Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Talking Tampa Bay Basenoters Sniffathon #1

The first official gathering of the Tampa Bay Basenoters occurred on Saturday, October 4, 2008 at International Plaza in Tampa, FL. In attendance was silverbullet (Jack), thaifighter (Wiley), mekanic (Rich) and petruccijc (Joe).

Our destinations were Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Dillards, Sephora, Burberry, L’Occitane and Caswell-Massey. We sniffed and sampled and rated a bunch of fragrances using a 1-5 scale (5=excellent, 4=very good, 3=average, 2=below average, 1=horrible). Here are some highlights from our day:

Nordstrom:

- Nordstrom had just unpacked Cartier Roadster and put it on the shelves. There was no tester but our favorite SA said “Since you are such good regular customers, I will just open one up”. I really love the mint opening – it was fantastic. But then as it dried down, I got really bored with it. It just turned into nothing great or special. I am disappointed, but got some samples to test it some more. No one else was really thrilled with it either. Our consensus rating is 2.5 stars.

- We all tried Dsquared2 He Wood. We felt it had a nice cedar opening, but not too much else going on with it - kind of boring. Our consensus rating is 2.5 stars.

- We all felt Guerlain Homme was nice, clean, safe and inoffensive – but nothing special to write home about. The consensus rating is 3 stars.

Neiman Marcus:

- Wiley and Jack both fell in love Tom Ford White Patchouli, and both give it 4.5 stars. This one just does not do well on my skin so I only give it 2.5 stars.

- I wasn’t interested in trying any Creed fragrances (I know what I like and don’t like already). But the other guys wanted to check them out. Wiley was smitten by Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie. He said it was one of the best rose fragrances that he has ever smelled and gives it 5 stars. This was Rich’s first time getting to sample Creeds - he was like a kid in a candy store. He fell for Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water. He gives both 5 stars. I just said to him “Wait until we go to Dillards”.

Dillards:

- We tried Polo Modern Reserve. I know I already posted about this one. But the consensus seemed to be “Yeah, it’s a toned down version of the original Polo”. It’s a modern take – lighter, inoffensive, not as sharp. But I guess that is what sells in today's market. Our consensus rating is 3 stars. I know I personally like the original Polo because it is strong, bold and complex. This is how I like my fragrances to be, as well as my coffee and men.

- I had Rich try on Sean John Unforgivable. I asked him if he saw any similarities between it and Milliseme Imperial. He said “No way! MI blows Unforgivable away!”. About hour later he said to me “You know what, these smell exactly alike!”.

Sephora:

- Wiley and I both were enamored with Fresh Cannabis Rose. We both love the bright rose/citrus opening and then the warmer drydown with the chocolate and patchouli notes. We both give it 4 stars.

- Wiley had never tried Bulgari Aqua. He said “It is the best aquatic fragrance I have smelled to date”. He gives it 4 stars.

- Jack’s favorite fragrances in the store were Fresh Cannabis Santal and Masaki Matsushima M;Men. He gives them both 5 starts.

- Rich has sort of a “sweet nose” and gravitates towards sweeter scents. So I knew he would probably like Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy Men. He did and gives it 4 stars.

- I purposely made Rich try Jean-Paul Gaultier Fleur du Male. His comment was “It is the most vile scent I have ever smelled”. He gives it 1 star (he would have given it 0 if that was the scale we were using). I knew he was going to have that reaction – which is why I wanted him to try it.

- Someone mentioned grapefruit, so I said "You have to try Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune!". I love the "dirty grapfruit" vibe that it has and give it 4 stars. Everyone else was not as excited about it as I am. They all pretty much wrinkled up their noses and thought it was nasty and gave it 1 star.

Burberry:

The Burberry store had The Beat for Men. It is a nice, clean, inoffensive scent - nothing special or extraordinary. However, I surprisingly got really good sillage and longevity out of this one. It’s not something I am interested in. But if you are looking for this type of fragrance – this one could be a good option for you. My rating is 3 stars.

L’Occitane:

- Wiley really loved the L’Occitane Vetyver. He said he was getting some strong cedar notes from it and liked that it was not soapy like a lot of other vetivers. He gives it 4 stars.

- Rich really liked the Eau de Baux. He liked the woody opening and slightly sweeter drydown. He gives it 4 stars.

- Jack was fond of the lavender based Eau de L’Occitane and gives it 4 stars.

- I think L’Occitane puts out some really great fragrances at very reasonable prices. If you haven’t tried them, I recommend that you do.

Caswell-Massey:

- We sampled a variety of fragrances from Lorenzo Villoresi, Roger & Gallet, and Truefitt & Hill. Jack’s favorite (as I knew it would be) was Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum and he gives it 5 stars. I have always been fond of Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina. It is the epitome of the classic eau de cologne – IMO one of the best, if not the best on the market. I give it 5 stars.

We had a great time together sampling fragrances and getting to know each other better - and we all took home a bunch of samples to do some further testing. We hope to have our 2nd sniffathon sometime soon. We welcome any other members who live in the Tampa Bay area to accompany us on our next trip, as well as join our Basenotes social group. Also if anyone is visiting our area and would like to meet up, please give us a shout!

Cheers,

Joe

Relaxing after a long day of fragrance sampling. From left to right - Jack, Wiley, Joe, Rich

Last edited by petruccijc; 6th October 2008 at 02:59 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Tampa Bay Basenoters Sniffathon #1

Joe I really love these walk-throughs of your scented excursions... sounds like you gents had a wonderful day - and Im pleased you decided to share it, so I could live vicariously through you all!
    Nice one, lads!

What a motley crew! Sounds like y'all had too good of a time. I didn't hear anything about cocktails or a designated driver but maybe that came later.

Looking forward to your next outing!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Very nice read, thanks for sharing

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Great romp through Scentland Joe! I love reading a personal diary of such a day in the trenches. But..dissing Creed MI? That is Unforgivable

...I will toast your odyessy later today with a few of these>>>

.. while smelling like this>>>
    Last edited by kbe; 5th October 2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

It sounded like you all had a great time! There are a few in your list that I would like to try so thanks for sharing your day together!

Ummm.... likkkeee.... why wasn't I invited??? I'm totally kidding (Joe knows I am out of the country now)... How fun though! I'm surprised you guys didn't stop at the Bois 1920 area in Dillards. I also really agree with your thoughts on the L'Occitane fragrances. They are really great. That vetyver is just stunning!
    Last edited by nthny; 5th October 2008 at 03:48 PM.

What great fun!

Please let me know whenever you set a date for the next one. My daughter lives in the area - would be a good excuse to make the trip.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

that is way cool, I wish I can meet some other people interested in perfumes over here,
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sorry I couldn't make it! I thought of you all over there and played in Millenia in honor of it.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 5th October 2008 at 05:09 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Sorry I couldn't make it! I thought of you all over there and played in Millenia in honor of it.
    We are actually thinking of making Millenia one of our excursions. So we would definitely like to meet up with you there if we do - as well as any other of our Orlando neighbors!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    What great fun!

Please let me know whenever you set a date for the next one. My daughter lives in the area - would be a good excuse to make the trip.
    Anytime Two Roads. We would love to have you join us!

AromiErotici

Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously. Here in Billings, all we have is Dillard's,Penny's and Herberger's.

I'm not knocking those stores either and they carry the up-to-date frags....but only the current frags, so fragrance sampling here gets to be a bit mundane.

Anywya, thanks for the walk-through. I had fun reading the thread.

We had a lot of fun, I got to learn a lot and smell a TON! Had a sore throat from all the sniffing haha.

The Creed booth was a brutal experience. I wanted to spend SO much money there haha. Tried tons of there frags, and even the ones I didn't care for personally, I could still appreciate and see the quality in them. GIT and MI will be in my collection someday for sure.

Today my fiancee and I celebrated our 10th anniversary (neither of us remember the date, so we pick a day in Oct. haha) so we swapped frags.

She got me Burberry London (thanks again for sending me that Mr.Enabler haha)
    I got her Delices De Cartier. Wonderful frag we got to experience on the sniffathon.

I smelled some great things Creed MI, 212 Sexy Men.
    Dirty English stood out to me as well.

And I smelled some things I didn't care for.

Fleur De Male is a good example. Man that stuff is awful haha. I'm a big Le Male fan, but Fleur made me flinch. I also did not care for A*Men. I like sweet frags but that was a bit too sweet. Reminded me of cotton candy, and I thought I was gonna get a cavity from smelling it hehe.

The new Burberry Touch is everywhere now. I saw it in Dillards, Macy's and a couple other places while at Countryside today. Its a good frag, but too much like their others, smells like a mix of Brit and London to me.

I wanted to try M7 but there was no one there who had it.

I really look forward to doing it again, and learning and sniffing even more.

I also look forward to a different pic haha. I look like crap in that one (was up 24 hours when it was taken heh)

Again, thanks a ton for the invite, and the knowledge, I am very excited to go again

~Rich

Oh also one other I really liked was Gucci by Gucci. I got a tester of this one for later, really nice to my nose.

I'm gonna call it G heh

Joe seems like you had a blast...did you guys walk away with lots of samples?

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Don't understand all the Fleur du Male hate ..
    -

What the f**k are you talking about I wasn't even there, and will deny it to my grave. I know you're a master with Photoshop Joe, but that's reaching new lows. I have proof that I stood you all up and went up to Millenia Mall in Orlando to meet up with my new friend jrd4t.

Just kidding, I had a smash up good time with meeting up with my old friends Joe and Wiley and meeting Rich and his fiance for the first time.

Joe's snapshot narrative is spot on as usual. I'm glad he wasn't the court reporter at my last trial. I gave He Wood a second go around and bumped it up to a 4.0.
    Guerlain Homme laid too close to my skin and had poor longevity.
    I would buy a flacon (if they came in one) of Tom Ford's White Patchouli, Fresh Cannabis (not that kind) Santal, and Masaki Matsushima M;Men.
    And no, I didn't revisit Devin again, I have standards to uphold.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 6th October 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OILMAN View Post
    Joe seems like you had a blast...did you guys walk away with lots of samples?
    I got 5 from Creed, and took home 1 of Gucci by Gucci, and Coco Mademoiselle for my girl

Basenotes Institution

Sounds like you guys had fun. Isn't shopping with Basenoters the coolest experience!?

When I finished reading Joe's report, I thought to myself: I wonder what the SA's at these stores were thinking to themselves, when they saw this bunch of four guys together in the fragrance department. Sniffing, testing, sampling. Just goes to show you - guys can be perfumistas too!

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Ummm.... likkkeee.... why wasn't I invited??? I'm totally kidding (Joe knows I am out of the country now)... How fun though! I'm surprised you guys didn't stop at the Bois 1920 area in Dillards. I also really agree with your thoughts on the L'Occitane fragrances. They are really great. That vetyver is just stunning!
    AHhh yes, one that didn't make it into the reviews! We went through so many I had a headache by the end of the day! (ok, I had a hangover to BEGIN the day, but that usually goes away by lunch)

The Bois 1920 was indeed an interesting line with the Original as the standout. I think that one will be bottle-worthy! The Sandalo was nice, but didn't really captivate me like the original.

I will be purchasing the L'Occitane Vetyver for sure! That cedar note smokes TDH.

Sounds like you guys had fun. Isn't shopping with Basenoters the coolest experience!?

When I finished reading Joe's report, I thought to myself: I wonder what the SA's at these stores were thinking to themselves, when they saw this bunch of four guys together in the fragrance department. Sniffing, testing, sampling. Just goes to show you - guys can be perfumistas too!
    aye it was, and you'd have been right proud of us Mike. We kept the SA's running like madwomen. I'm not sure they quite knew what to make of us.

I liked Beverly at Nordstrom's the best of all, she was fairly laid back and helpful and unflinching in her response to our samplemongering. I will definitely ask for her when I go back to purchase.

Mekanic scored the motherload from the lady at the Creed counter in Neiman Marcus. Who was also very nice and helpful without being pushy. once I get my tuition and books of the credit cards, I may have to go back and treat myself to the Rose Bulgarie. THat's the purest Rose I've found and I've got 31, no.88, INcense Rose, Fresh Cannabis Rose, HB and Black Aoud for comparison.

What the f**k are you talking about I wasn't even there, and will deny it to my grave. I know you're a master with Photoshop Joe, but that's reaching new lows.
    Man is he ever...

WTF happened to my hair?!?!?!?!?!?

It was a pleasure guys! If you'd like to do Millenia, I've got comfortable room for 5 in the truck...

and the bed extender in case we run out of room for the samples we collect.
    Last edited by thaifighter; 6th October 2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: smart-ass comment
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

HOLY CRAP!!!

I was more interested in a frag I almost died when smelling at the sniffathon. Love by Ralph Lauren.

I thought this was one of the best frags of the day hands down. Give it a 5, Absolutely amazing!!!

I wanted to find more about it, and I found there is no listing for it in the basenotes directory!

So I looked on RL's website to find it... and find it I did.

Embrace Love, our luxury-edition amethyst spray parfum. An extravagant floral oriental fragrance blended of warm golden amber, creamy sandalwood, orris root butter and its signature: the Bulgarian rose, the iconic symbol of love.

$600 a bottle!!!!!!!!

A HALF OUNCE BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=3249609
    Last edited by Mekanic; 7th October 2008 at 10:32 AM.

This thread was like a breath of fresh air. Whatever we are, it isn't a bunch of "perfume snobs"! Did you raise any eyebrows?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    We are actually thinking of making Millenia one of our excursions. So we would definitely like to meet up with you there if we do - as well as any other of our Orlando neighbors!
    I'm in!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I'm in!
    Excellent PM me and I'll let you know when the next soiree is.

The RL Love was indeed a five....

but at 600 bucks a half oz I should STILL have a wicked buzz from that one sample whiff...

can't blame 'em for trying I guess
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

4 Bners in a perfume store? WOW ! keep it coming Petrucci! planning a world tour anytime soon?

Hey, I just found out International mall was right behind the Lasik Plus center I go to occassionally. As I was turning into the driveway, I saw the Nordstrom building. So you know where I headed after my appointment.

Beverly was the SA that helped me with a few samples. I took home samples of Aqua Di Parma Colonia, Assoluta, Boucheron Pour Homme EDP, and Thierry Mugler cologne.

I have to go back in 6 weeks, so maybe I'll try one of the other stores there....
    Last edited by PJX007; 7th October 2008 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    The RL Love was indeed a five....

but at 600 bucks a half oz I should STILL have a wicked buzz from that one sample whiff...

can't blame 'em for trying I guess
    Fear not You were looking at the pure perfume. Here's the EdP:
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...735cat18170731
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

ok....who would win in a fight to the death.....silverbullet or thaifighter....

you guys look hilariously mismatced and thats the greatest thing about it....completely different personalities, characters united together by their love for scents....

P.S....silverbullet your picture reminded me quickly of this

or the big big guy from the tony ja movie....

when you guys in nyc, let me know.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    ok....who would win in a fight to the death.....silverbullet or thaifighter....you guys look hilariously mismatced and thats the greatest thing about it....completely different personalities, characters united together by their love for scents....
    Good bet. Thaifighter has the youth, size and power advantage. I, however, am sneaky, unpredictable, and quicker.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I'm in!
    Im also in!!!!

Nice report guys thanks for sharing.
    I've been looking to try HeWood for awhile now and was interested to hear your takes.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    ok....who would win in a fight to the death.....silverbullet or thaifighter....

you guys look hilariously mismatced and thats the greatest thing about it....completely different personalities, characters united together by their love for scents....

P.S....silverbullet your picture reminded me quickly of this

or the big big guy from the tony ja movie....

when you guys in nyc, let me know.
    I'll concede that bout to SilverBullet...

age before beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Fear not You were looking at the pure perfume. Here's the EdP:
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...735cat18170731
    oh praise jeebus lol.

That wasn't listed on Basenotes directory or on RL's site