Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Dirty dirty musk -- love it or hate it? (In your SO's view)

'Musk' and I have been good friends since High School. We like to hang out together a lot and I always enjoy her company. She's a bit raunchy, sexy, and dirty -- but that's what I like about her. However, my girlfriend hates her and does not want me to do anything with her. Whenever I go out with Musk, my girlfriend says that it makes me look "dirty" -- and that people will look down negatively on me. My girlfriend even got pissed last Thanksgiving when I just took Musk out for a cup of double shot latte and some stuffed turkey bagel with cream cheese. Hell, it's not like I slept and had sex with Musk or anything! She also hates Musk's best friend -- Civetia and . There wasn't much I could do -- I was frustrated. So now I maintain a secret forbidden relationship with Musk. Instead of taking Musk out to the outside world, I now secretly sleep with her at night at my apartment when my girlfriend is away. Ooh, Musk, how I love your sexy dirty figure. Here, let me tie you in leather and pour down resinous labdanum on your body and light up fiery incense. So morally wrong, yet it feels so good....

Okay, let's stop there before it gets too far. So -- what does your 'significant other' think of musky dirty scents? Particularly ones you enjoy. Do they love it or hate it? For me -- my girlfriend usually can not stand any significant amount of musk. It drives her crazy -- so I have to wear it when she isn't around, which is sadly mostly when I'm alone in my bedroom at night.
    Last edited by moltening; 18th October 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Default Re: Dirty dirty musk -- love it or hate it? (In your SO's view)

Make your own musk (if you get what im saying) haha
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Smells like sex, not appropriate for every occassion but if you and your lady go out for a romatic dinner or something similar then Musk is very appropriate, however if you are taking a walk, going to work, hanging out with friends, or just kicking back and watching a movie then Musk should be left on the shelf. I have a nice size bottle of sex Musk but it only comes out for those times when, well you know.

My ladyfriend likes the Musk and told me "It smells like a man." I specifically asked her this and the other night we went through about 1/2 of my fragrances and smelled them individually because I wanted to get her opinion and she was ok with the Musk. BTW the Musk I refer to is Renee, Musk which is a very nichey fragrance out of Australia that smells exactly like Musc Ravageur; very very similar. Picked it up at the BN meetup at ScentBar and another BN agreed that it smelled exactly like Musc Ravageur. However, Renee, Musk is a pure Parfum and is very very strong; exceptional longevity + sillage that is not overbearing. I will vouch for this scent anyway, wonderful stuff. If you want a refined sexually-charged fragrance then pick up a bottle at luckyscent.com
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 19th October 2008 at 12:13 AM.

I like musk, but I've avoided any self-described dirty ones after an encounter with Ava Luxe's Rasa Extreme.

Seriously one of the worst things I've ever smelled. It wasn't musk. It was the olfactory equivalent of using my wrist for toilet paper.

I've been scared of "dirty musk" ever since.

Wow Moltening, you are spot on with your description and your girlfriend! My wife doesn't particularly like it and I really like the stuff. I just got Kiehl's and really like it and surprisingly enough, my wife liked it too (after the civit note mellowed out). I can't afford Musc Rav, so I will have to stick with the Kiehl's for now and even Jovan Musk every now and again (I wore this stuff all the time in high school).

Great post Molt..!

i love musk...my g friend likes musk on me but not on her...funny post btw
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Love the post

I've been blessed with a girlfriend who approves of musk and even indulges in a three way with me and musk

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Love it, but don't take it outside. People wouldn't understand.

Blog Entries

i think my wife LIKES the way musk smells on me....but when we're at a shop seeing stuff that says 'musk' on it...she always says "eww i hate musk!"

so when i wear it, i just don't tell her it's a musk fragrance!

Many of the dirtiest musks (i.e. MKK) don't have much projection, so they are actually rather safe scents to wear out without worry.

Mrclmind points out a truth here - that some the dirtiest musks play close to the skin and don't blare their message. There's an attorney I know who wears a musk scent almost daily. It's not a "clean-laundry" musk, but a quietly animalic one. You don't notice it until your'e within the circumference of his desk. Now, this is a white shirt and wingtips kind of guy - involved in tax and corporate law, (if you know anything about the legal field, this is NOT a drama-queen litigator we're talking about). It's the kind of fragrance that makes me feel like ripping his cufflinks off.

I have a musk deodorant that has that sorta Jovan/Coty Musk thing going on and people say I smell nice and I say it is just my deodorant. I think somewhere along the Aqua Cucumber Melon Di Gicrap phase that somehow Musk became a negative term. I have sprtiz Jovan Musk on a tester in a store and had people say it smells like an expensive soap and then can't believe it when it says Musk on it. Personally I think Musk is great if applied lightly and maybe paired with a Musky bodywash and deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Mrclmind points out a truth here - that some the dirtiest musks play close to the skin and don't blare their message. There's an attorney I know who wears a musk scent almost daily. It's not a "clean-laundry" musk, but a quietly animalic one. You don't notice it until your'e within the circumference of his desk. Now, this is a white shirt and wingtips kind of guy - involved in tax and corporate law, (if you know anything about the legal field, this is NOT a drama-queen litigator we're talking about). It's the kind of fragrance that makes me feel like ripping his cufflinks off.
    Damn, can you find out what frag that is and, ummm, get back to me? LOL

I like musk and civet. I tend to perceive them usuaslly as rather soft and warm, cozy. Scents that smell like body odor tend to have more than musk in them to get them to smell dirty. For me, cumin and patchouli are notes that could go either way in that sense - they can smell great or dirty.

LOL, you sound melancholy to some extent when the loneliness strikes you! I'd suggest you to layer yourself with a cup of honey, and spray some Jovan Musk or Kiehl's Musk and see what happens. Girls love honey on skin If you're afraid that ants would eat you alive then layer Musk with Tea for Two. I remember how you adore the honey note in Tea for Two, and I'm enjoying it a lot from a sample vial straight from LS.

I own Jovan Musk and have tried Kiehl's Musk. They both share some similarities, with real musk strongly pronouced. Jovan is on a dirty, animalic side, whilst Kiehl's is gentle, shy, but charming. By the way, which musk have you been using?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

BTW, I was laying in bed with my lady last night and she took a wifff of my neck and asked me what I was wearing bc I smelled amazing; it was Renee, Musk. She said it smelled different then when she smelled it; the time I reference in my previous post.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 24th October 2008 at 08:47 PM.