Code of Conduct

Default Drug Store Wardrobe

I have been thinking about making a small wardrobe exclusively out of drug store scents. The rules for this collection are...

1.) The entire lot must remain under $40.00.
    2.) You must select one "night time scent," "one daytime scent," "one casual date scent,"
    and "one wild card" of your choosing (bonus points to anyone that can cover the
    seasonal aspect of their wardrobe).
    3.) No designer scents allowed. (I.E. anything made by coty, jovan, stetson, etc. is what
    you want to include.)

I'm going to wear this small wardrobe exclusively for a month and observe the reactions, and comments I get from others. I figured that maybe this experiment would finally put the "what colognes get you the most female compliments" threads to bed, and help me slow down my "pocket draining" buying habits.

In my next post in this thread I will inform anyone else who is interested in participating what my 4 selections are. Anyone else interested in doing this experiment, let us know what your selections are and keep us updated on your findings in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drug Store Wardrobe

Playboy baby! Why am I up right now? Has to do with my adrenaline rush from Playboy Vegas! Okay so not really its from taking too much Ginseng right before bed because I though it was Milk Thistle (same size/color bottle and apparently I'm illiterate).

But Playboy Vegas has proven (not really proven jack schitt aside from that I'm a marketers dream idiot) to be PIMP material. Playboy Hollywood is also PIMP (its actually an uninspired clone of Armani Code).

Jovan is always a winner in my heart with Sex Appeal and the VELVA and SPICE are unmatched. And give it up for Pinaud (the TRUE French fragrance). 4711 is a nice pick me up as well.

On a serious note, Beckham Intimately Night is a fragrance that can hang with most designer scents and surpasses many. You gotta love Antonio Banderas' Spirit too. Rock on brother!

Night: Playboy Hollywood, Jovan Sex Appeal, Playboy Vegas, Beckham Intimately Night, Banderas Spirit
    Day: Jovan White Musk, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, 4711, Pinaud Bay Rum

Who needs niche when you got drugstore quality??? I'm giving away all my niches fragrances I think.

Cheers,
    Al

Seriously, if anyone PMs me asking about free niche fragrances, you really have to put the crack pipe down. Part of the above is in jest but I really do love Intimately Night.
    Last edited by anak; 8th October 2008 at 09:00 AM.

I'm familiar with those playboy scents, and even those would get noticed more often then many of the designer and niche fragrances. However, I wanted to even eliminate the celeb scents from this experiment (Beckham, Banderas, etc.). I was considering the following...

OS Signature, Stetson Black, Aspen, Adidas Moves, Canoe, and Coty Musk.

The nature of this obsession in the endless spending and the perception of value based on exclusivity is ridiculous. And as many have stated in other posts, there is not a magic juice to get females to throw themselves at you. This is my reasoning for this experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

OS Signature, Stetson Black, Aspen, Adidas Moves, Canoe, and Coty Musk.
    Wouldn't Adidas be a designer?
    Interesting idea. However, I think you may be missing some of what drives people's interests and collections.. You wouldn't tell someone who collects Hummel figurines that their interests should be sufficiently satisfied with G.I. Joes and Muscle Men. I know that's taken a bit extreme but saying the obsession is nothing more than endless spending and ridiculous exclusivity is no less extreme.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

i would choose frags of ulric de varens ( and i find here always pierre cardin scents like revealation or emotion ).
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Don't forget Brut and Preferred Stock.

The Adidas line is made by Coty, so it passes. Anyway, I wasn't ranting about passionate collectors who have amassed collections that bring them a lot of personal joy due to the scents themselves. I just think the snobs and those in search of the magic female magnet fragrance are chasing something that doesn't exist. Always something too exclusive out of your reach, and females will always have varying tastes.
    By the way jrd4t, I checked out your wardrobe and that picture of your collection is quite impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no urge to do this but I have often thought about this idea to see how it is pulled off. More power to you. I'm almost at my magical 5 for awhile since that is probably as many as I will ever have at once...overall.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 8th October 2008 at 01:49 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

The Adidas line is made by Coty, so it passes. Anyway, I wasn't ranting about passionate collectors who have amassed collections that bring them a lot of personal joy due to the scents themselves. I just think the snobs and those in search of the magic female magnet fragrance are chasing something that doesn't exist. Always something too exclusive out of your reach, and females will always have varying tastes.
    By the way jrd4t, I checked out your wardrobe and that picture of your collection is quite impressive.
    Coty also does Jil Sander, Davidoff, Calvin Klein, Joop, Mark Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood and scores of others, so your Adidas argument doesn't ride

You're certainly right that price doesn't correlate with female attraction, but that's not an issue for most people here. A drugstore fragrance vwill rarely give you good ingredients though, like real neroli or top shelf synthetic musks - that is an issue . And finally, most drugstore frags do smell awful and exchangeable. A number of decent ones mentioned here are rare exceptions. But in any event, good luck with the experiment!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Beckham and most other celeb scents ar also by Coty. Check out Coty.com. Calvin Klein is by Coty too as are the Chopard scents. But take it all away and give me my Jovan!!!!!!

Cheers,
    Al

Ok the Adidas line is out. I will strictly do this with "old school" drug store brands, though OS Signature, and Stetson Black are fairly new.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Hummer cologne. I actually prefer H2 to the original hummer. It makes an excellent fall scent.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy I know wears Aspen with quiet arrogance - nattily dressed and smelling crisp and clean. Amazing what can be achieved with spending $9.99 on such a pleasing perfume.

Don't know if they are in the drug stores, but I got Victory League, Everlast Original 1910, and Lomani very inexpensively. You might find some of the Samba fragrances there. Samba Nova, Kiss Me, Sexy, French Kiss. and Heat are all good buys. Only French Kiss cost me more than $9.99 (for 100 ml).

Update: Today I wore OS Signature during the day to a positive reception by two middle aged women. As soon as I met up with them they immediately commented on how good i smelled. Immediately I was asked the inevitable question; what are you wearing? I told them "OS." And one of the women could not believe it. She said, There is no way that is an Old Spice product, my grandfather never smelled the way you do right now."

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I cant recall the number of times I was complimented in the past wearing good old Tabac (the original).
    I think I will have to revisit this cheapie classic.

Post Thanks / Like

i get som many compliments on Jovan musk oil...

Post Thanks / Like

Good call on trying to really define "drugstore scent". My drugstore carries Chanel No. 5 and Shalimar....

In addition to the ones mentioned, I think Stetson and Lady Stetson are both very good scents. Also, the newer Axe proximity line is worth a try.