Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Post A Picture of Your Scents

zr0e,

Your taste in wristwatches is even more impressive. If I'm not mistaken, this beauty appears to be a Breitling.
    Could you kindly post a more detailed photo?
    It looks awesome

Gladly, but not at the moment

Perhaps later today.

this will help any Breitling cravings a bit or worsen them like it does me. It comes with a Bentley.
    Or maybe buying a Bentley gives you an option to have one of these made. I forget. It's one of those "if you have to ask"

at the Breitling web site
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 17th February 2007 at 07:27 PM.

That's a very nice Tourbillon, but i prefer Perrelet over Breitling. I also like Girard-Perregaux!.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 17th February 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Indeed, there are some quite nice Breitlings, with the exception of precious metals though, they are priced fairly reasonably, and depending on which line you choose, very sturdy (ranging to just sturdy.)

For the sake of keeping it relevant:

and two more, detailed shots:

Although that wrist shot might not give you an impression of how big the watch really is, it is 46MM in diameter, the largest of all the Navitimer line.

In the past I've owned 4 other Breitlings and 2 Panerais, though I no longer have any of them. I do have some pictures:

Pam88 (44MM for comparison):

Pam72 (40MM for comparison):

Breitling for Bentley, Bentley Motors (48MM for comparison!):

zr0e,

That Navitimer photo is one beautiful eye-candy Thanks for sharing it.

I tend to think of a wristwatch as a precision instrument, rather than a jewelry piece, and as such, find Breitling watches to fit that bill perfectly. The use of extensive jewelry in a wristwatch, like the ones you find in some Rolex series, is too ostentatious for my taste.

Cheers!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    this will help any Breitling cravings a bit or worsen them like it does me.
    Thanks fredricktoo. Unfortunately, it had the same effect on me as it had on you The pain only grew !!!
    And some people have the nerve to think that only fragrance addiction is a strange and expensive habit
    Last edited by godzilla; 19th February 2007 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    I tend to think of a wristwatch as a precision instrument, rather than a jewelry piece,
    I started down that road and quickly found a roadblock:
    Even the very expensive (Rolex) watches that use a mechanical movement are inherently less accurate than quartz watches.

That is, you can spend thousands of dollars for a watch and it will still not keep better time than a $20 quartz casio.

I've looked for hybrids that use GPS satellite or WWV time signals to synch but still offer an analog display (hands), but haven't found anything that's made well and looks good (been a few years since I last looked though).

I guess it's the engineer in me that can't stand to pay a lot for a timepiece if it can't be accurate. I did break down and buy a dress watch, but to me it's basically jewelry and I rarely wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by radix023
    Even the very expensive (Rolex) watches that use a mechanical movement are inherently less accurate than quartz watches.

That is, you can spend thousands of dollars for a watch and it will still not keep better time than a $20 quartz casio.

I guess it's the engineer in me that can't stand to pay a lot for a timepiece if it can't be accurate. I did break down and buy a dress watch, but to me it's basically jewelry and I rarely wear it.
    Very true indeed. However, for me, the search for a perfect wristwatch is more than a search for extreme accuracy.

I too had to ask myself whether there was a practical need to wear a wristwatch which could keep track of time down to 0.001th of a second. Sure, the cumulative error which periodically manifests itself in mechanical watches needs to be accounted for, but to me, it's a small price to pay when considering all their other advantages. So rather than listing the merits of mechanical watches here, I will simply provide a link to an article which has done a good job comparing the two types of movements.

It should be an enjoyable read: http://www.timezone.com/library/arch...03148375478424

Last edited by godzilla; 19th February 2007 at 06:57 PM.

I'm wearing a Breitling Steelfish at the moment. It's the biggest watch I'd consider wearing. I've owned a Rolex before, and I will probably buy another some day, if the Lord continues to bless me. My wife bought me a cool Tag Heuer Alarm watch for Christmas.

Automatic watches, though, are a pain if you don't wear them everyday or put them on a winder. Kinda high-maintenance for what you pay.

What's with all the watches?? I am a vintage watch ( chronograph) collector as well as a frag and sneaker freak..
    I have managed to be a good boy sofar and did not discuss watches on basenotes, don't tempt me...
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

How do your watches smell? Strawberry Tag Heuer? Off Topic? What's up next? How does your Telly smell? Burberry HDTV? Raspberry Blueray concoction?
    Last edited by dr.creed; 19th February 2007 at 09:13 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Oh noooooooo... we've veered off topic... someone get a diaper, quick!

This thread has 13.135 views and it seems no mod has been here for the last two weeks.
    OK. I'll post a picture of my casio calculater then, or some old, out of use coins from Africa? :toppie:
    Last edited by dr.creed; 19th February 2007 at 09:47 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    This thread has 13.135 views and it seems no mod has been here for the last two weeks.
    And if people stop their constant nagging, there'd pobably be no need for a mod intervention either.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    OK. I'll post a picture of my casio calculater then, or some old, out of use coins from Africa? :toppie:
    Only if you promise not to put them next to a Creed fragrance. :toppie: :toppie:

Oh noooooooo... nooooooooo ..... nooooooo. I won't dooooo daaaaat! :wave:
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Are you mocking my breitling an amouage picture!?!?!!? how dare you

I don't think a Winder is much of a hassle, I've not changed batteries in mine in 3 years, despite winding for at least most nights during the week...it is a little extra cost, but the watches aren't cheap in the first place, what's a little more?

Anyway, my Breitling current possesses mostly leather notes, due to the strap. In the summer when I switch to the bracelet... pure metallic, it's what Acier Aluminum would smell like if it were based entirely on the name.

Contrary to popular opinion, I have been watching the thread.

If you guys want me to, I'll gladly separate out the watch posts and make them into their own thread on the off-topic board. Maybe I should do that just so people don't feel as restrained.

I wear a 24-hour face Fortis. Love the shots of Breitling here, but once you've had a 24-hour face you can't go back, so, sadly, the only Breitling beauty for me is the Cosmonaute. (I think they made a Bentley with a 24-hour face, but it has been a while since I went looking.) My Fortis is fantastic though.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quite right, quite right. I had my eye on a Cosmo early in my watch days, and what a striking face it has... but quickly realized the diameter was too small! The bentley is too rare, costing nearly $10k if you can find one, it was a LE of 1000 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by radix023

I've looked for hybrids that use GPS satellite or WWV time signals to synch but still offer an analog display (hands), but haven't found anything that's made well and looks good (been a few years since I last looked though).

That's the atomic watch I have. Has worked flawlessly for 2 years now.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendeep
    Wow. Some awesome collections here.
    As a newbie, I'm both awed and optimistic.

One bottle I saw in several pics has a red 'jewel' in the top.
    What fragrance is that?

Thanks,
    Serendeep
    I think it's Santal Noble by MPG. Cheap, horrible caps but the frag is very nice.

Dan
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 19th February 2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by JYvdK
    What's with all the watches?? I am a vintage watch ( chronograph) collector as well as a frag and sneaker freak..
    I have managed to be a good boy sofar and did not discuss watches on basenotes, don't tempt me...

I was wearing an original vintage 1950s Hamilton today. I have always preferred the look of classic vintage watches over modern designs. I've only recently invested in the Hamilton, but I may acquire another in the near future. I also need to repair my father's autowind Wittnauer and wear it more. What do you have in your collection?

Default Re: Basenoters love wristwatches!

Ahh watches! I was wondering when they would turn up!

I cannot afford to collect watches, but if I won the lottery I surely would. I had a big hankering for a Lange and Sohne last year, but I settled for an Omega co-axial (black face, silver roman numerals). I also have an IWC from the 40s (rose gold, black face and gold numerals — really stunning). And then there is the first autowind Omega, in gold, which I keep in the drawer.

Vintage watches seem to go very well with vintage colognes (and neither seem to go well with marriage!)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Vintage watches seem to go very well with vintage colognes (and neither seem to go well with marriage!)
    LOL... Classic

I really love those Panerais, but can someone tell me a little about their quality? As I'm considering buying a watch and I don't want to regret it after a few years

Panerai should be strong watches as they were initially concepted for the navy submariners. That's why of their huge looking quadrants. I personally don't like them that much due to their heavy, large and thick shape.
    I'm definitely a fan of Baume&Mercier and I'm really satified with my Hampton Spirit (dark grey quadrant).

It is tough when you have the taste and connoisseurship of a god and the wallet of a mere mortal! Collecting vintage watches is the surest road to the poorhouse.

I've limited myself to one nice modest little gem - a 1960s (I think) Longines Admiral with a steel blue face. It has a wind mechanism, which I like (without getting too Zen there is something connecting about checking the time and winding up the watch, particularly on a Monday morning after a weekend of not watching the clock). It also has a leather strap as I can't feel comfortable in a metal one.

PS - I had a colleague who was forever stopping people on the corridor to ask the time. I'd ask him why he didn't just buy a watch, he'd say "Well .. any old fool can tell you the time". Happy days!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Panerai is definitely not an established name, with their first official series in around 1997 and from there, that's only a 10 year history not including the vintage Navy pieces, and some love affair with Sly Stallone in the pre-vendom era (those watches are even more expensive...)

The two I owned were boh very rugged and handsome, though I felt the need for a busier dial and eventually went back to Breitling (I went from the Violet Bentley Motors (Breitling) to the 72c which I quickly sold, as I was never intending to keep it, just that it was easier to move than the Breitling, then to the 88 which was what I wanted (bigger diameter, striking face with the second dial being silver, and of course the GMT function) an then finally to the Navitimer World which is the watch I should have gotten years ago, though the adventure up to this point has been fun.

The Panerais have one downfall, and that is imo, the models with the date functions suffer due to the cyclops magnifier. If I were to buy a Panerai I'd buy a 217 or a 127, if I wanted an automatic (those two models are 47mm hand-wound) I'd probably skip the date function, and I personally feel the date function is a necessity -- so there lies a bit of a tear.

Anyway, if you ahve more questions about Panerai I suggest Timezone.com (Brand Forums --> Panerai) there is a ton of information.

Talking Re: Basenoters love wristwatches!

Y'all need to get metal wristbands for your Breitlings. They look so much cooler that way.

Yes, it's $900 bucks just for the wristband, but the leather ones wear out so in the end it's a good investment.

I'm putting some unusual watches and one clock from the blogs to my basenotes blog. who can find the quarter of a million dollar wrist watch on the blogs I read. I'll leave clues later.
    it's under blogging > fredricktoo

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I'm putting some unusual watches and one clock from the blogs to my basenotes blog. who can find the quarter of a million dollar wrist watch on the blogs I read. I'll leave clues later.
    it's under blogging > fredricktoo

Thank you for the pictures! I loved that Chronoswiss skeleton watch!

a load of skeletonized watches on my blog
    such as

and week of March 25th NYC Watch auction

I had no idea you guys were into this too!

I've got two Breitlings, an old Patek Calatrava, two Baume & Merciers, a TAG Formula One.

I REALLY, really want a Vacheron Overseas Chrono -- does anybody have one they can tell me about??

Basenoters love wristwatches? That's a hasty generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Basenoters love wristwatches? That's a hasty generalization.
    It's a very long story

If I have money left from buying frags, I'd like to buy a LANGE 1.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Thank you for the pictures! I loved that Chronoswiss skeleton watch!
    I went and looked and didn't see any skeleton watch....I want to seeeeeeee.

I'll admit that I am not really in this league of wristwatch connoisseurs, however the photos are pretty.
    What about pocket watches. To my mind they are rather more romantic and elegant somehow; they make one think of The Gift of the Magi, for example.
    Also, they are generally concealed, taken out for view only at select moments, indicating a sense of mystique and privacy of the wearer.
    A wristwatch is there for all to see at all times, at the caprice of the turn of a sleeve, no?

oh dear, why am I getting into this conversation?
    I don't wear watches, ever. As a massage therapist they interfere , and I got into the habit of simply not wearing one. The mechanism itself is distracting.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Here you go Renee
    a Patek Phillipe

more info on my blog

Quote Originally Posted by dwntwnjay View Post
    I had no idea you guys were into this too!

I've got two Breitlings, an old Patek Calatrava, two Baume & Merciers, a TAG Formula One.

I REALLY, really want a Vacheron Overseas Chrono -- does anybody have one they can tell me about??
    The old Patek Calatrava is a watch that I've wanted for the longest time. Very envious.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Here you go Renee
    a Patek Phillipe

more info on my blog
    why, thank you.

and that's MISTRESS Renee, to you!

(joking)
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Sorry Mistress Renee
    wait, if you're mistress, does that identify you as submissive?
    I know a bit about phareology from friends who after telling me I was vanilla went spinning off into their fantasy worlds of leather, latex, whip, handcuffs etc.
    According to one friend a professor at University who also worked with Pharmaceutical companys on the anti-dpressants that they were working on before public release had a full fledged torture chamber .

Out of my league as well. I can't afford those yet!

In the mean time, I make do with a couple of Kenneth Cole (stainless steel) "dress" watches (one with 3 additional dials, the other just date) and my new Black steel Fossil I just got. It looks like an avaiation gauge.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 17th October 2007 at 08:42 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I'm not very impressed by Rolexs, and never really have been. There's so many other awesome watches out there to choose from. They don't really stand out at all to me.
    My thoughts as well, I have never thought of them as even attractive, the only Rolex i would even consider buying is the Cellini Rolex Prince, just because it doesn't look like a regular Rolex. A lot of them are just so tacky and "cluncky".

one of my first watches was a Tag, btw.

Well, if you don't like Rolexes, you probably won't like my Seiko, either. It's a SKX031 that is very Rolex-y. But it is what I wanted -- a dive-style automatic watch that isn't too thick and that won't make me cry if it gets stolen or messed up. And it's a great watch for about the same price as many Fossil watches. My only complaint is that I ordered it, so to get it serviced I'd probably have to have it shipped back overseas. It runs a little fast, but no auto watch is perfect. I like it.

I love my Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Gran'Sport. Crushed to find that recently it has been discontinued, but am confident that the great company will be happy to keep mine in fine working order.

I also love Vacheron Constantine and Breguets, but they are way out of my price range now that "She Who Must be Obeyed" is demanding a new kitche. OUCH!

This is one of my favorite wristwatches that I own.

http://diamonds.bluenile.com/assets/...00600_zoom.jpg

Excellent article from the Time Tapestry blog on watch collecting.

called — collectors... types, trajectories and lifestyles

http://timetapestry.blogspot.com/200...ories-and.html

This is my favorite watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    This is one of my favorite wristwatches that I own.

http://diamonds.bluenile.com/assets/...00600_zoom.jpg
    I like that one too, it's efficient and it looks good. I like it better with a black leather band though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
    This is my favorite watch.

Do you know the year it was made?
    I like the flying bird there!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 23rd May 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My watch was made in 2005. Here is a picture of the back -

Cool Re: Basenoters love wristwatches!

In the ' Eat Your Heart Out ' department, or perhaps the more appropiately named: ' Are The Rich Totally Nuts ? ' Department

I proudly present, courtesy of Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/collecting/200..._1201feat.html

As to my own not so humble taste:

I love Patek Phillipe's Calatrava line, esp the 'officer's' watch. Their Portugese series is not too shabby either. The Brietling Steelfish Super Ocean ( Die, Rolex! Die! ) and Cockpit models. The IWC classic Mark XV and, to a lesser degree, their ' Spitfire ' variant. Awfully decent of them to name them after the plane that saved England, since IWC manufactured watches for the Luftwaffe in WW 2, esp the incredibly well crafted B-Uhr aviator's. Extremely hard to find. Its current poorer cousin is the ' Big Pilot. ' Lastly, Chopard's Mille Miglia Gran Turismo XL with a Dunlop-tread rubber band.----It really goes well when I wear Bulgari Black.

Too lazy to post pics or urls right now. Maybe later.

Just remember the next time you go to a French restaurant to order the Tourbillon

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 9th August 2007 at 10:24 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Here's my baby....

I also have a Frederique Constant Classic for when i want to be more formal.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

what decade is that tuner from? It beautiful!
    btw: if you love vintage watches theres a blog that's nearly watchporn.

http://watchismo.blogspot.com/

I just drool

this guys an incredible photographer of beautiful watches and clocks

http://watchinghorology.com/

try http://dreamwatches.blogspot.com/ also because the blog is always featuring the latest most incredible stuff.

How about unaffordable dream cars? any one have links?
    heres some eye candy I couldn't possibly afford

Last edited by fredricktoo; 10th August 2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cool Re: Basenoters love wristwatches!

Mattybumpkin: Well, I think you might be attributing to Winston one of Oscar's favorite sayings, but be that as it may, that is one gorgeous and sporty Pro Black Seamaster ! I'm duly impressed (and envious )

Which Frederique Constant Classic ? The Slimline? The Art Deco? Either way you've covered all bases, casual / cool with the Omega and elegant/ formal the FCC. Well done!

fredericktoo: Thanks for the links. You're spot on, it's watch porno!

I have a folder under favorites' on the computer : ' Unaffordable Shopping '

*sigh*

I don't dare look up vintage cars . . .

Cheers,

Mario, The Covetous
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 10th August 2007 at 07:56 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Fredericktoo,

The unit is actually a Pioneer SX-980 vintage receiver. Thanx for that website, drool-drool!

Mario, thanx for the comments on my Omega. the FC I cannot remember which one off the top of my head, not the slimline or deco though.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I got me this for last Christmas, always wanted an art deco watch, it's my favorite style. This is a Longines from 1940.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by the_good_life; 10th August 2007 at 09:26 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

not a watch but this is my wallpaper on the new Mac

whatcha got? lets start a new unaffordable toys?

Thumbs up Re: Basenoters love wristwatches!

...whatcha got? lets start a new unaffordable toys?
    Ohhhhhhh love your (not) car fredricktoo!! What is it??

Why don't you start a new thread? I think that is a great title for a new OFF TOPIC thread: "Your best UNATTAINABLE toy!!".
    I know I've got some that I would be posting on it.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

that's a Maserati MC 12 Sudsy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_mc_12

seems to be more Ferrari than Maserati under the skin

I don't use a watch... I use my cell phone to keep track of time. Works just fine.

Besides, with my still-limited funds as of right now, I'd much rather spend my money on good smellies.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Watch of the Year?

This year Patek takes the lead. The Titanium Nautilus has fetched a staggering 525,000 Euros. Not bad for what probably cost Patek less than 5 grand to make. Is it worth that? From a purely horological standpoint, No. Is it a good investment? No doubt, Yes. You can be sure than when ever this thing resurfaces it will fetch over a million. If collectors are paying millions for old world timers and steel chronos from the 40's, you can be certain that this "Piece Unique" will do as much in several years to come.