Code of Conduct

Question Herbal notes on a warm breeze... "garrigue"

I'd like to get people's thoughts and suggestions for a specific type of scent.

“Garrigue” is a Provençal French term for the smells of wild resinous herbs (e.g., thyme, lavender, rosemary) as they grow in the hot baked earth. Many wines from this region, are described as having a garrigue aroma and flavor. Garrigue (sometimes spelled garigue) literally means a thicket or bunch of low bushes. This sounds very nice to me, I like the elements here. It sounds masculine without being heavy. Probably the chypre family of scent, right?

What are some scents in this line?
    * Miller & Bertaux’s Green, green, green and green lists garrigue as one of the fragrance notes. I’ve tried it, and like it.
    * Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier has a scent called Garrigue. I haven’t tried it yet.
    * Gli Odori by Bois 1920 doesn’t use the word garrigue but the evocation of herbs in clay windowsill pots clearly suggests that sort of thing. I’ve sampled it, and don’t like it. I get a very strong cumin note that overwhelms the other ingredients.

Any reactions to the above? Any things you've tried and can comment on?
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Herbal notes on a warm breeze... "garrigue"

Byredo Green...

Thanks for that suggestion, jenson.
    I sampled Byredo Green and was quite disappointed in it. It has a promising list of ingredients, but all I got was dreaded vanilla & amber, over and over. In my opinion, it is not a "green" scent at all.
    But I do appreciate your note! Cheers,
    Edit note -- confusion on my part!! Byredo Green is excellent, a lovely violet leaf/green scent. It is like Knize Two, with more prominent florals. My comment above is because I got Green mixed up in my memory with Byredo Gypsy Water.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 30th December 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: correcting error
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hi! I recently sampled LI ALTARELLI by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan, It is described as the perfumer's tribute to Corsica. Here are the listed notes:

TOP: Lemon, Citrus, Resin, Freshly Cut Grass, Galbanum
    HEART: Aromatic Herbs, Aquatic Note, Violet, Lavender, Iris
    BASE: Immortelle, Patchouli

I would maybe call it "garrigue plus"! And I liked it so much that I'm considering buying a bottle. IMO, it would make a lovely summer fragrance for a woman or a man.

Well hi there Haunani! Thanks so much for the great suggestion. It sounds like it is right on the money. I don't know that line (Saint-Aignan). I'll have to keep my radar on full sweep. Is it a very exclusive line? The fact that you like it is a great endorsement!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

I'm not sure if it's along the lines of what you're looking for, but I immediately thought of "Un Jardin Après La Mousson" by Hermes.
    Last edited by baudilus; 9th October 2008 at 12:51 PM.

Thanx baudilus, that is a good suggestion. I'll have to try Mousson again. I had mixed reviews the first time but life is a learning process.
    I think the Jardin line by Hermes is a well-conceived group.
    I love Un Jardin sur le Nil, it is actually similar to M&B G-4 which I'm wearing today. A complex, lovely green scent.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

Blog Entries

Yes, I agree that Mousson is worth multiple sniffs. I love the herbal and spicy topnotes quite a bit. A really excellent green aqua which - unfortunately - I only feel like wearing once in a blue moon. I wish I could love all of this scent, but I simply can't.

I find Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles by The Different Company to be very sharp and herbal - probably not green per se, although perhaps garrigue in the baked earth sort of way, in the sense of dried herbs. Definitely worth a sniff.

Hey there, Redneck, thanks for this. The nice people from the "poetic scents" thread are weighing in.
    I hear you on Mousson. The mango note and the aquatic note are limiting factors for me... otherwise I like it. Jardin sur le Nil and Mediteranee are very good, IMO.
    I shamefully admit that I haven't tried any The Different Company, although I've heard of it. I haven't stumbled across anyplace locally that has it. But those charming leaves sound great. I really can't have enough of something herbal, I love that sort of scent. So many thanks, I'll add that to the "hopper."
    Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 10th October 2008 at 01:40 AM.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Well hi there Haunani! Thanks so much for the great suggestion. It sounds like it is right on the money. I don't know that line (Saint-Aignan). I'll have to keep my radar on full sweep. Is it a very exclusive line? The fact that you like it is a great endorsement!
    Aloha to you, Odysseusm! So glad that you like the sound of Li Altarelli. I think it's pretty special. Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan has a website that's mostly in French, but you're Canadian so maybe that's OK! Luckyscent carries her fragrances. I'd offer you the rest of my sample, but it's down to a few drops (though if I buy my bottle soon, I will let you know). Happy hunting!

Aloha to you, Haunani. Nice to get further views.
    I'll go to the LS site and check it out. I'll probably add it to my next sample list, I've had lots of nice things from them.
    I look forward to further suggestions. This sort of scent seems a perfect "lock" on my personality type... some sort of previous life affinity, perhaps! :-)
    Last edited by odysseusm; 30th December 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    odysseusm

Have you considered any Diptyques? They seem to do a lot of green and herbal fragrances. Unfortunately, the first ones that come to mind--l'Eau Trois and Virgilio--are both being discontinued.

Great suggestions, great minds think alike!!
    I did not list them, but L'Eau Trois especially and to a lesser extent Virgilio are that sort of scent exactly. Don't know why I forgot them. And I have my bottles of them! Pity that they are being discontinued. I fear that this sort of scent is so niche that it won't have critical-mass support.
    Basile Uomo is a good alternative to Virgilio.
    And Eau D'Hadrien is somewhat like L'Eau Trois.
    odysseusm

I just remembered that Eau D'Italie by the company of the same name has citrus and herbal notes uniquely framed by terracotta/clay. That is meant to evoke the scents of soaps and lotions at a hotel spa. I like that scent a lot.
    odysseusm

I am from Marseille, south of France, "la garrigue" is from this place!
    For me there is only one perfume close to that : Yatagan.

Romeo Gigli Suid-Est. Discontinued, but still available here and there. It's a dry herbal sans immortelle, quite unique and wonderful and very "garrigue"

Basil, Bergamot, Hyacynth, Jasmine.
    Rosemary, Artemisia, Thyme, Bay Leaf, Coriander, Cinnamon.
    Woody, Musks, Balsams.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Diptyque Virgilio has definitely a herbal thyme theme
    AdP Mirto: mirtle, rosemary....
    Yatagan: lavender, pine needles, angelica root....
    Paco Rabanne PH with his sage blast

Maybe Santa Maria Novella´s Pot Pourri could work here?
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Smile Re: Herbal notes on a warm breeze... "garrigue"

On me GARRIGUE by MPG is very similar to Creed GREEN IRISH TWEED or KNIZE FOREST..

Hey Odysseum! I was just reading The Guide yesterday and skimmed over to a favorite, Eau Noir by Dior, and Turin mentioned that the inclusion of immortelle AND lavender in the same fragrance (thus spicy and herbal come together in harmony) results in a garrigue sensation. Just another perhaps less likely candidate to add to the list
    Last edited by nthny; 14th October 2008 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks to all for these great suggestions! I thought I was in left field but I'm glad to see that some others like this sort of thing too! And it is fun to see my thread "heat up."
    Cheers, everybody, I'll be happy looking for these suggestions, and I look forward to others.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I find Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles by The Different Company to be very sharp and herbal - probably not green per se, although perhaps garrigue in the baked earth sort of way, in the sense of dried herbs. Definitely worth a sniff.
    *sniffs self* Yup, my SotD - and would say it fits the bill of "garrigue" - however - it's soft and flowing and not very earthy. On the other hand, I'm very pleased at how it never becomes a pretty little sweet thing and remains herbal and interesting all the way from top to bottom.

Pipao from Florascent.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

A few that fit the "garrique" idea are Querelle by Parfumerie Generale. It is green galbanum + very dry herbal note of black caraway that gives this a dry green tone that is striking and very unusual. Also a garrigue of garden herbs that is a little sunnier in disposition is L' Eau Neuve by Lubin that also has a few aromatic herbs in the mix as well. Another that reminds me of garrigue is Let Me Play the Lion by LesNez which has a dry woody almost dusty treatment of a wide variety of aromatic herbal greens. LMPTL is sort of a high plains desert garrique type fragrance.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 14th October 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Let me play the Lion smells like the bush in Kenya ... I love it as well, very sexy on a man.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I find that MPG's Garrigue has (at least what I think is) a prominent sage note, and is considerably sweeter than Green Irish Tweed. I like it very much. It's very refreshing and uplifting. In fact, I fancy it helps me to see what the ancients who gave "sage" its name were getting at.

Thumbs up Re: Herbal notes on a warm breeze... "garrigue"

I mentioned this in an earlier comment, but since I'm wearing it today I'll say a bit more.
    Annick Goutal's Eau D'Hadrien is superb. It has a great citrus-herbal chord, but for me the distinctive winner is the earthy/woody cypress. It is just so satisfying. Some complain about the longevity but it works fine for me... five hours later it is still going strong. And really, that cypress note has depth and puts the puck in the net.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Hi! I recently sampled LI ALTARELLI by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan, It is described as the perfumer's tribute to Corsica. Here are the listed notes:

TOP: Lemon, Citrus, Resin, Freshly Cut Grass, Galbanum
    HEART: Aromatic Herbs, Aquatic Note, Violet, Lavender, Iris
    BASE: Immortelle, Patchouli

I would maybe call it "garrigue plus"! And I liked it so much that I'm considering buying a bottle. IMO, it would make a lovely summer fragrance for a woman or a man.
    Well, many thanks to Haunani for this suggestion, and the nice sample. This is an excellent example of exactly that sort of scent. I love it! It is fresh, lemony, with wonderful green/herbal notes and an earthy quality from the lavender and violet flowers. This is great stuff!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

I think MPG's Grain de Plaisir fits the bill.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Maybe Santa Maria Novella´s Pot Pourri could work here?
    Indeed it would -- I'd love to hear comments about that. If I ever can try it, I certainly will!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Romeo Gigli Suid-Est. Discontinued, but still available here and there. It's a dry herbal sans immortelle, quite unique and wonderful and very "garrigue"

Basil, Bergamot, Hyacynth, Jasmine.
    Rosemary, Artemisia, Thyme, Bay Leaf, Coriander, Cinnamon.
    Woody, Musks, Balsams.
    Many thanks for this great suggestion! Aiona kindly sent me a sample. This is a terrific scent. Very herbal, with distinct notes. Powerful, very satisfying! A must-buy for me now! Cheers,
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, I agree that Mousson is worth multiple sniffs. I love the herbal and spicy topnotes quite a bit. A really excellent green aqua which - unfortunately - I only feel like wearing once in a blue moon. I wish I could love all of this scent, but I simply can't.

I'm interested in trying Mousson. Would you say Mousson is less feminine than Jardin Sur Le Nil ?

My ranking of the Jardin line is: Nil (by a long shot), Mediteranee (not bad for a fig scent), Mousson (don't care for the melon/aquatic note at all). I don't find Nil to be feminine at all -- to me it seems dry, green, quietly assertive, interesting.
    odysseusm

My favorite garrigue fragrances are L'Eau Trois - which you know well - and Miller Harris' Fleurs de Sel, a very refined and salty take on the accord.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 31st December 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Here's a candidate for this category:
    Profumo di Pantelleria by the company Profumi di Pantelleria.
    Fragrance notes: sweet orange, bitter orange, lemon, lavender, rosemary, zagara, jasmine, geranium, basil, thyme, patchouli, ambergris, oak moss.
    So it has the requisite citrus and resinous herbal notes of a garrigue scent. This is a smooth (rather than crisp) scent. It has pleasing citrus notes, and some faint herbals. The scent is very genteel, lacking a certain wild abandon that I romantically look for in this type of scent. Also the final drydown moves from a soapy/clean vibe to a salty/mossy one.
    Has anyone tried this ??
    odysseusm

Here is a great one to add to the list:
    L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumer.
    Lovely, very natural notes of lemon, verbena, basil, and mint. This is as cheery and refreshing as a breeze on a summer day.
    odysseusm

Here is a new entry for this type of scent:

Coral Shell/Corallo by Ortigia
    “Dry aromatic Mediterranean plants: helichrysum [everlasting flower], cistus [labdanum], wild fennel, rosemary, oregano, mint, thyme, nutmeg, pine, balsamic herbs, cypress tree musk and estragon [tarragon].” From website, www.ortigia-srl.com

Well, when I saw these ingredients, I thought my dream of the perfect garrigue scent had been realized. When I was in the Ortigia shop in London, I tried it on, liked it, and bought a bottle.
    At home, I find it is a bit more challenging than I realized. My sense of the Ortigia line is that it is they have agreeable, attractively packaged scents. The shop is lovely; with bottles, packages, and bath products very strikingly displayed. Perhaps many of their scents are conventional; the ones I sniffed seemed nice.
    But Corallo is something quite different! It is very powerful. In fact, I’d say don’t over-apply at first. It grows and gets bigger as you wear it. Less is more, here.
    The opening is marvelously dry and herbal. It is VERY minty and a bit coniferous – like eucalyptus, it has a medicinal quality. At this stage it is a deeply green scent, a dark-dark green cool forest blended with lots of complex herbs and a touch of licorice from the fennel. This is an assertive scent like Pino Silvestre, but with more depth and complexity. So far, I’m a happy camper.
    Then, Corallo develops a hay/grassy field quality which gets sweeter. This is the tarragon taking over! This herb gets REALLY big, and blends with the cypress tree musk to make a formidable, almost daunting combination. Now I like herbs, but even I found this a bit much!
    Finally, several hours later, the tarragon burns off and there is a nice light-green musk.
    What an experience! It’s not for the faint of heart, and probably not for many. I can appreciate it, and will wear it again, and will seek to understand it better.
    If I could tweak it, I would have more pine and less tarragon. But then I’m an old cone-head. Has anyone else tried this?
    odysseusm

Iskander by Parfum D'Empire

Cedrat, mandarine orange, grapefruit, neroli
    Tarragon, coriander, cedar
    Oakmoss, white musk, amber

I'm glad to post a new entry for the garrigue category. I have reviewed this, but my comments there don't reflect my current take on the fragrance. When I first sampled it, it didn't make much of an impression on me. As I prepared for my trip to the UK, I knew I'd be visiting Les Senteurs so I tried it again. I liked it, a lot. When I was in the shop I bought a bottle, and I'm glad I did. I don't know the reason for my turn-around. I'm able to get many more notes out of this than I did previously. I think this shows that we need to give scents a chance, sometimes we have off days and things don't register. When the editing feature returns, I revise my comments. For now, here they are:

Iskander has a lovely lemony-citrus opening which is fresh and crisp. There are green herbal (even a bit minty) notes from the tarragon, yet this is a restrained treatment compared to that in Ortigia's Coral Shell. There is a bit of peppery spice from the coriander, and faint woody-fresh notes from cedar. The citrus notes are commendable, in that they are not only attractive but persistent. The white musk is light, and a good compliment to the other notes. Thankfully, the amber is restrained. There is a very satisfying drydown, a bit salty from the moss.

This is an excellent Mediterranean-style scent, a worthy occupant of the garrigue category. It is a bit like Borsari, but fresher and more subtle.
    odysseusm

Guerlain Sous Le Vent springs to mind...

Notes include: basil, bergamot, lavender, tarragon, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods, patchouli.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Hmmm... or Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea which is herbal to begin with, though, may get a bit floral later on, as I recall.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Agree with the references to the sadly discontinued Virgilio by Diptyque. Why o why!! Virgilio for me was much superior in bath products on me rather than a personal fragrance. Sprayed on, it had the tendency to smell too much like oregano in its interaction with my skin. As a soap or a bath gel, however, it turned the morning shower into a bit of green heaven.

Today I'm wearing a very worthy claimant to the garrigue name: Acqua Classica by Borsari. It has citrus, sage, geranium, sandalwood, light leather and oakmoss elements. It projects a citrus and green-herbal vibe that suits me just fine on a warm day. I think it is very classy.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Today I'm wearing a very worthy claimant to the garrigue name: Acqua Classica by Borsari. It has citrus, sage, geranium, sandalwood, light leather and oakmoss elements. It projects a citrus and green-herbal vibe that suits me just fine on a warm day. I think it is very classy.
    I have meant to try this one for some time. Thanks for the reminder!

I suppose Platinum Egoiste by Chanel would fit your terms loosely. It has breezey herbal qualities over a warm, mossy base. And it's designer, but it's Chanel so the quality is superb.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 4th June 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Would anyone agree that Calvin by Calvin Klein belongs in this category? Lightly applied, I always get a noseful of herbs in a Bay Rum sort of fashion.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

How about a classic non-niche?

Cacheral Pour L'Homme might have what you're looking for. Lemon, bergamot, lavender, nutmeg plus some florals and woods. I definitely get the sense of "herbal notes on a warm (Mediteranen) breeze" when I wear it.

Great complexity, longevity and sillage too.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye