Code of Conduct

Default New Fragrance Lover Seeks "Signature Scent"

Greetings everyone. I have always been obssessed with smells. I love smelling everything and anything (within reason ) and just rather recently I truly "discovered cologne" and every time I go to the mall I rush in to sample all of the scents. I am recently however interested in finding a fragrance to be my "signature scent". I am having a bit of trouble as the three fragrances that I own are Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Lacoste Pour Homme and Prada Amber Pour Homme. I really like the Amber Pour Homme however I find as I am a rather young college student of 18 and dress simply, it seems a bit too sophisticated for everyday wear. The Light Blue is definitely a summer scent and as it is now going to be fall/winter I would really like to find something I can wear any time of day, any season. I have been using the lacoste pour homme and like it but I would love to hear any (any time, any manner of dress) fragrances that can be worn year round. Something I can wear when dressed in a t-shirt or in a nice shirt for a night out, or not very dressed for a night in . I think that I will still use the amber for formal occasions but I am very interested in any ideas for a signature scent for a young man like myself. I am a slender man yet still very masculine and try to choose fragrances that don't come off as too macho yet are still very masculine.

Also I guess I should note one of the most important factors in deciding on a fragrance for me is staying power and I am really looking for something long lasting.

I am sorry for this ramble of a post, but if anybody has any suggestions of scents I might want to try on, I would be very greatful !

Default Re: New Fragrance Lover Seeks "Signature Scent"

Welcome!

I'd say give Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme a sniff and spritz on the skin. Its in a cylindrical glass bottle with a heavy octagonal silver lid.
    I always revert back to this one when people are looking for something that could be worn in casual and semi-formal situations. It can carry you seamlessly from college to out.
    I personally have no problems at all with longevity, but its best you try it for yourself.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 16th October 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Also try Dirty English by Juicy Couture. I think it would be great as a casual or dressed up a bit.

I agree with Dimitri, L'Homme is nice. It's a pretty plain scent so it's versatile. A cheaper alternative would be Ungaro III. I always find myself going back to it. It works in almost every situation. It might struggle in the heat though.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

First Off, Welcome! The first thing that came to my mind was Guerlain Vetiver. Since ur lookin for a signature scent, I'm guessin u want a scent in which people can identify u. Therefore, I suggest moving away from those new/old designer frags like prada ApH even though it smells good and go for those other Houses that you know your friends didn't even know existed. Argh, my brain is fried, all I keep thinking bout is vetiver!

Platinum Egoiste

or original egoiste, I see alot of platinum flying around. But I guess it depends on ur taste!

Platinum Egoiste would be less of a departure from your current wardrobe and is readily available for purchase or testing at most retailers that carry Chanel products. But you may also love the original Egoiste, who knows! The best advice I can give is to dig in and sample everything you can get your hands on.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 16th October 2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Silly spelling!

Lotta ways you could go. I agree that a "signature scent" should be distinctive -- and yet also pleasing to you.
    Only sticking with the vetiver aspect. Guerlain is popular, but I find it a bit heavy. I like GIvenchy Vetiver better. And I like Jo Malone Vetiver too. And best of all in my opinion is Encre Noir by Lalique.
    But maybe you'll like light woods, or light spices, or light incense... you may need to try some different styles. Try to find some style or element that really "clicks" and satisfies you, and then zero in on finding the best of that for you.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I think if you keep posting here, you'll soon learn it's more fun to have too many fragrances to wear instead of one to wear all the time. I'd love to have a 'signature' scent, and I could pick 1-2 if I had to, but there's just too much out there to be held back.

Agree with bbBd. I like to rotate my scents, even my faves I never wear two days in a row. Mix it up!
    But there is a core group that I keep coming back to. The equivalent of comfort food.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Something that would work well as a daily scent, go over well with a younger crowd, and be unique and uncommon without breaking the bank - try Geir by Geir Ness. It's a really great clean scent with the touch of sweetness and it doesn't follow the generic 'clean' profile that many new mass-market releases do.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Hey I thought of one that has great staying power me. I mean it lasts 12 hours, easy. Plus it is fresh, cheery, a neat clean/green vibe with a light musk drydown.
    Thierry Mugler Cologne. It is in the white frosted bottle with a green cap.
    odysseusm

I suggest you try Chanel Allure Homme Sport EDT (the silver bottle). It has good projection and lasts long. I've gotten female compliments from it.

It isn't too popular among the members of this board, but I find it's the one that I always go to if I can't decide what to wear. And I was always happy with that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Mine was a clear bottle (green juice), and a chrome metal top/sprayer. Do you have a special edition perhaps?

Sounds like you're looking for the very same fragrance we all seem to be looking for!

Many thanks, jrd4t -- you are right. The cologne is in a clear bottle, light green juice, chrome top.
    I got mixed up with the various products (lotion, shower gel) which are in a frosted white plastic bottle with a green top. BTW -- these are all very nice. I use the lotion as an aftershave balm.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by rmlj View Post
    Platinum Egoiste
    I agree with this. Again, also, I hate to go against the grain because it isn't really popular here but you might want to try an Armani that isn't AdG too. I love Mania and think it smells classy, nice and rich on me. I get comments all the time. It depends on your skin. But those products can be young and nice without being too mainstream. You might want to check out the new Polo Modern Reserve also. Another getting some good reviews is Versace Pour Homme. It gives me the same feeling as Platinum Egoiste...classy, nice and can be won year around.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 16th October 2008 at 03:04 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Chanel, Egoiste is nice and it truly is versatile and I think it is distinctive enough that you will not smell it on any guys at school.

If I may suggest, Victor & Rolf's Antidote, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, and Estee Lauder's Beyond Paradise.

BTW, Dimitri's rec of YSL's L'Homme is a must!

Armani Code

According to Armani, it is the "scent of seduction".

Many thanks, jrd4t -- you are right. The cologne is in a clear bottle, light green juice, chrome top.
    I got mixed up with the various products (lotion, shower gel) which are in a frosted white plastic bottle with a green top. BTW -- these are all very nice. I use the lotion as an aftershave balm.
    I agree! I love the shower gel.. it's super addicting.

Narciso Rodriguez for him it's a good choice as a all year round scent: fresh in the opening yet warm in the base, masculine yet with the green violet slight floral vibe. It's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Chanel, Egoiste is nice and it truly is versatile and I think it is distinctive enough that you will not smell it on any guys at school.
    - Agreed!

want a signature scent? stay away from Basenotes...you will find your scent and will save a fortune...believe me on this.

Armani Code was the first one that came to my mind. The suggestion of the new Versace Pour Homme was a good one, as well (as a matter of fact, I wish I had worn it instead of the ADG I wore today).

I could never wear just one scent unless I was just plain too poor to do otherwise. Then I'd probably sell plasma to have an option...

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I think if you keep posting here, you'll soon learn it's more fun to have too many fragrances to wear instead of one to wear all the time. I'd love to have a 'signature' scent, and I could pick 1-2 if I had to, but there's just too much out there to be held back.
    VERY VERY TRUE INDEED!!! Choosing one fragrance to be your signature scent would be like saying that the rest arent good or good enough when infact there are alot that are good. Like the rest, I wish I had a signature scent, but I dont because it depends on what im going to be doing, how I feel etc. Besides that, I love fragrances too much to only have one favorite.

I, too, came to Basenotes seeking a couple of reviews of what I thought would become my signature scent. Here I am, two short months and a dozen bottles later...

Don't walk, run away!

cheap....age fitting...and amazing

Escada Magnetism....
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Wearing a more sophisticated fragrance on simple clothes is very cool IMO. Nothing wrong with that.

Why don't you try Pour Un Homme by Caron? It can come off as very classy and be worn with a suit, or cool and be worn with jeans and a tshirt. It smells very clean with the main note being lavender, and the lasting power is great too. It's also cheap and can be bought at $35 or less for a 125 ml bottle, and it's versatile enough to wear in all seasons.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Clean white shirt and denim jeans - Rive Gauche or Roger Gallet OPEN
    Party Wear- Joop or Escada Magnetism

IMHO- we all are searching for that alluring "Signature Scent".... some call it holy grail ...we've got many names for it... ...but i am sure you will enjoy this journey like most of us

welcome aboard

Hey I thought of one that has great staying power me. I mean it lasts 12 hours, easy. Plus it is fresh, cheery, a neat clean/green vibe with a light musk drydown.
    Just got a sample of Thierry Mugler Colgne at Nordstrom, a very nice scent. Obvious citrus, but do I detect vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    cheap....age fitting...and amazing

Escada Magnetism....
    I only tested this once...at Marshalls..and it was pretty nice. For cheap. Uusually I hate the overly sweeet ones too. The drydown made it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 16th October 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Welcome!

I'd say give Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme a sniff and spritz on the skin. Its in a cylindrical glass bottle with a heavy octagonal silver lid.
    I always revert back to this one when people are looking for something that could be worn in casual and semi-formal situations. It can carry you seamlessly from college to out.
    I personally have no problems at all with longevity, but its best you try it for yourself.
    Good luck!
    This one, definitely! It awoke the fire of passion in me and I can't stop buying colognes now. It's really quite amazing. To me, it's like the ginger ale of beverages - completely classy but also fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

he he.. You`r right! It`s just too much good stuff out there to use just one!

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome and for all of your ideas. I will definitely be sure to try them all and will keep looking at all th great scents out there. A couple that really stuck out were L'Homme, it looks like it has a lot of fans on here. Versace pour homme I noticed a few cheers for, I recently tried that scent on in the store and loved it and found that it lasted all day. So I'll definitely check that one out again. Thierry Mugler cologne is another one as I really do like citrus scents as long as their not too generic . I definitely like Dirty English a lot! However I find on my skin it has very little staying power . But it was still a good suggestion. I'll be sure to check out the chanel offerings too. Any further ideas would be welcome as I am in no hurry to find this scent, theres so many to try . I hope to talk to you all again very soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I, too, came to Basenotes seeking a couple of reviews of what I thought would become my signature scent. Here I am, two short months and a dozen bottles later...

Don't walk, run away!
    I feel compelled to offer the same warning

If inclined to tempt yourself with the classics any of the Colonia products by Acqua di Parma are really nice.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.