Code of Conduct

Default I Found It! A Scent that has No Negatives!

Every day and night, when I spray on a different fragrance, I always read the Fragrance Directory to see what other opinions are. You know the feeling you get when you read a negative review of a scent that's dear to you? For me it usually goes, "How can he think that?" I've long been intrigued by the negative opinions on a scent that I find so dear, so lately I've been searching for a fragrance that has NO NEGATIVES, and tonight, I think I've found it!

Now, there are probably more, but the one I've discovered is...drumroll, please...NEMO by Cacharel! I love this fragrance and am delighted that most everyone else does so as well...though I agree with the comments that THIS FRAG SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED! It just smells so damned good, and the bottle is a star in my collection. To the guys who don't know it, you can rest assured that this is a "safe" blind buy that apparently, everyone likes! (If any scent is safe...) And even better, there are a NUMBER of reviews, not just one or two.

Have you found other scents that get no degoratory comments?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 19th October 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Default Re: I Found It! A Scent that has No Negatives!

Great question! May I ask what you like so much about it? That is always interesting.
    And what about the name. Nemo, as I remember, was the mysterious submarine captain in Jules Verne's 2000 leagues under the sea.
    Also the pointy-eared underwater character in many a Marvel comics episode. He would need a marine scent...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Great question! May I ask what you like so much about it? That is always interesting.
    And what about the name. Nemo, as I remember, was the mysterious submarine captain in Jules Verne's 2000 leagues under the sea.
    Also the pointy-eared underwater character in many a Marvel comics episode. He would need a marine scent...
    Despite my huge collection and many years of loving scent, I'm still pretty unsophisticated in terms of specific notes, etc...the only thing I can say is that it just plain-out smells great!

I love the sweet incense of Nemo. 50ml bottles aren't too hard to come by. It's a positive in my book.

There are many scents with no negative reviews that I have seen especially with the discontinued fragrances. The two that comes to my mind right now are:

YSL M7 Fresh (29 positive | 2 neutral)
    Creed Feuille Verte (9 positive | 1 neutral)

Both of which are limited edition's...

But sometimes a neutral review can be as bad as a negative review just like one of the neutral reviews from Cacharel Nemo:

Should be sold in a candy store. The scent is too much like all the rest of the 'candy, sweet frag's.
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 19th October 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Eau de Cartier is another example. 19 positives, 4 neutrals, and 0 negatives.

I haven't reviewed it since I don't really have anything to add. It is a wonderful inoffensive fragrance for the summer months. Cartier is often berated for a lack of complexity in their scents, but isn't that what we seek in an "Eau" fragrance anyway? My roommates think it is too girly for me, but I couldn't care less.

Congratulations!

I'm still searching, though.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

AromiErotici

Patou Prive is another.

I have not (yet!!!) tried Prive, but I assure you, I will soon. I have however had a decant of Patou Pour Homme and I swear to you, it is the finest male scent I have ever smelled. It truly is sex in a bottle.

Halston Unbound for Men only has positive reviews. No neutral. No negative.

15-0-0.

Not that I would keep track of these things or anything.

I just got a sample vial but haven't fully tried it yet. Everyone says it's a better, cheaper Acqua di Gio analog. It tentatively seems pretty lasting, though it may be a bit much of that watermelon candy accord for me.

I'm don't understand why it would be important to find a scent that no one dislikes, would that necessarily make it a good one for you?
    Last edited by mrclmind; 19th October 2008 at 06:44 AM.

I just happened to notice it the other day is all. I thought it was interesting that whatever it is about that particular scent manages to get it such good reactions across the board.

Which isn't to say that it will be a good one for me. So I guess these ratings mean that it's very "safe" more than it's assuredly good for any given person.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    I just happened to notice it the other day is all. I thought it was interesting that whatever it is about that particular scent manages to get it such good reactions across the board.

Which isn't to say that it will be a good one for me. So I guess these ratings mean that it's very "safe" more than it's assuredly good for any given person.
    I hear what you're saying. I haven't tried Nemo yet. I saw a bottle at a little shop the other day, maybe I'll just have to pick one up!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 19th October 2008 at 07:19 AM.

Some more:

Polo Crest (16 positive | 4 neutral)

Wild Fern (5 positive | 1 neutral)

Grafton (3 positive | 3 neutral)

I have put everything I own into an excel sheet and ordered them by % of positive reviews.

Surprisingly, or perhaps not, the three fragrances in my collection that I didn't buy myself (Tommy (Tommy Hilfiger), Hugo (Hugo Boss), and Polo Sport (Ralph Lauren)) are practically dead last. The one spoiler at the bottom is CK Eternity, but that one isn't exactly my favorite either.

If I rank them by negative reviews, nothing much changes. Fahrenheit is pretty down there as well, but that is something I don't agree with.

Conclusion: if something isn't reviewed favorably here, chances are that I won't like it myself. Which is cool, because it makes it a lot easier to select new stuff.

I'll add a couple of observations.
    This reviewing process is both voluntary, and selective. That is, people choose to review and also often will pre-select what they want to review. Of course we are all given samples and review them. But usually we seek out particular scents, and comment on them.
    There are certain types of scent that I can pretty much guarantee that I won't like. So I don't even bother to comment on them. I don't want to spend time scrubbing things off when I could be wearing something I enjoy.
    I agree that as the number of positive reviews rises, we can see that scent X pleases a lot of people. But there has been a pre-screening process, in which many negative reviews won't appear.
    Further, this system works best for widely popular scents.
    I like scents that I find are outside the mainstream. There, the sample of responses is much smaller and often opinions are polarized. That is to be expected.
    In no sense am I being elitist here. I don't think scent X is "better" than scent Y. But I just know how my taste works, and how I use BN.
    What I often do is get a sense of reviewers whose tastes might line up with my own, or whose comments I trust. If they say a scent is worth trying, I will. But I still don't expect to like it just because they do.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 19th October 2008 at 01:36 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I, as a few allready might have noticed, am a bit obsessed with Nemo. This is a snippet of my collection:

Nemo is what I always wanted Declaration to be; subtle spices instead of loud and a smoky, sensual character to go with it. And -- viola! -- then I "found Nemo".
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by uXses View Post
    I have put everything I own into an excel sheet and ordered them by % of positive reviews.
    That's excactly what I did. With a comment line where I can add comments.
    Almost 100% blind buys which I liked. Besides Francesco smalto had 17-2-0 and I hated it. Its too old fashioned. If there are no negative reviews its mostly because its a classic from the 80's. I wont ever be fooled by "0" negs. I start looking at the year mostly! Its that important. Patou ph homme wasnt for me either. I'm 26 and this definetly doesn't appeal to me

AromiErotici

Pancaldi is another with no haters (yet). Great juice and impossible to find unless you pay a ransom.

Kouros Fraîcheur has no neutral or negative reviews. Only 11 positive.
    BLIND-BUY IT!
    NOW.
    You know you want to.

Rive Guache has 8 negatives... Poor guys, they just do not get it.
    Last edited by irish; 20th October 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Arome 3 by D'Orsay, no neutral, let alone the negative!!!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

You guys have noted some well-reviewed scents that I wasn't familar with, so I'll check 'em out.

Please don't confuse my interest in "opinions" on a fragrance as determining what I'll own or wear! I think everyone will agree that we wear scents for ourselves. While we would like for others to think well of our SOTD, I doubt that most people select a wardrobe by what other people think of a particular fragrance...but reading what other people think is kinda fun, particularly if we disagree with them!

For instance, the neutral review of Nemo mentioned its candy-like sweetness...I personally couldn't disagree more, but to each his/her own!

Your thread title reminds me of an old Hewlett-Packard ad for their [once popular] calculators: "A Calculator That Has No Equal". If you get the joke, you are probably: 1) a geek, and 2) over 50. Sadly, I'm both.

KiatBKK: your avatar is a HOOT!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    I, as a few allready might have noticed, am a bit obsessed with Nemo. This is a snippet of my collection:

Nemo is what I always wanted Declaration to be; subtle spices instead of loud and a smoky, sensual character to go with it. And -- viola! -- then I "found Nemo".
    I have never tried Nemo on my skin, but it is the perfect scent for my husband.
    Maybe I should give it a try. It is incensy and sweet and sour without being too much. I

Nemo was always hard to get in the U.S., even before discontinuation. The first bottle I gave my husband was purchased in Paris in 2000. We asked our friends from the Netherlands to bring us a bottle every time they came to visit. Later on we found it on the web.

I absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I have never tried Nemo on my skin, but it is the perfect scent for my husband.
    Maybe I should give it a try. It is incensy and sweet and sour without being too much. I

Nemo was always hard to get in the U.S., even before discontinuation. The first bottle I gave my husband was purchased in Paris in 2000. We asked our friends from the Netherlands to bring us a bottle every time they came to visit. Later on we found it on the web.

I absolutely love it.
    I stumbled across my first bottle in the tax-free shop at Copenhagens airport. It was actually the shape of the bottle that lured me in. 99perfume.com keeps the 1.0oz and 1.7oz bottles at fair prices still.

I urge you to try it on your own skin. I'm certain that you would get a lot of compliments wearing it. Nemo is unique in many ways, perhaps mostly because of the unusual betel leaf.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Signoricci 14/2/2

I bought blind for that....I m a little bit sad about my buy. No big deal.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    Signoricci 14/2/2

I bought blind for that....I m a little bit sad about my buy. No big deal.
    Apologies.....I said 14/2/2.............and its: 14/2/0
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I'm don't understand why it would be important to find a scent that no one dislikes, would that necessarily make it a good one for you?
    My feelings exactly.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I blind bought minis of the discontinued fragrances Boss Sport and Nina Ricci Phileas, after a lot of positive and almost no negative reviews here on BN. Boss Sport I HATE it. Phileas I respect it, but dont like it on myself.
    Last edited by brianroy; 20th October 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post

i like my blindbuy Declaration & am in suspense how nemo will be.
    Last edited by sanatik; 20th October 2008 at 02:17 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    i like my blindbuy Declaration & am in suspense how nemo will be.
    Declaration is a wonderful scent. Somehow it feels like christmas to me. Anyway, Nemo will surely be an interesting experience for you.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Kouros Fraîcheur has no neutral or negative reviews. Only 11 positive.
    BLIND-BUY IT!
    NOW.
    You know you want to.

Rive Guache has 8 negatives... Poor guys, they just do not get it.
    I get it, just wasn't for me. I don't think I would give it a negative review but a neutral. Not worth the hype IMHO but not bad by any means. That is what I think of neutral reviews..people on the fence or they don't love opr hate it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 20th October 2008 at 03:07 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

AH! Saying that RG has the best drydown EVER is not overhyping.:brolly:
    Last edited by irish; 20th October 2008 at 03:27 PM.

I think the idea of getting a fragrance that has no negative comments is to have a state of mind where you know that no one on BN dislikes it. Of course, I have fragrances that I truly adorn which currently has negative comments by some members and it sorta makes me sad so when I get a fragrance such as Mitsouko where the positive overpowers the negative comments, I somewhat feel better!

All Psychological! I Think I Need to Visit my Shrink!

-Mark

Happy Sniffing!

My new favorite, thanks to you guys, Guerlain Imperiale, has 12 positives, 3 nuetral, and no neg. I love this so much in fact I purchased 3 bottles. The first one was 70 bucks on fragrancenet, the 2nd and 3rd were 33 dollars on amazon. What a deal on amazon!

Another one:

Chevignon (9 positive | 3 neutral )

Guys...

Roger Gallet Open :- has no negative review...a true under rated gem IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr16 View Post
    Guys...

Roger Gallet Open :- has no negative review...a true under rated gem IMHO
    I couldn't agree more. I love Open and agree it's highly unknown/underrated.

I actually prefer the negative reviews sometimes. It let's me know when I've found something I'll probably end up liking. But then again I like the scents that are "boring" and that smell good. I know, crazy!
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!