Code of Conduct

Default Houbigant Fougere Royale - a comeback?

Just came back from a late lunch with a swing by Neiman's. Went to the men's fragrance counter downstairs and the sales associate, who is by far one of the better ones in the business, told me that Fougere Royale would be re-introduced sometime in the next year or so. I asked him how Houbigant would be able to handle the restrictions on oakmoss in this scent's formulation. His guess was that they would probably try to insert as much as possible while still coming in under the limit. Anyone else hear some buzz on the subject?
    Last edited by Jardanel; 7th October 2008 at 11:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Houbigant Fougere Royale - a comeback?

Um...wow! This is BIG news.

Turin (and many hardcore fougere fans) will be ecstatic!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Earlier this year, I heard, also from a very knowledgeable SA, that Houbigant was planning a re-release of Fougère Royale.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 7th October 2008 at 11:28 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

That is so exciting!!!
    I have a vintage bottle of Houbigant FR. I have been holding off on trying it and reviewing it. Now I'm motivated to do that.
    I'm a huge fan of fern-y fougeres. (Not all fougeres have that distinctive style of scent.)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Has anyone heard anything further about this re-release? I finally tried my bottle, which I estimate is of the 1959-1963 period. Here is some of my review. I don't expect the new version would be as exceptional, but if it comes close it will be worth checking out. Cheers.

What I encountered was the magnificent, incredibly beautiful scent of a classic fougere. It is so lovely! No wonder it was the sensation of its time. It is rich in a way I’ve never smelled in any other fougere, even those of the top ranks. It has a compelling depth, a kind of earthy quality that is peerless. It has power amidst the beauty, and thus it is an assertive scent that any man might happily choose. Its rich, languid notes convey the image of a warm summer day, with flowers and grasses shimmering in a heat haze.
    Amazingly after all this time, the ingredients still ring true. The lavender is very dry and aromatic. It combines well with the dusky green notes from clary sage. Special mention is due for the heliotrope – it delivers its characteristic vanilla-cinnamon-powder chord. The pleasantly fern note, something like rubber or soap, is here. The dry-down is dry and haunting, and completely satisfying. Good duration, especially for a vintage scent. I can still detect it 10 hours later.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Has anyone heard anything further about this re-release? I finally tried my bottle, which I estimate is of the 1959-1963 period. Here is some of my review. I don't expect the new version would be as exceptional, but if it comes close it will be worth checking out. Cheers.

What I encountered was the magnificent, incredibly beautiful scent of a classic fougere. It is so lovely! No wonder it was the sensation of its time. It is rich in a way I’ve never smelled in any other fougere, even those of the top ranks. It has a compelling depth, a kind of earthy quality that is peerless. It has power amidst the beauty, and thus it is an assertive scent that any man might happily choose. Its rich, languid notes convey the image of a warm summer day, with flowers and grasses shimmering in a heat haze.
    Amazingly after all this time, the ingredients still ring true. The lavender is very dry and aromatic. It combines well with the dusky green notes from clary sage. Special mention is due for the heliotrope – it delivers its characteristic vanilla-cinnamon-powder chord. The pleasantly fern note, something like rubber or soap, is here. The dry-down is dry and haunting, and completely satisfying. Good duration, especially for a vintage scent. I can still detect it 10 hours later.
    Where your bottle came from, if it`s not a secret?
    I got mine from Jaime Lliteras, and find it also good but with some medical connotation, like some potent stuff to mask the awful odours.
    Maybe it`s not a heliotrope, but tonka beans and coumarin?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I got my bottle from Jaime, too. Glad you like yours!
    Perhaps what you call "medicinal" I call "earthy" -- it is a somewhat powerful and aromatic note. I like that aspect!
    The scent generally was exactly what I expected a classic, Victorian-era fougere to smell like; only even better than I imagined.
    I also have a Deparco/Gemey H pour Homme Fougere Royale, which my research to date seems to be a mass-market subsidiary line affiliated with Houbigant. It is also quite good, though not as deep and powerful as the Houbigant Fougere Royale.
    I grow heliotrope flowers, and their distinctive fragrance I'm sure I can smell in the scent. And I've seen heliotrope listed as an ingredient. However, I'm sure that you are also correct, in that tonka and coumarin would add some of those vanilla notes.
    Cheers! I love a good fougere.
    odysseusm

My ears and attention are perked... like a dog's when you say - "You wanna go outside?!"
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah