Code of Conduct

Default So I got a chance to sample Creed

I stopped in Bergdorf Goodman on the way home Friday, and got a chance to actually smell what Creed is all about that everyone keeps talking about here at basenotes.

Out of all the ones I got to smell the one that stuck out the most that I was really impressed was Himalaya.

Green Irish Tweed was very nice, but smelled close to Cool water, and MI reminded me exactly like Unforgiveable which I just picked up. Drydowns I am guessing are different I did not spray them on my hand just smelled them off the card.

I liked Silver mountain Water, and Virgin Island but they just seemed to light, I did not like Santal or Vetiver, but Himalaya just really stood out to me, and I was this close to buying it.

the SA only had one sample he can give me BdP, so I am going to test that tomorrow, I wish he had Himalaya, I would like to test that more. So maybe I will be ordering some more samples online.

I did not realize how expensive Creed is $122 for 1 Ounce, I was like ouch...

Default Re: So I got a chance to sample Creed

scentiments.com usually has himalaya for much cheaper.

and if they do not have it try scentmonkey.com

both of these online stores are reputable.

supracuhz's signature says he has a Himalaya tester for sale.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    scentiments.com usually has himalaya for much cheaper.

and if they do not have it try scentmonkey.com

both of these online stores are reputable.

Thanks for the info I went to Creed website and they only had one site listed for an online source as an authorized site from what I was able to see and they were not much cheaper.

Sentiments is a lot cheaper

1. I had a similar experience last month when I spent two weeks in a hotel next to a Saks 5th Ave. Except for a few random tries, I'd never had the opportunity to meaningfully test a bunch of Creeds. The rep was great, and she both gave and made me about 20 samples during my stay.

2. My general feeling was that many Creeds were pretty good, but few of them good enough, or unique enough, to command such a high price. For example, Bois de Cedrat, Royal Scottish Lavender, Erolfa, and Chevrefuille were a few of the ones I really liked, but none were so unique as to command $170+. I did end up purchasing Royal English Leather because it was 'only' $140, because it was the most unique of the bunch, and because I wanted to thank the rep who was so nice by giving her a sale (which is pretty rare she told me, most people balk at the price).

3. There are tons of reputable online retailers, including perfumeemporium, beautyencounter, and fragrancenet that sell Creeds far below retail. The only drawback - and this is only from stories here - is that the bottles may be old stock and thus may not stay good as long.

4. We all know that eBay is a hornet's nest of Creed fakes, and I'm not going to try to sort through what may and not be fake (and I don't suggest anyone else try without knowing what they're doing). What I have found is that some eBay sellers sell lots of samples at reasonable cost. I liked Creed Vanisia, and I recently purchased a lot of 10 samples for $11+shipping. At 2ml/each this is 20ml, so for $16 I got 2/3 oz of a fragrance that goes for much more. And yes, it smells identical to the samples I got from the Creed rep.

When it comes to Creed I really like Erolfa and Himalaya the most, all others really did nothing for me. GIT was ok but I preferred Freshman from Truefitt & Hill more at 1/3rd the price. SMW really did nothing for me at all, Vetiver was too soapy, Santal was Joop extra strength, Neroli Sauvage had a great Houdini act with it's "poof" vanishing act in the blink of an eye, VIW was nice but did not beat a comparable Tommy Bahama fragrance at a fraction of the price, and most of the others were too unremarkable to even mention.

Creed is nice but for the price I prefer other brands.

Well I tried the sample of BdP today, and I did not like it all, in fact I would say as much I hated it...LOL

Himalaya is still my favorite so far of the ones I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    1. I had a similar experience last month when I spent two weeks in a hotel next to a Saks 5th Ave. Except for a few random tries, I'd never had the opportunity to meaningfully test a bunch of Creeds. The rep was great, and she both gave and made me about 20 samples during my stay.

So she can actaully make you samples? I did not know that? The rep at Bergdorf Goodman, had what was like a pre made one from Creed itself. Maybe I will stop at SAK today, I am working in the city this morning if they are open on Sundays. I would like to get samples and see how they are on my skin itself.

3. There are tons of reputable online retailers, including perfumeemporium, beautyencounter, and fragrancenet that sell Creeds far below retail. The only drawback - and this is only from stories here - is that the bottles may be old stock and thus may not stay good as long.
    I was trying to figure out how they were able to sell so cheap?

I rather not buy something that can possibly be old even if i do save some money
    4. We all know that eBay is a hornet's nest of Creed fakes, and I'm not going to try to sort through what may and not be fake (and I don't suggest anyone else try without knowing what they're doing). What I have found is that some eBay sellers sell lots of samples at reasonable cost. I liked Creed Vanisia, and I recently purchased a lot of 10 samples for $11+shipping. At 2ml/each this is 20ml, so for $16 I got 2/3 oz of a fragrance that goes for much more. And yes, it smells identical to the samples I got from the Creed rep.
    from all the horror stories i been reading about ebay and creed i am staying far away from ebay just not worth it

thanks for all the good tips

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The one eBayer I trusted for Creed (Creedirect) and gave great buys on it sold out her remaining stock to a single buyer last year and is no longer in business.

That said, the only fake Creed seller I bought from did return my money but I still went after him. He is no longer in business under the old name but I am sure is still around, selling fake frags and making money doing it. NYC based, nasty in correspondence, did NOT take PayPal or Google payments (a red flag) and should be face-sprayed with Kouros Extrait IMO

Official sample vials or Department Store testers are the best way to see what the real thing is all about with Creed. Then, find a generally lauded reputable Basenoter or dealer online or local merchant to purchase.
    Last edited by kbe; 6th October 2008 at 01:45 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Well I am sort of dissapointed

They had no samples to give me but they let me spray directly on each hand

So I tested MI on one hand and Himalaya on other

HImalaya was definitely nice and The drydown was sweet but only lasted about 3 hours on my skin

MI lasted about an hour or so, also I sprayed Unforgiveable afterward further up my arm just to see a comparison and I swear I cannot smell any difference then again I am not an expert.

I really liked Himalya but is it worth it to only last 3 hours?

I might go back tomorrow and try some more sample tests with maybe SMW and something else

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    Well I am sort of dissapointed

They had no samples to give me but they let me spray directly on each hand

So I tested MI on one hand and Himalaya on other

HImalaya was definitely nice and The drydown was sweet but only lasted about 3 hours on my skin

MI lasted about an hour or so, also I sprayed Unforgiveable afterward further up my arm just to see a comparison and I swear I cannot smell any difference then again I am not an expert.

I really liked Himalya but is it worth it to only last 3 hours?

I might go back tomorrow and try some more sample tests with maybe SMW and something else

funny you say that MI lasted only an a hour on you??, this one lasts like 8+ hours on me. Compare that to Musc Raveguer which gives me only 40 mins on good days...;-( But Himalaya does smell awesome, I'm been meaning to getting this, but can't make up my mind.
    its either Himalaya or Straight to Heaven.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Now that I have more experience with other scents, I think the only bottle worthy creed is Acier Aluminum.
    I bought Erolfa and SMW, but they do not get much use any more.

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    funny you say that MI lasted only an a hour on you??, this one lasts like 8+ hours on me. Compare that to Musc Raveguer which gives me only 40 mins on good days...;-( But Himalaya does smell awesome, I'm been meaning to getting this, but can't make up my mind.
    its either Himalaya or Straight to Heaven.

I think I am going to buy a sample of HImalaya and play with it some more becuase I really do love the smell

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Now that I have more experience with other scents, I think the only bottle worthy creed is Acier Aluminum.
    I bought Erolfa and SMW, but they do not get much use any more.
    They did not have Acier Aluminum as a sample but might order a sample

I'm not surprised they didn't give or make you samples at Saks... don't let them fool you, they both have samples and they will make them for you. The problem is the SAs need to feel like you're going to come back and buy something instead of just using the samples instead. I usually try to develop a rapport with the SAs, I'll fib a little and tell them I own a few of whatever line they're selling, and I let them know I have a large collection and will buy what I like if I can skin test it first. This will usually prompt the samples to come out. Even this doesn't work sometimes, at which point you can directly ask and tell them you'll buy if you can give them a full wear - but sometimes you're just SOL.

The best places to get samples to take home is Nordstoms (they don't sell Creed, tho), where they will give you samples of anything you ask for.

Of course it helps when you're already buying a bottle.... make sure to mention you'd like to buy 'X' and can you also have samples of A, B & C so you know whether you want to buy those also.

ps. Even after 10+ visits to Saks over 2 weeks and 3 bottle purchases, some SAs still weren't giving me samples, but luckily the couple of SAs that realized I was actually buying what I sampled kept them flowing for me. I came home from my visit with about 60 samples total.

Good luck.
    Last edited by bbBD; 6th October 2008 at 04:06 AM.

I actually told them I was serious about purchasing a bottle of Creed I just was not sure which one, and wanted to see what would fit with my skin chemistry and which one I would like best.

The guy was not very friendly or helpful I can understand if he was busy, but I was the only customer.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I actually told them I was serious about purchasing a bottle of Creed I just was not sure which one, and wanted to see what would fit with my skin chemistry and which one I would like best.

The guy was not very friendly or helpful I can understand if he was busy, but I was the only customer.
    Sometimes the SA just turns you off..... I once made a special trip to one of the 'holy grails' of fragrance shopping, Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA. I'd heard about the place for years, and I knew they had a large selection of obscure items. Anyway, I walked in with a pocket full of cash to spend (they don't take cards) but the clerk was such a douche to me that I just walked out. His bad, really.

Denac,

I have an extra sample of himalaya. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. no cost.

Btw it's strange that himalaya didn't last on you. I get about 10 hours +.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Denac,

I have an extra sample of himalaya. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. no cost.

Btw it's strange that himalaya didn't last on you. I get about 10 hours +.

Thanks PM sent

if i can get even 6 hours I would be really happy

Thanks to Futami, I got 3 samples of GIT, SMW, and Himalaya over the weekend

I sampled Green Irish Tweed first. These are the first times I was able to really skin test and use.

Green Irish Tweed: Lasted the longest on me so far out of the 3 samples about 12 hours +, even the next morning before I took a shower I was getting whiffs of it, I really enjoyed it a lot, but I have to be honest while I can smell a subtle difference between this and cool water, I am not sure it would be worth buying when I can get a 4.2 oz bottle of cool water for $24.

I really wanted to like it and see a difference between GIT and Cool water, i asked a friend of mine about 3 hours after I sprayed GIT and Cool Water, one on each hand which one he liked better and he looked at me like they were the same thing, when I told him one cost $122 and the other $24, he thought I was nuts and said spend $24 and give him the $80 LOL

So GIT is out...

So next day I tested Silver Mountain Water and here is my thoughts: I only used a little in the beginning and noticed it only stayed about 3 hours and after that I can barely notice it, while it was there you had to be really up close to me to smell it, it was there after that for maybe about 4 hours longer, later that day I used the rest of the vial and by doing that I increased the longevity of the middle notes I guess to about 6 hours and had better sillage.

But here is the thing it smelled way too feminine too me, after the drydown it got a little better, but it still was too feminine, I do not know if I can live with that smell too much. I am not sure if SMW is for me. I do not see myself wearing this one on a regular basis at all.

Last but not least the one I really wanted to try

Himalaya: Ok I basically poured half of the creed sample vial between my hands, wrist, neck, and chest. I did it at 6:45 am, and was able to smell it pretty strong until around 10 am or so. which is I guess 3 hours or so

I still smell it but I guess this is the base notes now, it is not as strong though. I am not sure how much is there now.

The one thing I noticed is the drydown is starting to remind me of SMW a little bit? They seem to be very closely related?

So far out of the 3 Creeds if any I were to purchase I still like Himalaya even if it has shorter longevity. The smell of Himalaya in the first couple hours is just awesome.