Code of Conduct

Default Italian Fragrance Houses

Maybe shoulda tacked this onto my last post, but, here goes.

I'm going to Italy for a vacation soon, and want to pick up a few indigenous scents. Not Acqua di Parma or anything that's sold in Nordstrom (no offense). I'll be in Rome, Florence, Puglia, Sicily, and the general Tuscany region for the better part of 3 weeks.

Big or small, I'm open to anything.

Thanks so much for your help.

Best,
    Alex

Default Re: Italian Fragrance Houses

Have you looked at the City Shopping Guides section here on BN?

http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Just opened it. I'm looking for more personal suggestions though. Hole in the wall places, things like that. The city guide looks promising though, Thanks!

You have to go to the Santa Maria Novella store in Florence. It's apparently in an old church and has been selling from this location for hundreds of years. They didn't even sell outside of Florence until fairly recently. Any oh yes, their products and fragrances are fantastic.

Yes, the Santa Maria Novella store sounds nice.
    I also suggest I Profumi di Firenze -- they have an amazing assortment of scents.

I have been in Florence (Firenze) a couple of times. Great experiences, sadly pre-scent phase so I can't give you any first-hand experience. But if you are in Florence be sure to get to Sienna and San Gimignano -- fabulous. You are in chianti country! Enjoy!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

If you visit the Carthusia website, you will see store locations as well. Definitely some excellent fragrances in their range.

http://www.carthusia.it/CarthusiaWeb/showpage/1

Lorenzo Villoresi operates from Florence as well. Via dei Bardi, if my memory serves me correctly.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    You have to go to the Santa Maria Novella store in Florence. It's apparently in an old church and has been selling from this location for hundreds of years. They didn't even sell outside of Florence until fairly recently. Any oh yes, their products and fragrances are fantastic.
    Selling at more than one address in Firenze - the oldest is on the grounds of a former monestary. Google has the details.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th October 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexChesbro View Post
    Maybe shoulda tacked this onto my last post, but, here goes.

I'm going to Italy for a vacation soon, and want to pick up a few indigenous scents. Not Acqua di Parma or anything that's sold in Nordstrom (no offense). I'll be in Rome, Florence, Puglia, Sicily, and the general Tuscany region for the better part of 3 weeks.

Big or small, I'm open to anything.

Thanks so much for your help.

Best,
    Alex
    Enjoy. I'm jealous. My honeymoon was Amalfi Coast(avatar pic), Tuscany and Venice in 2006. a full week in Tuscany. Heaven on earth. Bring back some good stuff.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th October 2008 at 01:57 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

You can also find CoSTUME NATIONAL in Italy, whom have an impressive portfolio of scents to their credit.

I just got back from Italy! Spent 12 days there, Milan and Lake Como, Venice, Florence (and Chianti Classico wine region) and Rome. Weather was absolutely beautiful, enjoy yourself!

I did hit a few frag stops, mostly just poking around in various small farmaciaís and profumeriaís. La Gardenia is a pretty cool shop in Florence and Rome, kinda like an Italian Sephora but with some stuff you canít find in the US easily, the one in Rome I went to is on Via del Corso so you canít miss it. I would also highly recommend going to a little place called Cherry up on Via Francesco Crispi, which is high up above the Spanish Steps and Trinitaí dei Monti. Itís a tiny hole in the wall thatís packed with goodies like Villoresi, Parfumerie Generale, Nasomatto, Il Profumo, Diptyque, LíArtisan, and many other niche lines. Take your time there and talk to the wonderful ladies that run the shop, I could tell they are genuine frag enthusiasts! Then after youíre done and smelliní good, climb a little higher up the street go have aperitivi at one of the many roof top bars overlooking the city. A fabulous time is guaranteed!

Oh, and I did visit the Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella in Florence, which is right by the train station. A really unique experience totally worth the visit, really beautiful!
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."