Code of Conduct

Default Menís fragrance suggestions, please?

Hello:

I have been trying different menís fragrances but have not found exactly what I am looking for, so I thought I would ask here. I am in my 40s and am looking for a nice fragrance for everyday wear. Something light and elegant with good longevity would be perfect. I donít like thick and syrupy scents, overly sweet scents, or things that smell like rotten seaweed. Something clean and somewhat woodsy but not too spicy would be great.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Menís fragrance suggestions, please?

These are nice...
    Vera Wang Vera Wang for men
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Egoiste

Welcome and good luck!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Light, classy scents, some with a bit of wood

Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana (Tuscan Cypress)
    Cedar by L'Occitane en Provence
    ** Eau de Rochas pour Homme ** fantastic!
    Encre Noir by Lalique
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo (wonderful vetiver/light spice)
    Roger & Gallet L'Homme and also Open
    Tsar
    Epicea by Creed

You can't go wrong with any of these, IMO.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    Hello:

I have been trying different menís fragrances but have not found exactly what I am looking for, so I thought I would ask here. I am in my 40s and am looking for a nice fragrance for everyday wear. Something light and elegant with good longevity would be perfect. I donít like thick and syrupy scents, overly sweet scents, or things that smell like rotten seaweed. Something clean and somewhat woodsy but not too spicy would be great.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Hey. Something for EVERYDAY wear would insinuate to me something good but affordable. There's plenty of frags that fit this category and price range.

EGOISTE is a good one.
    CHEVIGNON is good to go
    CARVEN HOMME is another money saver that's not overtly sweet.

I like these for work since they aren't "polarizing" scents.

gucci envy
    chanel allure homme
    maybe edition blanche, very lemony and nice

gd luck finding that perfect fragrance, i think ive found mine in allure.

Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate them very much.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    These are nice...
    Vera Wang Vera Wang for men
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Egoiste

Welcome and good luck!
    I second ur Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Egoiste and add HM by Hanae Mori!

I am in your age group and while I enjoy my oriental fragrances I cannot face them first thing in the morning. I usually wake up every morning seeking something 'fresh and invigorating and not too overpowering' and these are what I reach for very frequently:

- Trophee by Lancome (not sure if you find it easily these days) - clean freshness that lasts and lasts and lasts - it was created for a golfing event in the mid 80's and I'm still loving it
    - Eau d'orange verte by Hermes (both the original and the concentrate version - love them both as they just gives you a sense of well being the whole day)
    - Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene - this one is a big surprise on scent and price as it is very affordable and a very pleasant scent to use as well - it is something I reach for when I can't think of anything else to use
    - Bulgari 'Extreme' - although the name may suggest something really strong, it is not - very classy and rather light, soft and not intrusive but deceptively lasts a long time - very elegant and understated

Creed, Bois Du Portugal. Exspensive but the best. It is an oriental but not sickly sweet and smells very very masculaine. It is also very woodsy too; it was supposed to smell like the woods in Portugal. Come on this was a scent that Frank Sinatra fancied; if you don't believe me look Bois Du Portugal up in the BN directory. I wear this to the office, to Court, out with friends, and even on romatic evenings with my ladyfriend.

IMHO, I think Egoiste, which I LOVE, is too sweet for you; remember it has a strong and sweet vanilla note + a dry/sweet sandalwood note. It is very sweet; be careful. For example, see below for the notes of Egoiste:

Egoiste:

Tangerine, Brazilian Rosewood.

Middle Notes
    Coriander, Damask Rose.

Base Notes
    Sandalwood (dry sweet, paramus added), Vanilla, Ambrette seed.

PS, Eau De Orange Verte lasts about 15 minutes; you want to avoid citrus scents bc they are notorious for weak longevity.

I think Guerlain Vetiver is a good candidate; very refined scent, can wear it to office as well as out at night w. the ladyfriend.

Wth respect to Gucci Envy, I feel like it is not refined enough for you, you need something perfect if you are going to use this for every occassion.

Please try Bois Du Portugal, its a winner.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 23rd October 2008 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I have Eau de Rochas and Bowling Green and like them both. I do wear them occasionally. Rochas seems a bit too light for year-round use (love it in the summer), but Bowling Green is certainly a contender.

Since reading the responses to this post, I tried Guerlain Vetiver. I like it. I find it a bit Ivory Soap-ish in the middle (not necessarily a bad thing), but then it turns soft, smoky, and comforting. It seems smooth and subtle. This might be one that I could easily see myself wearing in many different situations. Thanks for suggesting it.

I also tried Dior Homme, which may seem to contradict what I said I was looking for. What a surprise. I love it! I’ve never smelled anything like it before. To me, it evokes the aroma of a dressing room in an old theater—redolent with greasepaint, faded perfume, tattered upholstery, history, and magic. That may sound loony, but that’s what I got, and I totally dig it. I’m definitely getting a small bottle of this, maybe not for everyday use but certainly as a special occasion (when I want to smell it) choice.

Thanks again. I’ll continue trying other recommendations as well.

Off-Scenter

If you like the overall vibe of Guerlain's Vetiver, but object to the "soap" element, I suggest giveing Lalique's Encre Noir a try. It's also a dry, sophisticated vetiver scent, but to my nose it's a bit less stuffy than the Guerlain, with more the smoky vetiver facet more prominent.

Default This Is A Test Comemnt

This is a TEST Comment
    Salman Khan
    Salman Khan
    http://www.google.com/
    http://www.google.com/

Have to echo what the others have said about Guerlain's Vetiver. I bought some as a gift for my husband a few years ago and it's delicious, streets ahead of any others he's worn. I can't think of an occasion when it doesn't suit really. Magnificently sophisticated and often steal some myself.

Have you tried Terre d'Hermes? It's a love it or hate it scent really, but I think it's gorgeous. I get a warm spicy softness from it, very sensual and yet clean. But the hubby reckons it stinks and banned it from the house!

A surprise for me was Eau des Baux by L'Occitane en Provence. I followed someone the other day down two flights of stairs to find out what it was.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de ThťrŤse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce AmŤre, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

I recommend Dior Homme. It is elegant, not a loud fragrance, perfect for work or evening.