Code of Conduct
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1090
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

Quote Originally Posted by tcostik View Post
    I'm 90% sure that's a vintage Luch, a watch made in Soviet Russia from the 1950s on.
    I recall seeing a few by from this house in shops when I was in the Soviet Union in 1972
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

State of the Collection, July 2019:

WatchCollectionJuly2019.jpg

From left to right:

Vostok Komandirskie (Manual - $40 US direct - 30m water resistant, acrylic crystal, screw-down crown)
    Seiko Recraft SNKP27 (Automatic - $130 US from Amazon - 50m water resistant, Seiko Hardlex crystal)
    Seiko 5 Frankenwatch (Automatic - $35 US from eBay)
    Nautica Key Biscayne Diver (Quartz - $36 US from Timex outlet store, 100m water resistant, mineral crystal, screw-down crown)
    Timex Weekender (Quartz - $25 US from Timex outlet store, 30m water resistant, mineral crystal, Indiglo)
    Timex Southview (Quartz - $25 US from Timex outlet store, 30m water resistant, mineral crystal)
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post

From left to right:

Vostok Komandirskie (Manual - $40 US direct - 30m water resistant, acrylic crystal, screw-down crown)
    Seiko Recraft SNKP27 (Automatic - $130 US from Amazon - 50m water resistant, Seiko Hardlex crystal)
    Nautica Key Biscayne Diver (Quartz - $36 US from Timex outlet store, 100m water resistant, mineral crystal, screw-down crown)
    Timex Weekender (Quartz - $25 US from Timex outlet store, 30m water resistant, mineral crystal, Indiglo)
    Timex Southview (Quartz - $25 US from Timex outlet store, 30m water resistant, mineral crystal)
    Very Nice!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Found this sweet Tissot on clearance at the beach for $189. Another good work/church option, but THIS band WILL be replaced! I ordered a black croc to replace it.
    Like the classic styling, Chuck and a good price! Though I do think you made a good call going with a black croc, would fit it very well! I picked up my first Tissot a few month ago (which is also my first chronomoter), the Luxury Automatic pictured below. I only really started collecting watches over the past 2 years, so this is currently my go-to dress watch.

- - - Updated - - -

From left to right:

I really enjoy seeing collections like this, some unique pieces with cool style and eclectic range. Plus all incredibly affordable. Well done and thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
    I have a humble collection of mostly affordable mechanical watches and a few luxury. Since this image was taken I've adopted a few more.

Truly a beautiful collection and display (and not nearly as "humble" of a collection as mine lol)! I've had my eye on either an Omega Seamaster or Speedmaster and a Zenith El Primero for some time, so I'm especially enjoying those! Not sure if I'll ever own one but they sure look great! :-) Thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Today, I'm wearing the poor man's Rolex Explorer:

Attachment 105963

No major watchmaker offers more bang for the buck than Seiko.

I'll actually be using it as a project watch. I'll be modifying it with a slightly doomed sapphire crystal with a purple anti-reflective coating.
    That's a really nice looking one from the 5 series, congrats!! Completely agree with you, Seiko's can offer a lot of value and the Seiko 5 line in particular. I have a Seiko 5 automatic field watch that I put a nice vintage brown leather strap on and it's one of my favorite watches to wear. I also have a Seiko Sportura that easily looks 4 times more expensive than it was and has by far garnered the most compliments of any of my watches.

From left to right:

Nice collection! My favorite is the Seiko Recraft. Are you a big fan of NATO straps?

I've always had an appreciation for watches, but over the past year I've developed a much deeper interest in learning about horology, past/current design trends and exploring the many macro and micro-brands currently available. I'm still dipping my toes in the water, so to speak, with watch collecting, so my approach early on has been to explore value and diversity while adding pieces I enjoy for both look and function. In addition to the Tissot Luxury Automatic Powermatic 80 Chronomoter and Seiko 5 field watch I added within the past year, here are a few more I've added to get me started.

Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic - which I currently have on a Worn & Wound Model 2 Premium 'Stone' strap, but switch between the original (pictured) and a black carbon embossed. Right now this is my favorite watch since it's so versatile (especially with different strap options), has a balance of classic and modern styling, looks VERY nice in person, and can be dressed up or down.

Orient Ray II - Blue Dial - which I currently have on a camel suede strap

Dan Henry 1970 40 mm Automatic - kept it on the stock strap as I really like it and thinks it fits the watch perfectly

Dan Henry 1962 Panda dial - may look into a nice leather racing strap for it, but it also comes with a standard black leather strap

Dan Henry packs in a lot of bang for the buck. I've handled a bunch at watch collector meetups and always come away impressed with the attention to detail.
    Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Nice collection! My favorite is the Seiko Recraft. Are you a big fan of NATO straps?
    I am. They're so comfortable on me, and since I am usually dressed on the casual side, they work very well style-wise. I also have (not pictured) a brown leather NATO that I can use on either of the Timex's to dress them up a little.

Unfortunately this particular picture doesn't even do justice to the Recraft. It's the green dial one, and it's a lush, vibrant green with a sunburst effect. It's really stunning in person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    I really enjoy seeing collections like this, some unique pieces with cool style and eclectic range. Plus all incredibly affordable. Well done and thanks for sharing!
    Thanks! I tend to be on the "frugal" side both with watches and fragrances. With a little work and research, one can have a good-looking and well-functioning collection without spending thousands. (I'm not knocking anyone that spends more - to each their own!)
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

I am. They're so comfortable on me, and since I am usually dressed on the casual side, they work very well style-wise. I also have (not pictured) a brown leather NATO that I can use on either of the Timex's to dress them up a little.

Unfortunately this particular picture doesn't even do justice to the Recraft. It's the green dial one, and it's a lush, vibrant green with a sunburst effect. It's really stunning in person.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Dan Henry packs in a lot of bang for the buck. I've handled a bunch at watch collector meetups and always come away impressed with the attention to detail.
    I think they deliver quite a good value. I took a chance on their automatic diver and was very impressed with the quality, especially relative to the cost. Just recently picked up the 1962 Panda dial and again am very happy with what it delivers.