Code of Conduct

Default LA Sniffapalooza 2008 - Highlights and Reviews

Tovah and I went on Saturday and had ourselves a great time. Hope some of the other So Cal BNers can join us next year.

Rather than give the play-by-play version (which was taking me too long to write), I thought I'd give some highlights and (just a few) lowlights. It seemed to make sense, coming from LA--land of the awards ceremonies--to use the awards format.

So here we go:

*Best presentation: Roxana Villa of Roxana Illuminated Perfumes. Her genuine passion for plants, botanical fragrances, and the environment really shone.
    Favorite Roxana frags: Q (a gorgeous woody frag based on the California oak) and Rosa (wild rose), both from her Californica series.

*Best up-and-coming perfumer: Kristen Michele of Kristen Michele Parfumeur. Her samples were generous and presented beautifully, and her inspiration classic French fragrances. She was also very down-to-earth and very interested in feedback by perfumistas.
    Favorite KMP frags: Epice Orientale, a smooth, subtle, balanced and incredibly long-lasting floriental; and Fleurs Blanches, a very ladylike white-flower fragrance.

*Best sale reps: Strange Invisible Perfumes (knowledgeable and patient); L'Artisan and Diptyque (generous with samples).

*Least favorite sales rep: the rep for Serge Lutens, who was the same SA at Barney's from several weeks earlier (she hovered the entire time and attempted to discourage me from trying Carnal Flower, saying she didn't like it). I saw her and ducked, but Tovah was kind enough to grab me some samples.

*Nicest perfumista (besides Tovah, of course): Raphaella, editor-in-chief of Sniffapalooza magazine. A sweet lady and, of course, very knowledgeable.

*Best new release tested: Nani by Saffron James - finally, a pikake that doesn't shout at me.

*Best releases that were new to my skin:
    Ellie by Ellie D. (another great Michel Roudnitska);
    Amouage Homage (where are lottery winnings when you need them?)
    Czech & Speake Cuba (delicious boozy tobacco floral)
    i Profumi di Firenze Ambra di Nepal (an absolutely gorgeous amber laced with cardamom and vanilla)

*Best schwag: Tied between
    - Apothia goodie bag (good sized-bottles of several fragrances, including Kai and
    Acqua Motu; Diptyque candle; and lots of samples)
    - Strange Invisible Perfumes, which gave us a FB ($175 retail) and the softest organic T-shirt

*Best supporting role: unscented baby wipes
    Last edited by BlackCat; 15th October 2008 at 08:48 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: LA Sniffapalooza 2008 - Highlights and Reviews

Took me a couple passes before I figured RIP meant Roxana Illuminated Perfumes and not Rest In Peace, and therefore not discontinued fumes! Thank goodness, cuz Q (for Quercus no doubt) and Rosa sound very interesting, being a tree-hugging wild-rose lover.

Thanks for presenting the awards ceremony. Your gown is stunning. Who are you wearing?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Second everything BlackCat said!
    BlackCat and I had a ball, and it was, again, fascinating to smell different fragrances reacting with our personal chemistry. We have very similar fragrance taste, but we could easily wear the same fragrance at the same time and I doubt anyone would know. She's a Sweetie - and her personality is perfectly in synch with her chemistry.

I'm not affiliated with any of the following perfumers, but as a fragrance lover, I want to share some fun information with you. (And, because the true core of my being is that of an evil enabler.)

I loved meeting Raphaella Brescia Barkley, who is the founder of Sniffapalooza Magazine. She's just beautiful, and absolutely charming, and I'd go to the NY Sniffa just to hang-out with her again!

Strange Invisible Perfumes is a fascinating place to sniff. You can feel the perfumer's (Alexandra Balahoutis) love for her art emanating from everything in the boutique. The SAs are warm, knowledgeable, and obviously adore fragrance. It was incredibly generous of SIP to give us each a bottle of $185.00 parfum! (And it's a bewitching, fantasy scent - Lyric Rain.) If you're ever in or near Venice, you must visit this unique, atmospheric place. www.siperfumes.com Magazine Street, Black Rosette, Narcotic, and Moon Garden as "must-trys" for serious fragrance lovers. I'll bet that they're some of the most unusual and creative fragrances many of us will ever experience. (Yes, they're that interesting!)

Roxana Villa has created some of the most alive smelling fragrances I've ever encountered. Like Balahoutis, Villa radiates her love for her art. Q is magical. She's a talented artist as well as an outstanding parfumer, and I was inspired and moved by her presentation. www.roxanavilla.com I'm excited about testing more of her fragrances. They're transporting.

Niche perfumer Kristen Michèle is gorgeous, and extremely talented as well! (www.kristenmicheleparfumeur.com) She finds inspiration in classic French perfumery, and her creations echo Many of you would adore her fragrances, and it's always fulfilling to support a wonderful person with true talent. Epice Orientale I'm very excited about getting to try more of Kristin's work as well!

Saffron James Nani is a haunting, rich pikake that smells exactly like the pikake in my yard. It's similar to SL A La Nuit, but it's less sharp, and it has great lasting power. It smells the way I'd imagine jasmine juice to smell if I could crush the petals into a liquid. I bought a bottle on the spot, and I'm loving it. I think it's going to become one of my all-time favorites, and I'm certain it's the loveliest jasmine I've ever worn.

It was wonderful to meet Sarah Horowitz-Thran of Creative Scentualization. I've admired her work for many years, and she's created some of my favorite fragrances. I got to tell her how special Perfect Veil is to me; I was wearing it when I had my pregnancy ultrasound and saw Rebecca for the first time! Sarah is 8 months pregnant with a daughter, so it was a particularly fun time to share the story. She seems like a very warm, loving person, and I think these traits come out in her fragrances.

That Serge Lutens rep. should think about another career, if you ask me. I feel only a little guilty about crouching down and reaching around her to grab a teensy handful or two of her samples... (If she hadn't pointedly ignored us for 10 minutes, I may have restrained myself, but my extraordinary power to rationalize anything regarding scent kicked in.) Even after my obvious display of interest in the SL line , she refused to attempt to sell me (or anyone else) anything. (btw- Do not try Carnal Flower; it gives her a headache.)

I hope more of Basenoters can attend next year!
    Last edited by Tovah; 14th October 2008 at 03:33 AM.

No wonder it was wait-listed. I guess there's always hope for next year! Sounds like so much fun. Great accounts of the experience. Brava!

Aha, I didn't catch that unfortunate acronym! And you're absolutely right, Q is short for Quercus.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Took me a couple passes before I figured RIP meant Roxana Illuminated Perfumes and not Rest In Peace, and therefore not discontinued fumes! Thank goodness, cuz Q (for Quercus no doubt) and Rosa sound very interesting, being a tree-hugging wild-rose lover.

Thanks for presenting the awards ceremony. Your gown is stunning. Who are you wearing?
    Oh, this rag I'm wearing? It's just a vintage Balenciaga.

Well, a girl can dream, can't she?
    Last edited by BlackCat; 14th October 2008 at 04:59 AM.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Ah, BlackCat and Tovah - thanks for the vicarious thrill. Loved your creative reporting format, BC! The Q sounds very special (I live in and love the oak woodlands), as does (of course!) the Nani. So glad you two had a special time.

Signed,

Still a Bit Envious in NoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    Strange Invisible Perfumes is a fascinating place to sniff. You can feel the perfumer's (Alexandra Balahoutis) love for her art emanating from everything in the boutique. The SAs are warm, knowledgeable, and obviously adore fragrance. It was incredibly generous of SIP to give us each a bottle of $185.00 parfum! (And it's a bewitching, fantasy scent - Lyric Rain.) If you're ever in or near Venice, you must visit this unique, atmospheric place. www.siperfumes.com Magazine Street, Black Rosette, Narcotic, and Moon Garden as "must-trys" for serious fragrance lovers. I'll bet that they're some of the most unusual and creative fragrances many of us will ever experience. (Yes, they're that interesting!)
    Seems like a New Orleans vibe in those fragrances. I'll make it a point to try them when I get the chance.

Sounds like you both had a great time (except for the SL rep - shame)! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I love reading the real scoop from perfumistas.

Oh, oh, oh....Only the fact that I was able to attend Chicago keeps the "insanely" out of the description of my jealous self...a Full Bottle of SIP??? [faint] [whimper] Yes, I am a fan of SIP. Yes, one bottle has brought my ability to multi-task to a screeching halt.

I am not surprised to hear that Roxana's presentation was so engaging. Her passion comes through in her blog as well. Am happily running "Q" for a test drive as we speak...glad you all had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ScentScelf View Post
    Oh, oh, oh....Only the fact that I was able to attend Chicago keeps the "insanely" out of the description of my jealous self...a Full Bottle of SIP??? [faint] [whimper]
    Yes, but we didn't have as much chocolate!

Haunani and others, you should join us next time. People traveled from all over, including the East Coast and Scandinavia. So what's a little drive down the 5?

Blog Entries

I adore SIP. I have a lot of the test bottles. I have Elueria, Trapeze and L'Invisble. I've been dying to talk to someone about them. I started on a thread that's on Men's now. Aren't they wonderful frags? The men are complaining about silliage but I don't have that problem w/ the parfum. I've only had the small test EDP of Magazine ST. Maybe it's less powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    ...Haunani and others, you should join us next time. People traveled from all over, including the East Coast and Scandinavia. So what's a little drive down the 5?
    You are right! Or a short flight on SW air! I'll have to watch the SF Bay Area for events, too. That is much closer.