Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for Trip to Mexico

Hi folks, I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm going to Mexico in early November to be best man at my buddy's wedding.
    I'm known as the guy who smells good to my little circle of friends. I've bought many scents blind here (Armani Code, TdH, Bulgari Aqua, etc.) and have been happy with most of them.

I was looking at Himalaya and Silver Mountain Water. I've tried neither but am willing to risk it since time is short.

I looking for something to knock everybody's socks off. I want a no-miss killer fragrance!
    I'm willing to go niche.

All (serious) recommendations are welcome!
    Thank you.
    Last edited by weylin; 15th October 2008 at 07:26 AM.

Default Re: Recommendations for Trip to Mexico

I know you said it would be hot but I just have to ask...where in Mexico are you going? Even if you are going to the beach in November it probably won't be hot. I am in the mountains of central Mexico, and it is nice during the day but cold at night. Let us know where you are going so we can make a more informed recommendation.

I'm going to Playa del Carmen, near Cancun.

*The current temps are in the mid to high 80's with lows in the 70's at night. This with rain forecast every single day for the next 10 days.
    Last edited by weylin; 15th October 2008 at 04:26 AM.

IMO Himalaya isn't a good match. Silver Mountain Water is a better choice but I'd try to sample it before you buy.

Some of my fave hot weather scents are:

daytime:
    Hermes eau de orange vert
    Frederic Malle bigarade concentree
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    Creed Royal Water
    Kilian prelude to love
    (all these are variations on an eau de cologne) for me there is nothing like an EdC when it's hot.

nighttime:
    montale black aoud
    tom ford tuscan leather
    Tom ford moss breches

You might also want to try Terre de Hermes if you haven't already. It works really well in most weather and also both day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I know you said it would be hot but I just have to ask...where in Mexico are you going? Even if you are going to the beach in November it probably won't be hot. I am in the mountains of central Mexico, and it is nice during the day but cold at night. Let us know where you are going so we can make a more informed recommendation.
    irish phone home!
    Listen to the man.
    I have worn everything in Mexico... perhaps my best recommendation would be to not use something too sweet. Mexicans are generally less excited about gourmands and the weather is not the best to wear them. SMW is a good candidate. My most complimented fragrance is Leau dIssey.
    YSL LHomme and Kouros got a lot of positive comments. So did yang and many of my florals.

Playa del Carmen is an amazing place.. Mexico share many kinds of weather, but in these case and in that moth sure wont be so hot... maybe at night a soft spicy-woody-fruity touch would be right,..

Irish is correct. If you wear an aquatic (Issey, Bulgari Aqua, and even Acqua di Gio-which is prevalent here still) you will get complimented. At the moment, I don't own any aquatics. I have also noticed that traditional colognes work well like Guerlain Fleurs de Cedrat and Imperiale are exquisite and get compliments. If you don't care and aren't looking to be noticed, just take Irish's advice and stay away from gourmands because they can be brutally heavy in humid warm weather. Think lighter, more citrus and lightly floral and you can't go wrong.

Bulgari Aqua would be it for me but even though it doesn't get much play on here Tommy Bahama would be nice and it would fit the theme.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

don't drink the water
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    don't drink the water
    DARN IT!!!

I was going to post that first! I should have logged in 7 minutes earlier.

Smile Re: Recommendations for Trip to Mexico

EAU D'HADRIEN ABSOLU oe EAU DU SUD both by Annick Goutal
    L'EAU DES HESPERIDES or L'EAU DE NEROLI both by Diptyque
    VIVARA ( female but wearable by men ) by Emilio Pucci
    TERRE D'HERMES by Hermes

Enjoy your stay:wave::wave::wave:

Bvlgari Aqva or Kenzo PH.....

ohhhhh.....Sun,Sand and Sea....is all i want now....enjoy it!!
    Last edited by el.roger; 16th October 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks all for the recommendations!

Bvlgari Aqva and Terre d'Hermès have been my 1 - 2 punch this past summer but I will probably bring them with me anyways.

I'm going to look at the others that were mentioned as well.

I'll be careful of the water, but just in case.... Immodium. ; P

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    Playa del Carmen is an amazing place.. Mexico share many kinds of weather, but in these case and in that moth sure wont be so hot... maybe at night a soft spicy-woody-fruity touch would be right,..
    Like the third man from caron

Try the new Eau de Cologne from Chanel - it doesn't last terribly long but would be perfect since it's crisp, sits close, and has really pleasant depth. (and you get a huge jug of it!)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Instead of getting bottles, I would get a 5ml decant of Silver Mountain Water and Neroli Portofino for daytime, and then maybe YSL L'Homme for evening wear.

I think another great recommendation would be Creed's Original Vetiver for daytime and Santal Imperial for evening.

Jester
    "But I don't want to go among mad people"
    "You can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know that I'm mad?"
    "You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

I ended up bringing Bvlgari Aqva, Terre d'Hermès and Creed Himalaya. The first 2 served very well for daytime use and I saved the Himalaya for wedding day. Himalaya is stunning.

The weather was mid to high 80's in the day and low 70's at night. Absolutely perfect.

The Mayan Riviera is an incredibly beautiful place with great people (and food) and I can't wait to go back.

Viva Mexico!!!

P.S. Thanks for the recommendations!