Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Green Irish Tweed and Aspen

With all the talk of how similar GIT and Cool Water are, I ordered a sample of GIT last week to try. I've been wearing it all day and I do see the similarity. However, just as I've posted before that I think CW and Aspen are similar, to me Aspen is even more similar to GIT. Maybe it's the lemon in the top note of both, which Cool Water doesn't have.

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed and Aspen

i used to love aspen when i was younger. I have not smelled it in a while, but i remember that it did smell really nice
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I just got my first sample of GIT in the mail today and its opening so far is exactly right with Aspen. Whats even funnier is the fact that I havent owned a bottle of this in a long time-10+yrs....And found a clearance xmas giftset with 2-1.7 Aspen sprays for 7.50 USD on clearance at Walgreens.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I smelled Aspen. It's similar to Cool Water (especially vintage Cool Water). It reminds me a little of GIT. But in the end Green Irish Tweed is miles better. I haven't tested Aspen's longevity, but if you like Cool Water, definitely try it.

Never liked Aspen. On the other hand, I love GIT. Personally don't find them similar at all.

I loved Aspen back in the day but haven't smelled it since the 90's, lol. Don't remember how it smells, lol. But I also like GIT, so plan on sniffing Aspen again, my guess is that I won't like it, lol.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

I have a bottle of Aspen aftershave from probably 10 years ago and it smells richer and smoother than my new bottle of Aspen. I'm sure it's changed over the years but it still smells great. It's a good substitute for GIT considering it's ridiculously low price. Very green and clean. Much closer to GIT than CW.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

See, another reason why I probably won't like today's Aspen...probably changed since the 90's. Why, why must there be reformulations?
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Don't remember how Aspen smelled. But if it smelled anything like GIT, I would have remembered....Smile

Aspen, as I recall it, is in the GIT vein. I really think it all depends on where you are in your life. If you're a 50 year-old man with money, obviously go for a 125 ml GIT. It'll last you for years (unless that's all you're wearing) and it's definitely the best in this genre, but if you're young and/or strapped for cash, Cool Water and Aspen are viable alternatives and, unless you're hanging out with purfumistas, the chances are they won't notice much of a difference.

Basenotes Junkie

Aspen doesn't smell expensive enough for my tastes. Even if it does smell exactly like GIT.

Can't tell difference maybe aspen more linear

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Aspen doesn't smell expensive enough for my tastes. Even if it does smell exactly like GIT.
    This is my favorite basenotes post of all time.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I worse aspen many years ago and if does have a similar vibe to G.I.T. A good substitute and value for the dollar.

- - - Updated - - -

I worse aspen many years ago and if does have a similar vibe to G.I.T. A good substitute and value for the dollar.

Dependent

Good point Timmy.

GIT does have that dirty linen note of old money that Aspen will never have.

That's beautiful

It's really about what you are willing to pay for and how much you are willing to pay. Frankly, the dollar store version of "Creed" may be the best scent of all time for a "going price" of $1 for 75 ml, if that is the kind of smell you seek. I can't imagine Aspen being worth $10 or so, relative to the dollar store version of GIT, but I'm on the fence now about whether I need my bottle of GIT, since I have Tahoe by Prince Matchabelli, which I might like even more (and is quite similar in that it has a strong violet leaf/lavender accord).

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    This is my favorite basenotes post of all time.

I bought 100ml (4oz) of Aspen for £2.99 recently and can see why people make the comparison to GIT and even CW, but to my nose GIT is far more refined and the quality of the ingredients is evident. GIT has a drier, more green accord in the top and heart notes and a fresher, less ambery dry down.

That said, Aspen is well deserving of a spot in any wardrobe. Especially at that price!

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

There's a gentle elegance with GIT that I don't smell in Aspen. Few fragrances have that sort of quality. Brooklyn by Bond does, though they smell vastly different... but they both have such an impressively gentle quality I admire.

Aspen doesn't have that at all (neither does Cool Water, for that matter)... but Aspen is great, especially given its price! I think I prefer it over Cool Water, but then again, I haven't smelled the two side by side, so I could be wrong about that.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    i used to love aspen when i was younger. I have not smelled it in a while, but i remember that it did smell really nice
    I wasn't impressed with GIT...Aspen smells better and it's dirt cheap. Win-win!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I wasn't impressed with GIT...Aspen smells better and it's dirt cheap. Win-win!
    And all wine tastes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    And all wine tastes the same.
    And only some people's opinions count?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    And only some people's opinions count?
    Depends on the opinion. Probably wasn't even worth responding to and it sure isn't debatable unless your drinking it instead of wearing it.
    Last edited by silentrich; 5th January 2013 at 01:14 AM.

After seeing CoachRob619's Youtube video of "World Cheapest Creed Collection" and comparing Aspen to GIT I decided to get a bottle of Aspen and see for myself.

Well today I put Aspen on my left arm and GIT right. On my skin I found GIT to be a little more earthy but all of the 10+ people I asked to smell both couldn't smell the difference. I found them really close even after 4 hours.

Aspen $18 vs GIT $250 for a 4oz bottle hard to justify the $230+ difference

What's the longevity/projection like for Aspen?

On me about 10 hours but GIT last that long on me too.
    After putting both on about a dozen times now, they are still pretty close and most people probably won't tell a difference.
    I do like GIT more and can tell the quality is there but Aspen is very close.

Indeed

Aspen is not as close as Cool Water to GIT imo.

Basenotes Junkie

Another option is the superb Raghba for Men by Lattafa Perfumes. Very, very similar to GIT.