Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1144

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Very sharp!
    Thanks Hednic!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Excellent choice!
    Thank you, it's one of my best buys so far I think! :-)

Congratulations for the classic gentlemanly watch choices, with the stylish design matching the technically accomplished mechanisms Swanger, Fit&Frag'd and City74, easily suited for both everyday, workplace/office wear as much as more special occasions
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Thanks Hednic!

- - - Updated - - -

My newest piece, a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic - 38 mm

I've had this watch on my wishlist for quite a while now and am VERY happy with it so far. If I could only have one watch, and cost wasn't an issue, I'd more than likely choose the Rolex Explorer 214270 Mark II. This Hamilton Khaki wouldn't come in far behind at 1/10th the cost. IMO it's one of the best watches in this style you can buy at this price point.
    I agree, very versatile beater. Put it on a brown field strap with white stitching or a nato strap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    If you get a chance to, it’s worth trying. To me it’s the brand with the biggest “bang for your buck” on the market

- - - Updated - - -

A few more favs

Attachment 109398
    Attachment 109399
    Attachment 109400
    Attachment 109401
    Attachment 109402
    Attachment 109403
    Nice collection. Between the squigly, orris and sinn, which is ur fav and why?

1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    Nice collection. Between the squigly, orris and sinn, which is ur fav and why?

The Squale watches are nice, with good build and neat color combos. I enjoy them. The Oris is better made then the Squale but also double the price, plus some. However, it’s a vastly superior watch IMO. The Sinn, well, it’s just special. It’s my fav of those mentioned by a good amount

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    State of the Collection, July 2019:

Attachment 105988

From left to right:

Vostok Komandirskie (Manual - $40 US direct - 30m water resistant, acrylic crystal, screw-down crown)
    Seiko Recraft SNKP27 (Automatic - $130 US from Amazon - 50m water resistant, Seiko Hardlex crystal)
    Seiko 5 Frankenwatch (Automatic - $35 US from eBay)
    Nautica Key Biscayne Diver (Quartz - $36 US from Timex outlet store, 100m water resistant, mineral crystal, screw-down crown)
    Timex Weekender (Quartz - $25 US from Timex outlet store, 30m water resistant, mineral crystal, Indiglo)
    Timex Southview (Quartz - $25 US from Timex outlet store, 30m water resistant, mineral crystal)
    Love the presentation, and that Nautica watch!
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 14th October 2019 at 06:41 PM.

A. Lange & Söhne Nautilus and Royal Oak killer incoming!

My favorite watch brand releasing a steel sports? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

I'm interested to see what this Lange watch turns out to be. I don't have high expectations. Lange makes very conservative, albeit lovely, watches, which is why they've struggled to gain more market share. Formal styles just aren't big sellers these days (just look at Rolex's failed Cellini relaunch). It's hard to imagine Lange coming up with something that could seriously compete against the Royal Oak or Nautilus.

I hope they really swing for the fences. Otherwise they'll end up looking like AP did after the dismal Code 11.59 launched.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    [center]A. Lange & Söhne Nautilus and Royal Oak killer incoming!

My favorite watch brand releasing a steel sports? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
    Interesting, thanks for posting this. Looking forward to see what they came up with. Hope it has a SS bracelet. I don’t care for the aesthetics of the Nautilus or Royal Oaks and the VC Overseas has so many Maltese cross references on on watch that I’m not a fan of that either.

I’ve been a Rolex fan for almost 40 years, but I don’t care for any of the newer colored ceramic bezels on the sports models. I work in high tech ceramics, so I appreciate the technical aspect, but it just makes them look cheap/costume to me. Luckily, I love my SS and platinum Yacht-Master 40.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    Interesting, thanks for posting this. Looking forward to see what they came up with. Hope it has a SS bracelet. I don’t care for the aesthetics of the Nautilus or Royal Oaks and the VC Overseas has so many Maltese cross references on on watch that I’m not a fan of that either.

I’ve been a Rolex fan for almost 40 years, but I don’t care for any of the newer colored ceramic bezels on the sports models. I work in high tech ceramics, so I appreciate the technical aspect, but it just makes them look cheap/costume to me.
    Agreed on all counts.

If I had to pick something like the Nautilus/RO, I'd probably go with one of the more interesting Bvlgari Octo Finissimo variants.

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm interested to see what this Lange watch turns out to be. I don't have high expectations. Lange makes very conservative, albeit lovely, Formal styles just aren't big sellers these days
    The reason why i disagree with this statement is exactly why I have hope

It's easy to get lost in the "buttoned down" branding of A&S but the actual dials themselves are quite progressive and quirky. Yet they're done so with such a masterful blend of quality and good taste that they seem conservative. But look again at the dials compared to usual "dress watches"

If there's a brand that I think that can release a home run steel sports design it's A&S. If there's anywhere that they'd shoot themself in the foot, it would be on pricing. Anything over 30k and i think they'll have lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    Interesting, thanks for posting this. Looking forward to see what they came up with. Hope it has a SS bracelet..
    I want a steel bracelet as well but hoping they didn't do the gerald genta integrated bracelet design. I don't see them doing that though. They're proudly "not swiss", so i'm thinking they come with something that is all their own.

Agreed on all counts.

If I had to pick something like the Nautilus/RO, I'd probably go with one of the more interesting Bvlgari Octo Finissimo variants.
    the lightness of that one would annoy me too much i think, but i would still love to get one on wrist one day.
    Don't stank.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    A few more favs

Attachment 109400

I like the look of this Oris.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The reason why i disagree with this statement is exactly why I have hope

It's easy to get lost in the "buttoned down" branding of A&S but the actual dials themselves are quite progressive and quirky. Yet they're done so with such a masterful blend of quality and good taste that they seem conservative. But look again at the dials compared to usual "dress watches"

They're cool! Though I could easily highlight some of the more interesting dress offerings from Blancpain or Breguet that similarly blend the traditional/formal with playful design choices. Those brands have had the same problem: in 2019, formality just doesn't sell all that well. (I say that with some sadness; formal aesthetics are very much my thing.)

Maybe Lange can deliver something really cool in the category, but it's gonna be a tough battle. You have designer houses like Bvlgari and Hermès going all-out with amazing designd and still struggling to find a foothold. Lange is a prestigious house, but is similarly an outsider, and they need to find that sweet-spot where it's both strikingly original and widely appealing.

For the record, I prefer Lange to all three of the alleged "trinity" (Patek, AP, VC) and want them to get their day in the sun. But having your day in the sun in 2019 means being on the wrists of celebrities and sports figures and I dunno if Lange has what it takes to make something that can seriously make inroads into the market as it stands (which is already pretty competitive).

I'm hoping for something fun, like Lange's Lumen releases. I'm just not expecting a Nautilus-killer.

Holiday Favorites

They're cool! Though I could easily highlight some of the more interesting dress offerings from Blancpain or Breguet that similarly blend the traditional/formal with playful design choices. Those brands have had the same problem: in 2019, formality just doesn't sell all that well. (I say that with some sadness; formal aesthetics are very much my thing.)

Maybe Lange can deliver something really cool in the category, but it's gonna be a tough battle. You have designer houses like Bvlgari and Hermès going all-out with amazing designd and still struggling to find a foothold. Lange is a prestigious house, but is similarly an outsider, and they need to find that sweet-spot where it's both strikingly original and widely appealing.

For the record, I prefer Lange to all three of the alleged "trinity" (Patek, AP, VC) and want them to get their day in the sun. But having your day in the sun in 2019 means being on the wrists of celebrities and sports figures and I dunno if Lange has what it takes to make something that can seriously make inroads into the market as it stands (which is already pretty competitive).

I'm hoping for something fun, like Lange's Lumen releases. I'm just not expecting a Nautilus-killer.
    Great thoughts, thanks for sharing this view point. I don't think you were insinuating you need a brand to be popular to enjoy it, but just wanting to highlight that i'm enjoying some watches not being popular (for whatever the reason). I've never been a rolex guy, largely due to the clientele that wears them, but also just seeing other watches i'd rather wear for the money. That said, the sky-dweller is getting minimal love and I absolutely love that watch. That annual calendar function and dual center time zone is fo F***ing cool. Alas, any variation that isn't a blue dial is "not popular".

Now that i mention it, that's where i'm setting my bar for the new A&S sports watch. "Make it at least as cool as the sky dweller". Bulgari and Hermes are struggling the way they are for the same reason Montblanc is struggling. The "fashion house" branding precedes them, and most watchguys (myself included) are hesitant to spend $XX,XXX money on a watch that a commoner would perceive as essentially being a Macy's Michael Kors pickup. On the flipside, you'd be hard pressed to find a Patek or Vacheron guy that wouldn't equally enjoy wearing a Saxonia. Anywho, to my original point, "make it at least as cool as a sky dweller". 48 hours and counting
    Don't stank.

Great thoughts, thanks for sharing this view point. I don't think you were insinuating you need a brand to be popular to enjoy it, but just wanting to highlight that i'm enjoying some watches not being popular (for whatever the reason).
    Oh, I'm not a "popular" watch guy, either. I like watches other people think of as oddities. I'm just thinking of what Lange needs to do here to raise their brand profile.

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Alas, any variation that isn't a blue dial is "not popular".
    Phew, ALS coming through so far with the right color...

ALS.jpg

Well, this ain't an ALS or anything even close, but I've long coveted an automatic moonphase and so grabbed this steeply discounted Edox as a way to mark a small life milestone:

Attachment 111335

It has a surprising 200m WR, so it should make for a good daily wearer.

Holiday Favorites

Well, this ain't an ALS or anything even close, but I've long coveted an automatic moonphase and so grabbed this steeply discounted Edox:
    That is gorgeous. Simple and elegant.

Tank.jpeg
    Today it is an old favorite
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Tank.jpeg
    Very classic!

Tank.jpeg
    Very nice and classic elegance!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks! As I say, an old favorite that I rarely wear. I especially like its boucle déployant.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    That is gorgeous. Simple and elegant.
    Thanks! It's a pretty modest thing given some of the other stuff in this thread, but it presents well.

Holiday Favorites

I especially like its boucle déployant.
    I happen to like those also.

If there's anyway they'd shoot themself in the foot, it would be on pricing. Anything over 30k and i think they'll have lost the plot.

I want a steel bracelet as well but hoping they didn't do the gerald genta integrated bracelet design. I don't see them doing that though. They're proudly "not swiss", so i'm thinking they come with something that is all their own.

Well i'll go ahead and pat myself on the back for the price prediction and bracelet design prediction but that wasn't too difficult. So is it a Royal Oak or Nautilus killer? Not even close. Did it reach my bar of "Make it at least as cool as a Sky-Dweller"? Mmm nope on that too. However, i commend them for not just copying another Gerald Genta integrated bracelet design and doing something entirely their own. By A&S standards i'm a bit indifferent to it, but will keep my mind open to see actual wrist shots.

Realistically speaking, I don't see it depreciating much as it's A&S sole steelsports offering. Maybe looking at 18k - 24k on the preowned market 2 years in the future. I'd rather grab a black skydweller for that kind of coin unfortunately. Let's see how it plays out though

EDIT: I know what's annoying me. It's the perfectly round case. Everything else looks so high quality, elegant, but the case is just this perfect awkward round circle that seems a bit "merp".

Well, this ain't an ALS or anything even close, but I've long coveted an automatic moonphase and so grabbed this steeply discounted Edox as a way to mark a small life milestone:

It has a surprising 200m WR, so it should make for a good daily wearer.
    No shame in that game. I'm partial to moon phases myself. Ironically omega's speedmaster (first watch on the moon and all) moonphase i don't like. My current favorite is probably Glashutte's Panomatic Lunar.

[ATTACH=C
    The way you have that paired is just perfect. Nicely done. Should have included a shoe shot though if your accessories are THAT well put together lol
    Don't stank.

Well i'll go ahead and pat myself on the back for the price prediction and bracelet design prediction but that wasn't too difficult. So is it a Royal Oak or Nautilus killer? Not even close. Did it reach my bar of "Make it at least as cool as a Sky-Dweller"? Mmm nope on that too. However, i commend them for not just copying another Gerald Genta integrated bracelet design and doing something entirely their own. By A&S standards i'm a bit indifferent to it, but will keep my mind open to see actual wrist shots.

Realistically speaking, I don't see it depreciating much as it's A&S sole steelsports offering. Maybe looking at 18k - 24k on the preowned market 2 years in the future. I'd rather grab a black skydweller for that kind of coin unfortunately. Let's see how it plays out though

It looks like it'd be more appealing on leather than on a bracelet. Kinda boring, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm revising my opinion of the new ALS based on the video they have on Instagram right now. Looks pretty nice, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

No shame in that game. I'm partial to moon phases myself. Ironically omega's speedmaster (first watch on the moon and all) moonphase i don't like. My current favorite is probably Glashutte's Panomatic Lunar.
    The Panomatic Lunar is great. My favourite is the Arnold & Son HM Perpetual Moon in rose gold with cream dial.

The Edox, which I got for a steal (prices have been slashed since it's a discontinued model in low demand), ain't handcrafted brilliance, and the bracelet is underwhelming (I'll be putting it on a strap), but it looks great in outdoors lighting conditions:

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Here's a vid showing many more details. My first reaction is I quite like it. It has nice balance. The bracelet and clasp adjustments (similar to other brands that have these features) are useful for someone like me who's wrist size varies quite a bit from season to season.

I'm a big A Lange & Söhne fan but i just can't get excited about this watch. I watched the video bklow posted from the 3 minute to 7 minute mark, and i just became irritated. Of course I appreciate the grand date, the adjustment bracelet, the pebbled center dial finishing, and the balls to put a small second dial on a sports watch but this falls flat for me.

I'm joyed to wear a saxonia for the simple elegance, and blue dial presence. I'm excited to wear a Lange 1 because it's overflowing with quirkiness and originality but manages to be subtle and elegant. Obviously, it'll have better fit and finish but this Odysseus provides little more spark than a $4,000 omega aqua terra.

Don't stank.

Well, if you're buying a Lange sports watch, you're probably looking for something that leans conservative. I agree it doesn't have much flash, but it does a decent job of preserving the ALS aesthetic with some sportier accents. Feels kinda nautical.

Would I get one if I had the dough? Probably not. But I probably wouldn't ever spend more than Omega prices on a steel sports watch. (While we're talking about Omegas, the revamped Railmaster with brushed steel dial is a treat in person, though it doesn't photograph well.) I don't get the point of spending a small fortune on something that's meant to be worn and abused.

Holiday Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Obviously, it'll have better fit and finish but this Odysseus provides little more spark than a $4,000 omega aqua terra.
    Totally agree. I like it, but I wouldn't buy it.

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 LastLast