the same summer and fall but can't remember which came first.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

1. First scent I tried was my uncle’s Pino Silvestre. I remember I sprayed it too much. I was enjoying, but the people around me and the flies were not.
    2. 15 years ago, I was in love with a gipsy girl and she was in love with Drakkar Noir, so she gave me a 50 ml bottle for my birthday.
    3. My first buy was Eternity. A teenage boy usually thinks that a popular thing is, a priori, a good thing.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Blog Entries

1. First fragrance: Dior Eau Sauvage. My dad had a miniature of it and I wore it on special occasions.

2. First fragrance gift: Armani Code, which at the time was called Black Code. My fiancee got it for me at our first Christmas.

3. First fragrance purchase: Serge Lutens Gris Clair. I only became seriously interested in fragrances after discovering niches, and I mulled over a lot of samples before deciding I liked this one enough to shell out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    1. First scent I tried was my uncle’s Pino Silvestre. I remember I sprayed it too much. I was enjoying, but the people around me and the flies were not.
    2. 15 years ago, I was in love with a gipsy girl and she was in love with Drakkar Noir, so she gave me a 50 ml bottle for my birthday.
    3. My first buy was Eternity. A teenage boy usually thinks that a popular thing is, a priori, a good thing.
    Hehe my first buy was eternity too
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

My first one was something awful stuff called "Blue Stratos" . I think the first i bought for my own money was Antaeus. I`we got god taste even back then!

I don't remember what the first one I tried was.

The first I bought for myself was Claiborne Curve when I was 15 after smelling it in a magazine ad foldout that had a convertible driving through windy roads on it. *hides under table*

I believe the first I got as a gift was Drakkar Noir and original Polo Green from an ex-step dad because he didn't use them anymore... that would have been when I was about 13-14.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 4th October 2008 at 07:28 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I recall my dad's Dunhill after shave and col. (1934, his yardley English lavander. My first purchases were things like Seaforth, Mennin, Lactopine, moving to Brut, Eau Sauvage, back to Dunhill 1934.

the first one i tried on like 4 years ago was my dads bottle of drakkar noir. my first gift was for christmas 05 and that was ck one and my first buy was a few months later when i bought joop homme of a friend.

First Gift (Also first worn): Polo Sport I believe was my first, followed by Curve.

First Bought: L'eau D'issey pH Intense

My dad used to wear "Agua Brava", my mother "Opium" but only in special occasions.

My first bottle was "Farhenheit": it was THE scent went it come out, and now, each time I smell this weird smell (pop-art violet) I'm seventeen again...

My first scent received as a gift was "Héritage": she loved the smell more than me, and each birthday a wrapped bottle was waiting for me.

First time olfatory memories related to fragrances are related to those used by male members of my family.

For generations they used Eau de Cologne Ambré sold by a local taylor of English origin established in Buenos Aires, James Smart.

It is still being sold: Grand Dady used it, Father still uses it, and I still enjoy it. Its longevity is extremely short, but they regard it as an advantage: traditionally local men disaproved of those wearing strong fragrances. BTW, I don't find any similarity between Smart's ambre and the ambré of many international brands. Since this EdC was designed in, what, the XIX century, maybe the recipe might be quite old fashioned. It does smell flowery... but not woody at all. Guess someone got the wrong version of ambré...

For everyday uses he wore Old Spice. Nowadays, he doesn't use it, but I do after post training showering.

When I turned 16 he gave me my first bottle of EdT, Signoricci 2. No wonder he bought it, that time Mother's favorite perfume was L'Air du Temps.

First one I bought? Monsieur de Givenchy in 1982. I regreted the difficulty in finding it: I kept an empty bottle for almost twenty years as a souvenir of times gone bye. Finally I could buy a new bottle in 2007. In a recent trip to Spain I found out that they relaunched it.

The first fragrance I tried was one of these: Old Spice, Brut, English Leather. I can't remember which came first.

The first fragrance I received as a gift was Polo (green).

The first fragrance I bought was Grey Flannel.

Blog Entries

1st one i tried: English Leather (my father's)
    1st one i recieved as a gift: Lagerfeld (original)
    1st one i bought myself: Aramis or DKNY for Men (can't remember which one)

Eternity Summer. Friend's first bottle. I tried it, couldn't smell it.

Haven't received a gift.

First cologne I bought was Hollister unisex cologne. Which I ended up despising and breaking the bottle I had of it in an attempt to get the top off. Now that thing is worth hundreds?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianis View Post
    I'm curious about your first experiences with fragrances. So please name your first ones.

1. The first one you ever tried / wore (probably something form your dad, older brother, grandfather, or maybe mom (why not?))?

These are mine very firsts:

1. Dad's Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz and grandad's 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by Muelhens. Not really sure which one I've tried first, but I liked both of them.

2. Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Got it from my sister. It was nice, but a bit too sweet. Girls liked it a lot.

3. Photo by Lagerfeld. Someone gave me after shave as a gift. It was so nice that I had to buy a perfume, too.
    First one tried - Hai Karate
    First One Received as a gift - Hai Karate
    First One Bought - Old Spice

First one I tried was Jovan Musk (ICK)
    First gift was Tommy Hilfiger
    First one I bought myself was Kenneth Cole Black (in middle school)

Paco Rabanne PH at age 12-13. My mom got it for me for Christmas. Good thread.

First one I ever bought: Eddie Bauer Adventurer.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 5th October 2008 at 04:59 AM.

First one I ever tried: Mom's Joy and Miss Dior (sniffed, not applied) and Dad's Kolnisch Juchten (stolen)

First one I got as a gift: Honestly I don't remember. I do remember that I have received perfume gifts; I guess the first one could have been back in the 80's when a friend sent me testers she lifted from her placeholder-after-graduation job at Robinsons in Santa Monica. She sent me Lagerfeld, which I disliked intensly. For the most part most of my friends don't buy me perfume thinking that if I like it I already have it.

First bought: Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge

Old Spice

Iron .. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120850.html ... Followed by a few dozen bottles of Preferred Stock

Hugo by Hugo Boss .. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120796.html
    Last edited by Mekanic; 5th October 2008 at 04:09 AM.

1. The first one you ever tried: A knock-off of ck One called Gender One, some Brut I found at a friend's house and my father's Old Spice

2. The first one you got as a gift? - Adidas Moves, Antonio Banderas Spirit

2. The first one you bought? - Acqua di Gio after I got bored with the gifted scents

Sur la Plage

Tried: Old Spice

Gift: Aramis

Bought: Polo (original)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

1. & 3. Tommy Hilfiger - Freedom
    2. Thierry Mugler - Cologne

Hai Karate
    Never received one as a gift
    Aspen (maybe).

First Scent: ARAMIS, B-Day gift from mom when I was 14
    Second Scent: CANOE, a gift from my first steady girlfriend
    Third Scent: YATAGAN, a gift from my second psycho girlfriend
    Fourth Scent: DUNHILL FOR MEN (1934), an engagement present from my first wife (nee Psycho Girlfriend)
    Fifth Scent: BOIS DU PORTUGAL, Bought myself at Saks when on a business trip on NYC.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

1. Dad's Old Spice
    2. Never gotten fragrance as a gift
    3. Paco Rabanne pour Homme

1. Baldessarini, from my dad.
    2. Haven't gotten a gift yet
    3. Baldessarini gift set!

1. British Sterling. Hated it.
    2. YSL PH
    3. Kouros

This doesn't directly answer your three questions, but the first I remember smelling were my father's English Leather Lime and my mother's Evening in Paris. The first I bought was Jovan Grass Oil. Another early purchase was Oleg Cassini. It's kind of sad that none of these are made anymore.

1. Michael Jordan Cologne - It came in a set that I gave my dad when I was in 4th grade. I am sure it did not smell great but the set looked cool and I was the biggest MJ fan at the time.

2. Nautica Classic - Wasn't terrible but I never was in love with the cologne. I believe I got it in 5th grade from my parents.

3. Woods by A&F - I always loved Woods and still have some left that I use every now and then for the nostalgia effect.
    Last edited by awahl63; 5th October 2008 at 09:25 PM.

1. First fragrance I smelled: I believe my mom gave me a sample of Malibu Musk, I would be shocked if anyone can remember that one.

2. First fragrance gift: My Grandma gave me bottles of Actif Blue and Brut as a gift.

3. First fragrance purchase: Boss Bottled , certainly foreshadowed a very unpleasant perfume chronology.

1. First men's fragrance I smelled: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

2. First I bought: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

3. First fragrance I received as a gift: Pierre Cardin

Fahrenheit

1. First tried: Elizabeth Arden Red Door (lotion) from mom

2. The first one you got as a gift? Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (Or, did I steal it from dad?)

3. The first one you bought? Two actually: CKOne & Beaches

1) The first fragrance I wore was either Old Spice or this thing from Avon in a bottle shaped like a cowboy boot that smelled awful.

2) The very first fragrance I owned was a gift to stop me from pilfering my Dad's Old Spice. I guess I must have been 9 or 10 at the time. Although I can't remember the name of it is was in a chintzy white plastic splash on bottle roughly shaped like a lighthouse, with a blue plastic lid and a blue and gold sticker that had an image of a lighthouse.

3) Jovan Musk for Men that I purchased as a gift set at the age of 13.
    Last edited by surreality; 6th October 2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

1. First fragrance: 4711 - splash - my mother used to add it in cold water for head wraps while I was ill as a kid

2. First fragrance gift: jovan musk and Dana Canoe - uncle gifted these to me in those teenage years

3. First fragrance purchase: Guerlain Vetiver - and life has never been the same ever since....

1- Varon Dandy. My grandfather cologne.
    2- Some Disney perfume my dad got me in Disneyland, 1975
    3- I was a bartender during freshman year in college, with the first 30 bucks I got myself Fahrenheit
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

1. My dad's colognes were Guerlain Imperiale and Fragonard Zizanie

2. Seeing I liked fragrances, my grandfather gave me a bottle of 4711

3. I first purchased Polo when the bottle my grandfather gave me broke.

Aspen by Coty, given to both my brother and me as christmas gifts. Neither of my parents were into fragrances very much. Old Spice for my dad, and random celebrity frags for my mom.

Incidentally, giving a middle schooler a splash bottle of cologne for their first fragrance perhaps isn't the greatest of ideas. I'm sure you can all imagine what happened

1. cant recall, must have been some kölnisch wasser i suppose
    2. a bottle of cool water
    3. im not sure but i think it was a bottle of some adidas stuff

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    this thing from Avon in a bottle shaped like a cowboy boot that smelled awful.
    I'm racking my brains trying to figure out this one. I remember seeing it. Must have been one of the Wild Country bottle variants.

EDIT: bingo!
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 6th October 2008 at 06:32 PM.

never did get into my dad or older brother's stuff (older brother had Polo.. I didn't like it)

no one has ever given me fragrance

Eternity was my first purchase. I have even re-bought it. While it was heavily overused for a while, it does deserve its place in the FiFi hall of fame.

First tried some aftershave that came in a squarish clear bottle with a woven grass around it...anyone know the name? It was dad's aftershave, I think it was a lime something or other...anyone know?

First gift was a little combo pack of Hermes Equipage my gramps gave me, he got it on a flight to somewhere in Europe. It had two little bottles-one EDC or EDT and one aftershave. I loved it.

First bottle I bought was Gray Flannel. Second was Fahrenheit
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

1st I tried: Obsession by CK. It was my Dad's

1st Gift: Obsession... So I would stop using my Dad's

1st I bought: D&G Light Blue (womans). I just liked the smell of it. 2nd was Shalimar followed by Grey Flannel, then by Fleur Du Male.

Ahhh...found it!

First tried: St. John's Lime Aftershave....
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

1st I tried: My dad got a bottle of California for Men as a gift & kept it @ his desk @ the church. I used to squirt some on a piece of paper & carry it around to sniff. Occasionally I'd sneak a spray to the back of my hand.

1st as a gift: Sweet Honesty by Avon

1st I bought: I want to say the first one I bought for myself was Tribe...& I think that was by Coty. Followed shortly by Lady Stetson, Vanilla Musk, & Ex'cla'ma'tion. Blech.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

My brother gave me a bottle of Grey Flannel when I was 15 or 16.
    A year or two later I bought Drakkar Noir since that was what the clerk at Dillard's recommended.

I didn't really care for either of them.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

1: British Sterling - My brother's
    2: Jovan Musk for Men
    3: I have no idea what the first frag I bought for myself was!

1. Am I wrong or I can deduce the age of participants in this threat from the answers given?
    2. Old Spice looks like an introductory brand, specially for those 40 yo +. Wonder P&G knows about this, they wouldn't mistreat their brand so much!