Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Figured out a way to store samples :)

My husband had a storage problem for his samples and didn't want to go the route of the industrial vial tray or lipstick tube holder. He didn't have a great many but they were all over the place on his dresser.

Today it occurred to me that there is a simple solution for someone who doesn't have vast numbers of samples (you with large numbers, read on below.) Maybe someone else has already thought of this, but anyway, here goes:

Take a box of any kind that isn't too deep and is a good size to house your samples. It could be as utilitarian as Tupperware, as cheap as an old tissue box with the top cut off, or as decorative as your imagination can come up with.

Edit 9/18/10:
    I have settled on using rectangular bamboo boxes sold for storage of cutlery. Cheap, a good depth, fit in drawers neatly side by side.

Fill it 3/4 full with any granulated substance that won't scratch your vials: rice, bulgur wheat, cornmeal, salt, sugar, you name it. I used cracked barley, as I happened to have a lot on hand. You could use sand, of course, but it would scratch the glass vials. Grains are not as heavy as salt or sugar and easier to vacuum up if they spill. Small inexpensive plastic beads will do very nicely also.

Now just stick the vials upright into the box. The rice (or whatever filler you used) will support the vials. No need for precision drilled holes and the beauty of this is, no matter how big or small the vial, or whether you get rid of or add samples, the filler adapts.

Those with a lot of samples could still use this idea. Get a three-drawer Sterlite plastic storage unit -- the kind whose drawers are about 3-4" deep-- and partially fill the drawers with your rice (or whatever.) Then stick the vials into it.

Ta-dah!

(***EDIT: The container doesn't even have to be a box, really. You could use any favorite container. A flower pot even, LOL. As long as you fill it to within a short distance from the top with the filler of choice.
    Also, for those who may not want to read the whole thread, it has been pointed out that some fillers may attract bugs and salt and sugar can dissolve.
    My best recommendation at this point is poly pellets, or polypropylene pellets, which are the filler for beanie toys. Available in bulk on eBay and elsewhere where craft supplies are sold. Choke hazard for kids, though, so take precautions.

If 2,389 people have already come up with this idea, please ignore!

And if I posted this in the wrong section, someone please move the thread?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th September 2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added images of poly pellets in use

Default Re: Figured out a way to store samples :)

A very sound idea, which, as far as I know, noone has mentioned yet! Thanks 30 Roses

Blog Entries

Woo-hoo! I actually came up with a new idea? Cool!

Excellent ! I love this, simple, easy to make and quite efficient.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I would point out that of all the suggestions salt might be least likely to attract pests in the long term. But the idea sounds wonderful.

Blog Entries

Thanks!

Perhaps if you want to use salt, the best choice might be coarse salt (like kosher salt.) Easier to sweep up if it spills. Or bath salts, epsom salt.

Other fillers:

• groats (oats, not oatmeal, available in bulk) (though these might get buggy)
    • used coffee grounds, dried
    • dried lavender flowers

Other ideas for fillers?

How about crushed walnut shells or seashells?

Peppercorns would work as well.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th October 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Cool idea. It's been heck just storing my samples in a bag or box.

My only concern with using foodstuffs or sawdust is what happens if it got wet? In case of a spill or one of the vial leaked or still has some liquid on its sides. Salt would stick to the sides.

Perhaps using small plastic beads should do the trick.

Blog Entries

SirSlarty, that is a good point.

So having brainstormed further, I think the best material is polypropylene pellets such as are used in beanie type stuffed animals. These can be bought in bulk and are not costly. Odor free, non-absorbent and won't attract bugs. Lightweight and easy to sweep up, too. I think we have a winner!

Searching eBay using the search terms "poly* pellets" (which brings up listings for "poly pellets", as they are called, and "polypropylene pellets") I see listings for 13 oz.; 2 lb., 10 lb, 25 lb, 50 lb. and even (gasp) 1500 lb. bulk quantities!

Caution-- keep away from little kids; these are a choke hazard.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th October 2008 at 03:46 PM.

Darn, great idea! Must... try... tomorrow...
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Blog Entries

I thought I had some of these poly pellets in the basement and after hunting around a bit I found enough to take a photo showing them in use. That photo link has been moved to the original post.

They work GREAT! And they look cool-- like the samples are nestled in snow.

This photo shows the pellets in my hand:

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: restored photo

Great idea, thank you for sharing it.

I used couscous today, but they tend to stick to my atomizers. Rice works great, though.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Blog Entries

So glad it's working! Don't you just love low-tech solutions?

I'm going to get a small wooden box from AC Moore along with some beads. I'm gonna try and paint a design on it! Horray!

They have these "designer rocks" at Bed Bath and Beyond that are all different colors and look very pretty so maybe that would work well and look even better than a random box filled with salt.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I thought I had some of these poly pellets in the basement and after hunting around a bit I found enough to take a photo showing them in use. They work GREAT! And they look cool-- like the samples are nestled in snow.
    Where can I buy these?

Blog Entries

Brillliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT!!! I'm getting some poly pellets today. (They're available at Michaels or any similar craft store, The Attorney.) I think I'll keep mine in a container with a lid. I can be clumsy, and I would not want to be picking billions of pellets out of the bedroom carpet. Even a butter dish would work, but of course I want something pretty! 30 Roses, you deserve 30 dozen. This is the best idea I've seen!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

They're on eBay if you search for "Poly* Pellets" but I also just checked Michaels (craft store) and found them:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=nw0201

The website has a store locator so you can buy them in your own area.

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/ap...tore%20Locator

I called our local store just now, and the Poly Pellets were in stock and the price was $6.99 for a 32 ounce bag.

If you are going to Michaels to get them, check the store flyers in your Sunday paper first-- this week there was a Michaels flyer with a coupon for 40% off any one regularly priced item. (They run the coupons every 2 weeks or so.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Brillliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT!!! I'm getting some poly pellets today. (They're available at Michaels or any similar craft store, The Attorney.) I think I'll keep mine in a container with a lid. I can be clumsy, and I would not want to be picking billions of pellets out of the bedroom carpet. Even a butter dish would work, but of course I want something pretty! 30 Roses, you deserve 30 dozen. This is the best idea I've seen!
    *blush*

I'm inordinately pleased.

Blog Entries

Time for some fun pictures for inspiration and amusement:

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: restored photos

Blog Entries

Well, we got our 32 ounce bag of Poly Pellets at Michaels and I just put them in a boring old cardboard box in my top dresser drawer! But it fit the space perfectly so it was just what I needed.

What I want to show in this photo is that it's easy to subdivide your box into sections using just a piece of paper or card. To demonstrate this I sectioned off my my Annick Goutal samples. Maybe I'll section off my L'Artisan ones next, or all the ones I want to test next. The beauty of this is that you can alter your sections at will.

I can also tell you from experience that the pellets are easy to sweep up-- no sooner did I get my husband's samples all set up when he knocked one of the boxes over!

Now he's got his samples in a drawer too.

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: restored photo

That is so cool! Your samples look like a little fragrance garden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    That is so cool! Your samples look like a little fragrance garden!
    A Fragrant Zen Garden!? Where's my rake?

Blog Entries

A little fragrance garden, eh?

I rise to the occasion!

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: restored photo link

Blog Entries

Look what I did last night! These are DH's samples. I think I'm going to need two more boxes-- one for mine, and one the unisex scents we share. I'm still shopping around for just the right thing. DH's box was $6.99 at Ross. I like that it has a lid to prevent exposure to light.

Vials are arranged first by family (Oriental, Fougere/Woods, etc), then alphabetically. There's a list taped to the inside of the lid.

Last edited by Heartwood; 19th October 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Very attractive! I especially like the idea of the list inside the lid-- you could also arrange the names on the paper to match the position of the corresponding sample-- like the little map inside the lid of a box of chocolates that shows you which chocolate is a caramel and which is a creme.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    A Fragrant Zen Garden!? Where's my rake?
    You ARE the rake, SirSlarty!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

you could also arrange the names on the paper to match the position of the corresponding sample.
    So glad you like it. The vials actually are arranged that way. The first on the list is A*Men Pure Coffee and that's at the top left. And so forth.

My first thought for storage was cups and stemware. A blue willow rice bowl for the orientals, a cut crystal water goblet for the florals, Noritake Xavier Gold teacup for my woods... But I'm already a little cluttered and I don't need more stuff on my dresser top. I need less! And I'm klutzy. But I like pretty things....

Then I thought about light. Light + klutz = box with hasp. I can't believe the devil of a time I'm having finding "the prefect box." I've found a few "pretty good" boxes, but I want to hold out for just the right thing. I blame Christmas. I've been to TJ Maxx Homegoods (two of 'em), World Market, and all my other favorite cheapie tchotchke places. There are very few knickknack boxes, but lots and lots of Christmas stuff. The need to organize my smellies is bringing out my inner Scrooge. Bois des Humbug!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

LOL I just love these pirate chests!

Aurgh, matey! Shiver me timbers! These lassies be buryin' treasure fit for a king! What's this one? Timbuktu? Aurrghh! Been there meself. I'll be takin' that, if ye don't mind....

What a great way to keep these pesky samples upright and out of light! Bravo, girls! Polypropylene pellets are definitely the bomb.

I think I just found a good use for that big soup tureen that's been cluttering the place up...
    Brilliant idea, 30 Roses!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Blog Entries

Oh! I love tureens-- would love to see a photo when you are done setting it up!

I put my 16 samples from Les Parfums de Rosine into a little planter

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: restored photo link

I can't say enough good things about the poly-pellet idea. I finally went over to the hobby shop and found them. I had a hard time finding them, but finally, one of the guys who works there figured out what I was looking for. It was in the doll-making section. "Bean-bag fill" they called it.

'Works marvelously! It even fits weirdly-shaped samples, like the Man.Aubusson. Pictures to come.

love these ideas, my favorites are the little garden with the rabbit and flowers, and the pirate chest with the map-like key on the lid.
    thanks for the great idea, 30Roses - look at how your inspiration has spread!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Here's a picture of the bean-bag filler I purchased yesterday.

What I love about this idea, 30_Roses, is that it fits ALL samples sizes, even this weirdly shaped Man.Aubusson sample.

Blog Entries

I wondered what that sample looked like! Thanks for posting the photos!

As I mentioned on another thread, these pellets are non-absorbent and lightweight. So if you ever spill them onto the floor (as I did), it is an easy thing to sweep them up and throw them in a bowl of soapy water. Pellets float, dirt sinks. Skim them off, put on paper towel to dry, reuse. Good as new.

By the way every time I attach photos, all I get in my post is a link, not the photo itself. I'm doing the same thing I do on other discussion boards that use this attachments system, but it doesn't seem to work for me here. Anyone know why?

Blog Entries

I suspect you're uploading your pics directly from your computer by clicking 'manage attachments' under 'additional options' when you 'reply to topic', yes? Then they will attach in this way. I uploaded my pics directly to basenotes (for non-fragrance stuff I typically use photobucket) and copied the BB code directly from the bar under the picture in my Basenotes album. No matter where the image is stored (basenotes or free photosharing site), you have to make sure you put the code, i.e. [img] and [/img], around the url with no spaces in between, like this:

[img]http://community.basenotes.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=374&d=1225456426[/img]

Above is the url for your Rosine samples with BB code around it (plus additional BB code to make it show up as text instead of the image; you'll see all of it if you hit 'quote'). You can easily get the url of your pics by clicking on the attachment and copying from the location bar of your browser.

Creating a BN photo album might be a supporters-only feature, however. Also remember, no hyperlinking, use a photosharing site if you don't want to upload from your computer. (What happended to that sticky?) Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 9th November 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: cleaning up messy posts
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

It has occurred to me that sugar bowls have lids!

Too bad I can't get my hands on this for under $100! It'd be perfect for my woodsy scents.

Last edited by Heartwood; 9th November 2008 at 07:57 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation, an_oud_girl. Tomorrow I'll sit down and figure out what I want to do with my photos, check out whether I can make an album etc.

That is a beautiful sugar bowl-- what pattern is that? Have you checked out eBay and Replacements.com?

Inspired by this thread, I found a tapered candle box which is divided lengthwise in half. I poured some colored sand from an old sand art jar that we have had laying around, it had been shaken so that the design is long gone. This holds the samples quite nicely. Will try to post a pic when I can. I have about 20 little vials in there. Of course it does not solve my light problem, but for now I have tucked it into the dark corner of my bookshelf. I like the ideas shown here with lids, but I am pleased with my off the cuff project on my lazy day.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

That is a beautiful sugar bowl-- what pattern is that?
    It's Xavier Gold by Noritake. Replacements is actually very expensive. Sometimes you can still find discounted discontinued items at some retailers, but anything Replacements has, they seem to have marked UP! I'll keep an eye on ebay, at this time even the salt and pepper in XG is $80!

While I'm dreaming, I like this one for my incense samples. It's Evening Majesty by Noritake.

Also, 30 Roses, you can easily edit your above post with the Rosine samples to add the picture by just copying that line of image text I wrote and pasting it in.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Ah, that is lovely also. You may want to set up a "saved search" on eBay for those -- you will get emails automatically if one is listed. Sooner or later, almost everything shows up on eBay....

Thank you SO MUCH for clueing me in about the images-- it was easy to change the links to photos appearing in my posts. Much better than making readers click on links!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 06:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Whoops-- the photos are indeed gone. I saw them there but now they are gone. Hang in there everyone, I'll upload them to Photobucket tomorrow; uploading from my computer doesn't seem to work so well.

Blog Entries

*sigh*

I uploaded the images to Photobucket but when I tried to attach them with the image link I got a message that it was an "invalid file."

So the photo links are back. Best I can do, it seems.

30 Roses, I wonder if you're trying to use the BB Code URLs with the "Manage Attachments" button still? Inserting an image into the body of your post is a different process than attaching an image. Photobucket and the Basenotes albums offer that line of IMG code for each individual picture, and you would copy this and paste it within the text area of your message box. This doesn't involve the "Manage Attachments" process at all.

I love the poly pellet variations. I've been keeping my eyes open for just the right vessel to use, myself.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Blog Entries

Tang, you had it figured out! That is exactly what I was doing. The photos are up now-- thanks to everyone who helped me out!

I saw some good organizer containers at Marshall's yesterday. Intended for sox and such, but fine for frags.

Glad to help!

I don't have the pellets yet, but this thread has made me look around the house with new eyes:
    1. Red & gold lacquered box, TJMaxx or HobbyLobby
    2. Empty cd tower with 5 narrow drawers
    3. Small, 3-drawer office organizer, Target
    4. Paint-it-yourself ceramics (tiled boxes, ceramic boxes, and great personalization options if you live near one of these locations)
    5. Converted baker's rack with 4 small drawers

I think poly-pellets would work well in any of these. This thread has been an inspiration!
    Last edited by tang; 14th December 2008 at 02:14 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

This is a grrrrrrrreat thread!!! Thanks 30Roses! :wave:

I use the same method storing my many makeup brushes. (I got that idea from a Sephora display.) I uses half-round, 3-4" tall, sponge/soap containers with a suction cups. I filled them with pellets, stuck them on my bathroom mirror, right above the vanity and then added the brushes. Keeps them organized and clean.

For some odd reason, I never thought of using the same method to store samples. Duh!!!
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

This was such a great idea, but as a cat mama I didn't think it would work for me except as a source of accupressure when 10,000 little plastic pellets hit the bathroom floor. Here's how I modified (no picture yet).

Tang's post got me looking around the house and I saw a small, canvas, 3-drawer CD holder I've never used. I sprayed the inside of the drawers with ScotchGard, filled each one about half-way with dried rosemary, sage and lavender from my garden, and put in the samples as 30 Roses suggested. Even with the drawers closed it smells great, is bug- and cat-repellent, and the herbs can be replaced easily if I tire of the scent or if a sample spills on them.

This was an amazing idea!

Someone could market this as a commercial product,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Someone could market this as a commercial product,
    Yeah, I thought of that, but it makes me happier to think that everyone can just do their own thing with the idea. It can't always be about money and profit, right?

I'm enjoying everyone's contribution of ideas to the thread....
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th December 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Applause, applause. Wonderful thinking and photo-posting, 30Roses. I like your brain!

Now THAT's the way to give a gift of samples.
    Last edited by Quarry; 14th December 2008 at 04:07 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

I've always given some attention to those posts by BNers who are using ammo boxes for storing their perfume samples, but always wished the boxes were *prettier* . I tried the poly-pellets, but they didn't work for me in the long run because I have so many samples and so little space. I want to keep them all in one *pretty* storage box and every time I tried to push more in, others would get shoved askew and the samples wouldn't stay where I wanted them too.

I kept thinking more and more about ammo boxes and looked at many on fleabay. But I wanted to see some in person and after trips to three sporting goods stores and a military supply store, I couldn't find anything like what I was seeing on fleabay or here on BN (the stores' were more like tool boxes, with few divided spaces). So I sent email to a friend of mine who likes guns. He suggested going to a shooting range. Bullet cartridges are sold in boxes that have plastic dividers inside. People use up their cartridges at the range, and throw away the boxes/inserts. The employees at the range really don't mind much at all pulling some out of the trash bin and giving them to you for free! I've learned that it's best to stop by in the evening, just before closing, because most people like to shoot guns after work. Unload and unwind, as it were.

I got some 9 mm cartridge inserts for vials, as well as some .45 caliber inserts that are perfect for 2.5 ml sprayers and manufacturer's sprayers. I haven't actually done much sorting and putting into pretty boxes, but I'm so excited about this I had to let you all know ASAP!

The cross hatches you see thru the holes are at the bottom of the trays, and keep your perfume "cartridges" from falling all the way thru. So you can move and carry these trays around if, for example, you get a BIGGER *pretty* box, you can just pick up and transfer the entire tray. I'm SO happy with this solution!

-- Absolutely Fabulous

Just noticed this thread - there is something just so wonderfully out there and totally surreal in the image of a perfumista hitting the gun range and trawling round for spent ammo cases . . . brilliant!

The mind reels - how on earth do we reconcile "I kept thinking more and more about ammo boxes" & "I got some 9 mm cartridge inserts for vials, as well as some .45 calibre inserts . . ." with yer typical perfume ad copy "frothy top notes of mimosa and a delicate, almost diaphanous, heart of heliotrope hovering over a base of sublime sandalwood"?

I'm thinking let's forget all about those fussy little Freddy Malle and Hermes Travel Atomisers and just grab a few empty semi-automatic clips good for 20 or 30 rounds and load 'em up for those trips away when you want a few extra shots of the good stuff. It would give those poor bored individuals sitting staring at the X Ray screen as the bags go thru something to brighten things up?

I love this place . . . an_oud_girl, thank you for 'making my day'
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 26th June 2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: further inspiration

Blog Entries

This is not the first time I've thought, "I love this place." Basenotes seems to be the best example of diversity actually helping everyone instead of just being tolerated. Note that it's only only ammo cases being used to store samples but also fine china, kitty litter, crafts and (in another thread) woodworking.

I'm new to BN this year, so I'm especially grateful to an_oud_girl for bumping this with a new idea. If there's another thread somewhere that already solved health care, someone please bump it up to the White House

AromiErotici

The wife made this for me awhile back to hold my powerscent atomizers. I'm in the process right now of getting the rest that are not shown in there as well.

I keep running out of 5ml atomizers.

Blog Entries

This method has worked for me, although I'm woefully behind in filing the samples.

Using a box the size of ziplock bags, with removable lid.

Put sticky labels alphabetically by house, all on left so it's east to flip through & find.

Everything fits in bags, even bigger samps & carded ones.

Also, showng storage boxes w/lids of full bottles, which can be stacked.
    Last edited by kumquat; 27th June 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Blog Entries

mr. reasonable, you crack me up! Please go ahead and "make my day" anytime!

AromiErotici: Your wife is clever! I've seen that grid stuff before-- something to do with lighting? for aquariums? Where have I seen that? It looks most excellent for 5 ml samples, though I don't have but a few of those.

Kumquat: I've run out of room in the large drawers of my jewelry armoire. I like the black stacking boxes!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Kudos for the great pictures! What superb creativity. I have mine all stashed in 3 compartmentalized craft boxes from Walmart (probably made for beads and such), but yours are so much prettier AND functional. Love all the ideas.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Blog Entries

A cardboard box waiting to the thrown away, some pieces of wrapping paper too small for anything else, and a trip to Michael's for the polypro pellets. About one hour and $2. My inner Scot is delighted.

To keep the tall thin samples neatly upright, fill the box to about 2/3 their height. The shorter samples just push down part way to the bottom. I'm still working on the key to tape inside the lid.