Code of Conduct
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39
Results 1,141 to 1,163 of 1163
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

I hated the Odysseus at first. Then I started liking it. I bit like War and Peace.

Then I saw this image. Keep in mind, this is the first of an entire line. I would jump on a blue dial chrono on a rubber strap. Seriously.

I still prefer the RO, Nautilus and Overseas over this, but it's a good first attempt and has the Langhe DNA. I guess I'd class it as...watch this space?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh an I'd stab somebody for this watch.
    I would do bad things.

upload pictures

Always be smelling

Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Saw that on broadcast CNN last night. Fascinating.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I decided to give a shot to a Chinese special. It arrived yesterday. The specs are pretty crazy (stainless steel [rose gold colored], 50m water resistant, sapphire crystal, 28800 vph automatic movement, hacking and hand-winding) for the price (less than $60) that they're asking for it. The strap is a bit garbage (VERY stiff leather) but I immediately swapped it out for a black leather NATO I had laying around and that solved that. First pic is the one from their site, the second is the actual watch on-wrist.
    starking.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I like the look of this homage I’m wearing today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picked up this Tudor Black Bay Bronze with grey dial. Considerably more versatile than the discontinued brown version. In house movement, 70hour power reserve, great build quality and some fun lume to boot. I really like it.

Here's a professional photo I found online to do it a little better justice

Anyone looking forward to anything in particular from Baselworld in 2 months?
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Qatar by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Picked up this Tudor Black Bay Bronze with grey dial. Considerably more versatile than the discontinued brown version. In house movement, 70hour power reserve, great build quality and some fun lume to boot. I really like it.

That’s a beauty! I’ve never owned a Tudor, but I’d like to. Congrats

Basenotes Plus

[center]

Congrats! Great looking watch. It's one of my favorite bronze models available, but it's too big for my 7.5" wrist.

I keep forgetting to list my Black Bay 41 for sale on WUS because it's always out of sight just sitting in one of my safes. I see some of the screen names here pop up on WUS from time to time.

Looking forward to see what's new from Baselworld, but nothing specific. My wants are unlikely to be produced. For example, if Rolex took the 214270, put a date w/ cyclops at 3, and put a white dial on it, I might not ever need another watch.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Attachment 111342
    Today it is an old favorite

Very beautiful Cartier, my (albeit rather belated) very enthusiastic congratulations for this outstanding timepiece, with sincerest wishes for you to enjoy this wonderful, iconic watch release

Basenotes Plus

Wonderful. Congrats.

I have mixed feelings about Basel now with so many companies pulling out.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?

I highly recommend the DANIEL WELLINGTON brand. Their bargain-priced watches have classic designs, very simple, very basic, very unpretentious, very discreet and elegant. It is the Patek Phillipe of the masses. Do seek it out.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my favorite from that brand:

wellington.JPG
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Yeah, that's going to be a no from me.

If i'm ever that strapped for cash and must purchase a watch of the dress variety, the Seiko Presage line offers many appealing options. I can't bring myself to purchase Instagram-Influencer watches.
    Don't stank.

Yeah, that's going to be a no from me.

If i'm ever that strapped for cash and must purchase a watch of the dress variety, the Seiko Presage line offers many appealing options. I can't bring myself to purchase Instagram-Influencer watches.
    Given that a watch with almost identical looks and specs to the Daniel Wellington (which sells at $199US) can be had for less than $5US on aliexpress, you're on the right track not buying one. It's an unspecified quartz movement with at best a mineral crystal and only 30m of stated water resistance, which means basically it'll survive a splash but not much more than that. You'd be paying about $195 for the name, considering that the watch itself is only worth about $5.

My hat's off to the DW company for being so good at marketing that they're selling a ton of watches at an obscene (frankly) profit margin, but an educated consumer shouldn't even consider one.

LOL. I agree that it is overpriced, but the movement is not so bad. The watches use a quartz movement made by Miyota, a Japanese Company. I bought it because here in Brazil they are being sold below the regular selling price, which is a miracle since everything here usually costs DOUBLE the regular selling price due to our absurd custom taxes and fees.

From their site:
    History
    The modern Miyota company was established as a watch movement factory for Citizen Watches in 1959 in Miyota, Nagano Prefecture, Japan. In 1980, Miyota began offering movements for sale to other companies.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

I like the simple, classic look of the Daniel Wellington watches. They were popular here in the UK, but I think their popularity has waned and they can be bought for well below retail price now. You could do much worse at a similar cost.

As for Seiko Presage - agreed, but depending on model, they are also several times the price of a DW. Also, all hail my daily driver:

I wish I could afford a Grand Seiko with one of their special dials. That, or a Drive de Cartier... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I like the simple, classic look of the Daniel Wellington watches. They were popular here in the UK, but I think their popularity has waned and they can be bought for well below retail price now. You could do much worse at a similar cost.

As for Seiko Presage - agreed, but depending on model, they are also several times the price of a DW.
    I don't think the DWs are a bad design - if you're looking for a well-designed minimalist piece, they're better than average design-wise. They're just wildly overpriced (IMO) when it comes to the specs. I agree, one could do worse at a similar price, but one could also do much better at a similar price.

I was looking at Nordstrom Rack and saw a few nice watches that are very cheap. Mostly Kenneth Cole.
    Are these going to break down right away or are they good cheap options?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: JB by Jack Black

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I was looking at Nordstrom Rack and saw a few nice watches that are very cheap. Mostly Kenneth Cole.
    Are these going to break down right away or are they good cheap options?
    It's unlikely that they'd break down right away. If they're priced low enough, watches like that can be decent. At full price, they're out-specced by other watches, and not a great value. With anything that has a designer's name on it, remember that part of that price (most of the time a large part of the price) is for the designer name / logo.

There are several Kenneth Cole watches for under $40, so I was both surprised and wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    There are several Kenneth Cole watches for under $40, so I was both surprised and wary.
    At that price, I'd expect they'd have:

-quartz movement (which in and of itself isn't bad)
    -a mineral, acrylic, or plastic crystal (most likely acrylic or plastic, either of which scratches relatively easily but the scratches can also be buffed out easily)
    -little to no water resistance (likely splash resistant at best, I wouldn't trust them to get submerged or even necessarily in the shower)

If you like the visual style of them, and the above concerns aren't a factor for you, I'd say that $40 or under is a fair price for such a watch.

Thank you, swag. I'll try to get to Nordstrom Rack soon and pick one out. Or two.

Wow wow wow wow

Don't stank.

Basenotes Plus

Saw that coming. Lol.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?