Code of Conduct

Question Dk Fuel Longevity/ Sillage

Hey Guys! I just wanted to see if I could guage the collective minds here at BN for an answer to something that is currently puzzling me. On the heels of all the praise of DK fuel, I ordered a small sample of it from TPC. Having never smelled it before I was bowled over by just how amazing it smelled on me. I was about to order myself a bottle of the new stuff at Bergdorf Goodman, when that heavenly aroma that I was smelling sort of dissapeared. The longevity is below average (i.e 3-4 hours) but the real problem is the sillage. It is AMAZING for a half hour or so, after which I need to bury my nose in my wrist to get anything at all. I do have dry skin, but I dont think that is the problem because even for something light like MI I can get 5+ hours. I contacted TPC and they informed that the sample was indeed from an older bottle. My question is, do you think this is attributed more so to an old bottle or my skin chemistry. And anyone that has had an opportunity to smell both the new version and the old one can you compare both there longevity and sillage put out.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Dk Fuel Longevity/ Sillage

I have the new one and some left from my old bottle ,and the fresh stuff lasts extremely well on me.
    If MI lasts good on you, you should not have problems with this one. 4 till 6 hrs comes close enough.

By the way, you say a longevity from 3 till 4 hrs is below average? I think thats good to me. With new fragrances these days I'm happy if I get a longevity from 2 hrs.

If you have dry skin,..hmm I dunno. Maybe you can ask Bergdorf to send a sample from the new stuff first?

The old bottle one doesn't last longer anyway, but I suppose this bottle is about ten years old. I'll keep the bottle for memory sake.
    Last edited by eric; 8th October 2008 at 02:21 PM.

Thats a really good idea! I think I will see if Bergdorf can send me a sample. In regards to longevity, I work in an office with little physical activity invloved. I really try to make sure that the frags I have last me at least 4 hours because Im not able/nor want to refresh throughout the day. So, 4 hours is pretty much the minimum for me.

On me, the longlivety is amazing.. and if u got the sample from the miniatures-colognes, the longlivety there is wery bad compare to the real stuf, cos the miniature is a eau de cologne and the new stuff at bergdorf is a strong eu de toilette, almost eu de parfume i think..

if i spray a little (half a spray) on my shirtneck, i smell it all day after, and the smell on there keeps the top-notes much longer to =)

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I dont think it was a miniature, I think it was decanted from an older bottle though. Your words are very reassuring though.

But have this in mind to: There are some people here who claim that its longlivety is bad.. depends on the skintype offcourse, but longlivety or not, its to good not to wear and own..

Hi all. I am new to posting, but not new to DK Fuel being a fan since it came out. It was love at first sniff and it immediately moved to my favorite fragrance and stayed there for many years. (maybe still is)

I can attest your sample was tainted somehow. DK Fuel has both --great longevity as well as terrific sillage. I'd say anyone in your inner circle(maybe 3 feet radius) to you will pick up on the scent well past 4 hours. I too have problems with many scents lasting but this isn't one of them.

My recommendation if you like the scent at all, don't hesitate to order it. Even to this day it is unique in the fragrance world.

Well that does it !. You guys have pushed me over the edge. It was between this and SL Gris Clair for my next bottle purchase when I get paid next Wednesday, but its looking more and more like it will be Fuel. I have some samples coming in from Lucky Scent at the end of the week and if something doesnt completely knock my socks off then I will be purchasing DK Fuel first thing after work on Wednesday.

Blog Entries

it has poor longetivity and medium to poor sillage...

not really a scent which will break out of the shell and say "SMELL ME!"....it's one that's very subtle...and hidden like a spy.

good stuff, but it wouldn't be so loved if it hadn't been discontinued i think...

Everso, Ive been reading the boards for months now and know your the go to guy when it comes to leather. Do you have any recommendation for an approachable leather thats suitable for a young guy (Im only 21). The only other leather prominent frag Ive tried was REL and that was WAY too much for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Everso, Ive been reading the boards for months now and know your the go to guy when it comes to leather. Do you have any recommendation for an approachable leather thats suitable for a young guy (Im only 21). The only other leather prominent frag Ive tried was REL and that was WAY too much for me.
    hey man, if you can score a bottle of Helmut Lang Cuiron....you will own the finest modern leather fragrance around, IMO.....it's not over the top and it is very versatile. It's got a very fine, rich suede and leather core which is surrounded by plum and a little bit of citrus. Very unique stuff.

it's a little hard/expensive to find. there are regularly 1.6oz bottles on Ebay for about $70 or $80....but well worth it......if there is any blind buy i would recommend, it would be that....some people may not agree. It's a great scent though.

I really appreciate it everso. Off to TPC I go.

Sur la Plage

I think it has excellent sillage and longevity.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it has excellent sillage and longevity.
    Have you had an opportunity to try the re-issued juice. Im starting to believe more and more that the sample that I have may be just from an old bottle and doesnt accurately reflect the fresh stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    it has poor longetivity and medium to poor sillage...

not really a scent which will break out of the shell and say "SMELL ME!"....it's one that's very subtle...and hidden like a spy.

good stuff, but it wouldn't be so loved if it hadn't been discontinued i think...
    Poor longevity? subtle? you gotta be kidding me. I think it has excelent longevity. I have more expensive scents in my collection, that bow their heads in shame for this one. I think it's comparable to , let's say, Egoistes longevity.
    You sure you're not speaking about Cuiron, cause to me , that's the one with the poor longevity. Don't even smell the leather in that one. All I get is some sweetish , musky, fruitish something.(and made by Procter &Gamble, of all companies..)
    Last edited by eric; 8th October 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Poor longevity? subtle? you gotta be kidding me. I think it has excelent longevity. I have more expensive scents in my collection, that bow their heads in shame for this one. I think it's comparable to , let's say, Egoistes longevity.
    You sure you're not speaking about Cuiron, cause to me , that's the one with the poor longevity. Don't even smell the leather in that one. All I get is some sweetish , musky, fruitish something.(and made by Procter &Gamble, of all companies..)
    i disagree with basically every word in your post

cheers!

O boy! What to do now. I realize that individuals will vary, but those are 2 incredibly extreme opinions. Its unfortunate that I dont have the opportunity to visit Bergdorf's. Again anyone that has experience with the new stuff feel free to offer your opinion. I cant make up my mind!

Blog Entries

O boy! What to do now. I realize that individuals will vary, but those are 2 incredibly extreme opinions. Its unfortunate that I dont have the opportunity to visit Bergdorf's. Again anyone that has experience with the new stuff feel free to offer your opinion. I cant make up my mind!
    it's a very nice scent...you can't go wrong buying it. people's skin types differ...as well as their methods of applying. get it!

I noticed on the new packaging that it is marked as an 'eau de parfum'. Unless there are two new versions of Fuel, then this the edp appelation is a pleasant surprise to me.

The following link allows you to magnify the picture of the new Fuel packaging and you'll see the 'eau de parfum'.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Ph...8433&ThumbID=1
    Last edited by graffham; 9th October 2008 at 01:12 AM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Thanks graffham! Thats really good news. You guys are really great help.

I have one of the original bottles from the 90's. It has good longevity but I notice the sillage is only strong for the first 2 hours. After that it stays close to the skin for another 4-6 hours on me. But even at first spray, it's nowhere near as loud as A*men.

Sur la Plage

Have you had an opportunity to try the re-issued juice. Im starting to believe more and more that the sample that I have may be just from an old bottle and doesnt accurately reflect the fresh stuff.
    Yes I have. I have had no sillage or longevity issues with either the old or new versions.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th October 2008 at 04:18 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    I noticed on the new packaging that it is marked as an 'eau de parfum'. Unless there are two new versions of Fuel, then this the edp appelation is a pleasant surprise to me.

The following link allows you to magnify the picture of the new Fuel packaging and you'll see the 'eau de parfum'.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Ph...8433&ThumbID=1
    That is quite bizarre as I have the new stuff and it definitely says "Eau de Toilette" on the box and the bottom of the bottle.

In terms of longevity/sillage, I'll just say that on me the new stuff is the same as the old stuff.

This is an interesting thread, as I have purchased the reissued Fuel and Chaos...

I already owned the original Black Cashmere, and just for fun I decided to do a direct comparison between old and new BC. To my surprise I found the new one substantially different. It was weaker, had less bite in the top notes and only aligned with the older one in the distant dry down.

This direct comparison gave me bit of a fright, as I never smelled the originals of Fuel or Chaos, so I have no basis of comparison, but have to wonder of changes hadn't been to this pair too...

I do love the reissued Fuel and Chaos, however, so perhaps I will just make it a point to never smell the originals...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Smile Re: Dk Fuel Longevity/ Sillage

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    That is quite bizarre as I have the new stuff and it definitely says "Eau de Toilette" on the box and the bottom of the bottle.

In terms of longevity/sillage, I'll just say that on me the new stuff is the same as the old stuff.
    lol, dude you must really be in heaven.... ;-)
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Weird indeed. Mine says "eau de toilette" too, although it could have been an edp as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there's only one version of it on the market. Maybe it's just a labeling thing. "Tomato, tomaato".

Lol you guys are great. I will be purchasing the new bottle when I get paid. The stuff is truly heavenly, heres to hoping that the new stuff is a little stronger then the sample I have.

Don't tell the guys on the Guerlain homme (2008) boards, but I'm sure Fuel will certainly have more depth.

In fact, air has more projection than Guerlain homme. ( I returned my bottle and got something which shall remain a secret!)
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.