Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Guerlain Homme or The Emperor's New Clothes

Four samples I tried.

I lingered over the photos, visually caressing the sleek, corpulent gleam of the Pinnafarina-designed bottle.

Intially, like a deer caught in headlights, I over looked the short-comings of Mr. Wasser and his Guerlain creation. I ignored the fact that the 'mojito' spine of this fragrance, (also an insidiously lame attempt at luring me), fell apart oh so very quickly. Like a house of cards. Except no one was blowing on it.

And the bottle, fitting the fragrance like a good glove, also deterred my better 'senses' from the glaring fact that this pedestrian attempt was wowing over countless numbers of my esteemed peers.

I became part of the frenzy, convincing myself that Guerlain was appealing to the more sublte aspects of designing a scent. Among the din was heard-' be patient and try to understand this new Guerlain.'

So I walked into my local retailer and redeemed my hard-earned card points and walked out, fitfully, with a bottle of Guerlain Homme.

How to describe the rest of this journey? I opened the box upon returning home and looked at the bottle then I sprayed my arm again and thought why am I doing this? Why am I finding that in order to enjoy this fragrance I have to continually layer it on every 20 minutes, then every hour?

Then it hit me. Not only was this Wasser creation an 'Emperor without clothes' but it was also a slightly less engaging clone of his Lancome creation, Hypnose homme, with the Lancome being the stronger man of the two.

Back to the store went the Guerlain, mystique and all, and I took solace in that I seen through Mr. Wasser's slight of hand.
    Last edited by graffham; 10th October 2008 at 02:20 AM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Default Re: Guerlain Homme or The Emperor's New Clothes

flawless post!

No problems for me. I get crazy longevity from this one. I am lucky I guess.
    In fact, it stays around after a shower, and that I don't like.
    This is one my top 3 best purchases this year.

Love how fragrances are so mysterious and different from person to person; this time in my favor.

But I admit, I am not one that wears Opium EDP, Dior Homme Intense, etc...some are used to more sillage, heavy handed creations.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 9th October 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The part about you, '...caressing the sleek, corpulent gleam of the Pinnafarina-designed bottle...' got me laughing out loud.

I can't wait to sample this. It's such a love/hate scent here on Basenotes.

I thought Maurice Roucel was the perfumer behind Hypnose Homme?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really like to see this judged in a blind smelling, without anyone knowing it was Guerlain, just to eliminate the magic that brand name infuses into a perfume.

Wasser created Hypnose (for women). Recently also the virtually non-olfactant Jil Sander Man, and the even worse (it does smell - cheap and disgusting) flanker Absolut. You know his surname means "water" in German ? I can't believe he made Furyo.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 9th October 2008 at 10:06 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I'd really like to see this judged in a blind smelling, without anyone knowing it was Guerlain, just to eliminate the magic that brand name infuses into a perfume.

Wasser created Hypnose (for women). Recently also the virtually non-olfactant Jil Sander Man, and the even worse (it does smell - cheap and disgusting) flanker Absolut. You know his surname means "water" in German ? I can't believe he made Furyo.
    I can only speak for myself here, but I am personally not a Guerlain fanboy.
    With a wardrobe at 10 and dwindling, I can't afford the luxury of buying and owning a scent that doesn't work for me just because of a house reputation. Heritage is the only Guerlain I owned before Guerlain Homme.

No Guerlain, SL, Frederic Malle worship here. I can't speak for others though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm probably guilty of a little guerlain worship. Having tested it again though, I stand by my view that given that Wasser's brief was probably to do something "modern" and "generic" enough to actually sell, he has done so with style and plenty of guerlain reference. I think that the vetiver note is nice and very guerlain, the top is a notch above the normal and the blend is very good.

I think in a blind test for me it would rate below the great guerlains and above other modern masculines. I like it much more than L'Instant which struck me as very average. But obviously I don't know 'cos I haven't tested blind .
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 9th October 2008 at 10:22 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, I don`t know... Longevity I get from this one is some kind of monster. I have a sample card which I`ve sprayed with Guerlain Homme almost two weeks ago & still I can detect the fragrance. Of course now it`s weak but the `body` of fragrance is still there. A little sniff is enough to recognize it. On skin it worked for me for 12-15 hours & two showers.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Four samples I tried.

I lingered over the photos, visually caressing the sleek, corpulent gleam of the Pinnafarina-designed bottle.

Intially, like a deer caught in headlights, I over looked the short-comings of Mr. Wasser and his Guerlain creation. I ignored the fact that the 'mojito' spine of this fragrance, (also an insidiously lame attempt at luring me), fell apart oh so very quickly. Like a house of cards. Except no one was blowing on it.

And the bottle, fitting the fragrance like a good glove, also deterred my better 'senses' from the glaring fact that this pedestrian attempt was wowing over countless numbers of my esteemed peers.

I became part of the frenzy, convincing myself that Guerlain was appealing to the more sublte aspects of designing a scent. Among the din was heard-' be patient and try to understand this new Guerlain.'

So I walked into my local retailer and redeemed my hard-earned card points and walked out, fitfully, with a bottle of Guerlain Homme.

How to describe the rest of this journey? I opened the box upon returning home and looked at the bottle then I sprayed my arm again and thought why am I doing this? Why am I finding that in order to enjoy this fragrance I have to continually layer it on every 20 minutes, then every hour?

Then it hit me. Not only was this Wasser creation an 'Emperor without clothes' but it was also a slightly less engaging clone of his Lancome creation, Hypnose homme, with the Lancome being the stronger man of the two.

Back to the store went the Guerlain, mystique and all, and I took solace in that I seen through Mr. Wasser's slight of hand.
    BRAVO!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in as another who gets great longevity from this one. Surely one of the greatest releases of the year. Although I'm completely anosmic to Bulgari PH.

No smelling problems with this one either. It's not exactly a sillage beast, but to say this has no smell, is a bit over the top. On me it lasts great.
    It's not an oriental like Heritage or Habit Rouge. I think this is suposed to be Guerlains , Aqua di Gio and is suposed to sell. And I think , they did a great job at that. Lot's of people seem to like it.

Graffham, somehow I think Montale's Black Aoud is completely your thing. If you can't smell that one, you can at least use it as a body spray.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Lot's of people seem to like it.
    Ermm... I think that was the point...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Ermm... I think that was the point...
    Exactly. And that is a bad thing? Guerlain is a business Trebor not a personal fragrance designer. They are trying to make a profit, stay competitive and still make a nice fragrance. They succeeded, so don't hate on them. Lighten up and go spritz some Blue Amber.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 10th October 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Exactly. And that is a bad thing? Guerlain is a business Trebor not a personal fragrance designer. They are trying to make a profit, stay competitive and still make a nice fragrance. They succeeded, so don't hate on them. Lighten up and go spritz some Blue Amber.
    Proof that sarcasm doesn't translate well across the Atlantic...
    Last edited by Trebor; 10th October 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Everyone knows your sarcasm well here Trebor. I got it. It is just that some days we read it as a tired Broadway play that has run way to long.

Double post. Sorry!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 10th October 2008 at 11:07 AM.

Everyone knows your sarcasm well here Trebor. I got it. It is just that some days we read it as a tired Broadway play that has run way too long.
    It's just an additional cross the English have to bear, I'm afraid. We'd rather eat our own vomit for lunch than adopt that 'everything's amazing' / happy-go-lucky approach that's so prevalent in the US. How the very thought sends shivers down our spines. Btw, ever saw 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'?

Anyway, to be honest, this whole perfumery lark is getting way out of hand – watered-down creations, umpteen new / revived niche houses, inflating prices, unnecessary (and underhanded) reformulations... My sarcasm is merely a reflection of what's currently going on. Anyway, someone's got to bring a balance to the Basenotes universe, especially with such intense enthusiasm for fragrances that haven't even been smelt yet! I know how you yanks love positivity ‘n’ all but a copious amount of negativity can be just as healthy as well.

Yes, these companies are there to make a profit but there's also more p***-taking from these same companies than ever before. I prefer to remain vigilant than constantly raising my hopes for them to be brutally dashed (which seems to be happening with most of you). At the end of the day, this may be a passion but people’s hard-earned cash is being invested in these creations. I think it’s our duty, as Basenoters, to be as brutally honest as possible.
    Now, why don't you spare a thought for the actor having to perform, every single night, on that tired Broadway play for a moment...

P.S. The 'Ermm... I think that was the point...' quote was in reference to eric stating the obvious and not about what I think about Guerlain Homme. Just thought I should make that clear.
    Last edited by Trebor; 10th October 2008 at 11:36 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I do not worship Guerlain (or any other house). But I do own several Guerlain fragrances that I am extremely fond of. So I approached Guerlain Homme like any other fragrance - what does it smell like, how is the longevity and sillage, etc.

What I found Guerlain Homme to be is a nice, fresh, innocuous fragrance with decent sillage and longevity. If that is what you are looking for, then it is a good choice.

I personally did not think there was anything spectacular or special about it that would make me want to purchase a bottle. But then I usually tend to gravitate towards fragrances that have a little more "oomph" to them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 10th October 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's just an additional cross the English have to bear, I'm afraid. We'd rather eat our own vomit for lunch than adopt that 'everything's amazing' / happy-go-lucky approach that's so prevalent in the US. How the very thought sends shivers down our spines. Btw, ever saw 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'?

Anyway, to be honest, this whole perfumery lark is getting way out of hand – watered-down creations, umpteen new / revived niche houses, inflating prices, unnecessary (and underhanded) reformulations... My sarcasm is merely a reflection of what's currently going on. Anyway, someone's got to bring a balance to the Basenotes universe, especially with such intense enthusiasm for fragrances that haven't even been smelt yet! I know how you yanks love positivity ‘n’ all but a copious amount of negativity can be just as healthy as well.

Yes, these companies are there to make a profit but there's also more p***-taking from these same companies than ever before. I prefer to remain vigilant than constantly raising my hopes for them to be brutally dashed (which seems to be happening with most of you). At the end of the day, this may be a passion but people’s hard-earned cash is being invested in these creations. I think it’s our duty, as Basenoters, to be as brutally honest as possible.
    Now, why don't you spare a thought for the actor having to perform, every single night, on that tired Broadway play for a moment...

P.S. The 'Ermm... I think that was the point...' quote was in reference to eric stating the obvious and not about what I think about Guerlain Homme. Just thought I should make that clear.
    Wow. Ahem...I think your post speaks volumes and again proves my point about your angle. Bitter, party of one! Bitter, party of one! Your table is ready. And how did this turn into a US British thing??? Geez. Issues. OK you go on iggy. Bye Bye.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 10th October 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Boy, someone got out of the wrong side of the bed today! All this based on a comment about stating the obvious... Look, I don't have a problem with you or anyone else here but please don't start what you can't finish. Oh, there's also no need to resort to personal attacks either.

This place is beginning to remind me of the Youtube comments section - a positive point for saying something that 'the fans' want to hear and a negative for simply speaking your mind. Such a pity...

Well, I wonder if you,get the point mr.Trebor.
    Since you brought YouTube up: a lot of Metallica fans were dissapointed when the members took a differend musical path and cut off their hair. (hey,..Metallica is the name of a Guerlain perfume, so this is not entirely off topic). Guerlain has to go with time, wheter we like it or not.

Guerlain was not exactly a huge succes in the mens department. With al due respect, after Habit Rouge, there wasn't coming much from them that sold. People weren't exactly standing in line to buy Derby,Heritage and Coriolan when it was released. I wish they did, so we wouldn't be were we are now. Guerlain is long gone.
    Let's face it, when LVMH took over the company (and I hated that just as much as everyone else here) Jean Paul Guerlain was put on a side track. LVMH clamed that "he was still in charge , bla,..bla..." Well if you believe that, well , what can I say.
    I bet, if they released another Coriolan again today, it wouldn't sell either. So what's a company gonna do? Release something that will apeal to a wide , male audience.
    Maybe after this is a huge succes, monsieur Wasser is gonna show some balls. Or not.
    Last edited by eric; 10th October 2008 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Guerlain Homme or The Emperor's New Clothes

Since you brought YouTube up: a lot of Metallica fans were dissapointed when the members took a differend musical path and cut off their hair. (hey,..Metallica is the name of a Guerlain perfume, so this is not entirely off topic). Guerlain has to go with time, wheter we like it or not.

Guerlain was not exactly a huge succes in the mens department. With al due respect, after Habit Rouge, there wasn't coming much from them. People weren't exactly standing in line to buy Derby,Heritage and Coriolan when it was released. Let's face it, when LVMH took the company over (and I hated that just as much as everyone else here) Jean Paul Guerlain was put on a side track. LVMH clamed that "he was still in charge , bla,..bla..." Well if you believe that, well , what can I say.
    I bet, if they released another Coriolan again today, it wouldn't sell either. So what's a company gonna do?
    Maybe after this is a huge succes, monsieur Wasser is gonna show some balls. Or not.
    WOW !!!!
    Well said Sir Eric !!!!!

Guerlain was not exactly a huge succes in the mens department. With al due respect, after Habit Rouge, there wasn't coming much from them that sold. People weren't exactly standing in line to buy Derby,Heritage and Coriolan when it was released. I wish they did, so we wouldn't be were we are now. Guerlain is long gone.
    Let's face it, when LVMH took over the company (and I hated that just as much as everyone else here) Jean Paul Guerlain was put on a side track. LVMH clamed that "he was still in charge , bla,..bla..." Well if you believe that, well , what can I say.
    I bet, if they released another Coriolan again today, it wouldn't sell either. So what's a company gonna do? Release something that will apeal to a wide , male audience.
    Nice post but what point is there to grasp? We all know that Guerlain needs a big seller - that's no big secret to anyone (not even me). But (and this is a big but) not everyone's going to like Guerlain Homme. Although I've never bashed Guerlain Homme in this thread (that's if you disregard my agreement with the OP) it could have been a lot better and still retain its mainstream appeal. I think that's the main issue with most detractors here. For example, I don't like Dior Homme but I can certainly appreciate its uniqueness and originality.

So, stop selecting fragments of what you want, from other people's posts, and try to understand better what they're actually trying to say. And, yes, it may require reading between the lines too...

Nice post but what point is there to grasp? We all know that Guerlain needs a big seller - that's no big secret to anyone (not even me). But (and this is a big but) not everyone's going to like Guerlain Homme. Although I've never bashed Guerlain Homme in this thread (that's if you disregard my agreement with the OP) it could have been a lot better and still retain its mainstream appeal. I think that's the main issue with most detractors here. For example, I don't like Dior Homme but I can certainly appreciate its uniqueness and originality.

So, stop selecting fragments of what you want, from other people's posts, and try to understand better what they're actually trying to say. And, yes, it may require reading between the lines too...
    So, let's see: " We don't understand your sarcasm", "I have to understand better what people are trying to say" and it all requires "reading between the lines"

That's a whole lotta work to read a simple post..... do you give classes for that?

P.S. Sorry for all this Grafham, I do love to read your posts.

cheers,
    Last edited by eric; 11th October 2008 at 08:58 PM.

So, let's see: " We don't understand your sarcasm", "I have to understand better what people are trying to say" and it all requires "reading between the lines"

That's a whole lotta work to read a simple post..... do you give give classes for that?

P.S. Sorry for all this Grafham, I do love to read your posts.

cheers,
    Ohhhhh... putting words in my mouth as well... As for the rest of your post, it easily comes naturally for some (with no lessons required)...

P.S. I love the way you've just ignored the content of my last post that directly relates to this thread - this in turn supports what I said in my previous post. As for apologising to Grafham, your omission of my points about Guerlain Homme make your apology sound rather hollow...
    Last edited by Trebor; 10th October 2008 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    That was actually my first encounter with Guerlain Homme - I was testing a bunch of samples with my wife and she sprayed a sample on my wrist. At first I thought it was one of those Allure homme flankers. Repeated testing revealed a terribly generic juice with below-average quality ingredients and I don't get any past Guerlain references in this composition either. It makes Guerlain Insolence look like a complex kalaedoscopic scent.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

No problems for me. I get crazy longevity from this one. I am lucky I guess.
    In fact, it stays around after a shower, and that I don't like.
    This is one my top 3 best purchases this year.

Love how fragrances are so mysterious and different from person to person; this time in my favor.

But I admit, I am not one that wears Opium EDP, Dior Homme Intense, etc...some are used to more sillage, heavy handed creations.
    I too get good longevity, also pretty massive sillage. I'm very fortunate I guess, this one is one of the few "Fresh" scents that I find appealing.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I smelled it today for the 1st time.

Incredibly wonderful mint top notes crash into a heap in about an hour. Of course, I need to test this more and give it a full wearing.

But for now, I think Roadster by Cartier wins the new 'Mint prominent - Mens Fragrance' award.

I haven't been fortunate as of yet to test Roadster or Guerlain Homme. It sounds like these two are in healthy competition since they apparently try to display mint among their line-ups. I must admit that I am in no hurry to try them. I was once a mint fan but for some reason, I don't fancy it like I use to.

I have to agree with you, Guerlain Homme does smell somewhat generic. But I am finding that for whatever reason, I am liking it more and more every time I try it on. I mean don't get me wrong, I do not think it will ever be a classic like Guerlain Imperiale, or Mitsouko, but it is still some pretty good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I smelled it today for the 1st time.

Incredibly wonderful mint top notes crash into a heap in about an hour. Of course, I need to test this more and give it a full wearing.

But for now, I think Roadster by Cartier wins the new 'Mint prominent - Mens Fragrance' award.
    Oh yes, they both have their flaws but Roadster is the better creation of the two, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

OK EVERBODY! I just got back from Thanksgiving weekend with the family and out-laws.

EVERYBODY KISS AND MAKE UP-THEN SEND ME MONEY FOR MY TUSCAN VILLA!

GRAFFHAM
    Thread author
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Guerlain Homme was my SOTD today and I was hoping for a bit better projection with the warmer temps here in Jersey. Sadly, my body heat didn't warm it up enough to get much more projection. It does last forever as I can still smell it tonight ... but it's very close to my skin. And as usual, I did grossly overspray. Such a shame as I really like this scent. I like it much better than Roadster which I've sampled three different times and really TRIED to like. But after the mint disappears off the top, I don't know what the hell it's supposed to be. Maybe it's just my skin chemistry. But even given the discounters prices of the low $70 range (Beautyencounter, Scentiments), I still think it's way over priced for what it is.

My 2 Guerlain purchases this year were very nice scents (Guerlain Homme and Cologne du 68), but I just wish they had better projection.