Code of Conduct

Default I love Creed Neroli Sauvage but.......

it doesn't last. I recieved a sample of this with a purchase from Saks. I love this from start to finish. Problem is, it finishes way too fast. Please tell me if there is anything thats close to this and has decent longevity. Thanks, Bfree

Default Re: I love Creed Neroli Sauvage but.......

I love Neroli sauvage too. I had a similar problem, however the reason your neroli sauvage doesnt last is because there are multiple "batches" of it due to the natural ingredients which vary by season. Some batches smell less citrusy, more dry and woody (and last for hours), while others smell more like neroli and last a maximum of an hour.

So.... you can either spend some time looking for a good bottle, OR (drumroll please) try Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud. To me, this is the closest I've come to finding something like neroli sauvage at its best. Although they smell different, I get the same great vibe from Eau du Sud.

At its worst, Neroli Sauvage smells just like neroli with some citrus. If this is the batch your looking for, I'm sorry but I don't have any suggestions

Thank you. I may try the fragrance you suggested

Wink Re: I love Creed Neroli Sauvage but.......

Hi bfree,

You want to be very careful before implying that any Creed product has even a tiny shortcoming around here lest you risk been hounded by the basenotes Creed mafia.

Cheers, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Hi bfree,

You want to be very careful before implying that any Creed product has even a tiny shortcoming around here lest you risk been hounded by the basenotes Creed mafia.

Cheers, Jim
    It's ok... the worst of the Creed mafioso seem to have been quieted by the feds.

I had the same problem with Creed's Bois de Cedrat, which I found to be excellent. I know citrus notes don't have the best longevity, but you'd think at that cost it would be somewhat better than average.

If you're looking for high-end neroli, there's always L;'eau de Neroli by Dyptique. It's pricey but you get 125ml.

Guys, I own several Creed's and have had good results with them. I just wish this one lasted longer.

Blog Entries

Yes, aventurier. I agree. Creed variability is both a blessing and a curse. Beyond that, it's really just a natural molecular thing. It's almost impossible to make citrus-scent molecules hang around because of their volatility. Without going to synthetics, it's basically physical molecular trickery of some kind - fixatives and the like. I love Bois de Cedrat as well, and I put up with the longevity problem by bringing the bottle in my briefcase. Chanel has managed to extend the longevity of bergamot in Allure Homme Sport Cologne, but at the price of a slight synthetic edge - possibly from fixatives, or a higher-molecular-weight citrus-scent molecule. Even that frag does not have the greatest longevity.

Divatologist overcomes this sort of thing with her own fixatives - by using lotion on top of scent as a base before she applies the scent normally.

I'm going to have to try out Neroli Sauvage. Since I'm willing to put up with the baggage of citrus, it could be a winner.

PS - Creed Mafia! LOL! Don't worry about dissing Creeds for their legitimate shortcomings. The Creed mafia is under new management.

Your intriguing thread title was actually a bit predictable... it does not last. Its Creed. I am glad to see Redneck Perfumisto also enjoys Allure Cologne Sport. I thought I was the only one here to really like it.
    I am waiting for a sample of Czech & Speake Neroli. I have heard good things about it.
    Last edited by irish; 9th October 2008 at 04:36 AM.

Last time I gave Neroli Sauvage a thorough test on my wrist, it lasted a good 55 minutes on me.

If one values scents on a dollar per scent-hour basis, that would make Neroli Sauvage pretty much the most expensive scent out there. No wonder you like it so much!

The Clive Christian scents may cost four times more, but they last seven or eight times longer - which makes them relatively good value compared to Neroli Sauvage.
    Renato

I found Eau de Rochas pour homme, the vintage version, to be a good Ersatz-Neroli Sauvage. My NS has no sweet neroli to it at all - it's more like a petitgrain. C&S Neroli is outstanding if you want a straightforward Orange blossom.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

There are three factors here, I believe:
    1) Get a fresh bottle from an official supplier

2) Don't expect citrus notes to last. They don't. They diffuse quickly giving high sillage at first then they are gone, more or less. I think people have expectations set up by the initial rush of top notes and then are disappointed when these don't last. That is to misunderstand the art of perfumery with citrus. The trick is to capture a little of the citrus in the base. after the initial blast inevitably dies. N.S. does this very well. I think the opening of citruses need to be seen as someting (albeit very pleasurable) which has to be gone through to find out what the perfume is really like.

3) For me N.S. and other citrus/nerolis are big candidates for olfactory fatigue.

Neroli Sauvage is also particularly vulnerable to bad storage. I have had four different bottles and only the one I bought from an official supplier was really good. It starts with a lemony citrus, followed by petitgrain and a dry neroli. It doesn't have a big sweet neroli but a slightly thinner (some may say more masculine) version. It is a very elegant neroli note, in my opinion and is supremely well blended. This drops into a wonderful and extremely persistent base of sandalwood and musk. This perfume is very natural smelling to my nose and I suspect quite a high level of naturals.

Also see this old thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...gevity+sauvage

and many others.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 9th October 2008 at 09:34 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks guys!!!! I just might have to buy it and spray it on all day. Kidding!!!!!

While I really enjoy GIT and love Green Valley I have tired of the constant issues with the brand and have found solace with other fine houses. (Caron, EdP Malle). GIT and Green Valley stay in my wardrobe, but no more.
    Last edited by richard d; 9th October 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Hi bfree,

Cheers, Jim

You also want to be careful before implying any Creed product has even a tiny asset around here lest you risk being hounded by the Basenotes "Everything Creed sucks" mafia.

My experience here has shown these guys are much more vocal.

Cheers!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Blog Entries

Thanks for the detailed analysis, hirch_duckfinder. The scent progression you describe in both your new and old posts sounds really excellent, and I will watch for it when I test this one. Thanks to petitgrain, this has moved to the top of my test list.