Code of Conduct

Default It's the Amber that matters

How many times have any of you picked up a frag just for the Amber? And how many times have you picked up a frag.. taken by the way the Amber was handled in it? And how many times did you think to yourself.. "Oh my god... this is BEAUTIFUL!".

As I progress in my scent hobby I've found myself to be HUGE on Incense, Ambers and Muscs. And that brings me to Profumum's Fiori d'Ambra. As hard as I try I cannot shake the thoughts of it from my mind. It's literally haunting my very thoughts, it keeps taking me back to that moment of olfactory immersion where I was er...drowning.. in the ethreal magic of Fiori d'Ambra. I can't stress enough how good it is on my skin, and I'd imagine it'll work wonders on any type of skin, mostly.

LS lists only two notes for it : Amber gris and Opium.

Now I've never smelled Opium before but I think ..*think*.. its that note which smelled like subtle chemical treated plastic when I smelled it up close on my wrist, pressing my nose to my wrist moments after application. It didn't feel any special to me at that point. Thankfully I didn't wash it off and decided to give it a chance... and thank god I did.... It's drydown is something else ... and albeit a bit linear, I think that's the beauty of it. Also, I don't see many mentions of Fiori d'Ambra here on Basenotes either and I'm not sure why. It's one of the best from Profumum, up there with Olibanum, Ichnusia etc.

I'd highly recommend Fiori d'Ambra to everyone seeking an Amber frag. You owe it to yourself to try it, and give it a full wearing to see what it's about

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: It's the Amber that matters

Great suggestions! I'll check those out.

I'm just here to say that I was disappointed at the lack of any Amber in Prada Amber pour Homme. What happened there?

Thanks Dynendal

Unfortunately, I haven't tested the Prada yet so can't comment on it.

i actually have samples on the way of Profumum, so cant wait...u should try Tom Ford Amber Absolute...bought it immediately when i first smelt it!h
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

Thanks for the recommendation aboodchy

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Great suggestions! I'll check those out.

I'm just here to say that I was disappointed at the lack of any Amber in Prada Amber pour Homme. What happened there?
    Well, amber is afterall, a composition and not an individual note. The amber is in there, in the drydown; mainly an accord composed of Labdanum I think, which is why so many reviews on here say its "sickly sweet". I think not. The amber is subtle, and lingers with the suede and cardamom. I think Prada is a great comfort scent and everyday wear in cooler weather, although not a classic amber interpretation.
    Last edited by runstile; 24th October 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Javagreen, this is a nice post. I love amber too and perhaps my favorite amber is Ambre Sultan from Serge Lutens. However, I am about to purchase something today that I thought I would never purchase in the last two years simply because I love the take on amber in it. This is also a milestone for me because this will be the sweetest scent I have ever purchased which makes some say that it leans to the fem side of the counter. Ok, without keeping you guessing any longer, this is totally shocking for me but now I get what the big bald Scott Mod (Col) has been known to throw a fuss over. Yes, it is Gaultier 2. I know. I can't help it though. I love the sensuous Amber in it and although I hate vanilla fragrances for the most part, this in no way resembles Le Male. I love the grape, bubblegum character and the Amber that is warmed by a liquid vanilla. It is so smooth and yummy. Have I gone mad? Am I crazy? I feel that I can contribute Amber to the star of Gaultier 2 and is what makes the vanilla pleasant and comforting instead of my usual vile reactions to it. I hope this was the appropriate place to post this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Javagreen, this is a nice post. I love amber too and perhaps my favorite amber is Ambre Sultan from Serge Lutens. However, I am about to purchase something today that I thought I would never purchase in the last two years simply because I love the take on amber in it. This is also a milestone for me because this will be the sweetest scent I have ever purchased which makes some say that it leans to the fem side of the counter. Ok, without keeping you guessing any longer, this is totally shocking for me but now I get what the big bald Scott Mod (Col) has been known to throw a fuss over. Yes, it is Gaultier 2. I know. I can't help it though. I love the sensuous Amber in it and although I hate vanilla fragrances for the most part, this in no way resembles Le Male. I love the grape, bubblegum character and the Amber that is warmed by a liquid vanilla. It is so smooth and yummy. Have I gone mad? Am I crazy? I feel that I can contribute Amber to the star of Gaultier 2 and is what makes the vanilla pleasant and comforting instead of my usual vile reactions to it. I hope this was the appropriate place to post this.
    I haven't had the opportunity to test Gaultier 2 so i'll have to keep a lookout for it now

And yes this is indeed an appropriate place to post this because based on what I gather from your post, the way the Amber is done in Gaultier 2 is one of the contributing factors to your making the purchase.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition!

A plain, simple and inexpensive amber fragrance that is jaw-droppingly good - Ambre by Cote Bastide.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    How many times have any of you picked up a frag just for the Amber? And how many times have you picked up a frag.. taken by the way the Amber was handled in it? And how many times did you think to yourself.. "Oh my god... this is BEAUTIFUL!".

:
    Like you I find myself draw more toward the amber/musk/ oriental notes, especially as the weather starts to cool down. I bought Ambre 114 solely for the awesome amber note in it, and was tempted to buy Blue Amber for the same reason. I was expecting something more musky when first sampled L'Ombre Fauve but the mix of amber with the animalic musk sold me instantly. The way that PG do amber is part of the reason I find myself liking a lot of the line from this house. I think that a well done amber accord is one of the nicest smells in perfumery.
    Last edited by surreality; 11th October 2008 at 08:45 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

That definitely sounds like a great suggestion. Thanks TwoRoads

Also, I forgot to mention in my original post that, of all the Profumum's I've tested so far, Fiori d'Ambra is the only one whose sillage dies down on me in about 4 hours. It doesn't completely disappear, though... as I keep getting exotic whiffs of it in between. I wonder what could be the cause of its slightly reduced tenacity... particularly when its so good, I want it to last forever
    Last edited by Amit; 11th October 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: missed a word.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Like you I find myself draw more toward the amber/musk/ oriental notes, especially as the weather starts to cool down. I bought Ambre 114 solely for the awesome amber note in it, and was tempted to buy Blue Amber for the same reason. I was expecting something more musky when first sampled L'Ombre Fauve but the mix of amber with the animalic musk sold me instantly. The way that PG do amber is part of the reason I find myself liking a lot of the line from this house. I think that a well done amber accord is one of the nicest smells in perfumery.
    I've been curious about Montale's Blue Amber myself for a while now. I'm not pushing myself to try it because if I fall in love with it, my wallet'll take another hit

Completely agree with you on the L'Ombre Fauve, it was love at first sniff for me too. A full bottle purchase followed soon after and its become my Holy Grail fragrance for a good reason

Blog Entries

L'eau d'Ambre,one of the most under-rated L'Artisans, is a pretty good scent (although not heavy on amber).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962