Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pencil Note? ( Cedar... or? )

I'm not just starting out, but I thought it would be useful to post for others seeking an answer to the same

Often in fragrances I detect a dry, woody, slightly sharp note that I tend to thinking of as a pencil smell - or more particular, the smell of pencil shavings.

I once read that that virginia cedar has a strong "pencil wood" smell, so I'm wondering if it's from that. It's certainly not cypress, pine, spruce or atlas cedar, as I've smelled all those in real life and in essential oil form and it's not that smell at all.

I smell it in CdG's Zagorsk, SMN's Citta di Kyoto and Serge Lutens new Serge Noir. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Pencil Note? ( Cedar... or? )

You were pretty much right on. Virginia and to a lesser extent Texas cedar are typically responsible for that pencil wood smell.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Good to know my essential oil book hasn't let me down, even if I'm too cheap to send away for the essential oils themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright....two suggestions right off the bat.

Gucci Rush: Some say it smells like Home Depot's lumber section. I say it smells like a cedar chest. Either way, do NOT spray this on and go in the vicinity of woodpeckers. You will be sorry!

New West by Aramis: Again, more cedar chest. This time with a nice herbal sage topper. Supposedly the flacon in which the scent arrives bear a resemblance to an amyl nitrate bottle. I dunno....perhaps urban legend. I do know that sniffing New West will NOT make you wanna chew on your carpeting. That much.

Oh, wait....one more. Visit by Azzaro. Cedar woodsy like a forest but with carnation and nutmeg throughout the lower-top and mid notes. My step-bro says it smells "...very forest-like".

Heck with it....sniff all three! You won't know unless you try.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the Gucci Pour Homme! That smells like pencil shavings in a cedar chest!

Post Thanks / Like

Polo Double Black, smells like pure pencil shavings.

And also a little bit in Valentino Pour Homme
    Last edited by Mystery; 22nd October 2008 at 10:19 AM.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

hmmm... both myself and my husband (who is an artist and on close terms with pencil shavings!) smell this in Ormonde Ta'if...have to check the notes ...

from the site:
    a torrid blend of saffron, pink pepper, rose, dark sappy tree resins and broom - it is dynamic, daring and madly in love with life.

I wonder if the tree resins and the broom are responsible for what I smell as pencil shavings. mind you, it's pencil shavings dipped in rose oil and something like vanilla to my nose.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 22nd October 2008 at 11:27 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

It's likel you're smelling Iso E Super...not a natural note like cedar. It's in almost every men's scent (and many women's scents) these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tree resin may well be a spicy note not unlike cedar. I would agree with Gucci Pour Homme and also find Juicy Couture Dirty English to be an excellent cedar fragrance.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Don't forget the Gucci Pour Homme! That smells like pencil shavings in a cedar chest!
    I m with you Chris......Gucci pour homme is THE option.....I bought a bottle of 100 ml some months ago.....Tremendous experience.....Loved!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------