Code of Conduct

Default Strange Invisible perfumes - any admirers here?

i recently got a chance to sample their release Magazine Street. of 40-50 samples tested so far (recent purchase), this grabbed my attention like no other. picture this as an herbal/minty version of Gucci PH minus the pencil shaving note with a very earthy vetiver and patchouli note along with sweet floral and woody undertones. so, it's earthy and sweet at the same time which feels very refreshing and something that i would approach more often. I would cherish my sample for now and add this release to my must buy list. a definite Full bottle purchase kinds.

could someone introduce us to other scents from this house...?

Added my review:
    "Fresh Eucalytus Oil extract provides the coolness to the opening and gives a very divine touch to the herbal opening notes. the heart forms a wonderful bouquet of floral notes along on a bed of earthy patchouli and iodzised vetiver...vanilla sweetens the equation a bit...this stays very intriguing thruout the journey and does smell very unique in it's approach. This has been an eye opener for me in terms of it sheer quality, Uniqueness, master blending and also, a right volume set on sillage, projection and o nthe way it diffuses and warms up on skin. overall a masterpiece which doesnt get the accolades it deserves.

quick references on how it smells like(just references): opening notes of Tauer LdDM & some parts of Gucci Ph."
    Last edited by jenson; 15th October 2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added my review...

Default Re: Strange Invisible perfumes - any admirers here?

Sounds alluring, definitely. I haven't tested anything from this house yet unfortunately.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

A couple years ago I got to go to their boutique--a boutique, anyway--in Venice Beach, California. There were a couple of frags that I admired at that time but the compositions were quite simple and didn't have much projection. Skillfully done but they struck me as fine amateur work rather than full-fledged perfumes. At that point their plans to come out with EdT's were just shaping up, and the perfumes were VERY expensive. I think that Alexandra Balahoutis is interesting and ambitious, though--one to watch and sniff.

I did some reading on this house, a couple of weeks ago, after something brought them back to my attention - I last thought about them after Basenotes did an article on their releases. It's true, the perfumes are very expensive and, although I haven't had the opportunity to try any of their creations, there's not a lot of enthusiastic reviews around. Some of their creations are now available in EDP concentration, btw.

BlackCat and Tovah went to the LA Sniffapalooza event this past weekend and talk about it on this thread. They had some contact with a rep from SIP, and got to test some things, if I'm right. You may want to take a gander. I've only tested Fair Verona. I didn't like the scent, but was incredibly impressed with the longevity.

Thanks for posting Guys and Gurlz...i strongly recommend Magazine street. it's quality, smell, sillage, longevity, diffusion & projection..everything was just too good and balanced to be true. most importantly it was a refreshing take...something different.

Blog Entries

I liked 'Magazine Street', too. I don't have it but I'm tempted. I have 'Eleuria', (deep mossy, frankincense, iris, jasmine, musk rose), L'Invisible, (moss, ylang, blood orange, hibiscus, morrocan rose, sicilian lemon), and 'Trapeze' (tuberose, carnation, vetiver, spearmint-which is amazing!) I've been hoping someone would get into this line. It's very resinous but some of them are standouts.

I've been to their store several times.

There are several that are quite good, but as stated above, projection is not great. But that's their philosophy. A fragrance should be more personal and close the skin.

From a purely fragrance perspective, they may be worth their price. But unless you buy into their close to the skin philosophy, you may want a little more sillage for your money.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 15th October 2008 at 01:48 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    But unless you buy into their close to the skin philosophy, you may want a little more sillage for your money.
    I kind of agree with you on this.

wore it as an Sotd today and here are my thoughts...

Magazine Street: Fresh Eucalytus Oil extract provides the coolness to the opening and gives a very divine touch to the herbal opening notes. the heart forms a wonderful bouquet of floral notes along on a bed of earthy patchouli and iodzised vetiver...vanilla sweetens the equation a bit...this stays very intriguing thruout the journey and does smell very unique in it's approach. This has been an eye opener for me in terms of it sheer quality, Uniqueness, master blending and also, a right volume set on sillage, projection and o nthe way it diffuses and warms up on skin. overall a masterpiece which doesnt get the accolades it deserves.

quick references on how it smells like(just references): opening notes of Tauer LdDM & some parts of Gucci Ph.

Kumquat: Thanks for those notes ! - They all sound amazing!!

'Eleuria', (deep mossy, frankincense, iris, jasmine, musk rose)
    L'Invisible: (moss, ylang, blood orange, hibiscus, morrocan rose, sicilian lemon), and 'Trapeze' (tuberose, carnation, vetiver, spearmint-which is amazing!)

Simon Moon: please give this one a try..i dont think of this as a close to skin types...im curious about the rest though...btw, i have always been a big fan of your collection. mostly coz i havent even remotely heard on many of them. but they all sound very intriguing.

Eucalyptus, Patchouli, Iodized Vetiver.. yum