Code of Conduct

Default linden or elder tree blossom

Hello perfume lovers,
    There are so many wonderful scents, but there is always that special one. I mean: in nature. If a perfume can get as close as the scents of nature is the question. But I am willing to give it a try.
    I specially love the scent of the blossoms from a tree I think is the Linden tree. They grow along the street where I live. Only one month of the year they blossom ( may or june) and the scent is so beautiful, almost overwhelming. I am looking for that kind of scent.
    There is another scent I really love and it is the blossom of the elder tree. It''s a bit like the Linden. The only perfume that gets a bit close is Guerlain's Apres l'Ondee. But to my taste it's a bit too sharp, I like it more ''sticky'', Hard to discribe.
    So, any of you with suggestions, I am happy to hear.
    Thanks a lot.

Default Re: linden or elder tree blossom

Guerlain's Aroma Allegoria Apaisant (soothing) edp has linden blossom listed as a note and it does have a beautiful gentle sweetness to it that is very spring-like to my nose. It's discontinued but pops up on *bay sometimes. I've just checked the directory here and you can do a search by note - just scroll down to the green triangle and put in the note you're interested in (or notes, just separate them with commas). I put in Linden and got a nice longish list of possibles, including Alaya Moriel's Tirzah, which sounded gorgeous and right up your street.

I love elderflowers (honderbluten in German, fleurs de sureau in French) and am completely addicted to spritzers made with elderflower cordial and fizzy water. I've not seen the flower as a note and there aren't any listed in the directory, but it would be great, especially in something cooling for summer, with a squeeze of citrus and a little nip of woods or ginger to make it last on the skin. Looking forward to hearing what's out there.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Re: Linden--

I really like my bottle of Provence Santé "Linden" (Tilleul) -- eBay seller frenchmaison carries it. 100ml, $30-- that's about what it costs in local shops here, too. This version is quite strong and very long lasting. This is not a scent I feel like wearing every day-- I have to be really in the mood for linden, but when I am, nothing I've smelled beats this one. There are also body/hand lotions and soaps in this line.

I recently got a sample (a small bubble-pack) of D'Orsay "Tilleul" from Beauty Cafe and found it weaker and rather short-lived-- and much, much more expensive. It is less sweet than the Provence Santé version.

There is also linden in L'Artisan's "Eté en Douce" but I do not like the perfume as a whole.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th October 2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: corrected error

Smile Re: linden or elder tree blossom

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

I really like my bottle of Provence Santé "Linden" (Tilleul) -- eBay seller frenchmaison carries it. 100ml, $30-- that's about what it costs in local shops here, too. This version is quite strong and very long lasting. This is not a scent I feel like wearing every day-- I have to be really in the mood for linden, but when I am, nothing I've smelled beats this one. There are also body/hand lotions and soaps in this line.

I recently got a sample (a small bubble-pack) of sampled D'Orsay "Tilleul" from Beauty Cafe and found it weaker and rather short-lived-- and much, much more expensive. It is less sweet than the Provence Santé version.

There is also linden in L'Artisan's "Eté en Douce" but I do not like the perfume as a whole.
    30 Roses, you took all the words right out of my mouth, and said them better than I would have been able to.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    30 Roses, you took all the words right out of my mouth, and said them better than I would have been able to.
    With the wide range of perfume knowledge on this site, that must be an unusual event!

I often feel I have so little to contribute! I thought I was a perfume fanatic until I found Basenotes-- now I realize I am a mere babe.
    So many perfumes, so little time....

Linden is such a strage note. I smelled real linden absolute, and it smells nothing like a linden tree in bloom. I think most of the perfumers who create accords use lime, watermelon, and grassy notes in combination, along with a little sweetness, like honey. I tried D'Orsey Tilleul and Diptyque Tilleul, and they both smelled realistic. It's a light note, though, and not terribly tenacious. If it had a heavy base, it would cover up the realistic linden flower accord. Just get one and apply often.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

I really like my bottle of Provence Santé "Linden" (Tilleul) -- eBay seller frenchmaison carries it. 100ml, $30-- that's about what it costs in local shops here, too. This version is quite strong and very long lasting.
    I second this one. I love it. You can also get it at Beautyhabit.com.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

I know what you mean, 30 Roses. And I am learning so much. I just wish I could try everything I read about on this site.
    Last edited by Leesee; 14th October 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We visited Southampton, NY one summer when the linden trees were in bloom. We were on foot on S. Main St. visiting historical buildings, and had just crossed the intersection with Linden Lane, when the air was suddenly filled with the scent of the blossoms. I just wanted to stand there and smell, and smell....

That is the memory that the Provence Santé scent brings back for me. I wish we had some linden trees in our area!

Everybody, thanks a lot!!!
    I am going on my search for Provence Sante and indeed I agree: too little time!!! Wherever I go - another city, another country - I have to look for a perfume shop. It's really terrible. But I am glad I am not the only one. It is addictive. Strangely the Dutch don't seem to have that kind of thing. I don''t know why.
    I let you people know what I think about Provence Sante Linden.

Greetings!

I do the perfume shop thing, too, cornelia. When I used to travel more, it got to be a joke with my traveling companions. They knew that no matter where, no matter what, if I happened upon a perfume shop that was where I would stay, for hours on end.

Leesee,

Funny you have the same thing.
    As I said, in Holland exclusive perfume shops are rare. As far as I know 3 cities have perfume shops with more brands than the usual Dior and Guerlain. Maybe it's true what foreighners say about the Dutch: that we are too carefull with money.
    I have to get my stuff from Germany (Wuchsa).
    Perfume shops have a strong attraction to me, all the bottles, the smell, the testing of the several perfumes. I love it. In Londen I bumped into a boutique with so many brands. I got all excited. And ended up with nothing, it was too much.

I once tried wearing D'Orsays Tilleul on one wrist... and Un Jardin apres la monsoon on the other. Interestingly enough, I seem to smell something a bit like linden in the Hermés fragrance. I know most people hate it, but I do like it and enjoy "experimenting" with it.

Blog Entries

Purplebird and I tried D'Orsay's 'Tilleul' and Delrae's 'Amoureuse' side-by-side. DA is a dead-ringer for 'Tilleuel' except that it is much creamier and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Linden is such a strage note. I smelled real linden absolute, and it smells nothing like a linden tree in bloom. I think most of the perfumers who create accords use lime, watermelon, and grassy notes in combination, along with a little sweetness, like honey. I tried D'Orsey Tilleul and Diptyque Tilleul, and they both smelled realistic. It's a light note, though, and not terribly tenacious. If it had a heavy base, it would cover up the realistic linden flower accord. Just get one and apply often.
    There you go - very unfortunately, the Linden Absolute does not smell like the blooming trees at all, it smells of some healthy herbal tea :0( I wish there was something that would capture the real thing! The Orsay Tilleul isn't bad, but also doesn't knock my socks off. Lately I discovered an Elder Flower Absolute on a suppliers' website, but it's expensive and I have no idea whether it captures the blossoms' scent. I will give report once I have checked it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jazztweety View Post
    There you go - very unfortunately, the Linden Absolute does not smell like the blooming trees at all, it smells of some healthy herbal tea :0( I wish there was something that would capture the real thing! The Orsay Tilleul isn't bad, but also doesn't knock my socks off. Lately I discovered an Elder Flower Absolute on a suppliers' website, but it's expensive and I have no idea whether it captures the blossoms' scent. I will give report once I have checked it out.

here you go with the real thing: http://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/ca...den-blossom-2/

I was wearing a sample of Eau de Noho (not to be confused with Nuits de Noho) by Bond and someone said "mmmm--you smell like linden" (and indeed that should be one of the featured notes). I haven't been close to the rea thing in a while so cannot say how accurate it is.

Jazztweety and PurplebirdI have noticed the same problem with mimosa that you noticed with linden: real mimosa aboslute does not smell like mimosa. It smells a bit like almonds or heliotrope. In fact the more natural and authentic the mimosa perfume, the less it smells like the flower. I'd kill for a good synthetic mimosa that smells like the yellow blooms! Sound slike this is the case with linden, too?
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Linden trees (aka lime blossom trees) line our street. The aroma in the evening this past spring was ethereal, enchanting, heavenly. Jo Malone's "French Lime Blossom" almost perfectly replicated this fragrance for me. I need a bigger bottle; it is one of my favorites!

Jeanie

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I was wearing a sample of Eau de Noho (not to be confused with Nuits de Noho) by Bond and someone said "mmmm--you smell like linden" (and indeed that should be one of the featured notes). I haven't been close to the rea thing in a while so cannot say how accurate it is.

Jazztweety and PurplebirdI have noticed the same problem with mimosa that you noticed with linden: real mimosa aboslute does not smell like mimosa. It smells a bit like almonds or heliotrope. In fact the more natural and authentic the mimosa perfume, the less it smells like the flower. I'd kill for a good synthetic mimosa that smells like the yellow blooms! Sound slike this is the case with linden, too?
    I like Henri Bendel's "Mimosa" if you happen to have that shop near you....

Jeanie

Thanks for this thread - I love linden and will be sampling some of the fragrances metioned here!

The closest to true linden that I know is D'Orsay's Tileul. Most of the Basenoters seem to hate this one but I always have a bottle when I need my linden fix.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post

[
    I second this...i have recently tried Eau de Noho By Bond 9 and it's a perfect linden blossom tree aroma i have ever smelled in a perfume!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber