Code of Conduct

Default Sur le Nil, aprés la Mousson or en Méditerranée?

Yesterday I received my bottle of sur le nil. Fantastic fragrance, and even though I had never smelled before, I had a deja vú when I first sprayed it. Is that you guys describe fragrances so well or is Elena just too darn predictable? Either way, I was wondering how this one compares with the other two Jardins. Which one is your favorite?

BTW, UJSLN is very much like the song Viva la vida (Why did they chose that name? )
    Last edited by irish; 10th October 2008 at 05:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sur le Nil, aprés la Mousson or en Méditerranée?

My wife likes Nil. I think it's beautiful and exotic, but I think it's too feminine on me, and nicer on her. I like Méditerranée - I think it's hyper-woody and masculine. Both of us like Mousson, but less so than the other two, although I will wear Mousson. My wife has lady friends who prefer Méditerranée.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 10th October 2008 at 06:00 AM. Reason: be bold but consistent!

In order of preference:

1) Nil
    2) Mediterranee
    1e^23) Mousson

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Number 1: Un Jardin sur le Nil: lovely, delicate, fresh, and relaxing.
    Number 2: Un Jardin en Méditerranée: a bit rough; the herbals are kind of harsh to my nose, but not intolerable —nevertheless, I haven't chosen to own it.
    That's it... Après la Mousson is out of the running for me: weak, unfortunately aquatic, it comes a cropper...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

— Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Number 1: Un Jardin sur le Nil: lovely, delicate, fresh, and relaxing.
    Number 2: Un Jardin en Méditerranée: a bit rough; the herbals are kind of harsh to my nose, but not intolerable —nevertheless, I haven't chosen to own it.
    That's it... Après la Mousson is out of the running for me: weak, unfortunately aquatic, it comes a cropper...
    Mousson--my point exactly

Nil: great, but too feminine for my taste
    Mediterranee: I used to like this until someone told me it smelled like hamster bedding (it kinda does)
    Mousson: too much like the fruity Escadas, but with poorer longevity

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Seconding JaimeB and Asha. Nil is fantastic to me, Méditerranée isn't bad either, but the Mousson.. really disappointing if you ask me.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Sur la Plage

Mediterranee is the best, followed closely by Nil.

I am not fond of Mousson - very weak and disappointing.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th October 2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    ...Mediterranee: I used to like this until someone told me it smelled like hamster bedding (it kinda does)...
    LOL! That's a great description of the weaknesses of this scent. Although I like it, Méditerranée seems like the most unchanging of the trio. The cedar seems to bully its way to the front, like a fresh cleaning of the guinea pig cage, as opposed to the graceful entwining of the cedar with the rest of the fragrance in Terre d'Hermès. Granted, the accompanying fig note in Méditerranée is far, far better than those in Fluffy's cage.... but the cedar is still just a bit too rough and harsh - I think Jaime chose the right words. I have to really watch out for overapplication with Méditerranée. It is only when the scent is just a hair too light, and the nose yearns for more, that it loses that harshness.

It seems to me that Mousson is the most complex and non-linear of the trio, but all the action is in the fleeting topnotes, leaving me with a remarkably faithful post-storm sogginess that never seems to lift. Ugh. Let the blazing orange sun come out!

These are very interesting comments. And great thread question.
    I really like Nil. I don't think it is feminine at all. I'll grant that it is unisex (or better, that it can be enjoyed by men as well as women). But I think all the Jardin scents are intended to be that sort of scent. I appreciate what I like to think is a papyrus note in Nil (it is some kind of essence of a reed). That seems so appropriate for an Egyptian-inspired scent. That note gives depth and interest to the well-done citrus notes.
    Mediterranee -- gittin' figgy with it. I'm not a big fan of fig-centered scents. However, I admit that Med is the best I've sampled of that sort. So I'll revisit it and see what I think. It is quite nice apart from that fruity element.
    And Mousson -- the aquatic note is... an aquatic note. I usually don't care for that type of note. And the melon note is... a melon note. Likewise. So my current thinking is that I don't like Mousson at all. But I'll revisit that in a while.
    I think Hermes is a good house. I certainly like Equipage! And now I'm also happy with Nil.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

I would definitely say that Nil is by far the most original and distinctive of the trio. My wife simply stole the bottle when it arrived - perhaps I should have fought her for it! In fact, too late I seem to detect an ulterior motive in her assessment of it being overly feminine on me.

Hermès is a favorite house for both of us, too. My wife is planning a visit "back to civilization" (NYC), and I will devise some fiendish form of flagship fragrance fetching (bois-ha-ha!) That will teach her to think twice about messing with this Hermès Hooligan.

I prefer the mango one. Le Nil is the best.

I prefer Mediterranee. In summers it has become my "sport" scent. Sur le Nil seems too harsh to me, and I've smelled some testers in Sephora that were absolutely rancid (who knows how long they'd been out?).

Since I'm an Ellena and Hermes fan, I figured I'd like all of these, but once I finally got to try them I was very disappointed. None of them were bad but none of them did anything for me either... At one point I almost bought them blind (as I did with Eau de Mervellies), but I'm glad I didn't because I'd never wear them.

Of the three I like Mousson the best, the other two tied for second.

I like Un Jardin Sur Le Nil a lot. I don't like the other two at all.

Default Re: Sur le Nil, après la Mousson or en Méditerranée?

Interesting.

What I am reading here about Méditerranée is the complete opposite from what I remmeber reading earlier. I guess I have to sample it.

I did not find UJSLN to be that feminine. Certainly unisex.But not much more feminine than CK one, Chrome, brit, AdP Colonia... i like it.

i have sur le nil...the other two didnt wow me...but they werent bad either
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

The more time I spend with Le Nil, the more I like it. It's both pleasant and very interesting and a great unisex frag in the modern, transparent style.

Blog Entries

I like and use all three but, in order of preferance: 1. Sur Le Nil, 2. Apres la mousson, 3. Mediterranee. All three are quality fragrances.

Mediterranee hands down! I didn't care for the vegetal swine that is Mousson. Mousson has to be JCE biggest professional dissapointment. Even when I sample it with an open mind, I still can't see the need for this.

I haven't tried Mousson yet; sounded too "feminine" and/or aquatic. Nil also sounds like something I wouldn't like. I do like Méditerranée, but more as an interesting smell than as a frag to wear.

I think Mediterranee is the more complex frag, but I prefer sur le Nil personally. Love the green mango note. Haven't tried Mousson yet...
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Basenotes Institution

Irish - there is no comparing the three Jardin scents IMO. They are entirely different creations and IMO they don't share any common link.

I love Un Jardin Sur le Nil the best. If you like the scent, you should definitely try the body lotion. It's fantastic, simply because it extends the green mango note for much longer than it lasts in the EdT.

I thought Un Jardin Mediteranee was very nice but not FBW (plus I received as a gift Green, green, green and green #3 by Miller et Bertaux and it is a UJM clone making owning a bottle of UJM obsolete).

I hate Un Jardin Apres la Mousson. Just horrible stuff.

I have a bottle of Un Jardin Mediterranee. Sur le Nil is nice, but not FBW for me.
    I tried Apres la Mousson last week and I am sorry to say it was a scrubber for me.

All three of them are fine fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Irish - there is no comparing the three Jardin scents IMO. They are entirely different creations and IMO they don't share any common link.

I love Un Jardin Sur le Nil the best. If you like the scent, you should definitely try the body lotion. It's fantastic, simply because it extends the green mango note for much longer than it lasts in the EdT.

I thought Un Jardin Mediteranee was very nice but not FBW (plus I received as a gift Green, green, green and green #3 by Miller et Bertaux and it is a UJM clone making owning a bottle of UJM obsolete).

I hate Un Jardin Apres la Mousson. Just horrible stuff.
    Thanks for your recommendation. I generally do not use body lotion but that mango note may be worth the change.

I was planning to buy a bottle of Angeliques sous la pluie, but I have found a good replacement.

I have to agree with most that le Nil and Mediterranee are the best. Or, mango and fig.

Mousson is indeed a very Hermes unworthy, boring aquatic without definable character.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

It think I'll really have to try Sur le Nil for my Fiji trip Sounds like something the missus and I could share.
    I tried Mousson the other day - reminded me of Ralph (females version), but with half the longevity
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Well, so far it looks like Nil is the clear favorite. I count 13 votes for it. Med is second-ranked, with 6. Hardly anyone is speaking strongly for Mousson.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

At first trying I really disliked Mousson, but later slowly it got nearer to my heart. Nil is not bad, but a bit too feminine and simple to my taste, which is not true of Mousson.
    In the case of Mousson wait about 15-20 minutes for the initial melon notes to disappear.

I think I need to add that when JCE created Mousson, he captured the vegetative, very watery essence of the environment that inspired him, in that, he was a success. However, I feel that the fragrance itself is not a success judging by what I would have like for him to put out. But there again, it is not all about me.

My thought generally, and with Mousson in particular, is as follows.
    Life is short. If I have to put up with a dodgy opening to get to a better finish, then that finish had better be a-mazing!! & Mousson's finish isn't worth the wait, IMO.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm