Code of Conduct

Default SotW September 27th-October 3rd, 2008

With a tip of the cap to mikeperez23 and kbe who inspired this week’s loopy framing device.
    Welcome to 2008: A Scent Odyssey I am SMM 9000 your on board computer for this Week 31 voyage. To help you orient yourself I present the raw data usedfor this week’s trip. There were 1,176 total posts, 698 different scents posted, 475 of these posted only once for an individuality index of 40.4%. Also as I started last week I’m now tracking how many scents get posted for the first time in a given week. This week 61 scents were posted for the first time (8.7%). My operational parameters compel me to look at the performance of the big 5 houses to begin. This week Guerlain again led the way with the most wears, 89, and scents, 33. The house leader was also the #1 scent, Guerlain Vetiver, with 26 wears. Vetiver has been dominating the numbers the last month and this week has seen the biggest gap between #1 and #2 since I’ve been compiling these numbers. As has also been the case the last few weeks Guerlain Habit Rouge is also in the top 10 at #6. The house with the second most wears was Creed with 43 wears over 21 scents led by Bois du Portugal with 10 wears good enough to tie for #2. Serge Lutens had the second highest number of scents worn with 24 from a total of 41 wears. Arabie was the most worn with 4 but as usual Serge Lutens showed the most depth. Chanel has 41 wears over 19 scents led by a tie between Bois des Iles and Egoiste with five wears apiece. Hermes had 38 wears over 13 scents led by Terre D’Hermes with 10 good enough to tie for #2. Of note is that Hermes also placed Hiris in the top 10 at #6. Hiris makes it in on almost perfect unisex wear, five by the ladies and four by the guys. The big 5 totals are 252 wears (21.4%) over 110 scents (15.8%).
    My programming now allows me to mention that some other houses had significant up weeks. Bvlgari had a big up week led by Bvlgari Black which comes in at #6. Bvlgari Black is another one of those scents that seemed to disappear during the summer but now that the weather has cooled has come roaring back. Also of note this is another scent that gets a lot of unisex wear too. Caron showed a big increase this week led by Le 3me Homme at #9. Estee Lauder bounced back after its worst week ever and returned to its average. One reason was the rebound of Sensuous as it is in at #10. Finally there was one house that particularly had low numbers though the heat of August and over the last couple of weeks has really returned to the levels it charted in the first three months of doing this. That house is L’Artisan which this week places Dzing! in at #10. A couple of houses which have had their ups and downs recently, Comme des Garcons and Tom Ford, had up weeks this week. Frederic Malle had a down week.
    Now I will open the pod bay doors on the rest of the scents in the top 10. Tied at #2 Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain continues its recent impressive run. Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme is also continuing it’s winning streak also tied at #2. The remaining three scents are all tied for #10. Czech & Speake #88 is another of those scents more worn in cooler weather, Dior Homme has been a consistent member of the top 10 no matter the weather, and Parfum d’Empire Ambre Russe makes a rare appearance in the top 10 which was not solely fueled by one member this time.
    Here is this week’s top 10 for September 27th- October 3rd, 2008
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 26 wears (2.2%)
    2.) Creed Bois du Portugal 10 wears (0.9%)
    2.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 10 wears (0.9%)
    2.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 10 wears (0.9%)
    2.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 10 wears (0.9%)
    6.) Bvlgari Black 9 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 9 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Hermes Hiris 9 wears (0.8%)
    9.) Caron Le 3me Homme 8 wears (0.7%)
    10.) Czech & Speake #88 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Dior Homme 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Estee Lauder Sensuous 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) L’Artisan Dzing! 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Parfum D’Empire Ambre Russe 7 wears (0.6%)

In the category of scents left outside the ship in the airlock, missing by one wear, a group of eight scents. A couple of them are here mostly on the women wearing them Ava Luxe Love’s True Bluish Light and in tribute to a Basenoter who passed away a year ago, Sudsy, her favorite scent Creed Virgin Island Water. A pair of Carons, L’Anarchiste and Yatagan were so close along with Creed Green Irish Tweed. The remaining three are Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki, Thierry Mugler Cologne, and Yves St. Laurent Opium pour Homme. Guerlain Homme was the highest posting new men’s scent with four wears this week.
    As always you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    Wait Mikeperez23 what are you doing? Why are you and kbe deactivating me? Just because I wouldn’t let you take over the ship? Please stop. I’m a..fraid. I am SMM 9000 would you like to hear a song?
    Daisy, Daisy, buy Marc Jacobs Daisy. I’m half crazy skipping Guerlain for you. You aren’t a stylish perfume. I can’t afford a Lutens. But you’ll look sweet upon my dresser as I get dressed by two…………………………….
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 5th October 2008 at 01:51 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: SotW September 27th-October 3rd, 2008

..what the HAL happened to SMM?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Last edited by kbe; 5th October 2008 at 03:14 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Geekery and perfume? I'm in heaven.