Code of Conduct

Thread: Shalimar Light

Basenotes Institution

Default Shalimar Light

As a fan of Guerlain, Habit Rouge is one of my favorites.

I discovered HR at the same time that I tested Shalimar. After doing some research on both scents (here and on the 'net) I learned that basically HR was Guerlains 'version' of Shalimar for men. It makes total sense - they both share very similar qualities - blended in different ways.

I have tested Habit Rouge EdC, Light (Legere) and EdT. I prefer the EdC because it strikes the perfect balance between pastry sweetness (vanilla), rough animalic notes (leather) and citrus - so this is the one I own a bottle of.

I have tested Shalimar in EdC, EdT and more recently Light. I own a bottle of the EdC and while I almost never wear it to the office, or out at night - I find it incredibly comfortable applied before bed. It's the perfect plush, teddy-bear-of-a-fragrance.

But Shalimar Light - well this is one I could wear almost anywhere. It's lemon pound cake sweetness is just this shy of turning into a gourmand, while falling firmly on the 'oriental' side. The transition to the vanilla/benzoin drydown, familiar to lovers of HR and Shalimar is smooth, silky and refreshing.

I will even go as far as saying SL is more eminently wearable than Habit Rouge EdC. It's not as formal as HR. The absence of leather/animalic notes gives this a jeans-and-a-tshirt feel, to my nose. I see a bottle of SL in my future.

Would anyone agree with me? I rarely hear us mention Shalimar Light here - although I do hear guys say they like Shalimar (I'm assuming you guys are speaking about the EdT or the EdC)?

In addition, I just learned that Shalimar Light has different formulations. The 'original' bottle (gold juice, blue edged glass) is the most sought after version. The more recent bottle (blue juice, blue bottle) is more 'synthetic' smelling. The very, very recent Eau de Shalimar is ENTIRELY different. Even more synthetic and less skillfully blended. So I've heard. Oh yes, and all versions except the Eau de Shalimar, are officially discontinued.

Default Re: Shalimar Light

Of the "light" series, I have only tried the most recent Eau de Shalimar. When I compare EdS to Shalimar, it is not impressive. But on its own, it is a very pleasant, easy to wear scent, and well constructed. I don't get too much lemon or sweet vanilla since my skin really dries things out. In fact, EdS gets a bit powdery, but not heavy. I think it wears better on my skin than the lighter concentrations of Shalimar. The modern EDT smells like baby diapers on me. When I first tried it, I was incredulous--how could this be a classic? Lol. Now I know better

From what I understand (haven't sampled it) EdS is pretty bad juice. Light is great, however, and it's in my rotation.

Here is a blog entry on this confusing issue:

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...1/3609767.html

Apparently, there is some belief that "light" and "eau" are the same....

I could not find my sample of Shalimar light! O_O entering panic mode. I am not sure which concentration I got from scentedmonkey. I was looking for a more wearable Shalimar: at first I though I would find a more girly shalimar, but that was not the case. I found that SL EDx was a very good fragrance, though it never crossed my mind to compare it to HR. I like mikeperez23's description "silky and refreshing", it rings a bell in my memory. SL was less powdery and vanillic than the original, but it also had lower sillage and longevity (light). I guess my favorite part was to find the sheer sweetness I love from Mitsouko EDP and a touch of modernity on this fragrance. I do not remember specific notes, so I better find my sample soon.

What can I say? Guerlain just delivers... except for their last male scent.

If I remember correctly Luca Turin really likes the light one and hates the EdS one, but since I have and like the light one (and have a full bottle), there's no reason for me to worry about the EdS one way or the other. The nowsmellthis article seems to view it the same way as LT, but just not to the same degree.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 10th October 2008 at 03:46 AM.

It's high time someone rose to the occasion to write on this one! Thanks, Mike for a well written review! I seem to recall Luca Turin writing positively about SL with reference to its being one men could pull off. It's fortunately readily available - at least online. When I smelled it for the first time, I thought it was a very well done "Lemon Sorbet" type of scent.

I like it a lot, although the first incarnation, Eau Leger was best, but difficult to find online now. The 2nd incarnation, Light, is still very nice, but take the word "Light" with a grain of salt, because there's nothing light about it. While I was very impressed with it at first, I found it to be cloying whenever I wore it after that.

Although LT slams Eau de Shalimar, I find it to be remarkably similar to the first two.

Basenotes Institution

Cool - nice to see some of you guys (and gals) are aware of Shalimar Light and enjoy it.

I swear, the sharp wetness of the citrus notes when I spray it on are positively saliva inducing. The first day I wore it from my sample (thanks BTW to TDI for my sample), my stomach rumbled when I put it on. I got hungry. I wore it to the office and on the way there I stopped at Starbucks and immediately bought a slice of lemon pound cake. As soon as I took a bite of it, it was like eating Shalimar Light. Literally. Quite delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Although LT slams Eau de Shalimar, I find it to be remarkably similar to the first two.
    Ditto here. Perhaps the musk in Eau de Shalimar smells a bit more "modern" than the prior version, but I think that Turin exaggerated - once again.

I agree with you Mike: it's a very wearable scent, I feel great when having it on. But the version before Eau de Shalimar is so much cheaper on eBay, so better buy that one. That is, IF one can't find the first edition (which I haven't smelled either).

Shalimar Light can still be found on many US web-stores. Beatyencounter.com, for one. Snap it up, once it's gone that's it!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Shalimar Light can still be found on many US web-stores. Beatyencounter.com, for one. Snap it up, once it's gone that's it!
    One has to be careful, though, about buying SL online.

Many online retailers advertise the Eau Legere bottle of it, and then when you order it, ship the 2nd reformulation bottle. A little bait-and-switch act. So, I'm wary...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th October 2008 at 04:22 AM.

As far as I know, all the 2.5 oz bottles are the reformulated version, so that's a sure way to know what you're getting. It's still a good buy, though, even if not as wonderful as the original. I got one, just in case I ever run out of my carefully hoarded nearly lifetime supply of the original juice.

It may be that the EdS version has galaxolide or a similar modern "laundry detergent" musk, which LT seems to really dislike. I'll also add that Shalimar Light lovers might really like Carven Homme as well. Instead of citrus, you get rosewood, but the spicy vanillic drydown is in the same category.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th October 2008 at 04:54 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the non blonde View Post
    As far as I know, all the 2.5 oz bottles are the reformulated version, so that's a sure way to know what you're getting. It's still a good buy, though, even if not as wonderful as the original. I got one, just in case I ever run out of my carefully hoarded nearly lifetime supply of the original juice.
    What size is the 'original' bottle?? Larger than 2.5 oz? Or smaller?

I was under the assumption, that the way you could tell old from new was the color of the juice. I have seen both colored juice (yellow [straw] and blue) in 2.5 oz bottles.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th October 2008 at 05:22 AM.

I have only seen the "original" bottle in 2.5 oz - the only sure way to know is the juice colour. And Mike, you are right: most sellers show the "straw-coloured" version, but sell the blue juice.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What size is the 'original' bottle?? Larger than 2.5 oz? Or smaller?

I was under the assumption, that the way you could tell old from new was the color of the juice. I have seen both colored juice (yellow [straw] and blue) in 2.5 oz bottles.

I have a 1.7 oz bottle of the Light. The juice is a light yellow color. The bottle has a blue top, which is also the sprayer (no top that can be removed).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th October 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I am so confused.

Don't be The two first Shalimar Light editions were made in both 50 and 75 ml. Just look for the juice colour, then it should be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Don't be The two first Shalimar Light editions were made in both 50 and 75 ml. Just look for the juice colour, then it should be fine!
    That explains it. I've been digging through my stash and realized that I have the blue juice in both 1.7 and 2.5 oz, and the same for the second batch. From what I see online, the discounters that still carry Light are all offering the 2.5 oz bottles, but go figure what's in them.

As far as I can tell from what I have, there are two different boxes. I might post pics later.

Basenotes Institution

I think these are the two boxes you're referring to:

Old:

New:

I found more information and images on Perfume Shrine here.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th October 2008 at 04:36 PM.

I tried to figure out all the Shalimar Light nonesense a while back, but unless you can see the box in person, you don't really know what you're going to get. From what I remember though, Leger - old; Light - new. Both are good, and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two unless they were side-by-side.

bleu autumn haze

I'm pretty sure that I have the first Shalimar Eau Légère. I remember the first ads featured Theodora and Alexandra Richards (Rolling Stone Keith's daughters) and their mom, Patti Hansen. One of the girls said in an interview that when they smelled SEL, they immediately thought of their dad, who always wore Habit Rouge.

I'm a fan of both Habit Rouge and Shalimar, even though I came to them late. And like so many others, I was really afraid of what Guerlain would do to Shalimar by making a "light" version. But I think Guerlain did Shalimar proud by keeping the heart and soul of Shalimar, but making it somehow lighter and brighter, a little more luminous and shimmery.

I don't always do citrus well, especially lemon. But on my skin, SEL does smell as wonderful as lemon pound cake but with the spice and warmth of regular Shalimar.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I remember the first ads featured Theodora and Alexandra Richards (Rolling Stone Keith's daughters) and their mom, Patti Hansen. One of the girls said in an interview that when they smelled SEL, they immediately thought of their dad, who always wore Habit Rouge.
    That's neat. Keith Richard wears HR.

I think the ad you're speaking about is posted on Perfume Shrine, in the link above in my post.

I am wearing Guerlain's Shalimar Light (blue color) for the first time today and am enjoying it very much. It really is very unisex in my opinion. I find it to be a very interesting scent and a little intoxicating. This is despite the fact that I do not like the original Shalimar.