Code of Conduct

Default SotW October 4th-10th, 2008

Welcome to week 32 Basenotes Nation. This was a highly interesting week with some new scents elbowing their way into the top 10. To start we set the table with the raw numbers. There were 1,161 posts this week covering 674 different scents. 449 of those scents were posted once for an individuality index of 38.7%. As Iíve been tracking lately we posted 60 (8.9%) scents for the first time this week. Even with the servers out for about 24 hours the numbers didnít take much of a dip this week. Although they were slightly lower than the previous couple of weeks that did not feature website downtime. The individuality index has been trending lower as of late. I donít have a theory for that but it is a trend.
    The big 5 had an interesting week with two of them having very low weeks. The top of the heap is Guerlain which led the way in number of wears with 92 and number of scents worn with 28. The leader of the house is the same leader for the last nine weeks; Vetiver with 17 wears in the #1 spot. Interestingly Habit Rouge finished in the #2 spot this week at 13 wears and was actually in the lead going in to Thursday. Mitsouko makes for a third Guerlain in the top 10 in a tie for fifth. Mitsouko makes the fifth spot on the basis of a pretty unisex week of wears. It also gives Guerlain 3 of the top 5. There was a Sniff Ďn Speak day to start the week centered around amber and Serge Lutens benefitted from that as Ambre Sultan racked up 10 wears for the week with most of them coming on the weekend but that was good enough for a tie for third. Serge Lutens posted 50 wears over 20 scents as a house for the week. Chanel also had a good week as it posted the second highest amount of scents worn of the big 5 with 22 on the support of 41 wears. The most worn Chanel was Coco with 6 wears which was good enough to tie for fourteenth. Then we come to the two remaining houses which both only charted 29 wears for the week. Creed had its 29 wears spread over 11 scents led by the other scent in third Bois du Portugal with 10 wears. Hermes had its 29 wears worn over 12 scents led by Terre DĒHermes with 7 wears, good enough for a tie at #8. Overall the big 5 accounted for 241 (20.8%) wears over 93 (13.8%) scents.
    With a couple of the big 5 down those wears seemed to show up in new highs for a couple of houses. Montale saw Black Aoud and Red Vetyver both make the top 10 with seven wears apiece and that led Montale to a new House record. Parfumerie Generale also had its highest week ever on a lot of sampling although there was no one scent standing out but a lot of sampling going on. There was a thread in the forums that might have motivated some members of the community to get their Parfumerie Generale samples and bottles off the shelf and on their skin. There were some houses that were still down but individual scents performed very well. Comme des Garcons is still down from its heights in the summer but Avignon is seeing increased wears in the cooler weather. Burberry was down but Burberry Brit for Men posted its first top 10 in the group tied for eighth. Another House which benefitted from Sniff ní Speak Saturday was Jo Malone which saw its total rise 80% over its average based on sharply increased wears of Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. Ava Luxe had a very big week fueled mainly by the nine wears Loveís True Bluish Light logged in putting it in a tie for fifth. Ralph Lauren had its second highest week ever and was led by the new scent Polo Modern Reserve which got five wears as it begins the sampling phase of a new scent. On the down side LíArtisan after a return to average last week dropped back down this week. Aramis had a down week, off 50%. Penhaligonís had its worst week on two lonely wears of Castile.
    On the individual scent front, Tauer Líair du Desert Marocain continues to post an impressive string of strong weeks with 9 wears tying it for fifth. Le Labo Rose 31 rounds out the top 10 in the group tied for eighth with 7 wears. Rose 31 has rebounded quite nicely in the last month. A couple of interesting notes outside the top 10 were Anne Pliska had a renaissance on the womenís side seeing five wears this week. Guerlain Homme got some company in the new scent race this week with Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve. Overall this was a much more unisex top 10 than weíve had recently as the top 10 has more female wears represented by 40% of the wears that make up the top 10 up from the 28% average.
    Here is the top 10 for October 4th-10th, 2008
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 17 wears (1.5%)
    2.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 13 wears (1.1%)
    3.) Creed Bois du Portugal 10 wears (0.9%)
    3.) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan 10 wears (0.9%)
    5.) Ava Luxe Loveís True Bluish Light 9 wears (0.8%)
    5.) Guerlain Mitsouko 9 wears (0.8%)
    5.) Tauer LíAir du Desert Marocain 9 wears (0.8%)
    8.) Burberry Brit for Men 7 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Comme des Garcons Avignon 7 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Hermes Terre DíHermes 7 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Le Labo Rose 31 7 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Montale Black Aoud 7 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Montale Red Vetyver 7 wears (0.6%)

There were eleven scents in the just missed category with six wears. Three ambers from the SnS wears in Parfum DíEmpire Ambre Russe, Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguile, and Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. Two Yves St. Laurent scents in Kouros and Opium pour Homme. Chanel Coco, Guerlain Jicky were the ladiesí contributions. Tom Ford for Men, Azzaro pour Homme and Creed Millesime Imperiale came from the guys. Bvlgari Black was pretty unisex in its wear this week.
    Thatís a wrap on Week 32.
    As always, you keep wearing Ďem and Iíll keep counting Ďem
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW October 4th-10th, 2008

Once again, congratulations on a masterful job of trying to make sense out of the scented!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Excellent job once again, MSS. BTW, I'm a bit surprised that none of my top 3 in rotation could muster even an honorable mention this week: Dior Homme, Rive Gauche PH, and Acqua di Parma Assoluta. At least one of these have been in the top 10 off and on for several weeks now, but they were apparently shut out this week.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th October 2008 at 01:27 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    BTW, I'm a bit surprised that none of my top 3 in rotation could muster even an honorable mention this week: Dior Homme, Rive Gauche PH, and Acqua di Parma Assoluta. At least one of these have been in the top 10 off and on for several weeks now, but they were apparently shut out this week.
    You spread yourself too evenly this week as all three of the scents you mentioned posted five wears apiece leaving them two wears outside of the top 10.
    You're going to have to commit to one of your faves to get it back into the elite.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Snafoo, you could always recruit if you want to get the numbers up

"Burberry Brit" gained a place in the top ten? I will try it again!
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)