Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

Does anyone know if this site is safe & thier watches are authentic?

www.jomashop.com

I want to buy a Rolex but.....mmmmmmm.....I have some dilemas:

1-I work with very poor people
    2-I want to be an humble person and to grow in my religious faith.
    3-My father will dont look with good eyes at first time (his opinion is very important for me in all, I respect him very much)

Thats my 3 reasons....Maybe someday I will buy one....When? Maybe tomorrow, maybe never....Who knows...
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    I want to buy a Rolex but.....mmmmmmm.....I have some dilemas:

1-I work with very poor people
    2-I want to be an humble person and to grow in my religious faith.
    3-My father will dont look with good eyes at first time (his opinion is very important for me in all, I respect him very much)

Thats my 3 reasons....Maybe someday I will buy one....When? Maybe tomorrow, maybe never....Who knows...
    Rolexes are SO overrated. there are so many other watches you could get for less than that, which would be much better than a Rolex!

I like Ball watches, but in the reasonable price range the best are by Oris. Beautiful, functional and mechanical watches. Only mechanical watches have inherent value.

Ball are fine, but check out:

www.oris.ch

Joe

P.S. Longines are now making some very excellent mechanical watches: www.longines.com
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 14th October 2008 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Rolexes are SO overrated. there are so many other watches you could get for less than that, which would be much better than a Rolex!
    For example Everso?
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

You can get watches better than Rolex for less? How so? Rolex has the most iconic designs when it comes to watches. There is no other brand as copied or imitated. Not only are the designs great, but functionality wise they are fantastic. They are within COSC specs, usually only gaining or losing a few seconds a day. With the Submariner they have a triple lock crown that protects the watch from dust, water, and humidity. Even when it is unscrewed it is water resistant to 100m. And what else is great with Rolex watches is that unlike many other watch brands, they keep their value. I own several Submariners and day dates so take my word for it. Or if you chose not to, save up and buy one, or rent one, or even go to an authorized dealer and hold one, then maybe you will know the true value or a Rolex watch.

Rolex are overrated. kinda like the Creeds of watches. They are iconic, true, but that is the product of a very smart marketing team. The submariner is a great sports watch but that is it. The average Rolex collector will rave about its steel 9XX, but the steel they are made of is not much stronger or harder than the steel in a Seiko monster. Besides, who worries that much about the nanoscopic hardness of the steel you wear on your wrist!.

Good complications, interesting dials, comfort, innovation and artistic equilibrium (I mean real horology) are better found in another brands... some are even less expensive than Rolex. The only good collection is the Cellini, if you ask me. Seiko, for example, is so underrated that the company will not bring the best of their brand to the USA. They could never compete with the image that the marketing teams of occidental brands have created.

COSC certification is not that hard to meet after you calibrate an individual watch. I calibrated both Seiko 5's (60 USD each) shown above, and they meet the two most important criteria of COSC*: Average daily rate and Difference between Horizontal and Vertical positions. I have not tested for the other criteria, because I really do not care. Rolex are great if you want to impress two kinds of people: Rolex fans and those who are not into horology.

The other brand I am not too enthusiast about is Panerai... I mean... paying +5000 dollars for a simplistic watch using a 21-jewel movement that cost a couple hundreds of dollars... mmmm no. Not all of them use the same movement but still. I think they make the statement "HEY! I paid a fortune for this, so you better look at it, darn it!"

But that is just me... anything that costs over 100usd is more a matter of subjective taste than real performance improvement.

*If worn regularly.

Edit: After sleeping on it, I realized I am coming out as some of the jerks found in watch forums (though a good number of members are cool). Sorry . It is just that after my failed attempt to become a collector and a horology enthusiast, I had to make too many rationalizations. Watches, even more than perfume, are a matter of personal taste.
    Last edited by irish; 18th January 2009 at 04:18 AM.

Basenotes Plus

The best value in watches is Invicta. I own six of their Objet D'Art series. Unique designs, excellent movements, great prices. They are readily available on the internet and on TV at discounted prices. Check out their Subaqua series.
    http://www.invictawatch.com/
    Last edited by stuigi; 14th October 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    You can get watches better than Rolex for less? How so?
    What criteria are we using? A $30 Timex will fit on my wrist and tell me when it's time to go to work. So what makes any of these other brands desirable?

With fragrance, we can discuss the presence or absence of complexity, development, sillage, projection, and so on. Is there any reason to prefer one $5,000 watch over another other than looks?

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    What criteria are we using? A $30 Timex will fit on my wrist and tell me when it's time to go to work. So what makes any of these other brands desirable?

With fragrance, we can discuss the presence or absence of complexity, development, sillage, projection, and so on. Is there any reason to prefer one $5,000 watch over another other than looks?
    There are a lot of reasons and I can go on all day, but let me explain one or two. One reason, which I stated earlier, was the Triplock crown Rolex uses. Unlike most watch crowns, this prevents water, dust, humidity, which will wreak havoc on the movement, from getting in, when the crown is unscrewed. Many watches do not have this prevention system in place. Another is the parachrom bleu which is found in the new deep sea dweller, which prevents magnetic fields and shocks from damaging the precious movement.

You bring up an excellent point though, most people do not desire these things because most people could honestly care less about watches. To most people a watch is a watch, whether it is a 15 dollar timex, or a 150,000 dollar Patek Philippe. But to watch enthusiast, like fragrance enthusiast, the difference in is outstanding. The best way I can describe it as far as fragrances is that a Timex is like Axe body spray. the Timex just tells you the time, and the Axe makes you smell good. But true fragrance enthusiasts, in my opinion, appreciate the axe body spray, but appreciate a quality fragrance, such as Guerlain, or Creed, or Bond, just some examples much more than the axe.

I was just trying to say that in my opinion, as someone who enjoys fine things, such as fine fragrances, watches, cars, and cigars, I do not believe that Rolex watches are overrated.
    Last edited by Maz24; 15th October 2008 at 12:50 AM.

My latest.

Some others I own.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Rolex are overrated. kinda like the Creeds of watches. They are iconic, true, but that is the product of a very smart marketing team. The submariner is a great sports watch but that is it. The average Rolex collector will rave about its steel 9XX, but the steel they are made of is not much stronger or harder than the steel in a Seiko monster. Besides, who worries that much about the nanoscopic hardness of the steel you wear on your wrist!.

Good complications, interesting dials, comfort, innovation and artistic equilibrium (I mean real horology) are better found on another brands... some are even less expensive than Rolex. The only good collection is the Cellini, if you ask me. Seiko, for example, is so underrated that the company will not bring the best of their brand to the USA. It could never compete with the image the marketing teams of occidental brands have created.

COSC certification is not that hard to meet after you calibrate an individual watch. I calibrated both Seiko 5's (60 USD each) shown above, and they meet the two most important criteria of COSC*: Average daily rate and Difference between Horizontal and Vertical positions. I have not tested for the other criteria, because I really do not care. Rolex are great if you want to impress people who are not into horology and Rolex fans.

The other brand I am not too enthusiast about is Panerai... I mean... paying +5000 dollars for a simplistic watch using a 21-jewel movement that cost a couple hundreds of dollars... mmmm no. Not all of them use the same movement but still. I think they make the statement "HEY! I paid a fortune for this, so you better look at it darn it"

But that is just me... anything that costs over 100usd is more a matter of subjective taste than real performance improvement.

*If worn regularly.

Edit: After sleeping on it, I realized I am coming out as some of the jerks found in watch forums (though the great majority of members are cool). Sorry . It is just that after my failed attempt to collect watches, I had to make too many rationalizations. Watches, even more than perfume, are a matter of personal taste.

Irish....I think like you Rolex are overrated.....But when you buy a Rolex you dont buy a watch, you buy an status. With Seiko you dont buy the status and level.....Seiko is great.....but is like all watches....

Is the same or cars, a Mercedes S500 is a great car, but an Accord is great also....With the Mercedes you buy level....

In my case, I don t need a watch for to have level and class.

William Saroyan.

To most people a watch is a watch, whether it is a 15 dollar timex, or a 150,000 dollar Patek Philippe. But to watch enthusiast, like fragrance enthusiast, the difference in is outstanding.
    Totally agree with you !!!

Whenever a topic about watches comes up for discussion I never tell anyone that I am wearing a Rolex just to avoid comments like "oh my $10 watch gives me the same time etc etc.." . People who are in to watches always notice my watch .

It was always my dream to own a Rolex and it took me about 5 yrs to put enough money on the side to own one - I wear it 24 hrs a day even in shower

I bought it for my own pleasure and enjoyment and not to show off or to have level or class
    Last edited by achanna; 15th October 2008 at 01:59 AM.
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

My very wealthy jewish boyfriend has (2) two cartier pashas and a santos and I'm like wow!!! Why would you pay all that moneuy for a watch?I have a Fossil watch that is so classic looking and it does the job! I guess if you can afford to spend money on a luxury time piece you should but I just feel they all do the same things ya know.

Blog Entries

to those of you who think that Rolex adds "status"...personally i would NEVER wear a Rolex, as i find there to be a tacky, cheesy image associated with a Rolex watch....

no one interesting, creative, or with personality really ever wears a Rolex. The people who wear Rolex are the same people who buy cars that cost $100k even though they don't give a crap about how it drives....the same people who are constantly worried about how good of a brand whore they are...

i personally would take ANY Tag Heuer watch over ANY Rolex.....honestly. I find them better looking, more interesting, far more credible, and less pompous and showy.

i'm sure there are PLENTY of other brands that are cheaper and far more interesting...and better than a Rolex. Tag is my pick...not cheap, but definitely worth it, IMO.

even still...this is just my opinion...

Current:

on bracelet at the moment, though.
    Grail:

Quote Originally Posted by achanna View Post
    I bought it for my own pleasure and enjoyment and not to show off or to have level or class
    What I am trying to find out is what is the source of that pleasure and enjoyment?

There are a lot of reasons and I can go on all day, but let me explain one or two. One reason, which I stated earlier, was the Triplock crown Rolex uses. Unlike most watch crowns, this prevents water, dust, humidity, which will wreak havoc on the movement, from getting in, when the crown is unscrewed. Many watches do not have this prevention system in place. Another is the parachrom bleu which is found in the new deep sea dweller, which prevents magnetic fields and shocks from damaging the precious movement.

I was just trying to say that in my opinion, as someone who enjoys fine things, such as fine fragrances, watches, cars, and cigars, I do not believe that Rolex watches are overrated.
    I hope that you were not offended by my curmudgeonliness; it was not directed at your post specifically, but at the topic as a whole. I do appreciate your helping me understand this other passion of yours.

There is one thing about fragrance that makes it different from other things such as watches. With fragrance, quality of composition is generally divorced from price. There are some good expensive fragrances, of course, but there are also some classics that are quite cheap. There are also some expensive fragrances that are just awful. Regardless of price, however, we can agree what characteristics a good fragrance ought to have: complexity, development, originality, sillage, projection, that sort of thing.

To analogize from fragrance to watches to something else, one of my other passions has been collecting guns. I suppose someone could look at a $5,000 custom-made .45 and say, "My $200 whatchamacallit does the same job." Well, yes and no. Yes in that it may throw a small round metal object very fast, but no in that it will not be as accurate or as reliable. For obvious reasons, accuracy and reliability are important features in a tool intended for self-defense, and it is reasonable to pay more money if that is necessary to get more accuracy and reliability.

I am not saying that there is no good reason to own an expensive watch. What I am asking is what criteria makes an expensive watch worth the money. Accuracy is one criterion mentioned, although it appears that there is a sweet spot above which more money does not net more accuracy. Durability is another one mentioned, although if I own a watch tough enough for a Navy SEAL, it just emphasizes that, by comparison, I am not as tough as a Navy SEAL. Kind of like those stickers on motorcycles that say "Fifteen thousand dollars and fifteen miles does not make you a biker." Other people might have lifestyles that demand that kind of equipment. Of course the one factor that everyone disavows is status. I suppose the purest motive might be aesthetic in the sense of an ordinary thing done with extraordinary care, thoughtfulness, or attention to detail.

to those of you who think that Rolex adds "status"...personally i would NEVER wear a Rolex, as i find there to be a tacky, cheesy image associated with a Rolex watch....

no one interesting, creative, or with personality really ever wears a Rolex. The people who wear Rolex are the same people who buy cars that cost $100k even though they don't give a crap about how it drives....the same people who are constantly worried about how good of a brand whore they are...

i personally would take ANY Tag Heuer watch over ANY Rolex.....honestly. I find them better looking, more interesting, far more credible, and less pompous and showy.

i'm sure there are PLENTY of other brands that are cheaper and far more interesting...and better than a Rolex. Tag is my pick...not cheap, but definitely worth it, IMO.

I would never own a Rolex just because everybody would think it is a knock off regardless if it is was real. The name is spoiled now due to the street knock offs.

Totally agree with you !!!

Whenever a topic about watches comes up for discussion I never tell anyone that I am wearing a Rolex just to avoid comments like "oh my $10 watch gives me the same time etc etc.." . People who are in to watches always notice my watch .

It was always my dream to own a Rolex and it took me about 5 yrs to put enough money on the side to own one - I wear it 24 hrs a day even in shower

Nice, I bet it felt great once you got your dream watch. What kind of Rolex is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I have been trying to avoid jumping into this thread, but wristwatches/horology are another developing 'hobby' of mine.

@ Kahuna, sweet Citizen 8700, I have one as well.

I have been lurking at the WUS forums for awhile, specifically the Seiko/Citizen/Orient and the Omega forums.

I don't want to jump into the Rolex debate, but some of my 'dream' watches are the Omega Seamaster Professional (2254.50 I believe) and the Blue Bond SMP [both recently discontinued in favor of the newer co-axial movement]. And the new Planet Ocean (42mm). And the Moonwatch -- Speedmaster professional.

Nice, I bet it felt great once you got your dream watch. What kind of Rolex is it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Please see post #20
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Please see post #20
    Sweet, gotta love the coca cola GMT!

I have 5 Fossil watches. I like Fossil because they are affordable, good looking and they work.

i was thinking of getting a russian watch..POLJOT...but they always break...maybe i will get the new TISSOT watches that are coming out....my new issue of WATCHTIME...just got here...awesome!!!

The Tissot I posted earlier just arrived yesternight!

Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

no one interesting, creative, or with personality really ever wears a Rolex.
    same can be said about cars - no one interesting, creative, or with personality really ever believe in the credibility of automobiles as one of the character defining possessions, or worst, call them TRULY works of art - and who ever believe is full of S**t
    Last edited by achanna; 20th October 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Wardrobe

I hate the Rolex style. I love the Patek Philippe style. Pateks are beautiful. But I don't have enough money to buy them, so I bought a Tissot that is very similar:

I also have my great-grandfather's Patek Philippe pocket watch. It is made of pure gold and it is gorgeous. But I don't have enough courage to wear it. I prefer to leave in in a dome, at home.

Blog Entries

same can be said about cars - no one interesting, creative, or with personality really ever believe in the credibility of automobiles as one of the character defining possessions, or worst, call them TRULY works of art - and who ever believe is full of S**t
    only someone who knows NOTHING about automobiles would say something such as that

Blog Entries

ordered and recieved the Tag i ordered my wife for our 2nd anniversary:

it looks great in person! i hope she digs it!

Tag Heuer Ladies Aquaracer (new, slightly larger version)
    Last edited by everso; 21st October 2008 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    The Tissot I posted earlier just arrived yesternight!

Pretty sexy lookin watch there.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I hate the Rolex style. I love the Patek Philippe style. Pateks are beautiful. But I don't have enough money to buy them, so I bought a Tissot that is very similar:

I also have my great-grandfather's Patek Philippe pocket watch. It is made of pure gold and it is gorgeous. But I don't have enough courage to wear it. I prefer to leave in in a dome, at home.
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." L. Da Vinci

The Tissot Desire is perhaps The Best value out there. Stainless steel, end of battery indicator, sapphire crystal, beautiful, efficient, ultra thin and comfortable.

Simplicity: therein lies elegance.
    Last edited by irish; 21st October 2008 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks, Irish! I agree.

Lucius

Hey Mostapha, I wore that Tissot yesterday, except mine has the brown strap! It's also called the "Silver Surfer" model. My wife bought it for me for Christmas last year. It's a great business watch.

On the Rolexes, I'll have to disagree with the most of you. I'd love to have a Sub! They're bad to the bone.

More in my league would be a Rolex Air King with the blue face.

My Breitling Steelfish does indeed have the blue face.

Chuck, I wore mine tonight for the first time when I was out shopping. I swear the SA's would drop eye contact for a second to check it out.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Here are some i have..

Panerai (177, 210, 113)

Last edited by CX827; 7th May 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I'm old-fashioned. I wear my grandaddy's pocket watch, my Dad's Universal Geneve, and I bought myself an Art Deco Longines from 1942 when I inherited a small sum from my grandma.
    I really like the Art Deco Longines that you own It’s beautiful and very stylish. I hope i could find a vintage pocket watch someday with some history behind it.

I know I'm kind of bumping this thread, but I figured it'd be better than making a new one.

So, anyway, I'm about to buy me one of these two watches, probably the black one as I'm thinking the silver coloured one might look a bit too feminine. What do you think?

black is beautiful mate....go for it....

Quote Originally Posted by Darhuuk View Post
    I know I'm kind of bumping this thread, but I figured it'd be better than making a new one.

So, anyway, I'm about to buy me one of these two watches, probably the black one as I'm thinking the silver coloured one might look a bit too feminine. What do you think?

Depends on your goal. For casual/dating use, the black. For business/work use, the silver. My two cents. For both, the silver.

I am with you, man

I find it odd that I own exactly one watch and I never wear it. Other than looks I have no need for a watch. I pride myself as a human timepiece. I can tell you what time it is within 10 minutes of the exact time without a clock.

I tried wearing a watch the other month and it was so cumbersome.

Regardless of my personal needs, some of these are really nice looking. But I wear long sleeves most of the time and the watch gets covered anyways.

I got one of these as a gift and it took me awhile to get acclimated to such a giant watch. I felt like I should be standing at a podium giving a speech about "excellence" or something. I don't like the leather band with it although I eventually got used to it after awhile. When the brown band finally broke I replaced it with stainless steel and it looks much much much better . . . it is certainly not the easiest watch in the world to read, especially when it gets dark. The glow of the numbers is not that bright and doesn't contrast very much with the white of the background

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...60428474dyGuIr

I'm super proud of the fact that someone cared enough to give me this monster, especially that it was the someone who gave it to me who cared that much. I feel like a million when I have this thing on!

nice watch!
    Last edited by laitducorps; 7th February 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Hi there. Just recently discovered this thread and I read it with delighted interest. I used to work for a renowned jeweler.

About Rolex, sure there are negatives for instance they sell approximately 900.000 watches each year, so much for exclusivity, right? However the quality of their watches is outstanding. They are one of the very few brands who still make their watches from scratch. Other brands modify existing calibers, like ETA for example. Furthermore, you can't say 'watch history' without saying Rolex.

My collection:
    - Tissot - Le locle

- Tissot PRS 516 automatic chrono

- Rolex Sub date

I at one time owned 20 watches. Yes, it is a sickness just like my fragrance obsession - my collection ranges from Timex(low end), TAG (mid range), to Rolex (high range).

i just bought me a hamilton chrono frogman.....

The watch I wear is the watch I got for my 18th birthday.. the Armani AR4200

In real, its even better.
    unico grande amore.

I tend to wear gents watches because so many womens watches are totally impractical to read. I've got a couple that I use for work, one round and one 'tank ', but neither are particularly special, just pleasing to me. The watch I wear when I'm just me is a Titan Edge 18k Nebula like this (but without the diamonds ) Very thin and has a very long battery life.

the watch I almost bought recently was similar to the Skagen watches that Irish has (I love the very minimal Skagen ones )

I go with two...

Business: Tissot Ballade

Casual: Stars & Stripes edition Citizen NaviSail
    (For sailboat racing, this is the best countdown timer I've ever found, and real easy to switch time zones when traveling, which I used to do weekly.)
    Last edited by boston; 29th April 2009 at 04:23 AM.

I got a Skagen watch (Danish design) from my bank as a gift, and I'm impressed. Very good looking, chic watches, moderately priced.

www.skagen.com

They also make great looking, well-made sunglasses.

My favorite watches are made by IWC and Patek Phillipe, both based in Geneva. You won't find a better watch for the money than IWC, in my opinion.

IWC "Portugese"

Patek Phillipe Caletrava

http://www.minutemachines.com/watche...Patek5096.html

I'm a Cartier fan, I have a Pasha Seatimer with the black rubber bracelet. Love it! I also have a Nomos Orion, but hardly ever wear it.

i just bought me a Panerai base 112...i love it...!!

I loooooooooooooove the looks of that IWC. Alas, no watch cash!

I don't really think too much about watches. I have purchased two Rolexes at different points in my life as a form of reward for reaching a goal. My first, a stainless oyster perpetual datejust w/ champagne dial, is now 18 years old. I have hit it with a 90 pound jackhammer, hit it with a regular hammer too many times to count, climbed over 12,000 foot elevations, dove below 130 ft. in the ocean. I have plunged my hand into wet concrete to the forearm, and rinsed it off with a hose (then picked out the dryed remnants later). I've had heavy items dropped on it many times (all while wearing it). I've kept it maintained, replaced the magnifying lens once, added and removed links, but have never had one problem with it. I am fairly certain that it has saved my wrist from being injured several times, and it looks exactly the same as it did the day I bought it. I can't say anything bad about other watches, but after a couple of decades of Rolex ownership, I can't say anything bad about Rolex either. It's not just marketing, they make a fantastic product.
    My dream watch however, is the Genghis Khan Haute Joaillerie by Ulysse Nardin.

http://www.ulysse-nardin.com/watch.j..._100002_10002C

I've got watch cash! Decisions...I'm down to either a blue faced Breitling Colt II or an Omega Seamaster James Bond in black, not the blue.

I sold a couple of my Tag Heuers and some other stuff (cologne, 'natch) to raise the cash.

duplicate post so i deleted this one
    Last edited by finsfan; 17th June 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Everso, I had a Monza and sold it to get a JLC watch.

and I bought my wife a midsize rolex and it looks great on her

I love the guilloche work on the Blancpains and then there is the hobnailing on Patek Calatrava that is simple yet grabs my eye every time. The Chronoswiss has some great guilloche work. Yes, watches get expensive and I have not the income to indulge to much in that. Id love a PAM for casual.

Rolex has gotten to be seen as more marketing than watch. Yet until recently, they were one of the few houses that did their own bracelets and movements all in house, though I think I read that they did borrow one ETA at one time. JLC did and does, and supplied movements at one time to Patek. One of the few to continuously do that.

Like an earlier post, my Rolex can take a beating. It has one of the best shock systems in the watch. Rolex pioneered the tool watch basically, but other companies have come up with better complications if you will. Yes, Rolex makes over a million watches a year and some of them are on severe backorder (try to get a new Rolex stainless Daytona!!!!). They are doing something right to sell that many.

My JLC is a Master Control, and is my dress watch. I wish it had quilloche on it. I am not going to buy a Blancpain just for the guilloche and still have the JLC, I dont have $6000 or more handy. I would trade up for a Patek Calatrava but that would mean losing the JLC and adding about $10,000.00 to it.

My JLC Mastercontrol is like one of 2500 in the world or so. JLC maybe makes 400 watches of each line a year, or so I read. The serial number on mine is 1505 and the watch had been out for 2 or 3 years before I got it.

I figure that some watches are like the niche colognes, others are like designers. You can argue if Raymond Weil or Maurice Lacroix are niche or designer, much like is Guerlain or Chanel that way (since Chanel also sells makeup and clothes and other stuff). IWC makes a fine watch, a Portofino is on my list. A. Lange also is great and so is Vacheron Constantin. I like the PAM's that have the protective bubble in metal around the crown, not a common feature.

A guy named Roland Murphy can make you a watch. Nomos is starting to become a player since they are going all inhouse for movements and watch bracelets and their price point is very low for that sort of work.

I was never into watches until I thought of them more as an accessory. I got a Tokyo Flash one!

I love the comments I get on it. They usually consist of "what is that?" or "are you from the future?" haha! I just can't get into the conventional ones they're too simple for me. It's weird to read but I once I thought of them, like I said, as more of an accessory, I didn't mind.
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 17th June 2009 at 10:44 PM.