Code of Conduct
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1028
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Congrats, what a beautiful new Yacht Master! That sunburst silver/grey (or maybe it's anthracite) dial is gorgeous, and the contrasting tones of the applied markers and bezel give it some wonderful character. Add that smallest splash of color with the seconds hands and Yacht Master print, as well as what looks like perfect sizing for your wrist, and you have a truly wonderful timepiece there!
    Thank you. The dial color is called dark rhodium.

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    ^^Nice Nomos

- - - Updated - - -

picked up a new one the other day...

Attachment 98809
    Nice. And congrats on getting a sporty Rolex during this supposed Rolex “shortage”. I was told I was darn lucky I bought my Submariner two years ago when I did, right before the Rolex crunch.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

Ah, dark rhodium certainly sounds nicer, haha. Thanks for the reply!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Nice. And congrats on getting a sporty Rolex during this supposed Rolex “shortage”. I was told I was darn lucky I bought my Submariner two years ago when I did, right before the Rolex crunch.
    Thanks Chuck. Submariner availability (along with most of the professional models) is certainly tight right now.

Basenotes Plus

Some wonderful watches in this thread.
    Really like the classic pieces (although I prefer larger modern watches for myself!).

A few of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    Really like the classic pieces (although I prefer larger modern watches for myself!).

A few of mine.

Very nice watches! Looks like you've worn the heck out of that middle AP! Good for you!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post

A few of mine.

Very nice!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks! No that is the forged carbon Grand Prix, actually haven't worn in that much, my watches rotate a lot.
    It has a very soft, crappy bezel. Kind of adds to it's character. Although some people have switched for the ceramic bezel which gives it a refresh.

Taking my vintage Accutron for a spin.

IMG_20190428_074242_273.jpg
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap List

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Didn’t the name Accutron refer to a special kind of movement? How does it differ from a standard mechanical movement?
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Didn’t the name Accutron refer to a special kind of movement? How does it differ from a standard mechanical movement?
    Accutron is a brand, owned by Bulova, which introduced the tuning fork movement. The tuning fork is an early electric movement that uses the vibrations of a tuning fork to regulate the movement. The watch has an unusual high-pitched hum as a result, and an uncannily fluid second hand sweep (no visible ticking or stuttering at all). This movement was used for on-board instrumentation for the early American space ventures due to its reliability and accuracy, as well as due to concerns that mechanical timekeeping might go awry in outer space.

Many working examples are readily available, but they're difficult movements to service. One particularly unusual component of the movement was made by a manufacturer that went out of business and nobody knows how to replicate the manufacturing process they used, so if that component is damaged, the movement is essentially just scrap.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Thank you, Brooks O., for the explanation. Regarding the unreplaceable component, my tendency would be to try over time to find other Accutron watches for possible future parts.

Thank you, Brooks O., for the explanation. Regarding the unreplaceable component, my tendency would be to try over time to find other Accutron watches for possible future parts.
    If I had any serious personal attachment to the watch, I would, but I picked it up on eBay for $30 with the understanding it might not last. I've already gotten years out of it, so I've gotten more than my money's worth.

If I had one of the more desirable, iconic Accutron models (the Spaceview and the Astronaut), I'd be sure to invest the money to keep 'em running.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Are we showing off watches or shitty cars? haha :P

Anyway, I've always wondered what the best watch is in the $100 to $200 range? All I've ever had are a few Fossils and my son has a Nixon.
    I want something large, heavy, like a matted silver finish possibly. I don't mind leather straps either.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Are we showing off watches or shitty cars? haha :P

Anyway, I've always wondered what the best watch is in the $100 to $200 range? All I've ever had are a few Fossils and my son has a Nixon.
    I want something large, heavy, like a matted silver finish possibly. I don't mind leather straps either.
    I've often said that there's a great watch at every price point, but the caveat is that there's not always a great watch in every style at every price point.

PM me with an example or two of stuff you like and I'll help you find something.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I've often said that there's a great watch at every price point, but the caveat is that there's not always a great watch in every style at every price point.

PM me with an example or two of stuff you like and I'll help you find something.
    PM sent

Basenotes Junkie

Does anyone intentionally pair their watches with specific fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    I never have.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I never have.
    I don't imagine many have, but I could understand doing so. Like wearing a vintage watch with a very conservative, elegant fragrance. Or wearing a Hublot with something loud and obnoxious. I don't know.

I pair my watches and fragrances with outfits, but I don't link the two together in isolation.

Current Favorites

Interesting question. The watch for me is more likely to be harmonized with jewelry era and metal as I wear vintage watches. Fragrance choice is related to inner expression. They are probably likely to coincide but are not consciously matched.

I look at it as a trifecta.
    If I'm wearing sporty clothing, I wear a sport watch, and thus a sport scent.
    Dress clothes, nice watch, niche scent.
    I pair my cologne with what I'm wearing as do I the same with a watch.

Never.

Have never paired fragrances with watches either, at least not so far and albeit more unintentionally, but also due to being (comparatively) quite spoiled for choice.
    Also having quite inexpensive and easy access to a small but solid and steadily growing variety of scents for more diversified than the current watch lineup owned-as well as able to cover most watch choices.

Today in a thrift store I found this vintage Catena Swiss mechanical watch, so far keeping good time. The band was all torn up and I replaced it. I’m not sure if it’s a woman's watch or a man’s dress watch—what’s your take? Either way is fine with me.

C0F3ABFE-CAC3-481C-8AB1-82EC5E294AEA.jpg

Basenotes Junkie

Today in a thrift store I found this vintage Catena Swiss mechanical watch, so far keeping good time. The band was all torn up and I replaced it. I’m not sure if it’s a woman's watch or a man’s dress watch—what’s your take? Either way is fine with me.

C0F3ABFE-CAC3-481C-8AB1-82EC5E294AEA.jpg
    Nice find. Most vintage men's watches were significantly smaller than modern-day watches. To me, this watch could be unisex. Not sure if it was made for men but, much like fragrances, I think it is okay to wear what you enjoy regardless of the label (in most cases).

Thank you. I agree on wearing what you like. For some reason, just like with clothing, it’s more acceptable for women to adopt men’s watches than the other way around.

Basenotes Junkie

Thank you. I agree on wearing what you like. For some reason, just like with clothing, it’s more acceptable for women to adopt men’s watches than the other way around.
    Yes, exactly.

Just picked up this brand new Baume & Mercier My Classima. It will be an everyday work and church watch. I’ll probably get a navy croc band eventually.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just picked up this brand new Baume & Mercier My Classima. It will be an everyday work and church watch. I’ll probably get a navy croc band eventually.
    Very nice Chuck!

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 LastLast