Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New Perfume For Mom

Ok ladies! I need all of your expertise here. My mom has been wearing the same two perfumes FOREVER. She loves her Vera Wang and Beautiful, with my newfound love of fragrance I want to get something new for her as well. Now this is where I need your help. I want to get something a little more upscale than the common designer fair but I have no clue where to start. The only I can gather from her preference in perfume is that she likes florals. All your help is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Perfume For Mom

Maybe my mother is not yours. But the ones I have given to my mother lately (with great success) are Armani White, Versace Chrystal Noir, and Calvin Klein Euphoria Blossom. Not very upscale but nice smelling.

But I am looking forward even more to this year´s birthday since I have bought her a sampler pack from The Perfumed Court: Niche and Classic Beginner Sampler Pack (Perfume Posse Blog picks) - 21 samples.

Of course I have tried all of them (very very little ) and I am thinking of buying her a bottle of Jean Patou 1000 or a decant of Chanel Cuir de Russie for Christmas... Just to have it laying around for myself.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously every mom is unique,but I came to think of my mom who also wears Beautiful.Additional scents that she loves are Sensi, JPG Classique,Coco Chanel Mademoiselle,Pleasures and her latest love Euphoria.She also used to enjoy Eden and Must de Cartier.Hope this helps
    Last edited by ineespenes; 8th October 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I actually got my mom 2 samples (24 and Coco Mademoiselle) and she actually liked both of them, so good recs ineespenes! Keep the ideas coming.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see you are in CT like me. Depending on where you are in the state, you may wish to visit some stores that give out samples:

Nordstrom (Farmington, West Farms mall) carries Annick Goutal (marvelous florals!)
    Sephora-- in Greenwich, at West Farms mall and probably elsewhere too
    J. D.'s Cosmetic essentials in In West Hartford, Westport, Darien and Ridgefield (see their website: http://www.jdscosmeticessentials.com/) I like that store-- they carry non-department store brands including L'Artisan.
    Saks in Greenwich-- Creed, Bond No. 9 and Annick Goutal perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Thank you very much. I live in the Danbury area, but JD's sounds very interesting. There website gives very little info. Do they carry both mens and womens fragrances?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

JD's Fragrance page lists some brands they carry and mentions that they have scents for men. I haven't specifically looked for a man's scent there-- my husband and I each went around sniffing and I'm not sure what he sniffed! But some of the L'Artisan scents are for men or women.

I checked the shops list of the Danbury Fair mall and they list a Sephora store, phone (203)-778-3200 (in case you want to be sure it's still there before going!)

I think you should try Annick Goutal's "Songes"...going to check if I have a sample to send you....

Post Thanks / Like

OOOOOOO Thank you so much!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do have one carded sample of "Songes". If you PM me your address I'll get it out to you in the next day or two. I am coming down with a cold and feel sick so it may be Friday that I mail it.

Post Thanks / Like

My mom has worn Bulgari pour Femme, Sensi, 1000 de Patou and 24 Faubourg for years now. She always replaces her empty bottles with the same ones, so I'll be looking for suggestions as well. What she wears smells very nice, but I want to get her something new this year. I gave her a few samples when I made some cosmetics purchases for her over the summer, and she seemed to go for Dolce & Gabbana's Sicily, which smelled great on her. I also want to explore some of the newer Armani scents for her.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel No. 5 Eau Première
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Les Parfums de Rosine Une Folie de Roses (or any of the Rosines)
    Magic Helvetia La Base
    Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa
    Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengeance
    Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose
    Ellie by Ellie D
    Divine L’âme Sœur
    Parfums de Nicolai Juste un Reve
    Tauer Perfumes Le Maroc pour elle
    Last edited by socalwoman; 9th October 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Chanel No. 5 Eau Première
    Good one. I want that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Pelle's idea is the one we ladies usually recommend when trying to find a fragrance for someone. We seem to have concurred that part of the joy of perfume is the choosing, plus the gift of a basket of samples enables you to start talking together about something that enthuses you. So it's a gift of a part of you too. Metaphorically. I'm not talking about giving away your kidneys. Necessarily.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

My experience in buying my mother perfume is the same. She wore nothing BUT Beautiful for years. I got her Pleasures and she loved the change of pace.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are all amazing help. My burgeoning(sp?) love of fragrance has lead me to want to share it with someone else, and my mom seems to be the most receptive. So, all of your recommendations have been written down and samples will be ordered. This just reiterates why I love basenotes SO MUCH. It's because of the community and YOU GUYS! Thanks so much.

Beautiful actually has quite a fruit hit, so maybe Creed Spring Flower, or for another classic rich floral, Quelques Fleurs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you don't mind another few suggestions, but I must recommend Paris by YSL, Tresor by Lancome, and why not a lovely Guerlain - maybe a few mini's to start!

Red face Re: New Perfume For Mom

How about Chanel Gardenia, Narciso Rodriguez, the new Estee Lauder Private Collection Amber all amazing. My favorite is Hermes Ambre Narguile, How nice of you to get her something,but get it at a store where you can return it if she does not like it. There are some great Bonds, Maybe get her some samples. I adore Nuits de nohjo and Bryant Park and Bond Saks for Her, GOod luck and so nice of you

I recently gave my mom Chanel 31 Rue Cambon and it's her favorite perfuime of all time. It's a real classical beauty. I also recommend Stella (but everyone's mom has that one).