Code of Conduct

Default Eau Sauvage, any reformulations?

Since many great classics have recently been reformulated, I asked myself, if Roudnitska's masterpiece always remained as it was composed in 1966. I know it for more than 20 years and it's still as good as always. I don't detect any changes. Save for the boddle, of course!
    Last edited by Ender; 14th October 2008 at 07:06 PM.

Default Re: Eau Sauvage, any reformulations?

You have made me curious. I have a vintage bottle from the 1980's, and a new bottle. Now it is likely that my old bottle (which has had many moves and locations) has declined. So part of any difference may be "old" vs. "fresh" rather than "original" vs. re-formulation.
    However, even that will be an interesting test. I'll do it and report.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I had assumed there were differences though I am only working off memory for the old one. I remember more depth.

In one of the Burr books he mentions that there was pressure to reduce the maceration time, I think he reported that it had already been reduced. I will try to find the reference unless someone else recalls it better?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

More depth, this is the word ! The old version was sharper, deeper and much more elegant. The actual version is flat to me ...
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    More depth, this is the word ! The old version was sharper, deeper and much more elegant. The actual version is flat to me ...
    Flat is a good word for my experience of it too but I can't be sure that it is the fragrance which has changed or my nose as I have not smelled them side by side.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

No it's not your nose !
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Dependent

like wise, i have both the longish one and the shorter one. mins is at least 2 decades old coz iit all tt belonged to my grandad who passed on some 16-17 years ago and i believe he usedd it very rarely coz back then it was such a novelty that when man wearing Cologn has to be old spice or ES. that was in the late 60s. he wore them very formal events only. the squrish one in this pic is also vintage, its nearly a decade old. I use only thje new ones that come in white boxees. the vintage is extremely sentimental. as i nvr ever really got over the passing of my hero, mny grandfather

Personally no reformultation, but i find the newer ones to have less musk that is ever so present in most oldies
    Also id like to check if urs has "made in france" engraved under the bottom of your bottle thanks~!

sorry for the messy pics. 150 bottles are not easy to maintain, aiming to trim to below 100 bitles by year end.
    i really wondedr how those that go by the neear thousand units maintain
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th October 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    You have made me curious. I have a vintage bottle from the 1980's, and a new bottle. Now it is likely that my old bottle (which has had many moves and locations) has declined. So part of any difference may be "old" vs. "fresh" rather than "original" vs. re-formulation.
    However, even that will be an interesting test. I'll do it and report.
    heya

\got a pic pf ir ES? if u were be kind enugh to oblighe. thanks!

My old bottle is exactly like the one in the foreground of the photo you posted (the shorter square one). I got this in the early 1980's. The one in the back looks very nice.
    I did a side-by-side comparison of my old scent with today's offering.
    The colour looks the same.
    The old has a beautiful, lemony and slightly creamy scent. It is rich and yet not heavy.
    The new is sharper, green, and drier (less sweet). It seems a bit thinner, more "lean". A bit more sour and yet less lemony. It has greater longevity.
    I like each. I like green scents and dry ones.
    Now whether this is all due to reformulation or simply the aging of my old bottle, I can't say. But those are the differences.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    My old bottle is exactly like the one in the foreground of the photo you posted (the shorter square one). I got this in the early 1980's. The one in the back looks very nice.
    I did a side-by-side comparison of my old scent with today's offering.
    The colour looks the same.
    The old has a beautiful, lemony and slightly creamy scent. It is rich and yet not heavy.
    The new is sharper, green, and drier (less sweet). It seems a bit thinner, more "lean". A bit more sour and yet less lemony. It has greater longevity.
    I like each. I like green scents and dry ones.
    Now whether this is all due to reformulation or simply the aging of my old bottle, I can't say. But those are the differences.
    Interesting - that about matches up with my memory so maybe it is a reformulation or a reduction of the maceration time. I really must dig out that Burr quote....

reviews