Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Figured out a way to store samples :)

My husband had a storage problem for his samples and didn't want to go the route of the industrial vial tray or lipstick tube holder. He didn't have a great many but they were all over the place on his dresser.

Today it occurred to me that there is a simple solution for someone who doesn't have vast numbers of samples (you with large numbers, read on below.) Maybe someone else has already thought of this, but anyway, here goes:

Take a box of any kind that isn't too deep and is a good size to house your samples. It could be as utilitarian as Tupperware, as cheap as an old tissue box with the top cut off, or as decorative as your imagination can come up with.

Edit 9/18/10:
    I have settled on using rectangular bamboo boxes sold for storage of cutlery. Cheap, a good depth, fit in drawers neatly side by side.

Fill it 3/4 full with any granulated substance that won't scratch your vials: rice, bulgur wheat, cornmeal, salt, sugar, you name it. I used cracked barley, as I happened to have a lot on hand. You could use sand, of course, but it would scratch the glass vials. Grains are not as heavy as salt or sugar and easier to vacuum up if they spill. Small inexpensive plastic beads will do very nicely also.

Now just stick the vials upright into the box. The rice (or whatever filler you used) will support the vials. No need for precision drilled holes and the beauty of this is, no matter how big or small the vial, or whether you get rid of or add samples, the filler adapts.

Those with a lot of samples could still use this idea. Get a three-drawer Sterlite plastic storage unit -- the kind whose drawers are about 3-4" deep-- and partially fill the drawers with your rice (or whatever.) Then stick the vials into it.

Ta-dah!

(***EDIT: The container doesn't even have to be a box, really. You could use any favorite container. A flower pot even, LOL. As long as you fill it to within a short distance from the top with the filler of choice.
    Also, for those who may not want to read the whole thread, it has been pointed out that some fillers may attract bugs and salt and sugar can dissolve.
    My best recommendation at this point is poly pellets, or polypropylene pellets, which are the filler for beanie toys. Available in bulk on eBay and elsewhere where craft supplies are sold. Choke hazard for kids, though, so take precautions.

If 2,389 people have already come up with this idea, please ignore!

And if I posted this in the wrong section, someone please move the thread?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th September 2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added images of poly pellets in use

Default Re: Figured out a way to store samples :)

A very sound idea, which, as far as I know, noone has mentioned yet! Thanks 30 Roses

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Woo-hoo! I actually came up with a new idea? Cool!

Excellent ! I love this, simple, easy to make and quite efficient.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I would point out that of all the suggestions salt might be least likely to attract pests in the long term. But the idea sounds wonderful.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

Perhaps if you want to use salt, the best choice might be coarse salt (like kosher salt.) Easier to sweep up if it spills. Or bath salts, epsom salt.

Other fillers:

• groats (oats, not oatmeal, available in bulk) (though these might get buggy)
    • used coffee grounds, dried
    • dried lavender flowers

Other ideas for fillers?

How about crushed walnut shells or seashells?

Peppercorns would work as well.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th October 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Cool idea. It's been heck just storing my samples in a bag or box.

My only concern with using foodstuffs or sawdust is what happens if it got wet? In case of a spill or one of the vial leaked or still has some liquid on its sides. Salt would stick to the sides.

Perhaps using small plastic beads should do the trick.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

SirSlarty, that is a good point.

So having brainstormed further, I think the best material is polypropylene pellets such as are used in beanie type stuffed animals. These can be bought in bulk and are not costly. Odor free, non-absorbent and won't attract bugs. Lightweight and easy to sweep up, too. I think we have a winner!

Searching eBay using the search terms "poly* pellets" (which brings up listings for "poly pellets", as they are called, and "polypropylene pellets") I see listings for 13 oz.; 2 lb., 10 lb, 25 lb, 50 lb. and even (gasp) 1500 lb. bulk quantities!

Caution-- keep away from little kids; these are a choke hazard.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th October 2008 at 03:46 PM.

Darn, great idea! Must... try... tomorrow...
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I thought I had some of these poly pellets in the basement and after hunting around a bit I found enough to take a photo showing them in use. That photo link has been moved to the original post.

They work GREAT! And they look cool-- like the samples are nestled in snow.

This photo shows the pellets in my hand:

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: restored photo

Great idea, thank you for sharing it.

I used couscous today, but they tend to stick to my atomizers. Rice works great, though.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

So glad it's working! Don't you just love low-tech solutions?

I'm going to get a small wooden box from AC Moore along with some beads. I'm gonna try and paint a design on it! Horray!

They have these "designer rocks" at Bed Bath and Beyond that are all different colors and look very pretty so maybe that would work well and look even better than a random box filled with salt.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I thought I had some of these poly pellets in the basement and after hunting around a bit I found enough to take a photo showing them in use. They work GREAT! And they look cool-- like the samples are nestled in snow.
    Where can I buy these?

Blog Entries

Brillliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT!!! I'm getting some poly pellets today. (They're available at Michaels or any similar craft store, The Attorney.) I think I'll keep mine in a container with a lid. I can be clumsy, and I would not want to be picking billions of pellets out of the bedroom carpet. Even a butter dish would work, but of course I want something pretty! 30 Roses, you deserve 30 dozen. This is the best idea I've seen!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

They're on eBay if you search for "Poly* Pellets" but I also just checked Michaels (craft store) and found them:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=nw0201

The website has a store locator so you can buy them in your own area.

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/ap...tore%20Locator

I called our local store just now, and the Poly Pellets were in stock and the price was $6.99 for a 32 ounce bag.

If you are going to Michaels to get them, check the store flyers in your Sunday paper first-- this week there was a Michaels flyer with a coupon for 40% off any one regularly priced item. (They run the coupons every 2 weeks or so.)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Brillliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT!!! I'm getting some poly pellets today. (They're available at Michaels or any similar craft store, The Attorney.) I think I'll keep mine in a container with a lid. I can be clumsy, and I would not want to be picking billions of pellets out of the bedroom carpet. Even a butter dish would work, but of course I want something pretty! 30 Roses, you deserve 30 dozen. This is the best idea I've seen!
    *blush*

I'm inordinately pleased.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Time for some fun pictures for inspiration and amusement:

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: restored photos

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Well, we got our 32 ounce bag of Poly Pellets at Michaels and I just put them in a boring old cardboard box in my top dresser drawer! But it fit the space perfectly so it was just what I needed.

What I want to show in this photo is that it's easy to subdivide your box into sections using just a piece of paper or card. To demonstrate this I sectioned off my my Annick Goutal samples. Maybe I'll section off my L'Artisan ones next, or all the ones I want to test next. The beauty of this is that you can alter your sections at will.

I can also tell you from experience that the pellets are easy to sweep up-- no sooner did I get my husband's samples all set up when he knocked one of the boxes over!

Now he's got his samples in a drawer too.

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: restored photo

That is so cool! Your samples look like a little fragrance garden!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    That is so cool! Your samples look like a little fragrance garden!
    A Fragrant Zen Garden!? Where's my rake?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A little fragrance garden, eh?

I rise to the occasion!

Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: restored photo link

Blog Entries

Look what I did last night! These are DH's samples. I think I'm going to need two more boxes-- one for mine, and one the unisex scents we share. I'm still shopping around for just the right thing. DH's box was $6.99 at Ross. I like that it has a lid to prevent exposure to light.

Vials are arranged first by family (Oriental, Fougere/Woods, etc), then alphabetically. There's a list taped to the inside of the lid.

Last edited by Heartwood; 19th October 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Very attractive! I especially like the idea of the list inside the lid-- you could also arrange the names on the paper to match the position of the corresponding sample-- like the little map inside the lid of a box of chocolates that shows you which chocolate is a caramel and which is a creme.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    A Fragrant Zen Garden!? Where's my rake?
    You ARE the rake, SirSlarty!
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    you could also arrange the names on the paper to match the position of the corresponding sample.
    So glad you like it. The vials actually are arranged that way. The first on the list is A*Men Pure Coffee and that's at the top left. And so forth.

My first thought for storage was cups and stemware. A blue willow rice bowl for the orientals, a cut crystal water goblet for the florals, Noritake Xavier Gold teacup for my woods... But I'm already a little cluttered and I don't need more stuff on my dresser top. I need less! And I'm klutzy. But I like pretty things....

Then I thought about light. Light + klutz = box with hasp. I can't believe the devil of a time I'm having finding "the prefect box." I've found a few "pretty good" boxes, but I want to hold out for just the right thing. I blame Christmas. I've been to TJ Maxx Homegoods (two of 'em), World Market, and all my other favorite cheapie tchotchke places. There are very few knickknack boxes, but lots and lots of Christmas stuff. The need to organize my smellies is bringing out my inner Scrooge. Bois des Humbug!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

LOL I just love these pirate chests!

Aurgh, matey! Shiver me timbers! These lassies be buryin' treasure fit for a king! What's this one? Timbuktu? Aurrghh! Been there meself. I'll be takin' that, if ye don't mind....

What a great way to keep these pesky samples upright and out of light! Bravo, girls! Polypropylene pellets are definitely the bomb.

I think I just found a good use for that big soup tureen that's been cluttering the place up...
    Brilliant idea, 30 Roses!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729