Code of Conduct

Default Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I just have to make a topic about this. I posted my concern in another topic but I just want more people to give their perspective. Here's my post:

Is it just me, or is Boss Number One a bit mellow? I've read reviews that say that it's really potent with great silleage but I find it to be calm not too long after the initial spray. I really like the smell but after reading how it's supposed to be potent and powerful I am left underwhelmed by its strength. Is the strength and potency perhaps overrated? Maybe more sprays are needed? Can anyone speak about this? I think I'm going to return it because it's just not as powerful as I had hoped judging from the reviews. It's a shame since I really like the smell but it's just too damn weak in my eyes after I was hoping it would be a silleage monster.

I get whiffs of this stuff but it seems like the sillage is nothing special and don't see what people rave about. Out of the fragrances I own this stuff is no B*Men or Cubano Gold when it comes to silleage or strength. Perhaps a reformulation has taken place with this one as with so many other fragrances that have been introduced in the 1980s and earlier. Please share your insights.

Smile Re: Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Hi ronin.am sorry your a little underwhelmed by boss number 1.i myself have this fragrance and i simply love it.from initial spray it can last at least 12 hours on me.its a very masculine smelling scent-and a classic powerhouse from the 1980s.i have had quite a few compliments paid to me from women whenever i have worn boss number 1.i can only suggest that you go back to boss number one in a few days or so and try it again-and see if that helps.it is in my top ten of fragrances(alongside antaeus.kouros,and montana parfum d"homme)

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I think some people over-react and say it is "powerful" because it is much more so then the fresh, light, clean, modern fragrances that are sold today (sadly).

I certainly don't think it is one of the most powerful fragrances, but I personally do not have a problem with it's sillage or longevity. I quite like it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the insight. I will try this one again and shouldn't be so quick to discredit it. Petruccijc, that's one hell of a collection, any fragrances that are similar to Boss Number One or Azzaro Pour Homme? Any suggestions for other great fragrances that you may recommend that aren't too expensive? No weak stuff but no strong stuff just for the sake of being strong!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think some people over-react and say it is "powerful" because it is much more so then the fresh, light, clean, modern fragrances that are sold today (sadly).

I certainly don't think it is one of the most powerful fragrances, but I personally do not have a problem with it's sillage or longevity. I quite like it.
    I agree with this. I have more than a few frags that are labeled as "over-the-top" or "too strong", yet they're nothing more than average projection and sillage on me.

i love the stuff...

I read a review either here or at perfumeemporium where someone mentioned that Europe's version of Boss Number One is better due to the superior alcohol in the fragrance or something along those lines. Don't know if that's true. Perhaps the U.S. gets screwed and I can't help but feel this one is watered down. I ended up returning it and I felt that $25 for a 1.6 oz. was too expensive considering that the strength is not as strong as I had hoped. A 3.4 oz. for the price would have been more reasonable. Until I find a better price I don't know when I will buy this one again. One reviewer on here claimed that he got a 3.4 oz. from a drugstore for $20. I wonder which drugstore it was and whether it was a sale since the only drugstore I've seen this one is at Walgreens and they sell a 1.6 oz. bottle for $33.99. Seems like no one cares for this topic but just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.
    Last edited by Ronin; 10th October 2008 at 07:04 AM.

ronin? am sad that you have returned your boss number 1.you raised some interesting points in your post.i myself have a 4.2 oz bottle of boss number 1(its the edt version)and i paid 22.99 for it.my bottle is made in the uk and has p&g prestige beauty stamped on the under base of the bottle.did you buy the aftershave version of boss number 1 or the edt version? i like to splash a little of the aftershave on after shaving and then spritz the edt on an hour or so later.i just think boss number 1 has such an evocative and memorable smell-it just cant be mistaken(antaeus and montana parfum d"homme are like that too).i love boss number 1 and when my 4.2 oz bottle gets to its last drops i will be ordering another.

Quote Originally Posted by wirral guy View Post
    ronin? am sad that you have returned your boss number 1.you raised some interesting points in your post.i myself have a 4.2 oz bottle of boss number 1(its the edt version)and i paid 22.99 for it.my bottle is made in the uk and has p&g prestige beauty stamped on the under base of the bottle.did you buy the aftershave version of boss number 1 or the edt version? i like to splash a little of the aftershave on after shaving and then spritz the edt on an hour or so later.i just think boss number 1 has such an evocative and memorable smell-it just cant be mistaken(antaeus and montana parfum d"homme are like that too).i love boss number 1 and when my 4.2 oz bottle gets to its last drops i will be ordering another.
    My bottle said made in U.K. as well and I had the edt version. I may just get a large bottle somewhere since I felt a bit cheated with only a 1.7 oz. bottle for the price. With a larger bottle I don't have to worry about conserving and can spray as much as I feel. I will give this one a try again soon. I will be looking to buy a 4.2 oz. bottle as well.

May someone please post the list of ingredients of this fragrance. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ronin; 10th October 2008 at 09:28 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I will try this one again and shouldn't be so quick to discredit it. Petruccijc, that's one hell of a collection, any fragrances that are similar to Boss Number One or Azzaro Pour Homme? Any suggestions for other great fragrances that you may recommend that aren't too expensive? No weak stuff but no strong stuff just for the sake of being strong!
    Some other fragrances you may want to check out are:

Yatagan
    Bogart
    Calvin for Men
    Leonard pour Homme
    Oscar de la Renta pour Lui
    Red for Men
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Sung Homme
    Trussardi Uomo
    Zino Davidoff

I'm sure if you hunt around, you can find a larger bottle of Boss #1 at a reasonable price.

Good luck!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ronin? the list of ingredients contained in boss number 1 are as follows.(top notes) Bergamot, Lavender, Sage: (middle notes) Honey Jasmine, Rosemary: (base notes) Patchouli, Sandalwood, Oakmoss: hope this helps you.

May someone please post the list of ingredients of this fragrance. Thanks.
    The Basenotes Fragrance Directory is always the first place I look: Boss Number One (1985)
    by Hugo Boss
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

No, I was asking about the ingredients of the fragrance which is listed on the back of the box, not the notes of the fragrance. petruccijc, thanks for the list.

No, I was asking about the ingredients of the fragrance which is listed on the back of the box, not the notes of the fragrance
    From the back of the box:

Alcohol Denat,
    Aqua/Water
    Parfum/Fragrance
    Caramel
    Lactic Acid
    Benzophenone 2
    Dipropylene Glycol
    Benzyl Benzoate
    Benzyl Salicylate
    Cinnamyl Alcohol
    Citral
    Citronellol
    Eugenol
    Geraniol
    Hexyl Cinnamal
    Hydroxycitronellal
    Butylphenyl Methylpropional
    Limonene
    Linalool
    Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde
    Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
    Evernia Furfuracea

I haven't worn this frag in a couple years, though I want to get a bottle again. I don't remember the sillage being overtly strong, certainly not stronger than some of the other frags I have. It is a great scent though.

atrac, thanks! I know you're a big fan of this stuff judging from some of the topics that I saw when I searched. Aaron, thanks for clearing that up.
    Last edited by Ronin; 12th October 2008 at 08:54 AM.

atrac, thanks! I know you're a big fan of this stuff judging from some of the topics that I saw when I searched.
    No problem! And yes, I'm a huge fan of it! I go back and forth between it and DK Fuel as my favorite frag.

Boss No 1 used to be strong with great sillage.

To begin my story we will have to go back into time way back into the late 80's. It all begins with of course Giorgio Beverly Hills it was to this day one of the most successful selling fragrance of the 80's. It was blowing out of US department stores so the idea came to market overseas. In order to create this venture Giorgio Beverly Hills need to make the perfume business break away and become its own entity.

Giorgio Beverly Hills Perfumes was created and it's selling was also very profitable in Europe everyone wanted a piece of the Dynasty era and if you were not born into at least you could smell like it.
    With the success and money back by Avon - Giorgio then started investing into other endeavors such as Hugo Boss which it purchased great shares of the company.

Giorgio Beverly Hills Perfumes also purchased in Germany a Cosmetic/Fragrance company in Frankfurt know as Eurocos and added another US plant in Hunt Valley MD. The company marketed Hugo Boss Number 1 and for a time Giorgio in Europe only. In addition Laura Biagiotti fragrances were added to portfolio in the mid 80's.

When Avon sold the whole Giorgio Empire in the early nineties to P&G, Eurocos was digested full into P&G Fragrance Division. In addition I also believe all Hugo Boss stock was part of the deal – for I understand at one time P&G has great investments in that fashion house. It is at this point you will notice the change in the quality of the fragrance - under the P&G name the scents lack sillage and are not as longer lasting.

Point in case I have both an old bottle of Boss No1 and a stash of Venezia Uomo by Laura Biagiott and both are all day lasting scents with great sillage. If you can find these old scents you will be able to tell from the box it will say distributed by Eurocos or Eurocos/Giorgio Beverly Hills.

Okay history class is over guy!