Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My first meeting with Kouros

So I read this reactions about Kouros here on Basenotes. I thought: Damn people are over-reacting, it's probably not that bad. Urine? Naah I didnt believe it. So , today I was in the drugstore here in the Netherlands. Trying fragrances with my girl. "Hmm this is nice", :"this is bad" and so on.

It was pretty busy and people were getting in eachother's way. Then I saw Kouros. I thought: FINALLY I can see if its true what they say. I took the bottle and sprayed it twice on a paper.............

My God.............

My girl: IEEEEEEUWWWWWWWWWWHHHH!!! WHAT THE PEEP IS THAT!!!!!????

Me: DAMNN WTF?! (puttin my hands in front of my nose)

Then a few seconds later the scent got in the noses of of people next to me. They instantly put their hands on their nose and they waved the air saying: GROSE!

It was not busy anymore. Me and my girl walked out almost immediately, we didnt have the chance to try more scents, let alone buy one.

Kouros is urine.

Its not a matther of opinion or taste. Its urine. Maybe some people like urine.Then it is a matther of taste.

KOUROS:
    Topnotes: Male urine
    Middlenotes: Milk gone bad, vinagre
    Basenotes: Cat urine, Dog urine
    Last edited by brianroy; 15th October 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first meeting with Kouros

I have to agree. There must be something that all of the Kouros Lovers see, and supposedly the drydown is nice, but I can't bare to spray it on my skin to find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hahahahahahhahahaha.

*pause*

hahahahah

yeah, it really does suck that much. My wife said something similar the first time she ever smelled it....

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to convince you that Kouros is good, but no.
    The Kouroi are indefensible.
    They are proud and embrace themselves.
    They were never made to be nice or to give explanations.
    The Kouroi have no selfpity.
    Last edited by irish; 15th October 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same the first time i smelled it, like you i sprayed it on a paper..

Then after reading all these hate/love stories with Kouros, i decides to try it again, on my wrist this time.. the opening was still strong and i thought 'this scent just isn't for me'.

But then, throughout the day, when i didn't smell it directly from my wrist, i got these nice whiffs..i just couldn't make a decision on this scent. Normally i can say if something is good or bad, i just couldn't and still can't with Kouros.

1 thing i noticed is, that it gives me nice compliments from women who are horny, as if it triggers the animal in them, BUT when women feel romantic and i'm wearing Kouros, they go: 'eeeew take a shower its to strong'.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: My first meeting with Kouros

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I think we should be fair to Kouros though. It's not urinous or fecal or animalic. It is, however, too similar to powerful public lavatory chemicals, and that's why people say those things (the association with the chemicals and what they are meant to "cover up"). One BNer has said that he needs to apply it, THEN take a shower, and if you do that it might be okay. I'll admit to not having the courage to try it that way, but I don't have a sample of it anyway (just tried at it Ulta a couple of times).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 15th October 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    Kouros is urine.
    look at the brighter side...the day you feel like testing it again, you cud decant a 30 ml every morning and apply generously.

personally, nope...it doesnt smell like Urine. here are the notes for your review.

top notes

Laurel, Artemisia, Coriander, Bergamot

heart note

Carnation, Cinnamom, Geranium, Jasmine

base note

Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Musk
    Last edited by jenson; 15th October 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Kouros, but I do not like urine. Personally, I have never smelled the similarity or I would not wear Kouros.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jenson: I already saw the notes, I see you dont have a sense of humor, or maybe you do you just dont understand mine

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!
    You are right men! And KOUROS can DEFINATELY NOT run with the big dogs! Not even with the small cats!
    Last edited by brianroy; 15th October 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't see anyone laughing BrainRoy....oh hell, Everso is...sorry... mybad

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jenson: I already saw the notes, I see you dont have a sense of humor, or maybe you do you just dont understand mine
    I know that jenson has a very good sense of humour.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

i don't see anyone laughing BrainRoy....oh hell, Everso is...sorry... mybad
    Obviously I see you DO have a sense of humor, lookin at your urine in the morning remark. Mixed with a little Cool Water it would still be better dan Kouros.

Toilette refreshers, some smell really bad some are okay.

I wouldnt use Kouros as a toilette-refresher. People would rather sh-t theire pants than to go in to my toilette if i applied it with Kouros.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that jenson has a very good sense of humour

Post Thanks / Like

you are so full of .... now hey, did i say anything?

btw, its better you stop, move out of the toilet and talk about scents a bit...
    Last edited by jenson; 15th October 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i actually got these notes:

Top- Urinal cake
    Heart-Urinal cake with urine
    Base-musk scented feces with a tinge of urine
    Last edited by jdnba; 15th October 2008 at 10:30 PM.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I had a not-so-hilariously similar first-time-smelling-it reaction to Kouros just yesterday. Very strong scent, very specific taste, not for me. But aside from the sample bottle the scent was sold out in the store so ...

Strange thing is that i love Body Kouros and cannot stand to smell the the original Kouros long enough to detect how it eventually inspired the Body Kouros version.

Although I like the idea that this is not a conventional "clean/fresh/sweet" scent, it almost too hard to like. For me it inspires immediate ideas of where I WOULDN'T/couldn't wear it: office, party events, first dates, anytime I'm wearing my dressy clothing...
    Last edited by masuerte; 15th October 2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Immediate Wishlist: CDG Palisander/Avignon

in my humble opinion kouros is one of the best scents ever created. it is very unique, lasts forever, great silage and draws complements every time i use it. trying to associate this scent with urine is pure ignorance, its like saying CREED GIT smells like a men fart after eating mexican burito. yes its a strong scent and it makes"entrance" and it is not for everybody, but the fact is that kouros is being made about 30 years without any reformulation and is still one of the best selling fragrances in the world.
    i wish my urine smell like kouros. it would have save me the cost!

I'm guessing that it may be a huge amount of the geranium mixed with spices that creates the "signature" of the frag.

I purchased Kouros blind even after reading about all the dissension in ranks amongst Basenoters.

The first time I tried Kouros I took a deep breath, spritzed, walked to another area and inhaled deeply with the exhilarated anticipation that comes with trying a personally undiscovered yet legendary scent .... and I think I threw up a little in my mouth

Totally gag worthy.

The second time was better. I applied it before going to do yard work. On the way out my wife said "that cologne smells gross". After working in the yard for a while and coming back in she said "that cologne smells much better".

A light application of Kouros, some time to burn off the topnotes and a little heat and sweat make it much better.

I still prefer Body Kouros much more.
    Last edited by Diverdown; 16th October 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros is urine.

Its not a matther of opinion or taste. Its urine. Maybe some people like urine.Then it is a matther of taste.

KOUROS:
    Topnotes: Male urine
    Middlenotes: Milk gone bad, vinagre
    Basenotes: Cat urine, Dog urine
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I LIKE YOUR PYRAMID

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife LOVES Kouros.

It is a nice scent.

The descriptions of reactions to it are so far fetched, they actually make me smile.

I imagine the same reaction as putting a fox in a hen house with everyone running about knocking each over to get out the way of the smell.

Such drama.
    Last edited by joe mcclaine; 16th October 2008 at 04:27 AM.

This obsession with Kouros and urine is beyond my comprehension. Especially on this oh-so-grown-up niche-wuvin board, such childish bashing seems out of place. Kouros has been selling well for more than a quarter of a century, and all its buyers/users smell like piss - yeah right. Looking at the current market situation, Kouros is THE non-conformist fragrance, back in the 80s there were a lot of animalic scents, even for women (See Sander Woman III), so the 80s were quite a pissy time, no? Bullsh!t. Maybe you kiddies (I'm 29) are too much socialized into Acqua di Gio to recognize, let alone embrace, originality when you smell it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, buy your 6th bottle of Black Code (Armani), take your girlfriend and enjoy the simple life.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm a complete stranger assumes I have a simple life by just a few facts. Its the same as I can assume that you are German so you are a racist wich I DONT, I'm just comparing your narrowminded conclusion.

Maybe you'll say I'm also narrowminded calling Kouros urine but thats my opinion.

So to speak with your words:
    Go use you're Kouros and enjoy your simple life.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest actually spraying some on your wrist next time, as all YSL frags smell very different on cards than they do skin.

Kouros may have a very slight 'uriney' edge, but then again so do other 'non-bottled' fragrances that men enjoy (use your imagination )

That said, my girlfriend hates the stuff, whereas I don't mind it. It's definitely a 'big boys' frag, and I could see why people my age (20) would hate it. Also, the sample vial of the 'vintage' juice I have smells very different to the juice they are selling nowadays.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you kiddies (I'm 29) are too much socialized into Acqua di Gio to recognize, let alone embrace, originality when you smell it.
    I've been into fragances quite a while now, even though I'm a new member here. I dont mean to disrespect anyone, or anyone's opinion.

But you accuse people of "childish bashing", and then start doing it yourself.

"Look at me I 'understand'/like Kouros I am original"

I DO like AdG, I DONT use it cause I DO want to be original, that doesnt mean I call people wearing that kinda stuff "simple". Yes there are a lot of guys wearing AdG that have no "fragance-knowledge"what so ever.You have an attitude because you are not into the local fragancestore top 10, I aint either, most of the Basenoters aren't. That doesnt make people who are wearing AdG lacking of originality or simple. Its boring, yes I know, for us it is thats why I wont buy it even if I kinda like it. Code I do buy but its less popular then AdG or Le Male, and now that its becoming more popular I'm moving on.

IMHO there are hundreds of "non-conformist" fragances that are a lot better than Kouros.

Just because I like Code or AdG over Kouros, doesnt say ANYTHING about my originality.

And the opening note of Kouros just reminds me of urine. I'm sorry to offend anyone but I know a lot of people agree. Its a matther of opinion not originality, and its useless to discuss about personal opinions. Its a perfect scent for B,A from the A-Team, in the 80's.

And when I'm 40 i gonna use different fragances than I use now. But still not Kouros
    Last edited by brianroy; 16th October 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is amusing

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

I see I said: "Its not a matther of opinion its just urine" in the OP. I was being sarcastic, offcourse its a matther of opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros is urine.

Its not a matther of opinion or taste. Its urine.
    Besides the fact that I agree with you, the tone of this comment had me literally LOL.

When I had the chance (in an airport duty-free shop in Mexico), I sprayed a single spray on the back of my hand. I ran to the nearest bathroom to wash it off. After three vigorous washings, it was still there.

Not only still there, but STRONG.

My wife also hated it.

EDIT: By the way, I am 30, I was 29 when that happened. I don't agree that age has anything to do with understand or even appreciating a scent. I found it revoltingly unpleasant - I'm sure there are 19-year-olds who like Kouros. I don't see the point in bringing up age.
    Last edited by baudilus; 16th October 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A little perspective is needed on this board if you wish to be taken seriously.

Do you really think a perfume designer would sit there and say "what will make this sell? I know, make it smell of p*ss".

Ridiculous.

If my p*ss smelled like Kouros I'd save myself a small fortune.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok a little more perspective:
    I tried Kouros yesterday and I wasnt pleased by it at all. Neither was my gf and the people standing around of me. It is original and masculin but imho not in a good way.The scent reminded me of something I will not name, cause there are people that do like Kouros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    A little perspective is needed on this board if you wish to be taken seriously.

Do you really think a perfume designer would sit there and say "what will make this sell? I know, make it smell of p*ss".

Ridiculous.

If my p*ss smelled like Kouros I'd save myself a small fortune.
    I don't understand your assertion. Why do you assume that because it doesn't smell like urine to you, that it doesn't smell like urine to someone else?

Perspective indeed.
    Last edited by baudilus; 16th October 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: clarification

Hehe, I wouldnt say Kouros is urine, urinal cake indeed, but not urine

But the problem lays in its power, u cant wash it of again, urinal cake with a sillage ass big as the moon.. yakk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

deleted
    Last edited by joe mcclaine; 16th October 2008 at 01:07 PM.

kouros does not smell like urine. those who think it does should check their kidneys,urine system(for unknown infections?) or their brains .kouros is a very dominant scent and as so as a lot of admirers or haters. some "clever" guy, probably under the influence of"natural herbs" said a decade ago he smells urine in kouros and since than a legend was created: kouros=urine. those who hate kouros immediately adapt this theory like "blind cows". enough with this crap! you may like, dislike or hate kouros but enough with this urine crap! some of the members here wear this stuff for many years and its offending to read such stupid remarks like pee and urine. i grew up in the 70/80' the era of the strong powerful mens fragrances, when a man smelled like a man and wasnt apologizing for doing so. today ,younger generation mostly is accustomed to those light scents, that all smell the same and last about 10 minutes (if it last 20 minutes they apologize for wearing such strong fragrance). i am not the modern "metro sexual man" but rather the "old school" and i do not apologize for wearing kourus and if it smellls like urine to you, then start wearing urine!

Post Thanks / Like

Listen, obviously there is alot of animosity toward the scent and some love it. I wore it in high school. Why?Because it was supposed to be good. I'm not sure if I ever thought it smelled good. I get the urine thing and I'm 38..so I'm not in the AdG grouping. I have tried it multiple times since coming here and before and I still think it is harsh and bad. I have a 13 month old. It really is a mix of when I change her pee diaper and then I put the baby powder on. You can say this isn't true and hem and haw but it is the EXACT smell to my senses. If I smell it dried down on an old bottle I get the same thing. This isn't a burn and trash post, just a real review. So I get what people are seeing in it. I'm just being respectful.

There, I said my peace. I'll move along.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 16th October 2008 at 01:36 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I've been into fragances quite a while now, even though I'm a new member here. I dont mean to disrespect anyone, or anyone's opinion.

But you accuse people of "childish bashing", and then start doing it yourself.

"Look at me I 'understand'/like Kouros I am original"

I DO like AdG, I DONT use it cause I DO want to be original, that doesnt mean I call people wearing that kinda stuff "simple". Yes there are a lot of guys wearing AdG that have no "fragance-knowledge"what so ever.You have an attitude because you are not into the local fragancestore top 10, I aint either, most of the Basenoters aren't. That doesnt make people who are wearing AdG lacking of originality or simple. Its boring, yes I know, for us it is thats why I wont buy it even if I kinda like it. Code I do buy but its less popular then AdG or Le Male, and now that its becoming more popular I'm moving on.

IMHO there are hundreds of "non-conformist" fragances that are a lot better than Kouros.

Just because I like Code or AdG over Kouros, doesnt say ANYTHING about my originality.

And the opening note of Kouros just reminds me of urine. I'm sorry to offend anyone but I know a lot of people agree. Its a matther of opinion not originality, and its useless to discuss about personal opinions. Its a perfect scent for B,A from the A-Team, in the 80's.

And when I'm 40 i gonna use different fragances than I use now. But still not Kouros
    Quite a lot of assumptions in there, just click my drobe icon for clarification, and if you do so, please click on the "owned" ones, too.

Furthermore, I wasn't addressing any single person, theres always a lot of "yes it does" whenever the next one feels like equating Kouros with urine. It gets old.

I see I said: "Its not a matther of opinion its just urine" in the OP. I was being sarcastic, offcourse its a matther of opinion.
    Cop-out. Ah whatever, everythings said now.

AromiErotici

I'm looking for an oil drum full of this juice. I have a few in-laws I'd like to give very large samples to.

in reply to toughcool: when you wore it in highschool it didn't smell like urine? did they change the formula and haded urine?
    you see, i never wore a cologne because it was supposed to be good, or because someone said it is good. i can relay on my own judgment to decide if i like the scent or not.

and with this note i rest my case
    Last edited by damon; 16th October 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing new has been stated here. At the end of this thread, Kouros will still rise above, commanding fear, controversy and dirty thoughts.

The only thing I am not happy about is Kouros adds. They all show a man with a no-hair chest and pubis: they waxed the hell out of them (pusillanimous). While that may represent better the original greek Kuroi, it is not representative of the YSL fragrance.

Kouros is pure testosterone baby!
    Last edited by irish; 16th October 2008 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine is 26, his girlfriend 24. One day he dropped by, commenting that I was smelling a bit mature. OK, he said OLD. I had tested Kouros earlier that afternoon. I didn't comment, just cursed under my breath.
    A week or so ago I showed his girlfriend some of my juices. Fragrances, i.e., in case your imagination might run away with you. She immediately asked if I had Kouros. It happened to be her very favourite on a man. She begged my friend to get a bottle, without delay. She needed it and she needed it NOW.
    That's a little Kouros tale for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, we've had the Kouros good/bad/ugly debate many times. We'll have it again sometime either sooner or later.

On this thread everyone has made their thoughts plain. Readers can read the thread and clearly get posters's thoughts. Then readers can go out and see what the smell if they don't know already and smell what the controversy is all about.

That's about all we can do as posters here. The personal barb and attack trading do nothing for us or for helping the readers know their own thoughts on the scent. Please take the reflections on fellow members and various jabs--light jabs and hard ones--to the personal message feature.

Thanks,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Why is everyone so angry that Kouros smells like urine?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Its the same as I can assume that you are German so you are a racist [...].
    Thanks. It prevented me to mention Theo van Gogh, just in case you thought of living in a country free of racism.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that people that dont get urine in Kouros may just not have the same reference point as the others who do get urine. I dont get ANY urine smell, I get a very specific type of urine smell from Kouros. IMO it smells EXACTLY like a cat's litter box that hasn't been cleaned in months and resides in a small, window-less closet. I really don't care what anyone else says, this isn't a matter of subjectiveness, the opening notes at least, smell of incredibly pungent cat pee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damon View Post
    in reply to toughcool: when you wore it in highschool it didn't smell like urine? did they change the formula and haded urine?
    you see, i never wore a cologne because it was supposed to be good, or because someone said it is good. i can relay on my own judgment to decide if i like the scent or not.

and with this note i rest my case
    I was young. It was popular. They didn't have a market like now so people wore Polo, Kouros or Obsession...it was the 80s. My Dad owned most of them and I would spray it on. It's not like I wore it daily. I never knew but the bottle did have a weird smell to it. I was a kid. You can try and discredit me but my opinion stands. I think it stinks now and have tried it multiple times to be fair. It is a diaper. It's not like I'm looking to slam the product. It has civet in it which is basically the rear of a civet. Its musk. It's just the truth. I like Mania and people hate it but I don't get angry at them. Of course Mania doesn't smell like urine type things. For those with kids..if you change a pee diaper and then apply powder on the baby, the mix..its Kouros to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Why is everyone so angry that Kouros smells like urine?
    Don't get it either.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 16th October 2008 at 02:58 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like this thread is all over. All over but the shouting that is.

I'll close it. Anyone have questions for me about this decision send them by PM.
    Thanks,
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 16th October 2008 at 02:59 PM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.