Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Musc Ravageur: poor shelf life?

I bought myself a 100mL bottle of Musc Ravageur from Barney's off Fifth Ave. a few months back -- I think it was early July -- and immediately fell in love with it. I found it to be extremely potent and intoxicating, with just a single spray being enough to last me a full day and then some. I wore it almost exclusively for a solid month before switching to other lesser colognes, lest I run out and need to come up with another $200 for a second bottle.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. Having not worn much of any cologne recently, and having not worn Musc Ravageur much for some months now, I decided to dust it off and put it back into the rotation. From the first spray, I immediately noticed it was more subdued and didn't last nearly as long. Where just a single spray used to hit me like a bat to the head and last seemingly forever, multiple sprays (2, 3, sometimes even 4) get me a few hours at most and smell so-so. The top notes and base notes alike just are there. It's almost like someone diluted it with a massive amount of water when I wasn't looking.

Stunned at the difference between what my bottle of Musc Ravageur smells like now and what it smelled like just a few months ago, I went over everything I thought it could be. I checked the bottle and everything seem sealed properly, and it looks like there's just as much there as when I last used it. I've kept it in a dark, cool place (my closet), so I have a hard time believing that any environmental extremes broke down the scents. I did put on some weight over the summer (~15 pounds), but I don't think my body chemistry has really changed since that was just me filling out again after losing weight while away at college (I refused to eat the crap they tried to pass off as food... getting food poisoning twice was more than enough).

Other than that, I don't really know what it could be. Am I missing something, or does Musc Ravageur just have crappy shelf life?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Musc Ravageur: poor shelf life?

mibi weather changed or You get used to it, make a break
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I personally cant comment on MR's shelf life, but perhaps one of the two following things might have occurred:

1. Due to repetitive exclusive use over that month period, you may no longer have the same olfactory response to the fragrance as you might have had when first introducing your nose to the scent.

2. A change in diet and/or medications can sometimes effect the way a scent smells on your skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a short amount of time and try it again. Your perception could have changed among other body chemistry issues. Also try it at different times of the day/night.

I experience this frequently and sometimes attribute it to having too many scents and not remembering exactly how each scent performs. I get very frustrated but ultimately when I come back to the scent yet again, the issues resolve.
    I also struggle with nasal allergies and this is a really bad time of year for that. The allergies can definitely cause this scenario for me.

I can't imagine MR has a shorter shelf life than anything else, I'd bet it's almost all, (if not all) synthetic.
    There is no real musk in it and even if there were, musk doesn't go off that quickly.
    I know Frederic Malle keeps their scents in the refrigerator at most points of sale and I know some Basenoters claim that the fridge has "brought their scents back to life" at times so you could try putting it in the fridge for a short while to see if it helps.

Please let us know if/how this issue resolves and welcome to Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Dimitri has summed it up perfectly above.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I have a 10ml decant of MR that's about 2 years old, but stored in proper conditions. I can concur and conclude that it went off after about a year, and I shared the same experiene with you. The topnotes vanished and the longevity diminished a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the mass majority of FM scents break apart after a while. I guess that's why they're told to be stored in a freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in more or less the same situation. I bought a 100ml bottle in the summer and haven't sprayed for weeks. Right now I've treated myself with two shots at each hand.

It's potent, really potent, no way of decreasing intensity. I think I sprayed too much. This is awesome stuff. It took a long time to appreciate this FM. First I thought it's way too feminine, now I think it's a slap in the face! Can you smell me? Do you have a nose in your head? That's my attitude nowadays with Musc Ravageur. I don't mean this personal at all, it's my state of mind when I wear this stuff. Vetiver Extraordinaire is the other fragrance I chose to buy 100ml. Oh my oh my, this is as well fantabolous ....
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

you got me interested in trying this stuff out

I might head to barneys after work, i never been there before

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorgias View Post
    I bought myself a 100mL bottle of Musc Ravageur from Barney's off Fifth Ave. a few months back -- I think it was early July -- and immediately fell in love with it. I found it to be extremely potent and intoxicating, with just a single spray being enough to last me a full day and then some. I wore it almost exclusively for a solid month before switching to other lesser colognes, lest I run out and need to come up with another $200 for a second bottle.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. Having not worn much of any cologne recently, and having not worn Musc Ravageur much for some months now, I decided to dust it off and put it back into the rotation. From the first spray, I immediately noticed it was more subdued and didn't last nearly as long. Where just a single spray used to hit me like a bat to the head and last seemingly forever, multiple sprays (2, 3, sometimes even 4) get me a few hours at most and smell so-so. The top notes and base notes alike just are there. It's almost like someone diluted it with a massive amount of water when I wasn't looking.

Stunned at the difference between what my bottle of Musc Ravageur smells like now and what it smelled like just a few months ago, I went over everything I thought it could be. I checked the bottle and everything seem sealed properly, and it looks like there's just as much there as when I last used it. I've kept it in a dark, cool place (my closet), so I have a hard time believing that any environmental extremes broke down the scents. I did put on some weight over the summer (~15 pounds), but I don't think my body chemistry has really changed since that was just me filling out again after losing weight while away at college (I refused to eat the crap they tried to pass off as food... getting food poisoning twice was more than enough).

Other than that, I don't really know what it could be. Am I missing something, or does Musc Ravageur just have crappy shelf life?
    Try spritzing out several squirts of the juice. I've had this happen a couple of times, and once I've cleared out the little tube, the juice was back to normal. Just something to try.