Code of Conduct

Thread: Frederic Malle

Default Frederic Malle

I'm from Qatar and unfortunately we don't have FM here or anywhere around us. I am soooo tempted at these alluring frags and i want to test them soooo bad. I'm going to buy one or two or three blind and need your insight people! I love oriental and unique frags (Tobacco Vanille, Amber Absolute, Indult, Eau Noir, Magot, By Kilian) and want a similiar one from FM. Obviously I dont want the same scent, but I dont want to but for example Vetiver Extrodanaire either (not a fan of earthy and woody). So what do you recommend people?
    oh and one major issue is i have ALOT of frags that i want to add to my wardrobe...but do i have to add them individually? i cant select or mark them from a list? thnx
    Last edited by aboodchy; 8th October 2008 at 01:06 AM.
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Frederic Malle

I would not recommend any blind purchases - especially something as expensive as Malle fragrances. I personally have tried the entire line. While I found them to be "nice", I have not felt any were bottle worthy.

You should try to order/obtain samples first, then make your decision.

Good luck!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would not recommend any blind purchases - especially something as expensive as Malle fragrances. ... You should try to order/obtain samples first, then make your decision.
    I couldn't agree more. Keep in mind that even the 50ml bottles are retailing for about $120, and the 100ml bottles are at least $200. Just buy a few samples from The Perfumed Court and try them out. I recommend Noir Epices and Musc Ravageur, by the way.

Ditto Gentleman, the best place to start is with samples, because there are not cheap fragrances and you may not even like them; unfortunately buying blind is not the best idea, especially when you have never even smelled the fragrances. Be patient and sample, sample, sample, then when you find that "holy grail," so to speak, you will have no doubt and no risk.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 8th October 2008 at 02:40 AM.

Yeah Malle fragrances are very interesting. Remember that they are made by artists who are basically given a blank check to create whatever fragrance they desire. As such, they are very artistic, idiosyncratic, and varied fragrances. Where many fragrance houses have common themes or base notes, the only unifying aspect of the Malle series is their unrestrained exuberance and eccentricity.

Sample them all. Be very careful about blind buys. There must be other options.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I agree with everything that people have said. Sometimes we have to be patient -- though that is hard.
    I was in a wonderful store that had the entire line. I sniffed each one on a strip of paper. Some were nice (but nothing more), some didn't suit me at all.
    Only one suited me -- and I love it. Bois D'Orage. But it suited me not because it was better than the others but because the style is a style I like (very dry, austere, resinous).
    There is nothing that can replace sampling. Even things that look good "on paper" (the ingredients) can be irritating or weak when you try them.
    If the scent is inexpensive, you might take a chance. We've all done that. But it is a pity to spend money that you might spend of scents you really like.
    Good Luck!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

they are good fragrances... interesting concept and good ingredients... I have sampled some of them and I only found Angeliques sous la pluie to bottle worthy. I do not recommend it though. I lasts 30 seconds.
    They were nice... but they did not have that wow-factor.

I suggest sampling them first. You might find something you least expected. That's all part of the fun.
    Agree to start with Musc Ravageur, Bois D'Orage and Noir Epices. I quite like Lys M and Carnal flower. Carnal flower is a strong tuberose.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 8th October 2008 at 12:17 PM.

or you could buy them all and then sell whatever you don't want to us
    Immediate Wishlist: CDG Palisander/Avignon

I've only tried a few, and I only know two enough to describe them. I agree with everyone else - unless money is no object you'd best try the FMs first. However if this helps:

Vetiver Extraordinaire: Brutally strong, earthy vetiver note. Among the strongest vetivers possible.

Iris Poudre - Strong, aldehydic iris with a touch of fruit lurking underneath. A little goes a long way.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm guessing here, but if you like rose scents, Une Rose might be worth your attention.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Musc Ravageur is nice; well, if you like scents that are very very naughty. LOL.

I'll echo the others in saying that it's not wise to blind buy something from Malle as they're truly love/hate scents. You wouldn't want to drop a bucketload of cash on something from Malle only to discover it doesn't work for you

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

• In the early years of Editions F. Malle, they offered the sample box of all perfumes, then twelve miniatures of 5 ml ea for about $150. I believe the box is now much bigger, and the samples are double the size, i.e. 10ml ea. It was the best thing I could do at the time. I really needed almost 5 ml of Musc Ravageur to finally decide it wasn't made for me (I still adore that perfume!), and it took several wearings before I learned to fully appreciate the extraordinary quality of their - few - masculines, like Vetiver and Epices. .Even though it costs the equivalent of three bottles I would love to buy the new set of samples if I didn't have the smaller one already. But if Palais Shiseido would offer something simmilar for their non export line I would make space for it in my vexed budget!
    Last edited by narcus; 8th October 2008 at 08:15 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

before buying full bottles it's wise to test the scents ordering samples for sure. Said that, my advice is to try Musc Ravageur, Eau d'Hiver, Bigarrade Concentrée, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Noir Epices and Iris Poudre.

I've been burned in the past with blind buys. Sometimes I've actually greatly enjoyed something, but I've found that sampling first not only ensures you will enjoy your new purchase, but you will feel more connected to it because you really put some thought and consideration into it. Sample away!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    • In the early years of Editions F. Malle, they offered the sample box of all perfumes, then twelve miniatures of 5 ml ea for about $150. I believe the box is now much bigger, and the samples are double the size, i.e. 10ml ea.
    I was wondering where those 5ml bottles came from... I have a few of these that someone put on eBay. Nowadays people break up the 3x10ml travel sprayers and sell them individually on eBay. This is the best, and maybe only, way to get a good sample of an FM without paying through the nose. Unfortunately some sellers jack up the prices on the most popular FMs (like Musc R going for $40/10ml), but if you're patient you can get deals. I just picked up an Un Rose 10ml for $19, and previously I got a Vetiver and Iris P for about $15/each.

Personally I'm most taken by En Passant. A truly realistic interpretation of lilac. Bottle worthy for me.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I agree with everything that people have said. Sometimes we have to be patient -- though that is hard.
    I was in a wonderful store that had the entire line. I sniffed each one on a strip of paper. Some were nice (but nothing more), some didn't suit me at all.
    Only one suited me -- and I love it. Bois D'Orage. But it suited me not because it was better than the others but because the style is a style I like (very dry, austere, resinous).
    There is nothing that can replace sampling. Even things that look good "on paper" (the ingredients) can be irritating or weak when you try them.
    If the scent is inexpensive, you might take a chance. We've all done that. But it is a pity to spend money that you might spend of scents you really like.
    Good Luck!
    I purchased Bois D'Orage (french lover) today. Have been thinking about Malle and S. Lutens for some time. Tried "Arabie" by Lutens and a couple of the Malle's. The Arabie was just "too much" for me today. Ended up with French lover. For me right now anyway, it is a sort of non perfume frag.. Dry, austere, like the writer above explains. My wife likes it, and I hope to. Will follow up with comments in a day or two.
    Last edited by richard d; 9th October 2008 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I've been burned in the past with blind buys. Sometimes I've actually greatly enjoyed something, but I've found that sampling first not only ensures you will enjoy your new purchase, but you will feel more connected to it because you really put some thought and consideration into it. Sample away!
    What he said!!! I bought Musc Ravageur blind.(Iknew better) It was not for me.

I bought Musc Ravageur as a blind buy (after I read all the reviews I could find). It's fair to say that it isn't the logical thing to do as I acted impulsively; Delayed gratification is the way to go with fragrance, put in the effort for enhanced appreciation ;-).
    Bottom line - I loved the scent and it worked on my skin but that was just luck, just like a blind date it could have gone horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would not recommend any blind purchases - especially something as expensive as Malle fragrances. I personally have tried the entire line. While I found them to be "nice", I have not felt any were bottle worthy.

You should try to order/obtain samples first, then make your decision.

Good luck!

I totally agree here; they are nice and somewhat overrated by my opinion. People will rant about Musc Ravageur but too me, its pure cinnamon buns. Its great if you like baking goods. If you were insistent on buying blind, I would recommend Bois d'Orage. Better for women's scents, which consist of some awesome feminine roses.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Simple thing is to call them up or go online to their website, do the survey thing/section and hopefully you'll hear from them in a couple of days. There very nice they'll gladly send you two 5ml samples for free of what you think best describes your tastes and your personality. But I did do a blind buy of Musc and well I like it, so I would say its all about luck and you connecting with the smellie, which as we all know is not an exact science. ;-) anyway good luck and keep us posted.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Musc Ravageur to me isn't risque at all. It's the most wearable of the Malles I've sampled. It's mild and quite cuddly, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price. I can recognise that Carnal Flower is very good, spewing spiked clouds of natural tuberose and all, but I won't be able to wear it since it's too sharp. French Lover is more easily wearable, but I suspect few people will be utterly amazed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    Musc Ravageur to me isn't risque at all. It's the most wearable of the Malles I've sampled. It's mild and quite cuddly, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price. I can recognise that Carnal Flower is very good, spewing spiked clouds of natural tuberose and all, but I won't be able to wear it since it's too sharp. French Lover is more easily wearable, but I suspect few people will be utterly amazed by it.
    I agree. I bought French Lover yeserday, was not amazed and traded it back for Carnal Flower. I am wearing CF today, like it but would say a dab will do you.

Musc Ravageur
    Une Rose
    Noir Epices

As many have said in previous posts, sample and wear a few times before investing in a bottle.

Not a recommendation as per se, but you will enjoy reading this article on Malle (and his expansion plans):

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...rs-952203.html
    -

thnx for the suggestions everybody! im going to london next month and ill pay a visit to les senteurs...so ill take off my blindfold (for now!) and i just have to wait just like everybody else!
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

Whilst i would say go to Les Senteurs, as it's a fragrance nut shop heaven. I'd also add go to Liberty's. As they now sell Frederic Malle fragrances too, and have 3 of the scent chambers described in the Indie article. Bought some L'eau d'Hiver there today, but after having tried a couple of nearby Serge Lutens, my nose couldn't handle a try in them. Did try Noir Epices on a card, which is very interesting. Think i'll be going back to try those scent chambers though!! The FM part of the store is unbelievably chic and stylish too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwizz View Post
    Whilst i would say go to Les Senteurs, as it's a fragrance nut shop heaven. I'd also add go to Liberty's. As they now sell Frederic Malle fragrances too, and have 3 of the scent chambers described in the Indie article. Bought some L'eau d'Hiver there today, but after having tried a couple of nearby Serge Lutens, my nose couldn't handle a try in them. Did try Noir Epices on a card, which is very interesting. Think i'll be going back to try those scent chambers though!! The FM part of the store is unbelievably chic and stylish too.
    thanks bigwizz! yeah dont know where...but i read that liberty now has FM...so cant wait!!!
    Items for Sale

-Michael Edwards