Code of Conduct

Default Don't Mess with The Ruskies!

Folks,

You probably remember that I bought a few Russian perfumes a week ago. It was an impulsive buy, a risky bet. But the perfumes cost less than 7 dollars, so I was not riskying too much. I received the perfumes today, and I must admit, the perfumes are better than I expected. The only real problem is that they substituted one of the perfumes without my approval. I ordered “Moscow Rouge” and they sent me a chocolate-vanilla fragrance that is vile….really horrible. But the other perfumes are quite acceptable. The best one is The Verte, which is a tea perfume with a tea note very much like the one in Bvlgari The Verte by Ellena. The difference is that this one is slightly sharper and not sweet. The other perfumes are:

Forward- A fresh fruity thing, with notes of apple and currant. I didn’t like it very much.

Kremlin- Masculine eau de cologne with dry woods and a touch of citrus. Mediocre but ok.

Kuznetsky Most: very delicate fragrance with lemon and ylang-ylang. I think it is more indicated for teenagers. It is very innocent. Its base somehow reminds me of Lacoste PH (the grey bottle). Actually, the base of all perfumes are quite similar.

Crazy rain: My nose got fatigued at this point. I need more time in order to review it.

I know that the names are ridiculous, but the perfumes are not stinky as other basenoters said. Only the Chocolate one is stinky. From the entire list, I can only really recommend The Verte. All perfumes are lightweight. The surprising thing is that they do not smell artificial…. The notes are quite natural. The longevity is good for lightweight scents.

I’ll post a description of Crazy Rain later.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 9th October 2008 at 12:51 AM.

Default Re: Don't Mess with The Ruskies!

Thanks for the impressions, I hope you like Crazy Rain.

Moscow Rouge, huh? That was probably the first perfume I've smelled intentionally in my life, it was my grandfather's gift to my grandma, some limited edition with the bottle and the cork shaped like the Spasskaya Tower of the Moscow Kremlin. Didn't like it much back than (over 30 years ago), but was forever facinated with perfumes after that...

Just wondering, where did you get these? I might be interested in picking some up for the exocitic's sake.

I bought at www.cosmeticsbag.com .

Those sound not so bad for less than $7.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Ohhhhhh these are Novaya Zarya fragrances!!! They've been around since 1861. In Russia now they are seen as cheap fragrances (think Coty) to the point when I told a Russian girl to bring me some back from Moscow she laughed in my face asking why. I like Barber of Siberia #1 (the chocolate one) very much. They also have Barber of Siberia #3 which smells like CK One.

Dzintars is an ancient Latvian fragrance line that makes similarly charming fragrances.

Cheers,
    Al

Hahaha what a great post about my country. I don't know why but these messages about people trying the Russian perfumes make me laugh.
    Lucius, do you have the legendary Troinoi Eau de Cologne? (Troinoi Odekolon). There were the days when alcohol-addicts used to drink it instead of vodka. I bet some do it nowadays too. It gives you the geniune smell of communism, the glorious Soviet empire.
    Don't mess with the Ruskies

Kremlin is much a wonderful name for a perfume. But so Diman, among the Russian frags that are fairly easy to get abroad, which do you think well of? What are those of us missing who know nothing of Russian perfumery?

I have to tell you guys that the Russia perfume industry is extremely underdeveloped and hardly exists. It is not easy to but russian perfumes even in Russia. All the best perfume stores here sell mostly foreign mainstream perfumes and ignore the Russian products.
    Russia's most famous perffume-maker is called Novaya Zarya (The New Dawn). They do make their own selection of Russian fragrances but they try to imitate foreign analogues. For example, Kuznetsky Most is reminiscent of Lancome's Climate, Russkaya Krasavitsa (Russian Beauty) is very close to Chanel's Mademoiselle, Talisman Lyubvi (Mascot of Love) - to Angel by Thierry Mugler and Zlato Skifov (Scythian Gold) - to Coco Mademoiselle, and Elena - to Noa Cacharel.
    But the most renowned Russian perfumes that used to be produced in large quantities during the Soviet times are Moscow Rouge (Krasnaya Moskva) and Troinoi Odekolon. They have become legends here in Russia, like Chanel and Dior in France, and everyone knows and remembers these names.
    Those who want to know more about the Russian perfumery may check the website of Novaya Zarya I was surprised to see that it is a very nice website that has the English version and even the E-shop.

Oh, these company was established by Henry Brocard by the way. As I know, raw materials used to produce this fragrances are quite good & natural. For example natural rose water & rose blossom oil imported right from Valley of Roses in Bulgaria with large discount & the quality of these are quite similar to ones that go for export in France. Thats the part of agreement with french company Vikon De Paris. But all these fragrances lacks originality. They`re clones of European mainstream scents. 'The New Darn' distibutes products via their retail trade system that is poorly spread. That`s why these scents are quite rare even here in Russia.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I'll enjoy doing some reading following your leads.

Wow, really cheap; you have to update us on how these fragrances sit on your skin throughout teh day.

Glad it went well for you - I was iffy recommending the store (in fact, it wasn't quite a recommendation, more like a "oh, look!" thing), but considering that many people abroad actually did enjoy the stuff (I still think it's stinky, though) - thought I'd throw it out there.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Diman View Post
    I have to tell you guys that the Russia perfume industry is extremely underdeveloped and hardly exists. It is not easy to but russian perfumes even in Russia. All the best perfume stores here sell mostly foreign mainstream perfumes and ignore the Russian products.
    Russia's most famous perffume-maker is called Novaya Zarya (The New Dawn). They do make their own selection of Russian fragrances but they try to imitate foreign analogues. For example, ... Zlato Skifov (Scythian Gold) - to Coco Mademoiselle...
    BS, sorry. Zlato Skifov was created in the late 80s (maybe - early 90s, but definitely before 1995), whereas Coco Mademoiselle was created in 2001. And that's only one - off the top of my head.

Are you suggesting Chanel is copying Novaya Zarya?
    Last edited by FroFro; 3rd February 2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Thanks for the very genteel bump, FroFro. Way to lead with "BS" in a February post to and October thread. I'm locking this thread. It was over until FroFro wanted to throw around in it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.