Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge - Did I get an impostor?

I purchased a small bottle of what I thought was Habit Rouge from a small perfume shoppe within a popular shopping mall yesterday. I initially tested a sample on a test strip and it was very woodsy and spicy to me and I thought this would be fine.
    I watched as the SA packaged the newly opened bottle that we had just opened and tested and I thought all was good. I returned to my office and anxiously sprayed my arm and suddenly the scent was not the same. Very floral to my nose and powdery like talcum powder, and I'm thinking, "what happened"?.

I've heard of body chemistry changing fragrances, but like this? I check the box and the bottom has some printing on it that looks like some sort of Arabic script, so my first thought is, "a knock-off", or "grey market". The receipt says,"no refunds, exchanges only to unopened boxes within 8 days". Rats!!

Did I get an impostor? I thought HR is supposed to be more masculine, like Bois de Portugal. Am I missing something here? Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

On the positive, the cost was not major, $30 dollars, for a 1.7 oz. not a major loss, and I plan to go to a Neiman Marcus next week to compare, but now I'm left wondering and curious.

Default Re: Habit Rouge - Did I get an impostor?

there was a previous discussion on this earlier, especially with the arabic writing on the bottom, try searching for it.

The Arabic writing is a bad sign; you need to get back there and give them hell.

It's odd to me since the description of it after you got back to your office is my impression of it, very floral and powdery.

Maybe the test strip was already used and it mixed with it to create that scent you initially smelled?

Either that or the SA should be a magician with that "slight of hand" trick.

I'm in SoCal too...which mall shop?

Agh, Reuben, I am in SO CAL too, live in Pasadena; you must let us know.

Atrac and Reuben why the hell arent you guys in the BN Los Angeles Group; you are missing good meet ups????????????????????????????????????
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 15th October 2008 at 05:57 AM.

hey wait im in socal too! i didnt even kno there was a socal group. i was always wondering if anyone on BN actually met up.

Quote Originally Posted by heymynameismark View Post
    hey wait im in socal too! i didnt even kno there was a socal group. i was always wondering if anyone on BN actually met up.
    Ditto that!

I'm thinking you probably just got a gray market bottle since you bought from one of those perfume nooks at the mall. There is a reason why the price is lower than retail! You're probably safe.

All new Guerlain boxes have Arabic writing on them for export. Habit Rouge smells lemony on a strip, powdery on skin. Never trust a strip. You must love powder to love Habit Rouge. I have never seen a sealed fake Guerlain yet. I only saw old, original Guerlain splash bottles for sale on eBay refilled with a fake juice.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    All new Guerlain boxes have Arabic writing on them for export. Habit Rouge smells lemony on a strip, powdery on skin. Never trust a strip. You must love powder to love Habit Rouge. I have never seen a sealed fake Guerlain yet. I only saw old, original Guerlain splash bottles for sale on eBay refilled with a fake juice.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    It's odd to me since the description of it after you got back to your office is my impression of it, very floral and powdery.

Maybe the test strip was already used and it mixed with it to create that scent you initially smelled?

Either that or the SA should be a magician with that "slight of hand" trick.

I'm in SoCal too...which mall shop?
    It ws the Burbank Towncenter Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Well the SA was speaking armenian in her cell phone when I walked in, there is a very large Armenian community in Burbank so I'm told.

The test strip had no lemony scent on it what so ever, more woodsy. Again, I'll be going to another studio next week near the Topanga Mall and I know there is a Neiman Marcus and a Nordstrom there, so I'll be doing some serious comparing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I'm thinking you probably just got a gray market bottle since you bought from one of those perfume nooks at the mall. There is a reason why the price is lower than retail! You're probably safe.
    Yeah, I know

I'm kicking myself now for even thinking it was even remotely legit.

Quote Originally Posted by heymynameismark View Post
    Ditto here too!!

Dependent

its defo not fake. THose with arabic wordings are parelell imports that are meant to serve the middel esat market. its the same in japan.all my guerlains have have them. simplty coz the stock that arrives via the middle east is a cheaper route compared to trans continental imports.There is a 24 hour Mega Mall here, owned by arabs and they carry the widest range of mainstream frags ive ever seen. im pretty sure they have a share n the representing regional whole sale agencies. They are like the UK equivelent of TJ Max(useed to be TK if i recall correctly). all 4 of my guerlains are from the mall here. also it is virtually imposible and insanely silly to try to sell fake goods in Singapore. and yes, all the guerlains, at leat the 7-9 that are sold at the mall are all cello wrapped. ive yet to see any ones otherwise. i have absolutely no faith and use for ebay so i really cant comment on those listed there.

anyways to assure u again, arabic wordings are a good sign coz obviosly the quality expectations of the realatively well off arabic communities are extremely high. A friend who wa based in abu dhabi for 3 years had the time of his life coz the selction of fragrances there are amazing..
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th October 2008 at 02:24 PM.

I agree with Mr. Guerlain - I have never witnessed a fake/knock off Guerlain product. I don't think these fragrances are in that much of a hot demand to be counterfited?

Now I could see a Angel being made fake..etc

Dependent

i cant really speak for any other countries that sell belwo quality par control or "grey" items. over here, no hshop in any amll would there sell anythin defective, even if a lowe price was negotiated. In fact unlike many western online sites, its not legal, by virtue of standar commercial contract agreement for testers to be sold even.retailers are not allowed to decant samples of customers coz quality would be affected when oxidation takes its toll on the constant exposrure and handling of the botle content. only factory sealed samples can be given , other wise, its the strip or on-skin tests.

My sister got for me a bottle of Habit Rouge EDT from the duty free in Istanbul Ataturk airport and on the bottom of the box there is some Arabic writing; it's the new simple box with the vertical line centered on the upper part of the front. I also saw Arabic writing on the Guerlains sold at the local Sephora here so it's normal to have this on export stocks. Oh, it's also normal to smell powdery.