Code of Conduct

Default EDCs. When to use them?

Hey all,

I was considering maybe getting a sample of a Guerlain eau de cologne such as Imperiale or Coq. So I have two questions for the group:

When do you wear an eau de cologne? Is there an appropriate occasion?

And finally, which Guerlain EDC do you like best?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Sur la Plage

Default Re: EDCs. When to use them?

Of the "traditional" Guerlain EDC's, I like Imperiale the best.

I don't necessarily wear traditional EDC's for any special occasion. I just think they are best when you are going to be in very hot weather, and you want to wear something light and refreshing - as opposed to something that is heavy/cloying.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th October 2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Imperiale for me too. I think this, along with Roger&Gallet Jean Marie Farina are the reference EDCs.
    I wear them when I need something cheering, uplifting and refreshing, I wear them (applied lightly) when I need a subtle fragrance, I wear them in the morning and they fade so I can wear something else later. I also wear them all day, refreshing often but most of all I wear them at night where they help me to imagine I am dropping off to sleep in the shade of a grove of citrus trees with a gentle breeze.....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Ditto hirsh_duckfinder. They're great for waking up with, esp when it's hot, and they fade quickly enough that you can easily wear something else later on.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Imperiale for me too. I think this, along with Roger&Gallet Jean Marie Farina are the reference EDCs.
    I wear them when I need something cheering, uplifting and refreshing, I wear them (applied lightly) when I need a subtle fragrance, I wear them in the morning and they fade so I can wear something else later. I also wear them all day, refreshing often but most of all I wear them at night where they help me to imagine I am dropping off to sleep in the shade of a grove of citrus trees with a gentle breeze.....
    I've heard that 4711, the original EDC, is very similar to Imperiale. WIth this in mind I'm wondering if a Guerlain EDC is even worth the money.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    I've heard that 4711, the original EDC, is very similar to Imperiale. WIth this in mind I'm wondering if a Guerlain EDC is even worth the money.
    Who can answer for you if it is worth the money? It certainly is for me. I know what to expect. EDCs are by their nature wonderful smelling short bursts of citrus backed up with a little herbs or woods. By buying a guerlain I know I am getting one of the finest examples of the genre

4711 is made very cheaply, the Guerlains are made with high quality oils. If 4711 is cheap, nasty instant coffee the Imperiale is a cup of freshly brewed from a wonderful blend.

If you are looking for a fragrance that lasts for ages then classic EDC is not that fragrance.

Please search basenotes for several excellent threads on classic or tradtional eaux de Cologne
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 12th October 2008 at 09:34 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I really like EDC's when I have exams. I wore Eau d'Orange Verte for a Neurobiology exam in Animal Phys this morning.

4711 is awesome-smelling.

You can pretty much do anything with EDC. I like to rub some into my hands after I wash them, and sometimes into my neck. It's definitely a refresher. I wouldn't want to spend that much on Guerlain EDC because it doesn't last long at all, but that's just personal preference.

Love EDC in hot weather - I keep a little atomiser in my handbag and refresh frequently, as the alcohol evaporating off the skin actually does cool you down. (Geek!)

Another good thing about EDC is that because it's a low concentration of perfume oil to carrier alcohol, it's a very discreet formulation. That makes it perfect for office wear, or any situation where you don't want to overpower people around you with your fragrance.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729