Code of Conduct

Thread: Sweetness

Default Sweetness

As I have started this hobby and got more entrenched I have gone back more and more to designer ones to try and figure out what I like and don't like. In the past I would spray on a couple and buy my one scent. So today I did my usual trip to one of the scent areas around here and picked the Ulta/TJ Maxx trip...they are next door to each other.

The one thing I'm catching in some is the constant sweetness they are throwing in. Maybe it was obvious to some but I never thought about it unless it was like Le Male or the Strawberry Shortcake I smelled in Rochas Man. Just throwing out some names but:

Lacoste Pour Homme
    KC Black
    KC Reaction
    Brit
    Boss Pure
    Beckham Signature(new and I know it is Beckham)

even Code and some others that I refuse to put on cards to some extent had a very similar sweetness. I guess it is my kryptonite. I've maybe had only a few sweet ones that I thought were nice. I'm not talking cedar type sweetness either...more candy/fruity type sweetness

My wife would kill me for wearing any of this
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th October 2008 at 08:00 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sweetness

Welcome to the world of Safe Designer Mens Fragrances 2008. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Lucky for you, you've found Basenotes and never have to be subjected to scents like these at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Welcome to the world of Safe Designer Mens Fragrances 2008. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Lucky for you, you've found Basenotes and never have to be subjected to scents like these at all.

Yeah all of those were in the same vein and pretty much were hard to differentiate.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sweetness is a bit of a kryptonite for me, as well, and it's arguably even more widespread in women's perfumery. I've sniffed it done well (Profumum does 'sweet' gorgeously) but it's usually tinny and sharp. Ick.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry