Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can we discuss the Molinards?

I bought a small bottle of MOLINARD DE MOLINARD, when in Nice this September.
    I have just begun wearing it and am very impressed. It's green (blackcurrant buds,
    and cistus, floral (jasmine de Grasse, ylang ylang, rose) and has a great woodsy/
    amber drydown. I like it in a different way to NIRMALA, which is my Diva scent.
    M de M is more demure and ladylike, less obvious and less expansive.

HABANITA I like after the topnotes have dissipated - I can't bear the first half an hour of
    ashtray! The drydown is something else, however. One of the best in perfumery in my
    opinion.

NIRMALA is lush, heady and totally gorgeous. I feel six inches off the ground when wearing it!!
    Those delicious Levantine fruits - mango, grapefruit, lychee, passion fruit and mandarin leave me drooling and the island flowers and jasmine are stunning. The drydown is a vanilla/patchouli dream.

Which Molinard scents have you tried and which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Can we discuss the Molinards?

If AVA GARDNER ( IMO the most beautifull women on the world ) was a perfume she would be HABANITA for sure....

Default Re: Can we discuss the Molinards?

I'm on board with the above !

Iles D'Or, another favorite [ Terry, too !], is similar to Nirmala-
    The M de Molinard, and Molinard de Molinard- are gorgeous green chypres.
    Un Air de Molinard deserves more love- once you sniff, you're hooked-
    This, coming from one who doesn't consider herself a 'floral' type, LOL.
    So seamlessly composed, airy, and exquisite [ I sent this to Jenny of Perfume-Making, who swooned].

Love those Molinards...

I'm with you, Nirmala is my Goddess scent
    Habanita, I expected more from, but am still giving my sample a chance.
    my Nirmala sample was gone long ago, I keep the empty vial around to sniff.
    my samples are from Aedes, where the bottles are $150 plus. I see some Molinards online for $30ish and wonder about the difference.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I visited the perfumery while on my summer hols and bought little bottles of Habanita and Molinard de Molinard. I wish I'd had more time to smell all the perfumes in the shop (there are dozens and dozens) but I was with my family so I didn't want to wear out their patience.

I wasn't knocked out by Nirmala, but I'm not keen on chocolate in fragrance. It was definitely nicer than Angel, which makes me run away, shrieking.

I had smelled Habanita before, thanks to Tao. It's one of those perfumes that just wouldn't get past the focus groups today because it's 'too': 'too big', 'too rich', 'too strong', 'too sexy'... Thank goodness they didn't have focus groups back when it was released, because it's a gem. I like the Ava Gardner comparison. She'd never get on the screen nowadays, and what a tragedy that would be.

Molinard de Molinard took me by surprise. It leapt up at me when I sampled it, and reminded me of a very posh suncream I had when I was a teenager. I had loved the scent of the cream, so bought the perfume. Since then I have worn it a lot as it's beautifully fresh but also complex and elegant, unlike so many fresh scents. It's completely uncharacteristic for me, as I'm usually a gourmand/oriental gal, but knocking around with Basenoters is obviously broadening my mind.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Count me in among the Molinard fans!

Love Iles d'Or (yes Chaya, me too!), Un Air de Molinard. Nirmala has a dry, almost dusty chocolate note that I'm crazy for. Beautiful frags.

Molinard Les Senteurs (in the cobalt blue bottles) are wonderful as well: Patchouli is velvety, smooth and rich, with an almost chocolatey undertone. Ambre is a nice, medium weight amber, not too sweet, not too sharp. I'd love to try Heliotrope and Mimosa (and I think there's a Violette, too.)

Regarding the difference between those $$$ bottles at Aedes and the cheaper ones online, I think it's in the concentration -- the $$$ bottles are eau de parfum, the cheaper ones online eau de toilette. The lasting power for the edt is pretty good on me - five or six hours. Not bad, given my dry skin doesn't always hold a scent very well.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a sample of M but was not impressed either way, good or bad.
    It was "meh." Maybe I had an off day and should re-try it.
    Habanita was remarkable--bold, amazing--but I don't like smoke, generally speaking.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 8th October 2008 at 12:58 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another Mol de Mol fan here. Sadly DH doesn't "get it" or I'd wear it more often. It is serene, as you mentioned in SotD, kewart. And it's not anybody's smell-alike. As a fan of green scents, that's really saying something.

I found Habanita too big. Or maybe it found me too small, but I respect it. Nirmala I tested repeatedly against Angel and Nuits de Noho, and NdN won that competition for me (however now I never reach for it).

As far as product comparisons, I believe the "bargain" Molinards are every bit as good as the new, expensive re-issues and variations offered by Aedes, plus the bottles are just as pretty.

Mol de Mol is one of those scents I might never have sought to sample on my own, but, as Wordbird implies, the influence of Basenoters (such as the lovely ComDiva) has broadened my experience.

I am so confident in the quality of Molinard products that I'd readily sample any others they produced.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Hi Kewart
    It's "Smedley" from POL !

Not surprisingly, because we share similar tastes in fragrances, I thoroughly enjoy my Molinards.
    I have, and enjoy, Molinard de Molinard, Habanita, Nirmala, Iles d'Or, and Fleurs De Figuier (fig tree leaves, ivy greens, galbanum, fig tree flower, and cedarwood).

Molinard and Fragonard. The "old" houses from the Perfume Center of the World -- Grasse, France -- excel at making beautiful fragrances that are well-constructed, use quality ingredients, and are reasonably priced.
    These venerable houses deserve far more attention and respect -- although, there are many of us Perfumistas who recognize their artistry.

Nirmala and Habanita are two of my favorites. I also have a bottle of Un Air D'Habanita, which I got on the cheap at a discount store. Un Air isn't very memorable but it's nice.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927