Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

The Omega DeVille pictured is real classy IMO.

Nice collection DNT.

for swap/sale:

Thanks hedonist. Nothing compared to your collection though. Love the Panerai.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Yes, nice collection DNT!

Sort of OT but..Just wondering, as the original poster of this thread OILMAN was subsequently banned from Basenotes, why he/she and some others banned are not shown as such anymore as used to be shown near their avatar? Anyone who knows and wants to share please PM me and let me in on it. Chris (DustB) when a moderator always explained 'executive actions' such as why a particular member was banned and I appreciated the info.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/217...t-Oilman-quot-!
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd December 2011 at 11:28 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

I am in LOVE with Nixon's 42-20. I want a couple different ones.

http://www.nixonnow.com/mens-watches/

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Currently Panamera 4S. The one u yachting blue and cream on top. Just let go of my 911 997 turbo a few months ago. Too many miles for a 2009 ( 75,000). Before that I had a Cayman S. The cayenne above is a courteousy car for when i drop my turbo in for service.
    Come to Los Angeles and take me for a spin,

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Sort of OT but..Just wondering, as the original poster of this thread OILMAN was subsequently banned from Basenotes, why he/she and some others banned are not shown as such anymore as used to be shown near their avatar? Anyone who knows and wants to share please PM me and let me in on it. Chris (DustB) when a moderator always explained 'executive actions' such as why a particular member was banned and I appreciated the info.

Why OILMAN was banned: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/218...r-Alert-UPDATE

From the Basenotes rules and guidelines, why anyone is banned:

"What may get you banned.

These are guidelines and do not necessarily mean that a member will be banned in these circumstances. This is by no means an exhaustive list.

If you cause disruption or harm to your fellow members' experience or enjoyment of the Basenotes Community.
    Repeated rule violations and hostility.
    Disregarding warnings.
    Frequent complaints from other members.
    Any action which could cause harm to the site, its members or others.

Remember "treat others as you would like to be treated." and have fun."

I have no idea why the word BANNED isn't there anymore.

What I'm currently wearing:

Love this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DNT View Post
    Thanks hedonist. Nothing compared to your collection though. Love the Panerai.
    Thanks
    i benefited a lot from watchuseek and the other 2 watch forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

I miss Chris

Quote Originally Posted by KimmyMcG View Post
    Come to Los Angeles and take me for a spin,
    Only if you'll be my navigator. I've always wanted to cruise highway 1.

for swap/sale:

I bought recently Junghans Max Bill
    I love everything that has Bauhaus vibe.

The Junghans is an excellent choice, not just because of the dependable high-quality mechanism, but also thanks to its flawless puristic design

Congrats!

Nice clean dial. I like minimalist approaches.

for swap/sale:

I like minimalist approaches.
    Same here.

Thumbs up Re: Lets Talk Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Messer View Post
    I bought recently Junghans Max Bill
    I love everything that has Bauhaus vibe.
    Congrats. Love it a lot. Enjoy it
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Same here.
    That's wht I'll prolly never own a Brietling. Lovely watches, no doubt about that but too busy for me.

for swap/sale:

Thanks gents! I think it goes well with almost every attire and the brand is quite unique.
    Next one will be vintage Cartier

Wow, the Junghans Max Bill is lovely. I don't see many examples of the black face though - odd.

Hey guys, i have a question for you. I have 3 genuine watches (Omega PO/Sea Master & Breitling Navi) whichi love. I'm not a huge watch guy but i'm becoming more interested. I hve ae buddy who is into watches as much as we are into Frags, and recently came clean and told me that half of his colelction are replicas. But keep in mind, these are not your standard reps, these are SPOT ON 1 to 1 matches, from casing to quality movement ect.. He has 2 of my watches in rep version and we compared and i was blown away.

My question is this, the reps he is getting a re by no means cheap, there in the 500-1k range, but cheap relative for what the actual watch goes for. I'm contimplating getting one, there is a really nice UN i like, or do you think i should go to dpeartment store and buy a regular watch for 500bucks. I guess lke frags my taste have evolved and of course these type of watches are not in my price range to spend 5-10k on a watch, and when shopping at the mall for regular watches, i guess i don't see anything that appeals to me or maybe i'm jujst caught up in it being a "normal" watch, kind of lke designer vs. niche.

Anyways i'm rambling, anyone own any reps?

I have never bought a replica, and I don't think I ever will... I have never seen a perfect fake for sale.

The pre-owned/vintage market might be a less expensive option (or the only option if you're looking for a discontinued model).

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I have never bought a replica, and I don't think I ever will... I have never seen a perfect fake for sale.

The pre-owned/vintage market might be a less expensive option (or the only option if you're looking for a discontinued model).
    Thanks for the response. quality of the watch is not something i'm owrried about, i know it will work and as all my friends watches have for years. plus he fixes/repairs watches as well. I guess it wold be my first rep, so on the fence, but not sure why, all his watch are amazing

Persianprice, don't go down that drain hole .....
    And replica is the wrong terminology. In real life they're called fakes,knock offs ...

for swap/sale:

Persianprice, don't go down that drain hole .....
    And replica is the wrong terminology. In real life they're called fakes,knock offs ...
    You were actually the person i knoew would response and wanted to see what you had to say, even though i kind of knew the answer I guess i willl enjoy my 3 watches and maybe see if there is a nice looking watch in the stores that catches my eye, and forget about what brand it is, as long as it looks nice. I know with 5bills to spend at the mall will open my options to a bunch of brands. What's everyone's take on invitcita, michalel kors, decent watches?

Persian, I'd love to say go ahead with the fakes but there is a certain intangible pleasure you get from wearing the real ones.
    The way the rotor whizzes with randomy flicks of the hand.

And the Piguet family coat of arms engraved on the solid gold rotor is of utmost craftsmanship.

for swap/sale:

Persian, I'd love to say go ahead with the fakes but there is a certain intangible pleasure you get from wearing the real ones.
    The way the rotor whizzes with randomy flicks of the hand.

And the Piguet family coat of arms engraved on the solid gold rotor is of utmost craftsmanship.

wow , very sexy, i love AP

And speaking of vintage... I bought this a few days ago:

My favourite Pasha!

Niiiiiice.

Nice Pasha totts. Sporty but elegant.

for swap/sale:

Thanks guys!

Haven't wore G-Shock probably since high-school...damn Chris Martin!
    Pink, White and the Krink

Don't own one. Use my mobile phone for timekeeping. Had one when young but it always annoyed me to have something on my wrist and I never wore it.

I just pre-ordered this one. Probably will have to wait half a year for it.

Just got this in the mail today. The lume is very bright on this one, love it

I'm looking to buy a watch to wear for my Graduation day. I'm in my 20s, therefore price limited :-)

Please post pictures or links, :-)
    Give me an idea of where to look.

My basic recommendations would include mid-range priced, but high quality brands like Tissot- virtually available in any good quality department store, mall or watch shop, a great range of quartz and automatic Swiss mechanisms, sturdy and well-made metal cases, almost exclusively sapphire crystal dial windows, also a great range of sporty or dressy models

tissot.ch- their website itself is a good place too start, while a wide range of their watches is available on Amazon.com and in in most online as well as regular retail stores

Hey Troyvi,

Maybe you should check out the watchuseek forums. There are so many options and many styles you can choose from. You should also mention what style do you prefer (dress, dive,...) and what type of budget (you said limited but exact price range is more help full ie. <1000, 1k-2k, 2k>)

If your price range is above 1k, Ball is an excellent choice (http://ballwatch.com/). If you look around in the market place, you can score some nice ones under 1k.

For under 1k range, Steinhart is a strong company with many glowing reviews for their watches (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/). I've been lusting over their Ocean 1 GMT and Apollon for a while now.

Read around a bit and pick out what fits you best. Hope you score yourself a beautiful graduation watch.

EDIT: I surfed watchuseek and saw you selling your Raven. ^^" You already have a Kingston (which I adore and wished I had one) so you DON'T need a new watch LOL.
    Last edited by DNT; 11th March 2012 at 02:03 PM.

I like weird watches...my favorites are from the Toykoflash line.

The watch I'd love: Linde Werdelin SpidoLite SA

http://www.ablogtoread.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/linde-werdelin-spidolite-dlc-watch1.jpg

There's an Ellesse watch I found a few years back and only sold by H Samuel Jewelers in the UK. I think it's now discontinued but I'm determined to track it down. Black leather band with white stitching, rectangular brushed aluminum frame, black face with chronograph and some orange lettering.
    Last edited by Samarkand; 25th March 2012 at 08:04 AM.

Bought my first automatic. A cliche Seiko 5 but love it! I'm excited to get into watches now too

IMG_0135.jpg I have been wearing this a lot lately.(Nice Shark Diver Brenster)

Blog Entries

Oooh... stylish!

Blog Entries

Thank you! I love that watch even though it doesn't have a sweep second hand, and I need one for work, I still wear it to work. I also like several inexpensive brands like Mondain.

Simplicity rocks. I think it is better off without the extra hand (though I understand the inconvenience when it stops).

Quote Originally Posted by Aphid View Post
    IMG_0135.jpg I have been wearing this a lot lately.(Nice Shark Diver Brenster)
    Hey thanks! I'm glad somebody on here recognizes...

Last edited by Brenster; 6th April 2012 at 05:53 AM.

I like watches,but I do not have so much money to spend on them.what can I do?

How can I buy a better watch with less money?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 9th April 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: I want watches

http://www.chrono24.com/en/home/index.htm might be a good place to start, if nothing else to get a grasp of current prices.

Tks,I have seen the watches and it is also so expensive,I will think about them carefully

Define better watch...

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    I like watches,but I do not have so much money to spend on them.what can I do?
    In my personal opinion, do not buy a replica just because you can't pay for the watch you want. Use the money to save for the real thing instead and get a Timex in the meantime. Replica watches are generally horrible quality and the companies that sell them are crooks, IMO.

I rarely see a watch I like. Especially among those marketed towards women. But this one from 2009 definitely stood out for me:
    Last edited by socalwoman; 7th April 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shahor View Post
    I rarely see a watch I like. Especially among those marketed towards women. But this one from 2009 definitely stood out for me:
    That is different for sure.

I'm a huge invicta fan. Own about 4 right now. Also a few Seikos and Haurex Italy.

I'm still quite young, so while I enjoy nice classy watches, I also enjoy wearing things like this, which I bought just yesterday:

Banned

I've gotta say I've been a fan of Swatches since I got my first one in 1987. I thought that once I was older and able to afford more expensive watches, I'd ditch Swatch, but such has not proven the case. In fact, I bought two new ones last month that I have worked into the rotation. I think the first Limelight is the ultimate status symbol and I'd love to find one to wear when I get all dressed up.

deleted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamwires; 2nd October 2012 at 03:43 AM.

Here's a question for you watch gurus... I've always heard about Swiss being tops. However recently, I've been hearing a bit more about Japanese? Is that legit? I don't know the lingo very well, but whatever the time-keeping part of the watch is called is what I'm referring to. I just recently made my first foray into a fairly expensive watch (compared to average, see the Nixon above), so I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Here's a question for you watch gurus... I've always heard about Swiss being tops. However recently, I've been hearing a bit more about Japanese? Is that legit? I don't know the lingo very well, but whatever the time-keeping part of the watch is called is what I'm referring to. I just recently made my first foray into a fairly expensive watch (compared to average, see the Nixon above), so I'm still learning.
    The difference between japanese vs swiss is the watch movement. The swiss hand built, very precise while the orient is robotic built very precise also but not as much as the swiss. The quality may differ also. This is why the big names like Rolex, Tag heuger, breitling to name a few are built the swiss way.

Guys, how do you measure the precision of these watches? All my watches seem precise to me and my most expencive one was around 120 USD, so nowhere near that Nixon

DSCN0006.jpg

A present from my wife.