Code of Conduct

Default Le Mâle (what an original topic)

Hey guys,

I know Le Mâle by JPG is one of the best selling fragrances in the world.
    But I have a question about the average customer of Le Mâle:
    Do younger guys (18-25) wear it much? And if they are, is there a certain style/attitude that goes along with it? Because I don't seem to smell it (much) in my university but I think a lot of lower educated people wear it? (at least this is a thought of me -> I don't want to sound insulting)
    Do you have any idea what is the targeted group & the age-category of the buyers of Le Mâle?
    Last edited by Desmond Hume; 13th October 2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: didn't read my first post well

Default Re: Le Mâle (what an original topic)

I have to second your thoughts. I go to university myself and never smelled le Male. I am new to fragrances, but le Male is a scent one can distinguish from any other even without much knowledge about scents. Also non of my closer friends use it. But well I have to admit that I often smell it and see that sailor bottle by guys I know, that have not been to an more advancing school (I do not know how to descripe it better, because I am not of the UK or US) or even university. Also my friends said so and agree with your idee. Even I am not judging people generally by their appearence, I do often think something like "That is typical for somebody looking like that using le Male..." Not nice of mine, but well at least im honest...
    Last edited by BenMac; 13th October 2008 at 06:00 PM.

I live in a very conservative area with a lot of "traditionalists" or those they stick with their roots. If something works, you never change. That's PA Dutch Country for you.

Never smelled Le Male on anyone around here young or old. It's mostly Chrome, Curve, Polo or AdG.

I think that it is more targeted to the younger demographic of teenagers and people in their young 20's. I could be wrong but it is a simple scent with a very basic note composition. It seems like a good starter scent for people just getting into fragrances or just for people who don't really want to search to long for a decent scent. It's versatile enough to make it popular amongst those kinds of people, but who knows if it is targeted to that young group.

Basenoters who own le male should be banned!

I smelled it today at sephora, it smelled very closely to Rocahs man or am I offbase?

I did not spray it on my arm so maybe drydown is very different, but did not want to smell at work like vanilla today so was not sure

Not to toot my own horn here, but in College, years ago, I used to wear Le Male and I went to an good university and after that a good law school. So based upon my own experiences I have to disagree with your point.

i go to a college which really only uses chanel allure, its crazy, every day its like who can wear the most. quite nice as its my fav scent yet i cant wear it at college so i stand out with d and g. smell le male in clubs and stuff quite alot.

Dependent

essentially Le Male is the epitome of JPGi himself, essentric, unpredictable and dramatically loud. I believe if u read up a little on le male, u;ll realise that it is a mambo of notes fused for fun. and became a cult hit since. ive used le male in my teens a decade back and im still in touch with it, im currently using the summer 08 limited edition le male. it is lighter and zestier. i do still prefer the original tho. its targetted at whoever appreciates his work. i rem in my teens to have owned a couple of his signature dragoon embossed long leather wallets. i believe i had 6-7 of them. clothig wise, its pretty difficult to be wearingn his coutre wok it in Singapore and not get stares of alieantion. i believe blue jeans and le male share the same concept of mix and mash. its not fresh entirely. fun would be a more suitable description. Ive used at least 3-4 le male flankers to date and my fave being the pure white. ive used them in clubs, uni campus etc. either u appreciate it or u dont. this scent is neither here nor there and simply doesnt fit into a specific demograph of users. ive yet to his the big 30, but im sure i'll be collecting all the flankers for as long as they produce them. this summer's theme is great, with african-esque theme to boot. alc free
    Last edited by MFJ; 13th October 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I wear it on the odd occasion and as far as I'm aware I'm not 'lowly educated'.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 13th October 2008 at 06:56 PM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Dependent

and im sorry to have to mention it, but i dont think that your hyphothetical mentioning of "lower educated" ppl can come off as anything but offensive. there is sumpremely no need for any academic standards to be brought into taste for frags. my very honest 2 cents.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I smelled it today at sephora, it smelled very closely to Rocahs man or am I offbase?

I did not spray it on my arm so maybe drydown is very different, but did not want to smell at work like vanilla today so was not sure
    quite so. its nothing like rochas imo.... its closer to blue jeans

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    and im sorry to have to mention it, but i dont think that your hyphothetical mentioning of "lower educated" ppl can come off as anything but offensive. there is sumpremely no need for any academic standards to be brought into taste for frags. my very honest 2 cents.
    I agree 100%; insulting to even draw that connection; just does not make any rational sense. I am not trying to say you should not have made that comment bc I feel you have the right to say what is on your mind; I just disagree that is all.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 13th October 2008 at 07:05 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    I agree 100%; insulting to even draw that connection; just does not make any rational sense. I am not trying to say you should not have made that comment bc I feel you have the right to say what is on your mind; I just disagree that is all.
    thanks for the heads up, i didnt want to come off as uptight myself. im just going to shelve if it as a survey, looking at how the quesntions were asked in that order.

i guess a very bad experience in another forum stuck to me hard when a member expressed suspicion and inplied of my lack of honesty that i could afford a custom made pair of footie cleats coz he was certain SIngapore is like "afghanistan where people live in huts" word for word.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    thanks for the heads up, i didnt want to come off as uptight myself. im just going to shelve if it as a survey, looking at how the quesntions were asked in that order.

i guess a very bad experience in another forum stuck to me hard when a member expressed suspicion and inplied of my lack of honesty that i could afford a custom made pair of footie cleats coz he was certain SIngapore is like "afghanistan where people live in huts" word for word.
    Wow, very ignorant, I am sorry you had to experience that BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    Hey guys,

I know Le Mâle by JPG is one of the best selling fragrances in the world.
    But I have a question about the average customer of Le Mâle:
    Do younger guys (18-25) wear it much? And if they are, is there a certain style/attitude that goes along with it? Because I don't seem to smell it (much) in my university but I think a lot of lower educated people wear it? (at least this is a thought of me -> I don't want to sound insulting)
    Do you have any idea what is the targeted group & the age-category of the buyers of Le Mâle?
    It is certainly targeted towards younger guys and I would think an older person ( 26 years or older) would come across to me as immature for wearing it. It is feminine and sensual, so it fits the younger age group of today. As well, women like it, which is a huge reason for most young men to wear scents.

As far as lower educatd people, I don't know if it is specific to that demographic. Perfumes are not cheap, even at half the price. But if you mean lower educated people subscribe to mass market brands, that may be true. But so do higher educated people.

Either way, I hope you stay away from this scent. I know you could do far better

Apparently, it's so popular that there are a ton of fakes out there (though it's not my cup of tea, due to simplicity, not sweetness) !

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Wow, very ignorant, I am sorry you had to experience that BS.
    well i guess we all deserve a 2nd chance, hope i didnt sound to uptight over Jokke qns, probably an honest wrong choice of words.

case closed

ps. i majored in media law, and Media in Society but that doesnt make me a lawyer, far from it :P

Alright, matthewfoo, with lower education I meant the "Lonsdale-I don't like foreigners-let's jump!"-type of guys, because most of them are wearing Le Mâle (where I live...)
    This is the last thing I will say about it, I don't like to be in the middle of a discussion.

No worry Jokke , I understand what you meant. You were not implying that certain people are lower educated, but frags like Le Male may be typically worn by a certain demographic and person. But just like anything, it is a generalization.

But, a few years back, I associated D&G Pour Homme with "chain wearing suburban teens". And for a large part, it was a correct generalization, but when something is soo popular it is worn by many types of individuals.

There are actually a couple of doctors here at my hospital who wear Le Male. I bought it for my very best friend who is currently working on his master's. All of them are beyond "The Demographic" and smell absolutely amazing when they wear it. It doesn't matter to me what a fragrance may have been targeted for. What you need to be more concerned with is if you washed thoroughly and effectively, and if that cologne you think was made for your demographic even mixes with your body chemistry. Funky is funky in any demographic.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

When I first smelled Le Male, I bought a bottle. I wore it perhaps two to three times, then something must have happened to my skin chemistry or my nose was off the first few times, because the next time I tried it, it smelled like toothpaste.

I couldn't get past it, even though it was only the opening, so I sold the bottle.

Anyways, as I see it, Le Male is generally worn to clubs and bars and such, and is not really a "daytime" frag. As Divatologist pointed out though, there are exceptions. It just wasn't for me.

For the record, this was last year, and I was 29 at the time. I've never been in a night club.

As for a frag impressing the ladies, I only need to impress one, and she goes gaga over Dunhill Desire, so I prefer that over the JPG.

I think it's worn by such a wide variety of people but targeted at younger guys (18-29) who wanna smell sexy not necessarily smart- guys who want to upgrade from Axe to something that smells fancier but is as universally appealing. I'm always surprised when people I know wear it because I thought it was kind of dated but I think it's somehow revived through 90s nostalgia. Even a girlfriend of mine has worn it.

Blog Entries

I used to own Le Male when I started out about 10 months ago (wow, it's been that long?). I used to like it a lot, I bought a big bottle of it and wore it all the time. Then I got tired of it quickly after nauseating myself with too many sprays. The milky stale smelling vanilla got to me. That was my learning phase with "sillage". After a while, it just wasn't my cup of tea. The scent is sorta feminine, loud, and a little obnoxious. Not to say it was a bad scent. It's definitely aimed towards the younger crowd you wants to make a statement. I'm 27, but I act probably 6-7 years younger than that (I'm just giving myself a little credit here, I could have said 12-13 years younger, LOL).

Anyway, about it smelling like toothpaste, it's the mint. LOL.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 17th October 2008 at 06:51 AM.

I think I concur with some of the assessments made here regarding the demographics of the typical Le Male users - including the ones that are hard to phrase in a political correct way.

Moving towards 30 age-wise, I still happen to like it, but only when layered with Jovan Musk Oil. Works wonderfully and gives the original Le Male a good deal of extra masculinity.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 17th October 2008 at 03:32 PM.

I don't smell it as all that feminine, but its certainly not hypermasculine.
    I can imagine it being done tastefully when combined with the right stuff... Its obviously not a complicated mix, I'm sure it can find a pocket inside something else.

One of my former professors wears it, he's 50. It fits him and doesn't seem like he's grasping at his youth (which, from the stories he's told me... was pretty much awesome).

I liked it, then I stopped liking it, then I liked it again, then I hated it, then I just don't care.
    Its a familiar smell... nothing more nothing less.

Le Male WOW...........this topic always amazes me. I am glad I live in a small town where everyone only wears Armani's, Polo's, Adidas and those scents. Keep in mind where I am from people think wearing Armani cologne somehow is equal to them wearing an Armani suit. They think Acqua Di Gio is expensive stuff LoL. Anyway Le Male works for the general public but doesn't for basenotes simply because basenoters are on another level. They can break down scents they detail every note. The general public has two thoughts to cologne and they are that smells good or that smells bad there is no in between. Le Male just happens to fall into the that smells good category. Yeah it is not a very detailed scent and I understand where basenoters would hate it but all in all it smells good and in many ways that is all that matters to the general public.
    Last edited by tbp82; 17th October 2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Thumbs down Re: Le Mâle (what an original topic)

The general public has two thoughts to cologne and they are that smells good or that smells bad there is no in between. Le Male just happens to fall into the that smells good category
    Disagree with these two points. General public is mostly swayed by marketing and popularity. 80 % of mainstream scents smell "good". Also, the scent has to "hit" them immediatly as a "good smell".

And Le Male does not smell good once one has gone at least 20 bottles into an addictive habit .

I second what you said. I'm in my now late 30's, and I've gotten more questions and complements from Issey L'eau Pour Homme than any Bond No. 9. Sadly. Maybe it's my darn skin.

The reviewers here have an exquisite sense of taste. And smell. And interest. And intellect. As I wear scents to please the people around me, I've been finding I have to "simply". If "Le Male" fits the bill, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
    Le Male WOW...........this topic always amazes me. I am glad I live in a small town where everyone only wears Armani's, Polo's, Adidas and those scents. Keep in mind where I am from people think wearing Armani cologne somehow is equal to them wearing an Armani suit. They think Acqua Di Gio is expensive stuff LoL. Anyway Le Male works for the general public but doesn't for basenotes simply because basenoters are on another level. They can break down scents they detail every note. The general public has two thoughts to cologne and they are that smells good or that smells bad there is no in between. Le Male just happens to fall into the that smells good category. Yeah it is not a very detailed scent and I understand where basenoters would hate it but all in all it smells good and in many ways that is all that matters to the general public.

I guess it really depends on where you live. I've only smelled Le Male in public twice. On both occassions, the people wearing it were well-dressed men in their early to mid 30's. Both occassions also took place in a bar/night club environment.

Idonno, I really like Le Male. I don't own it and I never have, but its a serious frag. It does seem a bit teenagery to me, but thats mostly packaging (I suppose frags targeted at an older more sophisticated demographic come in simple bottles such as lutens, malle, goutal, creed, etc) - but really its how you wear it. Its not "so" different from Musc Ravageur once out of the bottle afterall.

Here in The Netherlands Le Male is the absolute high school scent. At least it was 4 years ago when I finished high school. I have to admit, in high school I went through 3 bottles of this juice too. Funny thing is that Le Male is a victim of it's own popularity. It's so popular that not only Basenoters or people who are into fragrances dislike it because it's popularity, but even simple teenagers that know nothing about scents don't buy it cause : "everyone else already has it"
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

I would say the biggest age group, at least in Montreal, is something like 16 to 21. And then for some reason, classy 30 year olds (I'm guessing they just kept wearing it since it's release in the mid 90s). It doesn't bother me so much that everyone has it, but it bothers me that it's mostly worn by douchebags (pardon the expression). On the rare occasion that I go to a hip hop club instead of an indie rock club or a show somewhere, I swear to god I could simply pick out the biggest narcissistic, sleezy, muscle head in the club by following his extremely oversprayed trail of le male.

What a horrible association to have with le male, since I consider it to be a masterpiece! The douchebag thing doesn't keep me from wearing it though
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 18th November 2008 at 12:27 AM.
    Sales thread here

Morning Star

I love Le Mâle, and will probably buy some at some point. And there may have been members of my doctoral dissertation defense committee who felt I was uneducated, but they had the good grace to sign anyway. Personally, I think the whole idea of trying to peg someone demographically based upon what fragrance they wear is laughable.